PDA

View Full Version : first trip alone.

cuddlepop
04-Sep-09, 09:28
Do you remember the first time you went on public transport alone.I dont mean just going to the village or that but actually allowed to go visit someone or shop by yourself.?

We had moved from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay and I was missing my friends so much that my parents said that I could take the train myself and go and see them.
I think I was 12and a half,the journey required two trains and a fair walk but I wanted to go so off I went.

Had a brilliant time and dont remember being nervous.:D

My youngest whose 18, is away to Inverness today on the bus and that believe me is a great achievment as we thought she'd never do it alone.
Her uncle is meeting her after work and bringing her home so fingers crossed it goes well.

Anyway when did you get permission and where did you go?:)

Whitewater
04-Sep-09, 09:47
My first big trip alone took place when I was 15, My friend had moved to Chattam in Kent, I hitch hiked down and back, took two days going down and three coming back, spent a great week with my pal, we are still great friends after sixty something years.
On reflection it now appears to have been a pretty dangerous way to go but at that time it was no problem, I received great help and advice from all the people who gave me lifts and spent the nights in youth hostels.
I don't think I would recommend that method of travel to any youngsters now, there a far too many wierdos around, but when I went in the late 50s cars were not as prolific as they are now, and perhaps the vultures did not have the means of getting onto the roads.

Tugmistress
04-Sep-09, 10:36
Think i was about 12, went off to Bridlington on the train from Beverley. Had a fab day out and caught the last train back and then walked home from the station. Don't remember feeling nervous, probably just excited at a day at the beach lol

mumof2
04-Sep-09, 10:39
i was 13 ish and went from thurso to carlisle by train to visit a pal, i had to change trains twice and the journey was long and boring but it was worth it, we went to a concert had a fab time then blackpool to the pleasure beach.parents never mentioned being worried about me and i coped just fine despite being a quiet, nervous teen. :D

jings00
04-Sep-09, 10:47
when i was about five or six. i went to see my big brother at Inverurie, i got a BA flight down from Wick, I mind sitting playing with my plasticine and the stewardess lassie had another wee cheil sitting next to me.

cuddlepop
04-Sep-09, 12:31
when i was about five or six. i went to see my big brother at Inverurie, i got a BA flight down from Wick, I mind sitting playing with my plasticine and the stewardess lassie had another wee cheil sitting next to me.

That was mighty brave of you at that age to go it alone without mum@dad.:eek:
Had you flown before or was that a first too?

Must say I prefer the train to the bus it just so much more comfortable.:D

jings00
04-Sep-09, 13:58
apparently i had flown before, but that was just before i was born! so i don't mind much about it :-)
i can't remember being nervous, the flight staff and everyone musta done a good job. i remember being taken for a knickerbocker glory when i arrived too and i had to stand on the seat to eat it, it seemed so biiig. lol

oldmarine
05-Sep-09, 07:50
Do you remember the first time you went on public transport alone.I dont mean just going to the village or that but actually allowed to go visit someone or shop by yourself.?

We had moved from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay and I was missing my friends so much that my parents said that I could take the train myself and go and see them.
I think I was 12and a half,the journey required two trains and a fair walk but I wanted to go so off I went.

Had a brilliant time and dont remember being nervous.:D

My youngest whose 18, is away to Inverness today on the bus and that believe me is a great achievment as we thought she'd never do it alone.
Her uncle is meeting her after work and bringing her home so fingers crossed it goes well.

Anyway when did you get permission and where did you go?:)

My first trip alone was when I was 17 years and left home for the US Marines. It was WW2 September 4, 1942, overseas to the Pacific January 1943 until January 1946, and finally home February 7, 1946.
A lot had happened to me, but I believe I was a bit wiser than I had been when I had left home.