PDA

View Full Version : Homeaid

moose and Lindsay
30-Mar-06, 21:00
I thought homeaid was ment to be a charity???

Taking in 2nd furniture for the needy

So how can they have a shop with things people have donated to them, on the understanding it is to be given to the needy and homeaid has it in the shop for sale at ridiculous prices???

My father-in-law gave them a unit, on the understanding it was going to someone that was in need, he went into their shop a couple of days later and here it was for sale at £60, he wasn't amused!!!

Fair enough they have expenses, but what ridiculous prices [mad]

Billy Boy
30-Mar-06, 21:12

Taking in 2nd furniture for the needy

So how can they have a shop with things people have donated to them, on the understanding it is to be given to the needy and homeaid has it in the shop for sale at ridiculous prices???

My father-in-law gave them a unit, on the understanding it was going to someone that was in need, he went into their shop a couple of days later and here it was for sale at £60, he wasn't amused!!!

Fair enough they have expenses, but what ridiculous prices [mad]

you should be able to state when donating items whether you want it to be sold or given to someone[disgust]

unicorn
30-Mar-06, 21:27
Thats a bit of bare faced cheek!

fred
30-Mar-06, 22:10

Strange, I was in there just the other day and I was thinking exactly the same thing, I said to the wife "remember the good old days when we could afford to buy things in charity shops".

unicorn
30-Mar-06, 22:17
well we have our own free section here so we just have to make the most of it instead!!

angela5
30-Mar-06, 22:48
I was passing Blysthwood's charity shop in wick today.. i could not believe they had a scabby out dated manky suite in the window with a price tag of £170:eek:

2little2late
30-Mar-06, 23:11
I was passing Blysthwood's charity shop in wick today.. i could not believe they had a scabby out dated manky suite in the window with a price tag of £170:eek:

It was £250 a couple of weeks ago.

krieve
Is it £170 angela never, i went passed the other day but never looked at the price i would not pay that for it anyway.

Buttercup
Maybe things have changed now, but, a few years back, we had to (unfortunately) dispose of a suite which was in excellent condition. Being charity minded, we contacted HomeAid and explained the situation. After assuring the woman that it had a fire safety certificate (and undergoing the "third degree" regarding it's discription) we were told that it would be inspected when they came to collect it and if it didn't pass they wouldn't be taking it!! (they did take it) This was our first and last dealings with them. After that the council got a call or items were taken to the skip/dump, no matter how good they were. Since then we've heard of quite a few similar stories.

unicorn
30-Mar-06, 23:12
It's a sad day when charity shops are outpricing themselves.

angela5
30-Mar-06, 23:12
It was £250 a couple of weeks ago.

Never! what a neck they have trying to flog it for that price. It should be lying out at seatter tip.:grin:

2little2late
30-Mar-06, 23:13
Never! what a neck they have trying to flog it for that price. It should be lying out at seatter tip.:grin:

Pardon the pun [lol]

angela5
30-Mar-06, 23:15
It's a sad day when charity shops are outpricing themselves.

Who do they think is going to hand over £170 for an out dated manky suite:roll:
you can get a really nice one out of argos for not much more than that.

clash67
30-Mar-06, 23:21
apart from charging crazy prices they also get a lot of financial help from case but who is benefiting from home aid and how much is being claimed for adminastration I wonder?

krieve
30-Mar-06, 23:27
I have given homeaid a few things sitting room units, bookcase , table and the day they were supposed to be picking it up, i waited in the whole day and they never showed. So i phoned them to see if they were coming for the stuff. The reception i got when i phoned was not exactly the best, the person was rude infact. Anyway i was given another date for them to come and did they show! no... so later that day i got a phone call saying they would'nt be coming and they could come and pick it up a week later. They did make it 3rd time lucky but they were late.

angela5
30-Mar-06, 23:27
I was under the impression everything homeaid had donated to them was giving free to people who were in need :confused:

krieve
30-Mar-06, 23:31
I was under the impression everything homeaid had donated to them was giving free to people who were in need :confused:
No some of the stuff you have to pay for.

clash67
30-Mar-06, 23:31
no I think all the rubbish stuff gets sold at a minimal price to the needy but the good gear ...well.

angela5
30-Mar-06, 23:34
no I think all the rubbish stuff gets sold at a minimal price to the needy but the good gear ...well.

