PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Tomato Soup please

Kathb
29-Aug-09, 15:14
I would welcome recipes for Tomato soup, using home grown straight from the greenhouse. Any recommendations please?
Kathb

braalterr903
31-Aug-09, 11:47
yes i would like one to.

golach
31-Aug-09, 15:17
http://www.cookuk.co.uk/soup_starter/tomato-soup.htm

Is this what you want?

laguna2
31-Aug-09, 16:44
1 kg ripe tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 small carrot
1 stick celery
2 tbsp olive oil
2 squirts tomato puree (about 2 tsp)
a good pinch of sugar
2 bay leaves
1.2 l hot veg stock

Wash toms and discard green stems. Cut each tom into quarters and slice off any hard cores. Peel onion and carrot and chop into small pieces. Chop celery to roughly same size.

Put olive oil into large pan and heat it over a low heat. Tip in the onion, carrot and celery and mix together with wooden spoon. With heat low cook veg until they are soft and faintly coloured. This should take about 10 minutes. Stir them 2 or 3 times so that they cook evenly and don't stick to the pan.

Squirt in about 2 tsp tom puree abd stir so it turns the veg red. Add the tomatoes, spinkle in a good pinch of sugar and a little black pepper, tear each bay leaf in half and add to pan. Put lid on pan and let the mixture stew over a low heat for about 10 minutes until toms shrink down in the pan. From time to time give the pan a good shake - this will keep everything well mixed.

Slowly pour in the stock - stirring at the same time to mix it with the veg. Turn up the heat as high as it will go and wait until everything is bubbling, then turn the heat down to low again and put on the lid. Cook gently for 25 minutes, stirring a couple of times. At the end of the cooking time the toms will hav broken down and be very slushy looking.

Remove the pan from the heat, take off the lid and allow the steam to escape. Take out the bay leaves and throw them away.

Blitz the soup using a blender.

Return to pan and reheat it over a medium heat stirring occasionally. Season to taste.

You can actually freeze this soup for up to 3 months.

Hope you enjoy it!

Kathb
03-Sep-09, 17:55
Laguna, tried this last night it was delicious. I just added a clove or two of garlic to your recipe. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Thank You
Kathb

laguna2
04-Sep-09, 07:56
:D glad to be of help .... will try adding garlic next time! :D