PDA

View Full Version : Early train.

you
29-Aug-09, 16:49
Does anyone else regularly use the early train to Inverness? It leaves Wick at 06.20 on Mondays to Saturdays and is usually quite busy at this time of the year. The trolley with hot drinks and sandwiches has been cancelled on that train and it seems that it will not be reinstated.
It is not good for passengers who make the four and a quarter hour journey who get onto a train which has been standing in Wick station all night, and can be cold, even at this time of the year.
If you feel that this train should have a refreshment service with warm drinks please email: scotrailcustomer.relations@firstgroup.com. The more people who bring the subject to their attention, the better. Perhaps, someone, somewhere, will take notice for the comfort of firstscotrail's customers, who can be old, young and all ages in between!
Because we live in the far North does not mean that we should be treated in this fashion.

EDDIE
29-Aug-09, 19:09
Does anyone else regularly use the early train to Inverness? It leaves Wick at 06.20 on Mondays to Saturdays and is usually quite busy at this time of the year. The trolley with hot drinks and sandwiches has been cancelled on that train and it seems that it will not be reinstated.
It is not good for passengers who make the four and a quarter hour journey who get onto a train which has been standing in Wick station all night, and can be cold, even at this time of the year.
If you feel that this train should have a refreshment service with warm drinks please email: scotrailcustomer.relations@firstgroup.com. The more people who bring the subject to their attention, the better. Perhaps, someone, somewhere, will take notice for the comfort of firstscotrail's customers, who can be old, young and all ages in between!
Because we live in the far North does not mean that we should be treated in this fashion.

If they have stopped it is probably because its not paying for itself but what about suggestion to scotrail about getting vending machine for snacks and warm drinks at least that way u have given them an alternative to solving the problem.

Mr P Cannop
29-Aug-09, 19:27
If they have stopped it is probably because its not paying for itself but what about suggestion to scotrail about getting vending machine for snacks and warm drinks at least that way u have given them an alternative to solving the problem.

do you know why its not paying for its self the prices are too high

Dr Evil
29-Aug-09, 20:25
maybe it isnt payin for itself as it is very expensive but i am a very regular long distance train user and on a long haul journey the trolley is ideal more so in the early morning than any other time of the day

Rheghead
29-Aug-09, 21:50
Take some sandwiches and a flask of tea with you. Job solved and much cheaper.

EDDIE
29-Aug-09, 22:56

well would u get rid of the trolley if it was making money?

Fran
30-Aug-09, 00:57
I have never noticed the trolley missing on the early train. wasn't it because the trolley dolly was off sick. i now use the 8am train and the trolley dolly is always on that one.
By the way the over 55's offer of anywhere in sacotland return for only £15 is back on.

ciderally
30-Aug-09, 15:50
i have sent off an email...refer it to your M.P. as well

rfr10
30-Aug-09, 17:52
I am sure I remember the day the early morning trolley service stopped. There was an announcement on the train which stated that the staff member responsible for catering on the train had not turned up. It could be staff shortage more than anything else that has stopped the service in the morning.

©Amethyst
30-Aug-09, 22:57
I have e-mailed them. I know people who regularly use that train and I'm sure they all want it reinstated. I would. Always too sleepy that early in the morning to make my own cup of tea (would scald myself).

George Brims
31-Aug-09, 06:47
I have never noticed the trolley missing on the early train. wasn't it because the trolley dolly was off sick. i now use the 8am train and the trolley dolly is always on that one.
By the way the over 55's offer of anywhere in sacotland return for only £15 is back on.
That's an excellent deal. Now that I qualify I just need the mrs to get a bit older and we can both use the train next time we're over.

Invisible
31-Aug-09, 10:11

yes i agree well said, i shall be writing an email because I use this service.

newlabeluk
01-Sep-09, 08:02
i'd definitely need it......that's the train my sister puts me on when i come to stay. and i don't want a cuppa before the 20 mile drive into the station.

lybsterlad
01-Sep-09, 08:53
Is this appropriate name, feel trolley dolly is a bit insulting to staff in this employment

Bazeye
01-Sep-09, 17:47
Is this appropriate name, feel trolley dolly is a bit insulting to staff in this employment

Especially if it happens to be a bloke.

Fran
02-Sep-09, 02:08
Very sorry i used the word "trolley dolly", which i had always used till now out of habit. It should be trolley person. My apologies.

Metalattakk
02-Sep-09, 03:09
Very sorry i used the word "trolley dolly", which i had always used till now out of habit. It should be trolley person. My apologies.

Nonsense, there's no need to be so PC. Even the trolley dollies call themselves 'Trolley Dollies'. It's far from an insult.

philupmaboug
02-Sep-09, 19:45
Apparently Hospitality Staff is the correct term but I don't think the guys doing it mind ;-)

weeboyagee
03-Sep-09, 13:54
I have travelled to Inverness from Wick when the person for the buffet trolley didn't turn up in Inverness. There I was sitting down to enjoy my DVD on my computer, awaiting the GnT and snacks with a beer. Within 30 secs after the train left I was asked for my ticket. Paid the fare and asked when the trolley would be coming round. Told that there would be no trolley for the reason stated. I immediately telephoned a friend in Thurso who very kindly went to Frasers, bought a bottle of Gin, Couple of Bottles of Tonic, a few cans, bags of crisps, dip, the lot. Met me when the train pulled into Thurso and boy, what a party that carriage had on the way to Inverness - and I had never met any of them before.

Similarly - on the way up from Inverness another lot of folks (including Squidges lad who I didn't know and had not previously met) landed up with a 3 hour sing-song of modern pop songs, you name it we sang it - we even tried stopping them getting off in Thurso and the rest of us went on to Wick! Squidge heard the story from her son about the brilliant craic on the train and clicked as to who it was (clever squidge!). Anyway - that day there was a buffet trolley but sod all left on it by the time it got to Wick!

I agree though - price too high or not - it's too long a train journey not to have that service and it does nothing to enhance the visitor / tourist experience of the North never mind the travelling experience of the locals. Facts first though - and I've raised it with Scotrail to deliver them.

Will let you know how I get on.

On another note - there's a ceilidh with the Edinburgh/Caithness association coming up in November and we're looking to all travel south on the train with musical instruments in tow! Anyone for a horo-gheallaidh on the train again?

WBG :cool:

©Amethyst
03-Sep-09, 13:58
Sounds like fun! Might plan a visit to Thurso at the same time :D