Well...you can only imagine where that goes!:mad:

clash67
30-Mar-06, 23:39
Well...you can only imagine where that goes!:mad:
yeah to the greedy not the needy.
i have had the sad experience of meeting she who owns home aid and I can tell you she is a nasty person!! Very sure of herself and very cheeky!!

sjwahwah
30-Mar-06, 23:40
well we have our own free section here so we just have to make the most of it instead!!

well said!

jay
31-Mar-06, 08:23
we seem to hear a lot of stories about people finding it almost impossible to donate stuff to homeaid - most of which seems to be in perfectly good condition yet the shop (which is rarely open) seems to be full of junk. I too have had a bad experience with the manager and would never deal with them again. Does anyone actually know of any needy people who have actually been helped?

newpark
31-Mar-06, 08:55
I was in there the other day and I was so surprised by their prices I said to the woman. She didnt seem to think so. What can you do except not shop in there anymore. There was a buggy in the window which looked like it had been used by every bairn in caithness. It should have been going to the dump but they were charging £12.......

the original ducky
31-Mar-06, 09:11
homeaid and alot of the charity shops are getting dear now is stupid. i put a unit to homeaid it was pine and very nice and i went in to there shop a 5 months ago and they put it for sale for £40 i was really mad cause i thought it was gunna to go someone who was needing it. never gunna put anything there again and as for the women that i spoke to to get it uplifted was not very nice she seems to speak down to alot of people that what i have been told by people that i know thats gone there.

footie chick
31-Mar-06, 09:41
Know of an elderly couple who wanted rid of a sideboard, very heavy, weren't fit to lift it themselves, Homeaid told them to empty it and put in into the middle of the room for uplift! They phoned Blythswood instead who told them to leave it where it was and the guys helped them empty it!!!

concerned resident
31-Mar-06, 09:43
I believe that home aid have had money from CASE, they are a charity, so do not pay Council rates, also I believe there was a bit in the paper about them looking for funding from the council, as they have a short fall in there funding. It’s a shame they have lost sight of what they were supposed to be doing, and it looks like we are the ones, paying.

Countryman
31-Mar-06, 12:07
As a charity they should publish accounts - and you should be able to ask to see them. If they don't - Well ??????????????????.
Has anyone seen their accounts

jay
31-Mar-06, 12:29
seeing their accounts would not show where the goods are going or who actually gets them - they'd need stock control records which could stand up to an audit - don't think that's likely to happen!

pultneytooner
31-Mar-06, 13:42
Maybe someone should set up their own charity shop and just charge enough to pay themselves a wage and cover their expenses.
Lots of charities now send letters asking you to donate saying "for just £10 per month....blah....blah....blah".
Whatever happened to just asking to donate what you can afford and not asking for specific amounts?

obiron
31-Mar-06, 14:31
quite happy to donate to charity but the other week i was called up by red cross the guy on the phone didnt understand that i couldnt afford the £20 a month they wanted me to pay. he got quite shirty when i told him that as i didnt know who he was did he honestly expect me to give my bank details out over the phone.

cuddlepop
31-Mar-06, 14:40
What ifeel is happening is that there are too many charity shops competing for the available trade.instead of reasonably pricing things and getting a sale they outprice them selfs and get nothing.Homeaid were advertising for a manager not that long ago,maybe they'll change things.
Inverness charity shops aren't too pricey.Last week i managed to get curtains for £2 50 and a lovely oil painting for the same.Went round most of them and got nick nacks for a £5.
Really enjoyed myself.:)

dozy
31-Mar-06, 16:15
Homeaid ,well there's a question .The poor souls who have had their names put forward by the right Social Servises department have to pay for delivery .

unicorn
31-Mar-06, 16:32
wow that really is just a bit much!!! someone somewhere must be making money from this....
Homeaid ,well there's a question .The poor souls who have had their names put forward by the right Social Servises department have to pay for delivery .

scorrie
31-Mar-06, 16:34
Know of an elderly couple who wanted rid of a sideboard, very heavy, weren't fit to lift it themselves, Homeaid told them to empty it and put in into the middle of the room for uplift! They phoned Blythswood instead who told them to leave it where it was and the guys helped them empty it!!!

Blythswood need to take a look at themselves as well. They have a suite in the Wick shop just now that was £200, then £170 last time I looked. Frankly, I have seen better lying in a skip!! Other ornaments are being bleached by the sun as they sit priced at £20, when worth a £1 or £2 at most.

You have to wonder about the cheek of some charities. My brother was tackled on the street by a charity that provides clean water. He offered them £5 but they would not take it, stating that they wanted a direct debit set up instead!!

A charity for the Blind asked my Mum to go round the neighbourhood with a tin to collect money. When she explained that she had suffered a stroke and kept poor health they responded by sending forms through the post for my Mum to leave them money in her Will. We complained to the charity about the insensitivity of this but received no response at all, far less an apology.

Julia
31-Mar-06, 16:54
I knew someone who got a suite via Homeaid, it cost £5 which I think is the norm for larger items of furniture.

Just a few weeks ago I donated a couple of items of furniture and some bedding to Homeaid, I hope it did not end up in the shop for sale as I intended it to go to a needy family.

I will add thought that they arrived on time to pick the items up and were quite polite.

dozy
31-Mar-06, 17:22
I with a few others wanted to open a furniture Reuse Centre ,but the Council say No . The idea was to take in items (just like Homeaid) but to assess ,clean and repair ,with bedding and soft furinishing being vac-packed to keep them fresh and clean .
A shop on the main street is a bit much and with the amount of money swallowed up being over £250,000 is OTT.If they do have items that cannot find a home for, a small auction at the end of the month would be fine .That being said all the people who have donated items should have been told that some things may go to auction .It's always the same ,the best people for the job don't get the chance to make it a long term self-supporting local benefit .

erli
31-Mar-06, 19:00
Well none of this bothers me. If I wanted to make any money from my unwanted belongings than I would sell them privately.
In the last two weeks I have given away loads of furniture and don't mind if Homeaid want to sell it. Once I have given it away it's up to them what they do with it, I was just glad to get rid of it.
If you don't want anyone to make a profit from your old junk put it to the skip.
Since they advertise as, 'distributing to those on a low income or for SELLING in their charity shop' it should not come as a big surprise that they are in fact selling your unwanted belongings.

clash67
31-Mar-06, 22:22
Well none of this bothers me. If I wanted to make any money from my unwanted belongings than I would sell them privately.
In the last two weeks I have given away loads of furniture and don't mind if Homeaid want to sell it. Once I have given it away it's up to them what they do with it, I was just glad to get rid of it.
If you don't want anyone to make a profit from your old junk put it to the skip.
Since they advertise as, 'distributing to those on a low income or for SELLING in their charity shop' it should not come as a big surprise that they are in fact selling your unwanted belongings.
So it doesn't bother you that home aid is costing the tax payers money, getting charitable status and the benefits that occurs and yet they seem to be acting less than charitable?

erli
31-Mar-06, 22:26
So it doesn't bother you that home aid is costing the tax payers money, getting charitable status and the benefits that occurs and yet they seem to be acting less than charitable?

How are they acting less than charitable?
What are they doing that you think is so wrong?

clash67
31-Mar-06, 22:35
How are they acting less than charitable?
What are they doing that you think is so wrong?
overcharging for one, and if you remember they had been donated a load of computors which they advertised in the local paper to be sold to the needy for £5 each,I dont know anybody that got one of those £5 computors but last I heard they got sold in wick to anybody who wanted them for £50 each, is that wrong enough for ya!!! And when i tried to buy basic plastic chairs of them, the tpye you get in schools, they had the cheek to ask for 35 each for them...thats how much they are new!!

erli
31-Mar-06, 22:45
overcharging for one, and if you remember they had been donated a load of computors which they advertised in the local paper to be sold to the needy for £5 each,I dont know anybody that got one of those £5 computors but last I heard they got sold in wick to anybody who wanted them for £50 each, is that wrong enough for ya!!! And when i tried to buy basic plastic chairs of them, the tpye you get in schools, they had the cheek to ask for 35 each for them...thats how much they are new!!

