PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic swede anyone!

porshiepoo
31-Aug-09, 18:01
Has anyone else got experience of growing a particular swede called 'Helenor'?
If so, is it normal for them to grow to the size of a football?
I didn't start this lot particularly early but the ones that survived the pup have grown to mammoth proportions! Ordibarily it would be great to grow ginormous veg but I can't peel the ruddy thing. lol.

Kevin Milkins
31-Aug-09, 19:33
Has anyone else got experience of growing a particular swede called 'Helenor'?
If so, is it normal for them to grow to the size of a football?
I didn't start this lot particularly early but the ones that survived the pup have grown to mammoth proportions! Ordibarily it would be great to grow ginormous veg but I can't peel the ruddy thing. lol.

I used to grow them for the lantern market , but I found Marion or Best of All more suitable for the table.

Mystical Potato Head
31-Aug-09, 22:56
Biggest Swede i know of is Dolph Lungren.:lol:

porshiepoo
01-Sep-09, 08:17
I used to grow them for the lantern market , but I found Marion or Best of All more suitable for the table.

Thanks for that, I think I'll give one of those a try next year. These ones are just ridiculously big!

Humerous Vegetable
01-Sep-09, 15:37
:confused: Could anybody kindly tell me when tumpshies stopped being called turnips and suddenly became swedes? It's been driving me nuts for years. I remember my daughter working in a restaurant in Sussex sent somebody out to buy "turnip" for a Burn's Supper once and was appalled to be eventually presented with a load of white mush. I think the food colouring made an unexpected appearance that night. (It was that kind of restaurant)

porshiepoo
01-Sep-09, 17:17
Still don't know what to do with this Swede! I just stare at it! :lol: