PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding & replacing brake fluid

the_big_mac
30-Aug-09, 13:48
Anyone know if McConnehys (sp!) or any other garage/similar can do this in a day? Need it done swiftish!

EDDIE
30-Aug-09, 14:49
Anyone know if McConnehys (sp!) or any other garage/similar can do this in a day? Need it done swiftish!

If ure brake fluid is low you need to get the brakes checked out for leaks it might just be the fact that all your pads is low.
If u have done ajob on your car and you cant get it to bleed fill the reservoir up sometimes if u leave it over night it will bleed its self.
Are u in the AA u could phone in a fault they can easily bleed a brake system on the side of the road.

the_big_mac
30-Aug-09, 14:56
Naw its not low. Level is fine.

Im pretty sure that there is water in the system now, so when the engine is up to temp the brake fluid's boiling point is much much lower, the water evaporates, which means I lose pressure and therefore my foot goes to the floor!

Cant find any leaks.

EDDIE
30-Aug-09, 15:13
Naw its not low. Level is fine.

Im pretty sure that there is water in the system now, so when the engine is up to temp the brake fluid's boiling point is much much lower, the water evaporates, which means I lose pressure and therefore my foot goes to the floor!

Cant find any leaks.

If you pump your brake pedal fast and your brake pedal returns to its normal pressure when you press the brake thats the brakes needs adjusted if its not that you can try changing the brake fluid i think your supposed to change it every 2 years but i would go for saying its the brake master cylinder.
Thats a dangerous fault i really cant see it being the brake fluid u need to take your car to the garage and get the brakes visually checked
Symtoms u have given to me its either faulty master cylinder,brakes need adjusting or calipers seized and u have to pump the pedal a few time before the brake piston press the the brake pad on the disc.

the_big_mac
30-Aug-09, 15:31
If you pump your brake pedal fast and your brake pedal returns to its normal pressure when you press the brake thats the brakes needs adjusted if its not that you can try changing the brake fluid i think your supposed to change it every 2 years but i would go for saying its the brake master cylinder.
Thats a dangerous fault i really cant see it being the brake fluid u need to take your car to the garage and get the brakes visually checked
Symtoms u have given to me its either faulty master cylinder,brakes need adjusting or calipers seized and u have to pump the pedal a few time before the brake piston press the the brake pad on the disc.

It seems to be fine until the engine is hot. When the engine is off then I barely have to pump the pedal once before pressure returns.

Surely if its anything else then it wouldnt make a difference whether the engine is at running temp or not.

EDDIE
30-Aug-09, 15:45
It seems to be fine until the engine is hot. When the engine is off then I barely have to pump the pedal once before pressure returns.

Surely if its anything else then it wouldnt make a difference whether the engine is at running temp or not.

When the engine is off the brake servo isnt working so the pedal would be hard and when the engine is on the brake servo is working so the pedal is easier to work.
But if u are going into a garage i wouldnt tell them to change the brake fluid because thats what they will do only and charge u and it might not be that i would just give them the symtoms and let them diagnose the fault
The brake fluid system is a totally seperate system from the engine so i cant see it boiling the brake fluid
If your losing brake pressure it can only be a leak,brakes badly out of adjustment or brake fluid bypassing through seals in a master cylinder

theone
30-Aug-09, 18:16
Water in the fluid would cause it to boil when the brakes are hot, not when the engine is hot. If one of your brakes is sticking on slightly, this might explain why you lose braking power when the car's been running for a while.

Either that or a seal is leaking either in a caliper or master cylinder causing fluid to leak back to the resevoir and hence requiring pumping of the brakes.

I'm home on Tuesday, and by coincidence am changing my front pads and discs.

Give me a phone then matey.....

JimH
30-Aug-09, 21:47
If ure brake fluid is low you need to get the brakes checked out for leaks it might just be the fact that all your pads is low.
If u have done ajob on your car and you cant get it to bleed fill the reservoir up sometimes if u leave it over night it will bleed its self.
Are u in the AA u could phone in a fault they can easily bleed a brake system on the side of the road.
Neither the AA, RAC, Greenflag or anybody else with any sense will bleed brakes at the side of the road. Any reputable garage can do it in an hour.
However - If things go wrong it can take an hour or 12 hours depending on the cause. Modern methods are quite quick and efficient.