The last you heard....... So it's gospel is it??????
I for one give to charity on the basis that they can do with it as they see fit. They are a charity for goodness sake, I'm happy if they make money from my old rubbish.

devon lass
31-Mar-06, 22:51
Back down South we used to shop in our local woodside animal welfare charity shop, everything in there was only £1 .Childrens clothes was iether 2 for a £1 or 3 for a £1.realy good quality stuff.Sometimes they had all the brand names Next,Evans to name but a few.
After a while all the other charity shops found out that they could make more money by reducing their cost.Perhaps charity shops up here could give that a try.

unicorn
31-Mar-06, 22:52
Dumb question coming lol but what do they do with the money they make?

2little2late
31-Mar-06, 22:55
Dumb question coming lol but what do they do with the money they make?

MMmmmm never thought of that.

clash67
31-Mar-06, 22:57
The last you heard....... So it's gospel is it??????
I for one give to charity on the basis that they can do with it as they see fit. They are a charity for goodness sake, I'm happy if they make money from my old rubbish.
Ya just dont get it do ya! They get money from case, they pay little to no rates because of their charitable status..to get charitable status they have to adhere to certain rules and conditions because the money they recieve from case and the allowances they get from the council all comes out of our pocket at the end of the day and to make matters worse she is a nasty person with very little patients for anyone, while driving I slowed her down for a moment because i was looking for the correct turn off, i turned in the usual polite local mannerism to wave an apoligy for holding her up for what must have been all of five seconds and she scouwled at me and shook her head as if i just ruined her day, just like a wee spoilt girl!!

erli
31-Mar-06, 23:00
Ya just dont get it do ya! They get money from case, they pay little to no rates because of their charitable status..to get charitable status they have to adhere to certain rules and conditions because the money they recieve from case and the allowances they get from the council all comes out of our pocket at the end of the day and to make matters worse she is a nasty person with very little patients for anyone, while driving I slowed her down for a moment because i was looking for the correct turn off, i turned in the usual polite local mannerism to wave an apoligy for holding her up for what must have been all of five seconds and she scouwled at me and shook her head as if i just ruined her day, just like a wee spoilt girl!!

I do get, don't try to make me sound like I'm stupid.
I think the only problem here is that you don't like the Manager.

clash67
31-Mar-06, 23:09
I do get, don't try to make me sound like I'm stupid.
I think the only problem here is that you don't like the Manager.
maybe you have a point, i dont like her, not one bit, but i also dont like seeing my wages getting picked to pieces every week and knowing all the rip offs that my money is going towards, if she..Queen of all things second hand..comes up from Glasgow or where ever she came from and starts using our money to fund her little empire well I for one would like to see it a little more monitored than it seems to be, and from what I've been told (hearsay) that might just happen.

erli
31-Mar-06, 23:16
maybe you have a point, i dont like her, not one bit, but i also dont like seeing my wages getting picked to pieces every week and knowing all the rip offs that my money is going towards, if she..Queen of all things second hand..comes up from Glasgow or where ever she came from and starts using our money to fund her little empire well I for one would like to see it a little more monitored than it seems to be, and from what I've been told (hearsay) that might just happen.

I have no idea what you are talking about now. :confused:

clash67
31-Mar-06, 23:19
I have no idea what you are talking about now. :confused:
No I guessed that much from your posts. all the best.

angela5
31-Mar-06, 23:28
Well just to be curious today i had a look in the hospice shop..there was an old faded suede jacket with rusty poppers on the cuffs..the neck of the jacket was black and the price tag was £7.50..:eek: Do they really expect some mug to pay that price?.

erli
31-Mar-06, 23:32
No I guessed that much from your posts. all the best.

