PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED......the case of the missing sock.

Kenn
03-Sep-09, 11:00
This problem has been pondered long by various members,conspiracy theories have been put forward, black holes have been mentioned,there are those who subscribe to the idea that some where in the universe is a planet populated by single socks only,dogs have been questioned,washing machines grilled
in vain,cupboards,behind drawers and under units have been searched, all to no avail.

We now have the answer IT'S the washing powder.

Don't buy Daz because their latest advertisement states categorically, "Daz will knock your socks off."

badger
03-Sep-09, 11:06
Thank you Lizz - how nice to have that mysterious problem solved at last :) .

Gizmo
03-Sep-09, 11:09
This problem has been pondered long by various members,conspiracy theories have been put forward, black holes have been mentioned,there are those who subscribe to the idea that some where in the universe is a planet populated by single socks only,dogs have been questioned,washing machines grilled
in vain,cupboards,behind drawers and under units have been searched, all to no avail.

Don't buy Daz because their latest advertisement states categorically, "Daz will knock your socks off."

Marvelous, now could you please solve the mystery of what happens to all my guitar picks :D

Kenn
03-Sep-09, 12:14
Will have to investigate the matter Gizmo, now I will need to know are they bio-degradable plastic, hard plastic,natural materials,what colour,are they all of a size,do you have any house pets or mice and finally just how many decibels do you emit when strumming?

Gizmo
03-Sep-09, 12:28
Will have to investigate the matter Gizmo, now I will need to know are they

bio-degradable plastic No

hard plastic Some are

natural materials No

what colour Many different colours

are they all of a size Mosty the same size, but different shapes

do you have any house pets or mice...ah..yes, 4 cats and 3 wabbits

and finally just how many decibels do you emit when strumming? LOTS!!!! :D

The cats are the most likely culprits, they steal Mrs Gizmos hair bobble thingme-bobs all the time, and one of them..Dexter, is smart enough to know how to open the fridge and steal all our food, i kid you not, he figured out how to open the fridge, and kitchen cupboards, we have a child lock on the cupboard where their food is kept to stop him taking it all :lol:

Lingland
03-Sep-09, 12:48
Congratulations well done. I have blamed many weird and wonderful things but never thought of washing powder. It is do obvious now.

Kevin Milkins
03-Sep-09, 13:08
Marvelous, now could you please solve the mystery of what happens to all my guitar picks :D

I have a mate that is (in the know;)) on such matter's, I will give him a ring and see if he can pull a few strings for you.:lol:

Gizmo
03-Sep-09, 13:18
I have a mate that is (in the know;)) on such matter's, I will give him a ring and see if he can pull a few strings for you.:lol:

Keep me in tune with what you find out ;)

Scunner
03-Sep-09, 13:34
Thats all very well, but what happens to my gardening gloves. They disappear for days and sometimes weeks on end and then I find them. Also the dippler, either have none or then have six all in the same place.

Solve that for me someone

ŠAmethyst
03-Sep-09, 13:48

We have that same problem in our house! Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Although we also have a cat... but he's not as intelligent as Dexter.

joxville
03-Sep-09, 14:56
I've never washed my hair in Daz so how has that disappeared? :eek:

Metalattakk
03-Sep-09, 15:06

Maybe you're just being too careless? I've been using the same pleccy since 1991. :eek:

(Hehe, I've lost more guitars than picks over the years!)

Kenn
03-Sep-09, 15:12
Puts security lock on fish tank, nobody's having my plecky for strumming their guitar!

Gizmo
03-Sep-09, 15:15
Maybe you're just being too careless? I've been using the same pleccy since 1991. :eek:

(Hehe, I've lost more guitars than picks over the years!)

Yeah, but you only know 'Smoke On The Water'...that won't cause much wear, not like 'Master Of Puppets' (with only downstrokes) does ;)

Mrs Bucket
03-Sep-09, 15:49
Thats all very well, but what happens to my gardening gloves. They disappear for days and sometimes weeks on end and then I find them. Also the dippler, either have none or then have six all in the same place.

