PDA

View Full Version : 3rd September 1939

Venture
02-Sep-09, 09:28
I was never very good with dates or history at school but for some reason I always remembered 3rd Septemeber 1939 when Britain and France declared war on Germany.

Tomorrow sees the 70th anniversary of the Second World War and it will for some bring back many memories. Black-outs, rationing and evacuation, loss of loved ones etc. are things that I thankfully never had to experience, having been born in the 50's, but for some it was a terrible time even here in Caithness. My father's family lived in Bank Row which experienced the first recorded daylight bombing in the UK in 1940. I was always fascinated by the stories of that time that my aunt and grandparents relayed to me. I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like to live then and I am eternally grateful to all those who gave their lives to bring peace to this country.

Too often we are caught up in our own lives and dates are something we always think of when it's time for direct debits at the end of the month or birthdays or anniversaries. So tomorrow when you wake up just stop a second to think about what it must have been like for everyone 70 years ago, waking up and not knowing what the future might hold. I pray that I, in my life time, never have to experience that.

There are many on here who have memories of that time so let's hear from you.;)

golach
02-Sep-09, 10:22
Venture, I fully support your thread, about the 3rd Sept 1939, and the day WW2 was declared in Europe.
The 3rd Sept 2009 is Merchant Navy Day, a memorial for all those who died while serving under the "Red Duster" during the World Wars is to be held in London on the 6th Sept 2009.

Lavenderblue2
03-Sep-09, 18:49
I don't have any personal memories of WW2 because I wasn't born until two years afterwards.

However, my memories come from my paternal grandfather who was at Dunkirk, my father who served in the Far East, seeing action in Burma, an uncle who was in the AVRE and was involved in the horrendous Ijzendijke Explosion and another two uncles, one who who served in North Africa and the other was in the RAF - like all serving personnel they were very brave men.

Of course there is good and bad in all situations, if it hadn't been for the war I wouldn't be here!! On returning from the Far East my dad was posted to Camp 165 Watten where he met my dear mum - the rest is history.

I'm really looking forward to the TV programmes tonight and hearing about other folks memories.

Rheghead
03-Sep-09, 22:09
My father told me that the first black person that he saw was walking down his backstreet during 1939. He was as different as a German in those days and he got accused of being one and they all (kids) chucked stones at him. I just find the naiveity of those days so amusing.

maverick
03-Sep-09, 22:15
apparently a chap called the brahn seer made a prediction that went something like; if you can walk dry shod seven times over the river ness then a great disaster will befall the world; and it just so happens that the seventh bridge was built over the river ness and the next day hitler marched on poland and the rest is history as they say..

Cattach
04-Sep-09, 13:35
apparently a chap called the brahn seer made a prediction that went something like; if you can walk dry shod seven times over the river ness then a great disaster will befall the world; and it just so happens that the seventh bridge was built over the river ness and the next day hitler marched on poland and the rest is history as they say..

I had heard about dozen versions of that quote, all different and now I have heard the 13th. I have the book giving his life story and predictions and I am afraid that quote is far from accurate.