PDA

View Full Version : Driver safety video.

northener
04-Sep-09, 19:24
Bearing in mind some of the discussions on here regarding young drivers, I thought it would be relevant to post the following two videos which were comissioned by Gwent Police.

I believe they should be part of a driver awareness package taught and discussed in every single school in Britain.

Please bear in mind that the first video is VERY hard hitting.

[edit] dammit, can't embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I54mlK0kVw&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbFJWDqc0C4&feature=player_embedded

Discuss.

Kevin Milkins
04-Sep-09, 19:40
I was listening to this on the Jeremey Vine show on radio 2 today and it sounded dramatic on the radio, but watching those vidio clips was knee jerking (and I have first hand experiance of many RTA's.

I would think any young driver watching that will give a bit more consideration to the dangers of being in charge of a motor car, well done Gwent police.

Thanks for posting that N.

joxville
04-Sep-09, 19:42
I heard about the video on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show today, it's aimed mainly at young people but applies to everyone. Of course, no-one here on the org ever texts whilst driving because we are all sensible people, aren't we?

I must admit, I've done it in the past, in the early days of owning a mobile phone but can now claim not to text whilst driving because my fingers are too big for the buttons on modern phones. Also, aside from the greater volume of traffic here that demands full attention, there are so many traffic cameras where I live I'm the unlucky one that would get caught doing it.

Venture
04-Sep-09, 21:05
I certainly know of one young lady driving a blue corsa today on the Watten to Wick road who should be shown this film. She paid more attention to her mobile phone than her driving, narrowly missing a 4 x 4 on one occasion. Not at all bothered by this she continued to text even while parking the car at her destination. Unbelievable.[disgust]

Phill
04-Sep-09, 21:52
Typical wimmin drivers, multitasking my bottom!!

[SERIOUS]
I doubt even something like this will reach home with some people.
It's like the Holby or Casuality tellybox programs, or London's Burning.

No surprises and very predictable.

The directors need to be a lot smarter with their cinematography, the "accident" needs to come out of nowhere and then afterwards point out why it happened.

Don't get me wrong, the cause I support but I doubt it's going to hit where it needs to.
:(

northener
04-Sep-09, 21:59
Typical wimmin drivers, multitasking my bottom!!

[SERIOUS]
I doubt even something like this will reach home with some people.
It's like the Holby or Casuality tellybox programs, or London's Burning.

No surprises and very predictable.

The directors need to be a lot smarter with their cinematography, the "accident" needs to come out of nowhere and then afterwards point out why it happened.

Don't get me wrong, the cause I support but I doubt it's going to hit where it needs to.
:(

Disagree with you there, Phill.

'Show, don't tell'.

Mik.M.
04-Sep-09, 22:03
I certainly know of one young lady driving a blue corsa today on the Watten to Wick road who should be shown this film. She paid more attention to her mobile phone than her driving, narrowly missing a 4 x 4 on one occasion. Not at all bothered by this she continued to text even while parking the car at her destination. Unbelievable.[disgust]
All too common in Caithness. A few more prosecutions for it may help but the Police never seem to be around or are looking the other way.

Phill
04-Sep-09, 22:53
'Show, don't tell'.

I get what yer sayin', but the film is just so....yeah, yeah, yeah.
I was watching it whilst eating my tea and the thought in my mind was Holby! As I am often eating my tea whilst being inflicted with said program by wifey.

There wasn't much there to make me sit up, take notice and think.
I hadn't heard anything about this until I read the thread and as soon as the clip started I knew where it was going.

Agree, Show. But it really needs to be right out of nowhere, you've been tangoed, take you eye of the ball for a second whammy.

The driver training and licensing in this country needs a major overhaul, and yes, it does need to start in school.

The culture needs to change.

Kevin Milkins
08-Sep-09, 17:41
My mother in law sent me a newspaper clipping from the Sun about this video clip, (it was made very near to where she lives) and it has had over 5 million hits on you tube and has made headlines world wide. Not bad for a £10.000 budget.
Cops' safety vid is YouTube hit | Gwent Police safety video | Text ... (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/article2622839.ece)

lister
08-Sep-09, 17:54
Hard hitting but true to life..should be part of the test,to watch and learn from.
Reality T.V. !!!

joxville
18-Jan-10, 20:40
I remembered this thread when looking through tonights tv schedule, the program synopsis seemed familiar.

From Radio Times website:

Only Stwpd Cowz Txt N Drive

Monday 18 January
8:30pm - 9:00pm
BBC3

This feels like an extended version of one of those highly commendable government adverts that reveal the dangers of drink-driving or failing to fasten your seatbelt in excruciating detail. Made in association with Gwent police, it follows happy-go-lucky valley girl Cassie Cowan, who skives off work to visit a pregnant mate. All too soon, the teenagers are giggling away on the motorway, playing with their mobiles, when Cassie takes her eyes off the road... If you can't guess the horrifying consequences, the slow-motion special effects leave little to the imagination.

upolian
18-Jan-10, 21:10
somebody is a good driver out running the police tonight,ohhhhh such excitement

Blarney
18-Jan-10, 23:15
So why didn't you take her registration number and report her? If you later heard that she had caused a serious accident you would be eaten up with guilt. Prevention is preferable to regret.

Invisible
18-Jan-10, 23:20
Blimey thats a hard hitting video.

Phill
18-Jan-10, 23:30
Now c'mon.
Let's get a grip. Texting and driving, or should that be txt n drvn m8, isn't such a big deal.
Y'know, it'd help if they made the screens bigger on the phones. Then it'd be easier to read with all the vibrations an'all, 'specially when your wheels are bouncin' on the cats eyes.

You wanna try mobile tinterweb. How d'you think people go on driving whilst surfin' the dotorg, gettin outraged and posting a reply on the forum whilst overtaking on a blind bend, over a hill summit in the dark n' fog with a headlamp out and keepin a trail o' traffic behind yer doin' 40!

It's not easy y'know. I can tell yer.

Mik.M.
19-Jan-10, 09:08
So why didn't you take her registration number and report her? If you later heard that she had caused a serious accident you would be eaten up with guilt. Prevention is preferable to regret.
I know why you shouldn`t report her.Because nothing will come of it,did this 2 weeks ago regarding a different incident,still not heard from the rozzers.