Solve that for me someone
Thats easy its the gnomes they also have the socks for hats I thought everyone knew that

Mrs Bucket
03-Sep-09, 15:51
On second thoughts they probably have the other thingies as well

Metalattakk
03-Sep-09, 16:27
Yeah, but you only know 'Smoke On The Water'...that won't cause much wear, not like 'Master Of Puppets' (with only downstrokes) does

Pah, you got a lot to learn, kiddo. Everyone knows that 'Smoke on the Water' isn't played with a plectrum... It's strictly finger-picked. :)

MoP using only downstrokes? Didn't know there was any other way to be honest. ;)

'Whiplash' now, there's a wrist-breaker. Play that with only downstrokes and you won't be able to even hold a plectrum at the end of it. ;)

Gizmo
03-Sep-09, 17:14
Pah, you got a lot to learn, kiddo. Everyone knows that 'Smoke on the Water' isn't played with a plectrum... It's strictly finger-picked. :)

I have a strict 'No Smoke On The Water' rule in my house, so i forgot that little nugget of wisdom

MoP using only downstrokes? Didn't know there was any other way to be honest. ;)

Oh you'd be surprised at how many alternate picking cheats there are out there :D

'Whiplash' now, there's a wrist-breaker. Play that with only downstrokes and you won't be able to even hold a plectrum at the end of it.

Eh...Whiplash isn't played with downstrokes, i double dare you to prove you can play it, and make it sound good, with downstrokes.

Bazeye
03-Sep-09, 21:39
I can honestly say Ive never lost a sock in the washing machine. i have however found a few odd ones in my time.

Metalattakk
03-Sep-09, 22:10
Eh...Whiplash isn't played with downstrokes, i double dare you to prove you can play it, and make it sound good, with downstrokes.

That's the point. If it could be possible, it would cause severe detriment to the carpus.

Jebus, even playing it normally is tough on the pick hand. And I should know. ;)

(Ever get the feeling that we've begun to traverse a different .org path than that intended? :D)

Gizmo
03-Sep-09, 22:23
(Ever get the feeling that we've begun to traverse a different .org path than that intended? :D)

Indeed, but i believe that sooner or later everything in life leads to Metallica, so we're still on the right path :p

Bazeye
03-Sep-09, 22:31
I once found a glove as well.

Metalattakk
03-Sep-09, 23:10
Indeed, but i believe that sooner or later everything in life leads to Metallica, so we're still on the right path :p

Yet everything in life will ultimately fade to black.

*goes off to learn the intro solo properly*

Gizmo
03-Sep-09, 23:46
Yet everything in life will ultimately fade to black.

*goes off to learn the intro solo properly*

Aye, that Creeping Death catches up with us all eventually, sad but true ;)

Metalattakk
03-Sep-09, 23:54
Aye, that Creeping Death catches up with us all eventually, sad but true ;)

To the eye of the beholder, nothing else matters.

*wonders how long this can go on*

Gizmo
04-Sep-09, 00:06
To the eye of the beholder, nothing else matters.

*wonders how long this can go on*

But for whom the bell tolls, the struggle within deals the shortest straw on dyers eve

*thinks this could go on a while* :lol:

Metalattakk
04-Sep-09, 03:21
But for whom the bell tolls, the struggle within deals the shortest straw on dyers eve

*thinks this could go on a while* :lol:

I dunno, maybe things are drawing to an end. Time for a Reload, perhaps?

Whitewater
04-Sep-09, 10:34

Great post Liz, made me laugh, I've now banned Mrs Whitewater from using Daz, we seem to have somebody with one leg living in this house.

