PDA

View Full Version : Army careers advisor

Stefan
04-Sep-09, 16:25
I was wondering if there is anywhere nearer than Inverness to speak to an army careers advisor.
Anybody know ?

davie
04-Sep-09, 16:31
Inverness (Bridge Street ?) is the nearest office.

compo
04-Sep-09, 17:16
there is an office at the TA hall in dempster street wick.

rs 2k
04-Sep-09, 17:16
Hi

My son was going to the army cadet hall in wick

The Inverness lot come up every so often

go there and make an appointment thats your best bet

Hope this helps
:)

rs 2k
04-Sep-09, 17:17

Thanx i couldn't mind the name of the street [lol]

BRIE
04-Sep-09, 19:06
sgt kevin mcwilliams usually comes up from Inverness every tuesday :D

Bruce
04-Sep-09, 21:33
why would you want to join the army???couldnt think of a worse job!!!

bekisman
04-Sep-09, 21:51
Putting your arm down someone's bog might not be someone elses idea of a good job either (your job?)

Rheghead
05-Sep-09, 02:25
I was wondering if there is anywhere nearer than Inverness to speak to an army careers advisor.
Anybody know ?

Are Germans allowed in the British army?:confused

Aaldtimer
05-Sep-09, 03:03

Why not? The (Free State)Irish/Fijians/Ghurkas/Indians/Pakistanis, etc are.
I don't think it's for Stefan himself he's enquiring though.

compo
05-Sep-09, 08:47
i have known germans south africans canadians and more serving in the british army. so yes why not.

Stefan
05-Sep-09, 09:00

sgt kevin mcwilliams usually comes up from Inverness every tuesday :D

Oh thanks, we'll give them a shout and see.

Actually the army trains in over 140 jobs, so which one are you referring to?

Yes they are, but what has that do with my question?
If you are referring to my nationality how would you know that German is my only nationality and that I want to join the army.
As a matter of fact I couldn't join the army.
Totally unrelated to my nationality/ies but I am simply too old.

locini
05-Sep-09, 09:21

What a silly comment to make... :eek:

Fluff
05-Sep-09, 11:08

Why wouldn't you want to join the armed forces? Get paid to see the world, cheap houses, good pension and a stable job! If they would have me, I would join the Navy in a heartbeat!

EDDIE
05-Sep-09, 11:27
Why wouldn't you want to join the armed forces? Get paid to see the world, cheap houses, good pension and a stable job! If they would have me, I would join the Navy in a heartbeat!

I think joining the army these days is a lot different to say 20 odd years ago .The armys are getting involved in a lot more conflict and different form of war were they cant really see the enemy because there disguised as citizens so there more vunerable to attack.
I most certaninly would not want paid to see the world if meant going to iraq or afganiston and whats the point in haveing a stable job if going to places like iraq or afganiston is goinging to risk mentally effecting u or puting ure life in danger fighting a conflict thats nothing do with the uk and for iraq or afgan its going to at least another couple of generations of people for it to becomes truley democratic society
Armed forces are poorly paid for what they do they should be linked to the same pay scale as the police

tonkatojo
05-Sep-09, 11:34
Armed forces are poorly paid for what they do they should be linked to the same pay scale as the police

Are you quoting Nick Clegg the liberal bloke ?.
However I do agree, as the armed forces appear to be policing a lot of conflicts.

Cattach
05-Sep-09, 12:05

Don't see why you have to come into a serious thread and try to knock someone's honestly held ambition. Maybe your job, if you have one, is not to everyone's liking.

EDDIE
05-Sep-09, 12:06
Are you quoting Nick Clegg the liberal bloke ?.
However I do agree, as the armed forces appear to be policing a lot of conflicts.

No i just think the british forces are the people that protect the uk and there under paid for what they do

Cattach
05-Sep-09, 12:09
Oh thanks, we'll give them a shout and see.

Actually the army trains in over 140 jobs, so which one are you referring to?

If you are referring to my nationality how would you know that German is my only nationality and that I want to join the army.
As a matter of fact I couldn't join the army.
Totally unrelated to my nationality/ies but I am simply too old.

Well said Stefan. Why do people have to turn a good honest threat looking for information into a nonsense and an effort to put people down? Hope you get the answers you want and deserve.

Rheghead
05-Sep-09, 12:23

Just genuinely curious. I thought the armed forces were for British/Commonwealth nationals only.

For all those that thought I was having a 'go', just wind yer daft necks in please.:lol:

Kevin Milkins
05-Sep-09, 12:49
Just genuinely curious. I thought the armed forces were for British/Commonwealth nationals only.

For all those that thought I was having a 'go', just wind yer daft necks in please.:lol:

I was genuinlely curious as well, but Rheghead had the nouse to ask.

Stefan, if you have a youngster that has an interest in joining the armed forces, I know Colin Stewart at Pultneytown Peoples Project in Wick has helped with recruiting and training contacts. 01955 606950.

Good luck with what you are looking for.

chef4celebrations
05-Sep-09, 19:28
i am ex-army, and as for the worst job, it was and is the best decision i have made in my entire life, i am still in touch with comrades i served with over 20 years ago, and the training was and still is the best in the world.

good luck and i hope you get in and follow your ambition.