OK I'm hurt now, meet me Sunday night at 20:30 in the Quiz Room.
If you can find it.[lol]

connieb19
31-Mar-06, 23:33
Well just to be curious today i had a look in the hospice shop..there was an old faded suede jacket with rusty poppers on the cuffs..the neck of the jacket was black and the price tag was £7.50..:eek: Do they really expect some mug to pay that price?.I couldnt help but notice that suite you were on about in the Blytheswood window, surely they don't expect anyone to pay £170 for it?? I've seen better sitting waiting to go in the scaffie cart!!!:roll:

angela5
31-Mar-06, 23:36
I couldnt help but notice that suite you were on about in the Blytheswood window, surely they don't expect anyone to pay £170 for it?? I've seen better sitting waiting to go in the scaffie cart!!!:roll:

Aye connie pretty barf eh!..[para] Everything in that shop is over priced..Do they think they are the next Mackenzies..:lol:

alistair harper
31-Mar-06, 23:45
hi moose and lindsay
nothing much to be added about home aid but i would just like to say that is one of the best looking rovers i have ever seen work of art
take care
aly

wee_fuzzy_kitty
01-Apr-06, 00:23
The people that work there dont get paid either do they? Most of them are on a new deal scheme from the job centre or something like that.
I did get a washing machine from there for 25 pound about 2 years ago and its still working, so that good. When they first started they gave things to people who needed it for free didnt they? Why do they need to change it now? If its a charity for people in need, who are the people in need? The manager?

connieb19
01-Apr-06, 00:27
Dumb question coming lol but what do they do with the money they make?Interesting question!!!!:confused: :confused:

moose and Lindsay
01-Apr-06, 00:44
hi moose and lindsay
nothing much to be added about home aid but i would just like to say that is one of the best looking rovers i have ever seen work of art
take care
aly

It is nice isn't it, i found it on ebay and i was gutted coz i didn't have money for it:mad:

But i have the same car so nothing stopping me getting my car resprayed that colour ;)

ice box
01-Apr-06, 01:04
Tell me something if the office staff get paid and the workers are of the brew were does the money they get as a charity go to iam confused ?

moose and Lindsay
01-Apr-06, 01:31
I think everybody is :confused

All the expense i can think of is fuel and tax for that brand new van they have!!!!!!

With the money they r making they can afford to buy people brand new stuff, when they get refered :lol:

webmannie
01-Apr-06, 10:48
The shop in Thurso was advertised @ £150,000 before homeaid bought it, hmmm wonder who paid for that then?

Me, through a quango grant!!

concerned resident
01-Apr-06, 11:34
I think the whole situation stems with accountability, if the Council and CASE and others, were stupid enough to give me money for some good cause, and then never check, to see what I was up too, I would probably be sending them the odd post card from a beach in Spain, asking for more funding.

clash67
01-Apr-06, 14:38
OK I'm hurt now, meet me Sunday night at 20:30 in the Quiz Room.
If you can find it.[lol]
If I find it I'll be there, actually I didnt know there was a Quiz room, i'm qiute looking forward to it although I usualy get a pasting at quizzes. Hee Hee(nervis laugh):lol:

erli
01-Apr-06, 15:22
If I find it I'll be there, actually I didnt know there was a Quiz room, i'm qiute looking forward to it although I usualy get a pasting at quizzes. Hee Hee(nervis laugh):lol:

Go to the Caithness.org drop down menu at the top left, click on Chat Room. You will need to register for this, but it's on every sunday night at 20:30. It's a great night and I look forward to "seeing" you there.

clash67
01-Apr-06, 19:34
Go to the Caithness.org drop down menu at the top left, click on Chat Room. You will need to register for this, but it's on every sunday night at 20:30. It's a great night and I look forward to "seeing" you there.
okley dokely.

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 20:14
Remember the old saying,"Charity begins at home", Well it does, YOUR home. When you donate, what hapens to the items are no longer your concern after you donate them. Would you complain if your neighbour sold a record player that you gave to them. I think not. So whats the problem? If you could have sold the items for the price asked by the charity shops, would you not have done so through .org????

connieb19
01-Apr-06, 20:16
Would you complain if your neighbour sold a record player that you gave to them.I don't think I'd be too chuffed!!:(

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 20:26
Conni, 10 year ago you could have had mine with a free teenager with it. 17 year ago you could have 2 for the price of 1.(teenagers that is) Im open to offers though. One 30 The other 27

clash67
01-Apr-06, 20:44
Remember the old saying,"Charity begins at home", Well it does, YOUR home. When you donate, what hapens to the items are no longer your concern after you donate them. Would you complain if your neighbour sold a record player that you gave to them. I think not. So whats the problem? If you could have sold the items for the price asked by the charity shops, would you not have done so through .org????
ok! well why dont we all open a charity shop and and see how much wee can rip off public money until eventualy the town is so broke through funding these ventures that nobody will be able to afford to buy from charity shops or any other shops.
My point being that charitable causes such as Home Aid is costing the tax payer money and shouldnt be abused in any way.