Kenn
04-Sep-09, 11:12
Having been challenged by gizmo to solve the mystery of his disappearing picks, despite the weather,I put on my deerstalker cap, draped a water proof cape round my shoulders, clamped a pipe between my teeth and grabbing a cane, set forth in the best traditions of Sherlock Holmes to investigate the matter.
I checked in dark places where others might fear to go, loitered behind trees and lamp posts,prodded the ground with the cane but all to no avail not a trace of the wee plastic bits.
Baffled, but with other theories in mind I proceeded to the library only to discover that there was no tiddly wink club in the area and that the phone boxes no longer accepted coinage of any sort so that was two recycling possibilities blown to dust.
Not to be beaten, I continued my perambulations and was struck by a strange phenomena.A shaft of sunlight had briefly pierced the clouds and glinted off the head of a bowed passer by. With my attention now caught, I surrepticiously observed others passing along the various routes and byways and it became apparent that this was not unique.
Taking courage in both hands, I approached one of the persons who had strange coloured bits in their ears.Without wishing to frighten or institute some sort of confrontation,I gently tapped said person on the shoulder.
"Excuse me sir, not wishing to intrude, but could you please offer some explanation as to the why you are wearing those brightly coloured objects ?"
The attention of my observances spun round and I took a hasty step back grasping my cane with an ever firmer clutch, ready to defend myself should their be a hostile reaction.
Seeing that I did not look beligerant, the person in question said, "Sorry Sir, I could n't 'ear you on account of these plugs that we are forced to wear."
"My good man, is there a reason for this strange custom?"
"Oh aye, " came the response, "We were so desperate to stop our ears being assaulted that we devised a scheme where by we could protect ourselves."
"Could you kindly offer further explanation,"I enquired.
"Well you see sir, it's like this, there are certain folk who insist on playing music, often much amplified and to prevent ourselves being deafened by the noise and the discord of unharmonious chords a group of us got together.We trained a group of mice so that they would collect the little bits of plastic,which we then melted and moulded into into these objects that you now see us sporting in our ears."

So now you have it gizmo,don't blame the felines,turn the sound down and make sure you pluck each cord with true resonance.

Gizmo
04-Sep-09, 12:00
Having been challenged by gizmo to solve the mystery of his disappearing picks, despite the weather,I put on my deerstalker cap, draped a water proof cape round my shoulders, clamped a pipe between my teeth and grabbing a cane, set forth in the best traditions of Sherlock Holmes to investigate the matter.
I checked in dark places where others might fear to go, loitered behind trees and lamp posts,prodded the ground with the cane but all to no avail not a trace of the wee plastic bits.
Baffled, but with other theories in mind I proceeded to the library only to discover that there was no tiddly wink club in the area and that the phone boxes no longer accepted coinage of any sort so that was two recycling possibilities blown to dust.
Not to be beaten, I continued my perambulations and was struck by a strange phenomena.A shaft of sunlight had briefly pierced the clouds and glinted off the head of a bowed passer by. With my attention now caught, I surrepticiously observed others passing along the various routes and byways and it became apparent that this was not unique.
Taking courage in both hands, I approached one of the persons who had strange coloured bits in their ears.Without wishing to frighten or institute some sort of confrontation,I gently tapped said person on the shoulder.
"Excuse me sir, not wishing to intrude, but could you please offer some explanation as to the why you are wearing those brightly coloured objects ?"
The attention of my observances spun round and I took a hasty step back grasping my cane with an ever firmer clutch, ready to defend myself should their be a hostile reaction.
Seeing that I did not look beligerant, the person in question said, "Sorry Sir, I could n't 'ear you on account of these plugs that we are forced to wear."
"My good man, is there a reason for this strange custom?"
"Oh aye, " came the response, "We were so desperate to stop our ears being assaulted that we devised a scheme where by we could protect ourselves."
"Could you kindly offer further explanation,"I enquired.
"Well you see sir, it's like this, there are certain folk who insist on playing music, often much amplified and to prevent ourselves being deafened by the noise and the discord of unharmonious chords a group of us got together.We trained a group of mice so that they would collect the little bits of plastic,which we then melted and moulded into into these objects that you now see us sporting in our ears."

So now you have it gizmo,don't blame the felines,turn the sound down and make sure you pluck each cord with true resonance.

