PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Smokers required for 4th Jan

acameron
20-Dec-03, 03:19
Well its that time of year again “Im stopping smoking after the new year” time of year. I have set my date for the 4th of January (day after the Rangers/Celtic match) and I am really getting built up for it and I have been doing wee things like leaving the house with out my fags and leaving an after dinner smoke until an hour after dinner. I seem to have a real determination this time (maybe I really want to stop now).

Anyway, does anyone want to join me in a cough free 2004 (Highlander? Sig? Weegili?)

htwood
20-Dec-03, 05:38
I volunteer my services as cheerleader, altho the high leaps aint what they used to be.

Two wee questions:
1) Will you still stop smoking even if the Gers lose the game? and
2) Does it count as a smoke if yer hiding behind a stone wall?

Only YOU can answer these questions. YOU GO BOY!!!
Yer pal, H

Sig
20-Dec-03, 15:16
Good idea Angy,think i will join ye on this one,after i have smoked aboot a 1000 fags over xmas and new year that is.

golach
20-Dec-03, 17:12
Come on Angie & Sig,
I did it on the 31st March 2002 at 24:00 and have never smoked a fag or wanted to ever again, so good on the pair o ye, I'll be your mentor, e-mail me when you feel like a fag
Golach

Sig
20-Dec-03, 21:59
Hope this no smoking doesn't make us all grumpy owld mannies like Golach, :eek:

Greenrunner
20-Dec-03, 22:21
It'll go a long way to making ye owld!

MadPict
20-Dec-03, 22:53
Maybe you'll be only too happy to stop smoking and filling the pockets of the tobacco companies when you read what they think about their targets!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3332193.stm

http://www.tobaccopapers.com/

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminblob.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

acameron
21-Dec-03, 02:08
Well Done Sig - we will have to keep an update some how (I will be spying)

Sig - no doubt I will be smoking the same amount but come the 4th I will stop

Helen mate

Q.2 first - No smoking behind walls etc - Thats only cheating mysel
Q.1 Gers wont lose[/list]

htwood
21-Dec-03, 05:39
Angy, you sound committed to stopping smoking and I'm proud of ya. And Sig is a champ to join up.

Go Gers (difficult words from a Celtic fan)

and most of all Go Angy and Sig! :cool:

htwood
07-Jan-04, 20:44
Hallo Angy and Sig,
Howzit going? Tellll allll, yer pal, Helen :cool:

golach
07-Jan-04, 22:28
Cough!! Cough!!! Wheeze Wheeze.......hows it going lads, hev ye stopped yet or were ye kidding us
Gloach

acameron
07-Jan-04, 22:58
EVERYTHINGS FINE!!!!!!!
:D

Its ok so far, tried cold turkey on Sunday and managed a sitting position without a chair I was so uptight - but I am smoking but only 20% of what I was smoking (which is now 5 a day) - but I want to keep away from the patches and the like and on Friday I will be on 3 a day but it is right what all ex-smokers say - you really need the will power to stop and the cold turkey does not work -- it has to be slow down to a gradual stop and thats my excuse and I will stick to it

I will win

Anonymous
08-Jan-04, 12:55
hehe, your gonna find what I found...

The ONLY way to stop is to go cold turkey. Slowing down will have you back to normal smoking in a matter of weeks. Cold turkey only takes 3 days (day 3 being the worst) and then yer fine. The tough point is 3 months, never made it past 3 months yet, but next time I will for sure, just dont WANT to stop just now :/

Tips for the cold turkey:

dont drink alcohol

sleep lots

drink lots of juice (sweeter the better - mmm apple jiuce)

Avoid coffee/tea

chew gum (4 or 5 minteh extra =~ 1 fag)

get a plastic chew-toy (bic pen tops r good)

and find yerself a snack you can make in under 30 seconds (helps if its a hot snack)

day 1 - beginners (easier than you think)
day 2 - regrets (do I want to smoke)
day 3 - hell (jedi mind tricks etc)
day 4 - calm serenity (if not a bit sleepy)

forget all the nonsense people tell you about "watching you dont starts eating sweeties instead", when I next stop smoking, I'll be able to excercise off all the sugah and hey, the dentist can give me new teeth a whole lot quicker than the gp can give me new lungs (not a dig at gp's :) )

