PDA

View Full Version : Asda

Fran
01-Apr-06, 00:16
Good to see Asda's application in todays paper for planning permission to build their store in thurso. hope it gets the go-ahead. Maybe we should all sign a letter asking for the store and give it to the planning committee.

ice box
01-Apr-06, 01:06
More to the point were tesco ?

concerned resident
01-Apr-06, 11:46
I think it would be a good idea to send a letter to the planning department stating you would like the planning to be given the go ahead, that is what I am going to do. There will be objectors, and I do not trust our Councillors to do what the bulk of the general public want.

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 18:06
More to the point were tesco ?

thought it was being built by december lol :confused

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 19:59
Where do you stand Bill?? Being a mouthpiece for the community, what are your views?
Is this a step too far (because of Tescos in Wick) or is this a well deserved and welcomed supermarket for the people of Thurso and beyond. Let us not get on the fence here as I will be speaking to my counceller Mr T. Jackson. Not to ask him his views but to TELL him mine. Thats what we should all do folks. Let yourself be heard. Wick or Thurso, YOU are paying their wages

clash67
01-Apr-06, 20:07
Where do you stand Bill?? Being a mouthpiece for the community, what are your views?
Is this a step too far (because of Tescos in Wick) or is this a well deserved and welcomed supermarket for the people of Thurso and beyond. Let us not get on the fence here as I will be speaking to my counceller Mr T. Jackson. Not to ask him his views but to TELL him mine. Thats what we should all do folks. Let yourself be heard. Wick or Thurso, YOU are paying their wages
Well said, I strongly agree. after a few very bad experiences with councillors I have soon come to realise that they forget who pays their wages and should be put in their place ever so often just to remind them..

Bobinovich
01-Apr-06, 20:09
I read in one Asda thread that they have a National pricing policy with regards to fuel but I wanted it from the horses mouth.

I contacted them through their website and they have stated that they do not have a National policy but will, like Tesco, only price their fuel just below the local sellers.

So while we can maybe expect a few pence lower than what we have got, don't expect any major reductions.

Sorry to put a dampener on your Saturday evening!!!:~(

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 20:32
A few pence , even one soon adds up to a fair tidy sum at the end of the financial year. They could put the interest on that 1p into my account and I would be a happy easter bunny

Niafo_1999
02-Apr-06, 16:08
This was in Elgin 3 weeks ago

1 pckt of go ahead biscuits - 62p
same packet of biscuits in town- £1.30

1 loaf of wholemeal bread - 42p
same bread in another store in town - 98p

1l Carton of fresh adas oj - 39p
same own label juice in town - 59p

Asdas do keep their food prices the same nationally there petrol will be cheaper than thurso by probably 3p at the most considering we are up to 99.9p again

Plus the variety of stuff & george will be a good thing. Especially for new mums and dads if they bring the clothes range with them of course.
I say bring them both up and at last caithness will be getting value for money in supermarkets about time some healthy competition was brought up here.

Loafer
03-Apr-06, 17:29
I was in an Asda store last week and I couldn't believe what we are missing up here. Jeans-£3, shorts-£3, six pairs of socks-£5.

The CHOICE was unbelievable in all the food and drink sections.

And if anyone has read any of my previous comments about the way you are treated in the local shops, the staff in Asda were TOP OF THE BILL, they couldn't do enough for you. Apparently that's all part of the training.

In short, I am PRAYING we get a store up here. The petrol thing will be forgotten when you see what prices we will get for ALL goods.

Somerfield and the Co-op will have to think again or they may as well lock their doors.

The Loafer

outsider
03-Apr-06, 17:44
Yeah I love shopping at ASDA...the prices are amazing and the quality is good aswell.:Razz

mama2
03-Apr-06, 19:19
I have shopped in Asda a few times and I have always found their shelves fully stacked with plenty of choice and at very a reasonable price. As a mum of 2 young children I will welcome the store especially for the clothes, they are very cheap and excellent quality. But should all else fail and Asda do not get planning permission I have my fingers crossed that Wick get Tesco, even though I live on the Thurso side I would travel no questions asked. I think the local councillors must realise that the majority of caithness want these stores.

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Apr-06, 00:54
Not that it will matter to Wick, but the presence of Asda in Thurso will kill off the independent shops within the town centre, thus, like any other city in Britain, will ensure Thurso becomes another piece of tastless bland. Time will tell whether I'm right or wrong, but, given the high standard of living in Thurso, people can still live comfortably without one.

As for the councillors making decisions on the local peoples' behalf - how many of them are actually from Caithness? I would like to see the answer to that one.

Fran
04-Apr-06, 01:32
One of our local councillors, graham smith, is head of the planning committee!!

flowertot
04-Apr-06, 20:30
Unfortunately it is only outline planning permission that ASDA has put in for I believe.

Even if that gets the go ahead, they would still need to submit a full planning application.