Tubthumper
06-Sep-09, 14:05
I think joining the army these days is a lot different to say 20 odd years ago .The armys are getting involved in a lot more conflict and different form of war were they cant really see the enemy because there disguised as citizens so there more vunerable to attack.
Er, what about Northern Ireland? 'Enemy' dressed as civilians, IEDs, roadside bombs, secondary explosions to catch those going to help, no clear idea of the 'mission', no exit strategy.
The only difference is that in NI the USA were supporting the other side. So were the Libyans.
Strange that innit?
Mind you being a soldier was the best job I ever had.

crustyroll
06-Sep-09, 19:49
I'll just add my tuppenceworth....

Sgt McWillliam is actually in Wick every Tues and Wed at the TA hall.

My son has just joined the army and is leaving next weekend to start his basic training. Everyone has asked me if I'm worried? Well, to be honest, I'm a parent and have worried about him from the day he was born. Anything could have happened to him while he was growing up, he could still walk out the door tomorrow and be hit by a car. At least he has an idea of what he wants to do which is more than can be said for some teenagers, let alone adults. He isn't involved in drugs, hasn't been in trouble and he's got something to look forward to. How many can say that this doesn't apply to all the young people in Caithness. What jobs are there for all the school leavers?

I'm proud that he is joining the army, it will be hard but he will learn a hell of a lot about life. I can't see any other establishment paying for all his transport, giving him a trade with the possibility of diversion if he wants, travelling to different countries and earning a wage at the same time.

Wars happen, we are our own worst enemy and there will always be good with the bad, as long as he is happy I have to let him live his own life.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Sep-09, 19:57
I'll just add my tuppenceworth....

Sgt McWillliam is actually in Wick every Tues and Wed at the TA hall.

My son has just joined the army and is leaving next weekend to start his basic training. Everyone has asked me if I'm worried? Well, to be honest, I'm a parent and have worried about him from the day he was born. Anything could have happened to him while he was growing up, he could still walk out the door tomorrow and be hit by a car. At least he has an idea of what he wants to do which is more than can be said for some teenagers, let alone adults. He isn't involved in drugs, hasn't been in trouble and he's got something to look forward to. How many can say that this doesn't apply to all the young people in Caithness. What jobs are there for all the school leavers?

I'm proud that he is joining the army, it will be hard but he will learn a hell of a lot about life. I can't see any other establishment paying for all his transport, giving him a trade with the possibility of diversion if he wants, travelling to different countries and earning a wage at the same time.

Wars happen, we are our own worst enemy and there will always be good with the bad, as long as he is happy I have to let him live his own life.

Good luck to your son and I am sure he will find ths possibly the toughest but most rewarding time of his life. I admire him for knowing what he wants and getting on with it. You are right in your thoughts there is no garauntees in life you just have to get on and live it to the best. :)

crustyroll
06-Sep-09, 20:09
Alice, thanks. We are proud of him and hopes he gives it his best shot as it will pay off in the long run.

chef4celebrations
06-Sep-09, 20:18
good luck to your son and i wish him all the best, if there is one piece of advice i would give him as an ex-soldier, that would be if a volunteer is required put up your hand, getting noticed adds merit and helps to climb the ladder of success in the military, any way good luck and god speed.

C4C

coreyjay
06-Sep-09, 20:25
Hi im ex army and it was the best thing i did (untill i had kids).Its a graet life for a single person everything is payed for so at end of every month your money is to do what you wont without the worry of bills/food etc.
Its a graet chance to save really.
All he needs to do is keep his chin up though training and after that the rest is pretty much easy. You make so many new friends and there for life. Good luck to him.

crustyroll
06-Sep-09, 20:35
Thanks for all your wishes, I've passed the comments onto my son and he's grateful that people are willing to help with advice. Unfortunately he's chocked with the cold so a warm bath and early night is needed I think as he's not going to get that kind of treatment after next Sunday :lol:

BRIE
07-Sep-09, 11:13
My son is also joining the army in January, Its not the career I hoped he would choose but hes thought long & hard about it & Its what he wants to do.I do worry for him like any mother would & more so with him being so young but I have to accept that this is his decision & I can see him going far.He will have alot more opportunities in the Army than he would in any other job.

lab
07-Sep-09, 19:48
Have just this second walked in the door after taking my 16yearold son to Harrogate Army foundation college to start his army career, In 42 weeks he will leave with the equivelent of 5 A levels his duke of edinburgh silver pos gold,and a bank account wich has had £875 rising to £1050 after his 6 weeks basic. clear payed into it every month. After his 42 weeks he then enters trade training for a further 32 weeks(he has inlisted with the royal engineers as a mechanical fitter) dont knock the army where else would a 16 yearold be aforded this opertunity especialy in caithness.

Stefan
09-Sep-09, 22:52
Does anybody know times for when the Srgt is at the TA Hall ?
Is it during the day or at night on Tuesdays and Wednesdays?

BRIE
10-Sep-09, 09:38
during the day, not to sure of the times we always go between 10am & 1pm.:D