PDA

View Full Version : Ward Forum - please don't yawn ....

badger
01-Sep-09, 10:47
Why do so few people attend Ward Forums? There are endless complaints about the Council on here and Ward Forums are the place where you can confront Community and Highland Councillors to tell them what you think, so why don't you? They are usually interesting and would be far more so if more folks came along. Incidentally I'm not a councillor of any kind but feel very strongly these meetings should be supported - use 'em or lose 'em. You even get free tea/coffee.

The Joint Ward Forum (that's Landward, Thurso and Wick all together for I think the first time) next Monday is to discuss the future of Highland which affects all of us - see
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2009/August/2009-08-21-00.htm

They've really splashed out on this one - it's in Mackays Hotel :)

Alice in Blunderland
01-Sep-09, 10:54
Why do so few people attend Ward Forums? There are endless complaints about the Council on here

You will find that anonymity gives strength to the complainer and a sense of bravado.

As for the splashing out I can just hear the moans of wasting taxpayers money echoing in my ears as I type. :lol:

Rheghead
01-Sep-09, 11:51
The Joint Ward Forum (that's Landward, Thurso and Wick all together for I think the first time) next Monday is to discuss the future of Highland which affects all of us - see
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2009/August/2009-08-21-00.htm

No doubt you'll be wanting a future Caithness without windfarms?:confused

Is this event gonna be an anti wind rallying point?

badger
01-Sep-09, 12:57

Wonder what makes you think that? :roll:

Kevin Milkins
01-Sep-09, 14:46
Thanks for the heads up on that Badger, I may pop along to that and see if allotments are being discussed.

badger
01-Sep-09, 15:08
I've been meaning to post about these Forums (Fora ?) for a while now as they are interesting and it seems a shame so few bother to go along. You can send questions in advance so they have time to research an answer on the night and there's usually a speaker on a local topic.

lynne duncan
01-Sep-09, 22:24
hi badger,
we were discussing this at the community councl tonight, i'm planning going to this forum (will have to twist oh's arm to watch the kids)
would love to see a good attendance there are a lot of issues that can be aired at these events.

and as you say write or phone questions in in advance and they are duty bound to reply at the meetings

the community council elections will be coming up this year and new blood is always welcome around the tables

lynne duncan
01-Sep-09, 22:28
kevin
are there allotments in wick and if not where would you envisage putting them,

have thought about this myself, know that alness have recently introduced them.
i would like to see them being introduced up at hillhead, but then i would also like the hillhead playarea to be fiiled in and half of the adjacent field being given to the increase the playarea and also allow allotments to be created there

great ideas but not sure how easy to implement

ywindythesecond
01-Sep-09, 23:11

Hi Reggy
You might not have noticed but it is too late to have a Caithness without Windfarms, we already have 51 turbines built and another 25 approved at Camster. There are another 380 possibles in the system between Dunbeath and Bettyhill.
The Ward Forum is for people to engage with their councillors and to influence future policy. People need to turn out to make their views known on the issues important to them.
The issue of overwhelming windfarm development proposals for Caithness will be raised, but it will not be at the exclusion of other important topics, so everyone please come along and have your say on the future shape of Caithness and Highland.

Rheghead
01-Sep-09, 23:32
Hi Reggy
You might not have noticed but it is too late to have a Caithness without Windfarms, we already have 51 turbines built and another 25 approved at Camster. There are another 380 possibles in the system between Dunbeath and Bettyhill.

If we want an energy policy that is sustainable then clearly that is not enough.

Alan16
01-Sep-09, 23:32
Hi Reggy
The Ward Forum is for people to engage with their councillors and to influence future policy. People need to turn out to make their views known on the issues important to them.
The issue of overwhelming windfarm development proposals for Caithness will be raised, but it will not be at the exclusion of other important topics, so everyone please come along and have your say on the future shape of Caithness and Highland.

Erm... He didn't say he doesn't want windfarms, he was putting words in other peoples mouths. :D

Kodiak
01-Sep-09, 23:46
I'm way past Yawning !!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/nicmonroe/cartoon011tn.jpg

hotrod4
02-Sep-09, 05:57
Why do so few people attend Ward Forums? There are endless complaints about the Council on here and Ward Forums are the place where you can confront Community and Highland Councillors to tell them what you think, so why don't you? They are usually interesting and would be far more so if more folks came along. Incidentally I'm not a councillor of any kind but feel very strongly these meetings should be supported - use 'em or lose 'em. You even get free tea/coffee.

I would have yawned but its actually a good bit of information!!!!!

Kevin Milkins
02-Sep-09, 08:01
kevin
are there allotments in wick and if not where would you envisage putting them,

have thought about this myself, know that alness have recently introduced them.
i would like to see them being introduced up at hillhead, but then i would also like the hillhead playarea to be fiiled in and half of the adjacent field being given to the increase the playarea and also allow allotments to be created there

great ideas but not sure how easy to implement

Lynne.
I was given to believe that there were once allotments on the northeast side of Leith Walk, close to the North School and there is certainly a large area of ground their that could be given over to this type of activity.

Allotments were mentioned on a thread just a bit ago but did not raise a great deal of interest. I know it is a bit more difficult than many places to grow some crops in Caithness because of the wind, but it does surprise me what will grow if you give it a chance.

I planted a sunflower against a six-foot panel fence to give it some shade from the wind and did not expect it to do very well, but it is now three foot above the fence and seems to take everything the weather can throw at it.

This particular area being in very close proximity to the school would be ideal to do a joint project with the pupils that would involve the kids and help them understand the joys of food production.

kmahon2001
02-Sep-09, 13:14
Lynne.
I was given to believe that there were once allotments on the northeast side of Leith Walk, close to the North School and there is certainly a large area of ground their that could be given over to this type of activity.

Allotments were mentioned on a thread just a bit ago but did not raise a great deal of interest. I know it is a bit more difficult than many places to grow some crops in Caithness because of the wind, but it does surprise me what will grow if you give it a chance.

I planted a sunflower against a six-foot panel fence to give it some shade from the wind and did not expect it to do very well, but it is now three foot above the fence and seems to take everything the weather can throw at it.

This particular area being in very close proximity to the school would be ideal to do a joint project with the pupils that would involve the kids and help them understand the joys of food production.

Apologies for being slightly off topic here, but to follow on from the allotments query, if you want some good ideas on how to grow your own in Caithness, try this site http://www.gardeninginagale.com/index.htm. He's based near Dunnet Head and has some good advice and tips on growing in this windy climate.

Returning to topic, I think it would be a good opportunity to attend the joint ward forum, since Highland Council have come up with a 10-20 year plan for the development of the whole of the Highlands and it would be good to at least have some input into what will concern us here in this unique part of the Highlands.

lynne duncan
02-Sep-09, 23:19
like the idea that the council have a crystal ball for the next 10 - 20 years
shame they didn't have it for the last 5!!!