Also remember that the 4 days above also seem to be the same for the first four months, but longer, and sustained jedi mind tricks from yer nicotine habit can be pretty harrowing, you need support for this time, get someone to help (day 3 and month 3)

mysophales
08-Jan-04, 15:21
I stopped smoking 6/6/96

used paul Mckenna tape
called hypnotherapy
missed the ciggies for 2 days
and i was smoking 60 a day.
here's the web addy for anyone interested.

http://www.elysian.co.uk/acatalog/Paul_McKenna_Hypnotherapy_Range.html

acameron
08-Jan-04, 21:17
Many thanks Niall -lot of great tips there - and my pal also said the first 3 days are a nightmare
Perhaps you are right - I am using the 5 fag and 3 fag cut down as an excuse, funny how your mind works when you are at that stage.

Ok mate I have written down the tips and will go for it - the fags have a jedi mind trick of there own when they start

Many thanks mysophales - I will go for the cold turkey jedi style first but if my force becomes weak I will call on Yoda McKenna to help me through - I believe there is something there with the hypnosis if you were on 60 a day and it should be easier for me as I was a 20 a day smoker

Many thanks to all for the support

trinkie
09-Jan-04, 08:13
Hallo - I wish you all the luck in trying to stop smoking. You know it is for the best.

I am just typing my father's diaries into the computer and in 1951 it reads :

"now into 5th week of No Smoking and I'm getting on fine "........"soon have the £12
to buy a new shed"

He's just a few years back from the war and he started doing Woodwork at night school, so the new Shed was a must.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, hope you'll get your new shed soon.............!!
SD

Anonymous
09-Jan-04, 13:20
Almost forgot, the tip that got me through the first 3 days:

You should have your last fag at night, I had mine on the way to a nearby public rubbish bin where I had been instructed to deposit all me smoking kit, any remaining fags, tobacco, fag papers, filters, lighters, gas, flints, etc in the bin.

NOTE: YOU WILL RAKE YOUR OWN BINS FOR A FAG IN THE MORNING. The public one takes a bit more desperation, this helps you get past day 1, when you find yourself standing at the public bin first thing, thinking about it. OMG!!!

Having your last smoke before you throw it all out and go to your kip, gives you an 8ish hour head start when you get up. and here is a handy timescale thingy for you to see how you should be getting on:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/smoking/stop_smoking/give_up.html

So, remember, stop smoking before you go to bed, chuck oot all yer past evils, and look forward to tasty tatties, smelling better, feelling healthier. (yes tatties really do taste fantastic once you've stopped smoking for about 3 weeks)

and finally, remember this: Once you've stopped, having a fly ciggy WILL NOT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, its only the start of having another fly one, buying breath mints and lying to your family and after a couple of weeks, saying "sod it" and your a smoker once again. :roll:

Partan
09-Jan-04, 20:44
Angus

I gave up the obnoxious weed a number of years ago by employing the cold turkey technique. Previous attempts at reducing to zero were totally unsuccessful.

Niall has given you some very good tips but I have an important one to add: until you have kicked the habit (at least a month) do not frequent any place in which smoking is endemic e.g. public and private bars as the temptation to conform may be irresistible.

Another point you may wish to consider is that your real friends will give you total and unconditional support in your time of need. Many will be the Judas voices that seek to persuade you that one fag will do you no harm. Beware these vipers along with those who will solemnly inform you that their Granddad/Uncle/Cousin smoked for 90 years and never even had a cough!

The very best of luck and I am sure you will succeed. Mind you the abject showing by Rangers last Saturday must have sorely tried your commitment!

Partan

acameron
10-Jan-04, 00:42
Thanks Guys - Great tips there, I am currently smoking the last fag before first day of cold turkey - I have the stong mints ready, no tea or coffee for the next 3 days (the smoke with the coffee gets me worst) I have a game of golf arranged for the morning (no 10 fag shops on the course - and Jane has all my money) and it will keep my mind off it.

Thats it folk - fag is now stubbed out - all I have to do now it gather the reminders and dump them outside in the wheely bin (at the bottom)

So deep breath and here we go [/list]

htwood
10-Jan-04, 00:44
You can do it! Go Angy mate. :cool: