PDA

View Full Version : Take care on the roads

unicorn
03-Sep-09, 20:18
Just back from Wick and the road is attrocious, went by castletown and was awful, home by Watten and awful too. Feel so sorry for houses on the roads affected by water. Take care people.

Douglas Cowie
03-Sep-09, 20:27
Was just looking at the BBC weather map and we have this rain to at least lunch time tomorrow.
A council lorry loaded with sandbags has just past my house heading towards Staxigoe which is worrying. Might be time to build that ark!!

Alice in Blunderland
03-Sep-09, 20:39
I'm okay the kids have got the inflatable dinghy in the conservatory. :eek:

unicorn
03-Sep-09, 20:45
The council were building sandbags round the house just off the bridge as you leave Wick and the water was pouring into it. Heartbreaking for the owners.
Major water on the roads yet people still driving like lunatics through it.

Bradcon
03-Sep-09, 21:15
Havent had this much rain for as long as I can remember. The roads are swimming. Saw sandbags at a house in papigoe, Hope it settles soon.

lynne duncan
03-Sep-09, 22:27
saw the fire brigade at the b&B beside the academy park

rainbow
03-Sep-09, 22:43
The road at the bottom of Northcote Street is totally flooded - can't even see the pavement on the south side of the street. The road to our house is flooded, and ditches over flowing big time!! Journey home from Thurso tonight was positively awful, with water meeting in the middle of the road all over the place - I only skidded once, but aquaplanned several times I think. I can't remember the last time I saw it this bad. Take care everyone who has to drive tonight.

purplelady
03-Sep-09, 23:06
hopthis rain clears soon it is awful out there just now wonder how somerfeild carpark is doing xxxxxx

unicorn
03-Sep-09, 23:11
I felt so sorry for all the farmers who didn't manage to get their crops cut so much of it lying flattened as we drove by. The road was like a river in places hours ago I can only imagine what it is like now.

Anne x
03-Sep-09, 23:14
oh no its been lashing rain here all day , so not a nice journey north for me tmr was so loooking forward to the run up

unicorn
03-Sep-09, 23:15
Good luck with that............:eek:

Venture
03-Sep-09, 23:15
saw the fire brigade at the b&B beside the academy park

I hope that dosen't mean that the cemetery will be flooded again too. It was so upsetting for everyone the last time it happened. We are just outside Wick and parks alongside the river are completely flooded and its still coming down cats and dogs.

unicorn
03-Sep-09, 23:17
The volume of water it has made and sadly it makes it a big possibility the water is getting no chance to run off. I know we get a lot of rain but this is mad.
Stolen from Tuggs site

Rainfall (last hour)2.1 mmRainfall (since midnight)28.9 mm (1.14 in.) at 11:11 PMRainfall This month 32.5 mm (1.28 in.)Rainfall To date this year 129.9 mm (5.11 in.)Maximum rain per minute (last hour)0.5 mm/minMaximum rain per hour (last 6 hours)4.1 mm/hour

Venture
03-Sep-09, 23:42
oh no its been lashing rain here all day , so not a nice journey north for me tmr was so loooking forward to the run up

Could be a swim up rather than a run up Anne x. Better get your wet suit ready.:lol:;)

Venture
04-Sep-09, 08:08
Caithness dosen't seem to have been hit as bad as Moray. Hundreds of people have been evacuated from their homes due to massive flooding there. The areas most affected by flood water in Caithness are Wick to Latheron road, Spittal, Castletown and Lybster.

Invisible
04-Sep-09, 09:30
Caithness dosen't seem to have been hit as bad as Moray. Hundreds of people have been evacuated from their homes due to massive flooding there. The areas most affected by flood water in Caithness are Wick to Latheron road, Spittal, Castletown and Lybster.

yes the latheron to wick road was terrible in places, but still i was seeing cars trying to overtake and going at least 60

northener
04-Sep-09, 09:54
I went down to Glasgow and back yesterday. It was pretty heavy rain most of the way down and back...nothing unusual there.

Until I got to the Ord, that is, at about 21:00 yesterday.:eek:

Came around the hairpin and came down the long straight leading to the right hander before Badbea...no probs, quiet road and the same amount of rain as I'd had most of the way up.

A couple of seconds later I couldn't see a bloody thing and the car is doing its best jet-ski impression whilst trying to leap in the offside ditch. Argh! Bloody Hell Fire! it was like someone throwing a huge switch with the word 'DELUGE' written on it.

Dead slow all the way back home from there on. Not good out there.

Tugmistress
04-Sep-09, 10:25
Doesn't seem so bad out there now, well, what is falling from the sky anyway. I've just been text several pictures of the river wick and looks 'rather interesting' in places!
I don't think we'll get another day like yesterday this weekend but it certainly wont be dry and sunny all weekend either!
OH is on his way to Aberdeen in the lorry, he left wick about half an hour ago and said the road is fine ( he was as far south as Dunbeath) and even dry in places though the little burns are thumping still.