PDA

View Full Version : Can't open data files

Liz
03-Sep-09, 15:19
When I click on attachments with some emails I get a message to say that windows cannot open this file and worried can someone help with this please?

Connor.
03-Sep-09, 17:12
It might be that you don't have the program that support these files, assuming that they might be a certain type of file. Is it a spreadsheet, powerpoint presentation or something to that effect?

Liz
03-Sep-09, 18:35
It might be that you don't have the program that support these files, assuming that they might be a certain type of file. Is it a spreadsheet, powerpoint presentation or something to that effect?

The one I am trying to open at the moment is an mp3 audio recording.:D

Connor.
03-Sep-09, 19:02
Are you using firefox or internet explorer?

Or is it outlook express :o

Liz
03-Sep-09, 19:11
I have tried opening the file both through my BT Yahoo account and Incredimail but it won't work.

M R
03-Sep-09, 23:27
Save the attachment to the hard disk, scan it ! then open it, it should ask you to select the program to open with, choose windows media player from the list.......or open windows media player and choose to open the fille.

See how you get on.

dx100uk
04-Sep-09, 01:42
i would be extremely careful about doing this unless you KNOW the sender and it is a PM not from another source.

many many people do not adjust the setting in windows explorer, advanced tab, that says 'show file extensions'
this leaves user vunerable to virus attack.

if a file is labelled musictrack.jpg.exe [.jpg.exe is how trojans travel] without the above set to ON, you do not see the extention, you think its an audio track or a video but it is not, its a trojan.

anyhow

if you KNOW aand TRUST the sender, i would recommend eithr using media player as advised, or download and install winamp.

dx

Liz
04-Sep-09, 17:56
Save the attachment to the hard disk, scan it ! then open it, it should ask you to select the program to open with, choose windows media player from the list.......or open windows media player and choose to open the fille.

See how you get on.

Thanks but it won't play through windows media player either.:confused

i would be extremely careful about doing this unless you KNOW the sender and it is a PM not from another source.

many many people do not adjust the setting in windows explorer, advanced tab, that says 'show file extensions'
this leaves user vunerable to virus attack.

if a file is labelled musictrack.jpg.exe [.jpg.exe is how trojans travel] without the above set to ON, you do not see the extention, you think its an audio track or a video but it is not, its a trojan.

anyhow

if you KNOW aand TRUST the sender, i would recommend eithr using media player as advised, or download and install winamp.

dx

I will only open files if I know the person who has sent them to me. I installed winamp but can't get it to open through this either.

dx100uk
05-Sep-09, 23:38
then IMHO the file is corrupt.

any chance you could PM it to me to and i'll look at it for you?

dx

Liz
05-Sep-09, 23:44
That is really kind of you dx but the person who sent the email is going to send the recording to me via CD.:D

dx100uk
05-Sep-09, 23:48
ok
no prob
sri not been around but the trip from wick to epping took a wee bit of time............urm lots and lots of water till we hit inver!.

as an int thought, what .ext does the file show as?

dx

Liz
07-Sep-09, 19:23
Oops sorry I missed your reply.

Glad your journey went ok considering all the flooding although longer than you had hoped.When are you moving to Wick?

The only info I have on the file is that it is ATT193.dat:confused

dx100uk
07-Sep-09, 20:43
right well .dat files are not music!

no player will open it!

your friend need to send it as a music files.

the following will explain what i mean.

as i said in the first place i would be VERY sure of any files you open.

.DAT is one of the most commonist trojan file formats.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-open-dat-files/

dx

dx100uk
07-Sep-09, 20:44
.When are you moving to Wick?

mrs is alrady up there running the business i follow at hol times till i retire soon.

dx

Liz
07-Sep-09, 20:48
No it's not music but a recording of someone speaking.

Don't worry I am always very careful about opening any attachment and won't do this unless I am certain of where it has come from.

Glad it won't be too long before you are reunited with your better half.:D