Royster1911
02-Apr-06, 16:59
Come on Clash67, Are you accusing Home Aid of ripping people off? It is a buyers market in the charity business. If its too expensive, you dont buy it. Works every time for me and I dont go into charity shops that much. If you think that they are abusing their charitable status, then you should report it to the relative authorities. I dont think this is the case and would certainly not accuse them of that without the relevant figures to hand. A lawsuit would probably be on my doorstep if I did....

dozy
02-Apr-06, 17:07
Where does the loving relationship between Royster 1911 and Homeaid stem from ,are you the local Caped Crusader of the Holy Homeaid .Should i look to the skies for a sign that calls you to the Homeaid cause ....Do you need a phonebox to help don the Cape of Power ........

moose and Lindsay
02-Apr-06, 17:12
I think what poeple need to know is where is the money is going they get from selling stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cancer shop- cancer patients

Hospice shop- sick people or where ever

red cross- hungary people

What is homeaid supporting?????

Who do they give their money to??????????

Fair enough the furniture goes to help poverty in caithness, but what about the money

dozy
02-Apr-06, 17:16
Their's a kid's song at go's...I. think I.. think. I.. smell a sink coming from Y O U .....

Royster1911
02-Apr-06, 19:45
I do not have an interest in home aid or any other charity. I was brought up to believe the saying " There but for the grace of god, goes you". I know what its like not to have anything. DO YOU?? Start from the bottom and work your way up. We are of course talking about peoples lives, not their position in the workplace

Royster1911
02-Apr-06, 19:50
Dozy, if you are going to make a comment on this thread, let us know what it actually means. If your sinks smell, Call a plumber

bingo1
02-Apr-06, 21:09
I was under the impression everything homeaid had donated to them was giving free to people who were in need :confused: No you dont get anything for free from them even if you are needie... My pal needed a cooker after having her child and wasnt working and they wanted £40 for it and to tell you the truth i wouldnt have let my dog eat from it.:cry:

dozy
02-Apr-06, 22:16
.So its true even you (royster 1911) can see the mistake if it's in black and white ,and yes it should be stink ...No plumbers needed ...Sorry ... Just a clearer picture of the Truth .....You can fool some people all of the time ...But not all of them ,all of the time ....

Sorry to hear about the cooker ..its SAD ???

angela5
02-Apr-06, 22:26
No you dont get anything for free from them even if you are needie... My pal needed a cooker after having her child and wasnt working and they wanted £40 for it and to tell you the truth i wouldnt have let my dog eat from it.:cry:

Anytime i donated furniture to homeaid..all in good condition i was under the impression that someone in need benefited from this charity recieving goods for free..£40 is pretty steep for a cooker to someone on a low income:mad:

connieb19
02-Apr-06, 22:40
Their motto is, for people not profit????:confused: Just, where do all the profits go?

http://www.homeaid.org.uk/

I've been looking on here but it's not any clearer!!

angela5
02-Apr-06, 22:53
Maybe this is why they are charging the needie people disgraceful prices:(
.................................................. .................................................. .
(For many people, obtaining furniture and domestic appliances from HomeAid is their only option. The discretionary grants and loans system introduced in 1988 greatly reduced the number of people able to access funds to furnish their home. HomeAid was established in 1996 in response to the growing need for practical support for families and individuals struggling to live on a low income. )
.................................................. .................................................. ..

krieve
02-Apr-06, 23:48
Their motto is, for people not profit????:confused: Just, where do all the profits go?

http://www.homeaid.org.uk/

I've been looking on here but it's not any clearer!!
Its worth a try why not email them and ask?

Fran
03-Apr-06, 01:38
the highland hospice shop raises money for beds in wick and thurso for cancer patients and to fund the employment of specialised cancer nurses for these patients. unlike other charity shops, money raised by the hospice shops in wick and thurso stays in Caithness.