Ahh...but you're solution is flawed, for i have 4 cats, and one of them, the previously mentioned 'Dexter', is a full time beastie hunter, he's superfly..and superfast, so any mice, even highly trained ninja mice, wouldn't make it over the door, let alone get close enough to my Plectrum bowl, without being splated by the paw of doom, so i'm afraid it's back to the drawing board :p

He lies in wait :D
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3457/dsc00694w.jpg

Kenn
04-Sep-09, 12:09
Ah but I forgot to mention, the mice are covered in stealth paint.
By the way, why did you put the cat in the stocks,was the crime that bad?

Gizmo
04-Sep-09, 12:27
Ah but I forgot to mention, the mice are covered in stealth paint.
By the way, why did you put the cat in the stocks,was the crime that bad?

Oh it would have been just for his usual midnight antics, or even his day time antics, there are many of them to choose from on a daily basis :D

Green_not_greed
04-Sep-09, 13:07
Back to missing socks, thought I'd share a story from Scout camp many years ago

One guy in our tent snored very loudly every night. This didn't go down too well. He also slept in his socks (which stank!) as he said his feet were cold if he took them off.

On our last night, during deep snoring session, we unzipped his sleeping bag, took one of his socks off, and put it on over his other sock. Zipped the sleeping bag back up and said nothing.

Next morning there was panic in the camp as he looked for his missing sock. For hours. I don't know how many times he emptied his rucksack and repacked it. Eventually, off we went home. I would have liked to be a fly-on-the-wall that night when he took off his sock to find another one underneath!

Kenn
04-Sep-09, 22:53
Great story, thanks for sharing.

katarina
05-Sep-09, 14:29
I think it's a clever ploy by the manufacturers. Socks are only designed to last a certain time, then one of them disolves in the wash, that way you have to go out and buy a new pair. Solve the problem by washing them in a net bag, or do what I do, always buy plain socks in the same make, size and colour, then you'll always have ones that match.

badger
05-Sep-09, 17:10
I lost a pillowcase in the wash once - went missing for months then turned up in a suitcase I was emptying to go away. Didn't even bother trying to work that one out.

ShelleyCowie
05-Sep-09, 22:37
But i dont use Daz, i have 4 odd socks of athruns waiting to find the matching wanderers! Doesnt matter how much i look they have gone forever! Brand new socks too! Grr!

bluechesse
06-Sep-09, 00:24
But i dont use Daz, i have 4 odd socks of athruns waiting to find the matching wanderers! Doesnt matter how much i look they have gone forever! Brand new socks too! Grr!
Ah. You clearly have a sock monster then. I've had one resident under my bed for years now. Im afraid there is little you can do to catch the little , I've tried everything. My advice is to visit Matalan next time your in Inverness, socks are cheap there. Stock up.;)

ŠAmethyst
06-Sep-09, 19:22
I lost a pillowcase in the wash once - went missing for months then turned up in a suitcase I was emptying to go away. Didn't even bother trying to work that one out.

Try losing a duvet cover and 3 pillow cases.

I'll let you know where they turn up... if they turn up *walks away muttering to herself*

ShelleyCowie
07-Sep-09, 10:54
Ah. You clearly have a sock monster then. I've had one resident under my bed for years now. Im afraid there is little you can do to catch the little , I've tried everything. My advice is to visit Matalan next time your in Inverness, socks are cheap there. Stock up.;)

Its only the wee ones socks that seem to have gone missing though! Never before had i lost a sock, and no other socks have i lost! Maybe its because they are so teeny tiny for his wee feet!

Also it seems to be his superhero socks that we have lost, like batman and spiderman ones! Maybe they are off fighting crime????

dietcokegirl
07-Sep-09, 11:04
I recently found 7 socks, a few pairs of pants, a bra and a few of my sons vests at the bottom of the garden.

I'm blaming the dog...well at least i hope it was the dog - i've never actually caught her in the act yet :D