PDA

View Full Version : Dog Roses

highlander
01-Sep-09, 12:18
Has anyone grown these from seed, i have loads of rosehips and was planning to propagate them, what is the best way to do it?

Kevin Milkins
01-Sep-09, 12:38
Has anyone grown these from seed, i have loads of rosehips and was planning to propagate them, what is the best way to do it?

Plant them in some fertile compost in a warm green house and keep moist and they are sure to fail, however if you throw the hips in the air as far as you can throw them onto a patch of ground you don't want them to grow on, and they will do extremly well.:confused

singysmum
04-Sep-09, 21:24
Highlander

I bought some bare rooted plants from Castletown nursery winter before last and there were a couple of hips still on them. I just took them off the bush, split them and stuck the seeds in a few pots and left them outside on my potting table for the winter and finished up with half a dozen more plants. I also bought some seed of yellow ones off ebay last winter and out of 10 seeds have got one tiny plant. It is thriving and also spent all the winter outside in a pot. Best of luck with yours. Don't forget that you can also propogate them by cuttings - they do very well that way.

highlander
04-Sep-09, 23:29
Highlander

I bought some bare rooted plants from Castletown nursery winter before last and there were a couple of hips still on them. I just took them off the bush, split them and stuck the seeds in a few pots and left them outside on my potting table for the winter and finished up with half a dozen more plants. I also bought some seed of yellow ones off ebay last winter and out of 10 seeds have got one tiny plant. It is thriving and also spent all the winter outside in a pot. Best of luck with yours. Don't forget that you can also propogate them by cuttings - they do very well that way.

thank you will try that

highlander
04-Sep-09, 23:29
Plant them in some fertile compost in a warm green house and keep moist and they are sure to fail, however if you throw the hips in the air as far as you can throw them onto a patch of ground you don't want them to grow on, and they will do extremly well.:confused

LOL kevin, willing to try that method too