PDA

View Full Version : Bank Holiday

Venture
30-Aug-09, 19:04
Can anyone tell me if the local banks and post offices are shut tomorrow. Or is it just an English holiday?

silverfox57
30-Aug-09, 19:15
Banks in wick are shut monday

golach
30-Aug-09, 19:21
Can anyone tell me if the local banks and post offices are shut tomorrow. Or is it just an English holiday?
Ask alan16, he will definately know [lol]

Alan16
30-Aug-09, 19:31
Ask alan16, he will definately know [lol]

Oh shucks, I feel like a celebrity!

Anyway, banks? No idea. :)

golach
30-Aug-09, 19:35
as you do not know Alan16 let me enlighten you and the Org

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/01/bankholidays

This can be belived not as the info from Wiki LOL

Mrs Bucket
30-Aug-09, 19:40
Does anyone know if solicitor offices are closed tomorrow or is it just banks. I know the schools are not one holiday. I would change my agenda for tomorrow if someone could let me know. Thanks

Venture
30-Aug-09, 19:41
Thank-you golach. ;)

golach
30-Aug-09, 19:46
Thank-you golach. ;)
Venture, you are welcome :)

Alan16
30-Aug-09, 19:48
as you do not know Alan16 let me enlighten you and the Org

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/01/bankholidays

This can be belived not as the info from Wiki LOL

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_holiday#Banking_and_Financial_Dealings_Act_19 71 may also be of interest. I didn't actually expect to find that on there - they must have some wonderful editors.

Venture
30-Aug-09, 19:55
I'm slightly confused now by information at the bottom of the link from the Scottish government.

It states:

The Scottish Clearing Banks decided to harmonise the days on which Scottish banks closed with those in England and Wales from Easter 1996 onwards and are closed on Easter Monday, the last Monday in August (rather than the first) and are open for business on 2 January. The banks took the decision to harmonise with England and Wales for business reasons.

So is it open or shut on 31st August.:confused

Alan16
30-Aug-09, 19:59
I'm slightly confused now by information at the bottom of the link from the Scottish government.

It states:

The Scottish Clearing Banks decided to harmonise the days on which Scottish banks closed with those in England and Wales from Easter 1996 onwards and are closed on Easter Monday, the last Monday in August (rather than the first) and are open for business on 2 January. The banks took the decision to harmonise with England and Wales for business reasons.

So is it open or shut on 31st August.:confused

I believe they are shut. The bit you quoted says they closed them so that it is the same in England, Wales, & Scotland, to avoid confusion and stuff I'd imagine.

lister
30-Aug-09, 20:00
Bank holidays .why in this day and age do they close when its a 24/7 lifestyle we are all forced to live in ,they're already shut at the weekends for gods sake.
Maybe its a way of saving money on wages (no time+half for staff)to pay the over hyped and over paid fat cats,gotta keep them in champagne and caviar somehow!!

ciderally
30-Aug-09, 20:02
ok ....i thought this is what i was wanting to know ....is the banks in wick open tomorow??....are they ...can anyone answer just yes or no...

Venture
30-Aug-09, 20:04
This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_holiday#Banking_and_Financial_Dealings_Act_19 71 may also be of interest. I didn't actually expect to find that on there - they must have some wonderful editors.

Perhaps the wonderful wiki editors will need to edit this one now seeing as you agree that the info. from the Scottish Government states they ARE closed.[lol]

Alan16
30-Aug-09, 20:04
ok ....i thought this is what i was wanting to know ....is the banks in wick open tomorow??....are they ...can anyone answer just yes or no...

Yes, it's no.

Venture
30-Aug-09, 20:08
Now that we have sorted out the Banks, does anyone know if the Post Offices are open.;)

ciderally
30-Aug-09, 20:09
ah thanks for that....easy when you know how...tee hee

Moira
30-Aug-09, 20:24
Now that we have sorted out the Banks, does anyone know if the Post Offices are open.;)

Ah, now that is a totally different issue. Post Office Counters and the Royal Mail Deliveries never agree on this one. I'll take a wild guess and say that the Post Offices in Wick will be closed tomorrow but that you will receive a postal delivery. Then again, I could be totally wrong. ;)

golach
30-Aug-09, 20:28
Ah, now that is a totally different issue. Post Office Counters and the Royal Mail Deliveries never agree on this one. I'll take a wild guess and say that the Post Offices in Wick will be closed tomorrow but that you will receive a postal delivery. Then again, I could be totally wrong. ;)
Are you 17 Moira? If not, then you are wrong [lol] But I am sorry I am rude to ask a lady her age

