PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going

dan67
05-Sep-09, 08:09
hi is anybody going to the auction in the Mackays Hotel today what is advertised in the Groat?

Kevin Milkins
05-Sep-09, 09:03
Can anyone explain to me in laymans terms what a custom and excise bonded warehouse sale is? and then tell me if this is not yet another marketing scam.

riggerboy
05-Sep-09, 09:51
Can anyone explain to me in laymans terms what a custom and excise bonded warehouse sale is? and then tell me if this is not yet another marketing scam.

its a sale of all the cheap stuff that they havent sold in airports and such like, i once got a watch worth over £200 for just under £30,

apparently the bonded warehouse is only allowed to have stock for a certain length of time,
airports "i have been told " are only allowed to display bonded stock for a specific time

i do doubt however that this will be a correct sale by customs, as they are normally held in the major cities .

stixie
05-Sep-09, 10:06
ooh sounds interesting, what time does it start?

Would anyone know if there is anywhere online i could find out some info?

Thanks

ciderally
05-Sep-09, 11:44
if it sounds too good to be true ....it usually is....be carefull, i just wonder why come all the way up here...its not out of love thats for sure..??

newpark
05-Sep-09, 12:16
intrested to hear how it went. We popped down to Mackays a look but it was so busy even outside we never bothered going in.

Bradcon
05-Sep-09, 12:53
My dad was there. He said they had only sold 3 laptops by 12.15 and they went for around £400 each. Cases of wine went for £35.

Kevin Milkins
05-Sep-09, 13:08
My dad was there. He said they had only sold 3 laptops by 12.15 and they went for around £400 each. Cases of wine went for £35.

I remember a friend of mind saying that he went to one of these type of auctions and it transpired that they had a bottom price for the goods on sale and to get people excited and in the buying mood, they would knock down a few prize items to stooges in the room and then take bids off the wall to bump up prices when people where bidding.
I will be very interested to see if there are any real bargains to be had.

katarina
05-Sep-09, 14:18
went down a look. But too crowded. I haven't seen any of these TVs, computers or enormous pictures for sale in airports. So shouldn't think that's where they came from.

Rourkee
05-Sep-09, 16:39
Sounds too good to be true. Why travel all the way up here paying for fuel, wages etc. when (if it is such a bargain)you could sell the stuff in any major city closer to your warehouse?

Alice in Blunderland
05-Sep-09, 17:54
By selling up here then heading south all complaints and enquiries afterwards have to be done from a distance.

If the items bought go faulty is there any decent guarantee and what about customer after care. I find these sales just a little too good to be true so tend to avoid them. :)

northener
05-Sep-09, 18:25
I remember a friend of mind saying that he went to one of these type of auctions and it transpired that they had a bottom price for the goods on sale and to get people excited and in the buying mood, they would knock down a few prize items to stooges in the room and then take bids off the wall to bump up prices when people where bidding.
I will be very interested to see if there are any real bargains to be had.

Mock auction.

They used to be fairly common in Blackpool until Trading Standards started leaning on them heavily.

There may be one or two genuine bits from a bonded warehouse, but it's just marketing cobblers really. Same stuff you can get flogged at any market or country show - different hat, thats all.

I know one person who bought a laptop today. It was a Dell 2 gig. I couldn't see what model number unfortunately, but if it cost £400 I'd be suprised if they'd made any real saving.

And they were alse clutching a box with the folowing legend printed in huge letters on the side: " Shop samples only - NOT for resale"......wonder how much that went for?????

highland red
05-Sep-09, 20:08

I'm highly suspicious of this (maybe unwarranted) because Customs hasn't been HM Customs and Excise now for a few years and I don't think that they would revert to branding themselves back from what is currently H.M. Revenue and Customs.

I would be interested to see the ad (but typical I haven't got a copy of the paper this week).

It would be interesting to see just what sort of "bonded" items that were being offered (and their origins).

Not too sure about this: there are some fairly dodgy "Customs and Excise/Police" websites on the net.

You know how the saying goes: "if it seems too good to be true, it usually is".;)

All the best.

Kevin Milkins
05-Sep-09, 21:48
This is the web site of the auctioners. www.charlesphillips.com (http://www.charlesphillips.com)

I had a count up of the goods on offer in the groat and it ammounted to 1395 lots.:eek: . It also states that the sale starts at 11-00am promt and viewing can take place for one hour before the sale, so not exactly a great deal of time to make an informed risk assessment before hand.:confused

George Brims
05-Sep-09, 21:48
I'll tell you what, I wouldn't pay 35 pence never mind 35 quid for a case of wine, without knowing how it had been stored. Could be 12 bottles of vinegar! Or in one case years back, formaldehyde (defective cork).

suzieQ
06-Sep-09, 12:32
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the perfume was display samples, an i cant find the makers name anywhere on the net.
small TVs an laptops, some where going for more than what you can buy them in tesco for.
THEY MADE THOUSANDS. They made ten thousand in just 5 lots.
They wer selling signed memrabelia for about 5 hundred pounds, telling folk about how much they could make on it.
We will never go back as we where not happy with the quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venture
06-Sep-09, 14:42
There must have be an awful lot of gullible people visited Mackay's Hotel yesterday then if they made thousands and thousands.

northener
06-Sep-09, 15:06
There must have be an awful lot of gullible people visited Mackay's Hotel yesterday then if they made thousands and thousands.

Oh, you bet...there's nothing as greedy and gullible as someone who thinks they're getting a bargain......

Mik.M.
06-Sep-09, 20:55
Oh, you bet...there's nothing as greedy and gullible as someone who thinks they're getting a bargain......
Like the bloke I used to work with in London who bought a TV from one of these "auctions". When he got home he plugged it in and suprise suprise it didn`t work.He got someone to come and have a look at it and it had half the workings missing. And yes he did try contacting the company who seemed to have disappeared.:lol: It couldn`t have happened to a better person,he was always telling us how much he got things for or how much profit he made from selling things.

George Brims
06-Sep-09, 21:03
A common scam in the LA area used to be blokes coming up to you with a van with TVs or stereo equipment and offering to sell it cheap. Often there would be bits missing. I remember turning down a set of Bose speakers because (a) I figured they might be nicked and (b) I thought they might be fakes. Later I learned the loudspeakers were often just empty boxes, with bricks inside to make them weigh right.

I know what you mean about that sort of bloke. I used to work with one who would make a fifty mile round trip to save 1 cent a gallon on petrol!

Bazeye
07-Sep-09, 01:42
A common scam in the LA area used to be blokes coming up to you with a van with TVs or stereo equipment and offering to sell it cheap. Often there would be bits missing. I remember turning down a set of Bose speakers because (a) I figured they might be nicked and (b) I thought they might be fakes. Later I learned the loudspeakers were often just empty boxes, with bricks inside to make them weigh right.

I know what you mean about that sort of bloke. I used to work with one who would make a fifty mile round trip to save 1 cent a gallon on petrol!

Ah, a gallon........the good old days. Btw the last time I bought some petrol it was 76p a gallon.