PDA

View Full Version : Its just a con!

highlander
01-Sep-09, 14:18
Why do we spend loads of money on different cleaning products, this will clean the shower, that will take up the tiles, this works better on the cooker etc..etc.......
So here i was with my dilemma, needed to get that sticky gum off the bottom of the iron, did not have that expensive stuff in a paste that you can use, ok so i tried flash ultimate, great stuff but bit smelly, nope did not work, so then thought, hey what about the old fashioned way, vinegar and bicarbonate soda, yesssss worked a treat, put the iron on a low heat and ran over a tumble dryer cloth to get rid of the smell. Can you think of other things that your granny used to use and find it works better?

Gizmo
01-Sep-09, 14:31
Don't bother with expensive antiseptic creams for painfull Jellyfish stings, joost get yer mate til pish on hid ;)

Leanne
01-Sep-09, 14:42
Don't bother with expensive antiseptic creams for painfull Jellyfish stings, joost get yer mate til pish on hid ;)

Works for chillblains too ;)

Shaving foam works wonders on black marks on cream carpets.

Edit - I thought it was vinegar for jellyfish stings...

joxville
01-Sep-09, 14:50
Loads of uses for vinegar here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A16991508

The internet is just about the only thing vinegar can't clean up. ;)

northener
01-Sep-09, 15:27

1: What were you doing balancing a jellyfish on your head?:confused

2: Whose idea was it to pish on your head? Is this something you just like doing?

3: Should you still get someone to pish on your head even if you've been stung on, say, your leg?

You worry me sometimes, Gizmo......

highlander
01-Sep-09, 15:29

2: Whose idea was it to pish on your head? Is this something you just like doing?

3: Should you still get someone to pish on your head even if you've been stung on, say, your leg?

LOL, good one

Gizmo
01-Sep-09, 16:17

I also worry sheep ;)

Gizmo
01-Sep-09, 16:20

'Hid' min...'Hid'....not 'Heed'...'Pish on Hid', no chiel's gonna be pishin on ma heed

shazzap
01-Sep-09, 17:02

Made me smile today after having a few very stressful days.

Thank you Northerner.:)

ŠAmethyst
01-Sep-09, 18:01
Can you think of other things that your granny used to use and find it works better?

Mine doesn't do housework -.- so have to get my hints and tips off the interweb lol

katarina
01-Sep-09, 18:07
You can clean knives by sticking them in the ground. Ash is as good as vim and you can clean your teeth with it too. Don't bother to buy bleach, just spread your whites out on the ground. Lemon and vinegar boiled in a pan will remove burnt on food. Wash your hair with vinegar in the final rinse and it will shine for days. Use oatmeal and eggwhite as a face pack. And didn't the herring gutters used to pee on their poor cut hands?

joxville
01-Sep-09, 18:34
Wash your hair with vinegar in the final rinse and it will shine for days.

Will this work for us baldies? [lol]

highlander
01-Sep-09, 18:47
I use neat vinegar in the kettle, boil it up gawd that stuff can really clean things, also told use any flat coke left over in the bottle put into the toilet bowl, much better than bleach.

Lavenderblue2
01-Sep-09, 18:56
A wee dab of vinegar on a bit of kitchen roll will bring up the outside of the kettle a treat - gets rid of all those water splashes and the white build up.

I quite believe the herring lassies would have pee'd on their poor cut hands - I once complained of chilblains and my nan told me to put my feet in the po!! Funnily enough, I didn't feel them again....

golach
01-Sep-09, 19:05
Will this work for us baldies? [lol]

Try Mr Sheen, Jox [lol]

Rheghead
01-Sep-09, 19:25
There is nothing better than washing-up liquid for washing your hair.:)

Soap is soap afterall.

oldchemist
01-Sep-09, 19:45
I think I read somewhere that John Lewis have published a book with domestic tips from ee owld days.

Kenn
01-Sep-09, 19:51
Needed to clean the burners and the grills on the top of the cooker, filled a large bowl with very hot water and a couple of tablespoons of soda crystals, put the burners and grills into the bowl and left them to soak for 15 mins.
The grease just peeled off, no smell and cost less than half of a proprietry cleaner.

golach
01-Sep-09, 19:55
This is a good site for those remedies

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/

northener
02-Sep-09, 10:03
Here's some good tips:

Save a fortune on laundry bills. Give your dirty shirts to Oxfam. They
will wash and iron them and you can buy them back for fifty pence.

A length of plastic drainpipe with a roller skate at each end makes an
ideal "car" for snakes.

And my final pearl of wisdom:

Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and
grazes with thin strips of bacon.

George Brims
03-Sep-09, 00:12
Don't bother to buy bleach, just spread your whites out on the ground.
Then how do you get the slug and snail slime off them?

George Brims
03-Sep-09, 00:16
That's supposed to work for sea urchin spines as well, though vinegar is stronger. When my son stepped on one a few years ago surfing in Hawaii, I went to the supermarket and bought a gallon of pickling vinegar. The lady at the checkout smiled and said "I don't suppose you're pickling at 9 in the morning. Who got stuck?"

sassylass
03-Sep-09, 01:34
OMG highlander you're reading my mind again! This past weekend I came across an old jar of 'grandpa's salve' in the cupboard and it got me thinking about old time remedies. My mother used to make her grandfather's recipe - a mix of beeswax, lamb tallow and resin - for drawing out infection. I can't quite bring myself to throw it out even though I'd never have the guts to use it after so many years. My mother also was a big advocate of using vinegar for sunburns and for household cleaning, and eating kelp for mineral content, and using oatmeal paste for our complexions, and rinsing our hair with lemon juice or rainwater, gargling with saltwater for sore throats, etc. She was also big on using herbs for lots of things. My dad thought it was a bunch of hooey, but those old remedies did work.