Moira
30-Aug-09, 20:34
Are you 17 Moira? If not, then you are wrong [lol] But I am sorry I am rude to ask a lady her age

Alas, I am not 17, hence my disclaimer that I could be wrong. :D

Are you feeling OK Golach, you've called me many things in the past, but never a lady? [lol]

Tristan
30-Aug-09, 20:43
I must say I am curious as to the sudden interest in Alan16 in the meantime I would like to share this quote with you:
Before you go and criticize the younger generation, just remember who raised them.
—Unknown Author

golach
30-Aug-09, 20:46
I must say I am curious as to the sudden interest in Alan16 in the meantime I would like to share this quote with you:
Before you go and criticize the younger generation, just remember who raised them.
—Unknown Author
dinna blame me Tristan.........my children turned out just fine and treat me with a lot of respect. I would never criticize them [lol]

Alan16
30-Aug-09, 20:46
I must say I am curious as to the sudden interest in Alan

I think it must be my stunning looks and wonderful fashion sense. [lol]

Moira
30-Aug-09, 21:01
—Unknown Author

I don't think the interest is sudden or untoward but merely a reflection on Alan16's prolific posts here recently, his style of posting and the topics which have been covered.

I like your quote btw. :)

Alan16
30-Aug-09, 21:29
I don't think the interest is sudden or untoward but merely a reflection on Alan16's prolific posts here recently, his style of posting and the topics which have been covered.

That seems like a compliment. I'll take that. :D

I like your quote btw. :)

I concur.

Moira
30-Aug-09, 21:50
I think it must be my stunning looks and wonderful fashion sense.

I've obviously missed the thread where you posted your photo but I don't believe many posters here would have their heads turned by the stunning looks and fashion sense of 17 year-olds. ;)

That seems like a compliment. I'll take that.

I concur.

You're welcome young man, if indeed that is what you are.

I love quotes too. For every negative, there is a positive. :)

northener
30-Aug-09, 21:55
Are all the chip shops shut as well, or is it just in England?

And can I put my washing out and mow the lawn?

joxville
30-Aug-09, 22:09
Are all the chip shops shut as well, or is it just in England?

And can I put my washing out and mow the lawn?

Dunno about all the chip shops but the asphalt plant I work in is on holiday so you shouldn't have cold callers asking to do your drive. :D

An ancient British law states it's illegal to hang out washing or mow the lawn on a bank holiday. However, I don't think it's illegal to mow the washing and hang out the lawn. [lol]

Alan16
30-Aug-09, 22:27
You're welcome young man, if indeed that is what you are.

Yep, young and male, that's me.

horseman
31-Aug-09, 05:49
I cannot. believe anyone can post such a stupid post as that!!!!!!!

An. I canot believe I am ansering it!!!

So who is the 'dopiest'??

Mrs Bucket
31-Aug-09, 09:37
Does anyone know if solicitor offices are closed tomorrow or is it just banks. I know the schools are not one holiday. I would change my agenda for tomorrow if someone could let me know. Thanks

Sorted. Thank you for the PM.

Venture
31-Aug-09, 09:54
It would seem that the Post Office is open.;)

scorrie
31-Aug-09, 11:57
Are minds open or closed today? ;)

joxville
31-Aug-09, 12:01
Are minds open or closed today? ;)

Some of them are not just closed, they are pretty vacant. ;)

Kodiak
31-Aug-09, 14:03
Post Office is closed in Thurso. Today is a National Holiday for Post Offices as all Pensions were paid into the Card Accpounts on Friday Past. This only happens when it is a National Holiday for Post Offices.

This does not mean that a Sub-Post Office can not open as thary can choose whether to open or not.

Royal Mail is also on Holiday for today as my son who works for Royal Mail is on Holiday.

northener
31-Aug-09, 16:20
I've just been out with Mrs N on the bike and had my lunch in the Craggan at Talmine - and they don't accept credit cards or serve Theakstons Old Peculier...

...is this because of the Bank Holiday?