I think what poeple need to know is where is the money is going they get from selling stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cancer shop- cancer patients

Hospice shop- sick people or where ever

red cross- hungary people

What is homeaid supporting?????

Who do they give their money to??????????

Fair enough the furniture goes to help poverty in caithness, but what about the money

dozy
03-Apr-06, 10:59
It's all about HOPE and TRUST . I HOPE someone needy WILL benefit from this item that i given .????? I TRUST that the people running it are TRUSTWORTH.???
We would all like to think that Homeaid are putting others first and not themselves. If the Manager and paid staff were on the minimum wage of £5-6.00 an hour would they still be there .
After all its a Charity ,but for the benefit of whom is what people are asking ...... Easy question ...not so Easy answer ??????.
Many Charities do Great Work and i wish them well ..

squidge
03-Apr-06, 12:22
there is a stats page on their website and there are details of how you get to be helped by Homeaid. Im sure htey must produce comprehensive accounts too. There may be sliding scales of help and some items may be free and some may have to be paid for. Why dont you ask them if you want to know more

dozy
03-Apr-06, 12:51
For all those are not sure about Homeaid ,sell your items on Caithness.Org and give the money to the Charity of Choice . THE END .............P.S please state the sale is for charity .

mama2
03-Apr-06, 19:46
I myself would never deal with homeaid again. I foned them once to donate a 3 piece leather suite which belonged to a relative that was only about 3 years old and they told me they would not take it as it had slight and I mean slight sagging in one of the armchairs. Other than that the suite was in great condition. I was disgusted by their attitude and ended up giving it away a few weeks later to a friend of a work colleague, who I've since heard is delighted with it. I'm sure there are many who would have been delighted to get the chance of a suite in that condition. I would have taken it myself if I had needed a new one at the time. [mad] [mad] [mad]

moose and Lindsay
04-Apr-06, 12:35
For all those are not sure about Homeaid ,sell your items on Caithness.Org and give the money to the Charity of Choice . THE END .............P.S please state the sale is for charity .

That is a really good idea!!:o)

funkiedunkie
06-Apr-06, 13:58
charity shops are ther to help the needy. you should all remember beggers can be choosers.

nancypotter45
06-Apr-06, 14:16
charity shops are ther to help the needy. you should all remember beggers can be choosers.

Sorry maybe it's just me but I thought the saying was 'beggars can't be choosers'.

jay
06-Apr-06, 16:20
Sorry maybe it's just me but I thought the saying was 'beggars can't be choosers'.

given the amount of stories we've heard here about goods being rejected - I think on this occasion, the original posting sounds about right!

squidge
06-Apr-06, 17:10
I think suggesting that anyone who needs the services of Homeaid is a "beggar" is a bit insulting to be honest. There but for the grace of god and all that :confused

obiron
06-Apr-06, 17:13
starting a home is really expensive and if there is a place where you can get good stuff at a reasonable price. you will take it. you can always save up and replace it yourself when funds are available.

jay
07-Apr-06, 19:34
I think suggesting that anyone who needs the services of Homeaid is a "beggar" is a bit insulting to be honest. There but for the grace of god and all that :confused

I think the "beggar" being referred to in this case was the charity - not genuine people in need of help

dozy
10-Apr-06, 09:35
If you where up at Homeaid (Ormlie Branch) this weekend all you would see is a Speedy skip full of washing machines and cookers .Well at least Speedy will get them recycled. Matbe we should change the Council line on waste from Reduce,Reuse,Recycle . to Reduce,Reuse ,Repair,Recycle.....ah well time for tea .

janette
16-May-06, 12:27
Did any see in the P & J yesterday, that 2 consignments of furniture have been sent to the US.

Victor Vendetta
16-May-06, 19:21
I can't imagine anyone in Wick paying £50 for a £5 computer they're tighter than 2 coats of paint down there.

Stand back and wait for a bite!

2little2late
16-May-06, 21:40
Did any see in the P & J yesterday, that 2 consignments of furniture have been sent to the US.

Yes, I read it and it stated that the £1,530 profit from the movements was used to boost the coffers of the 10 year old charity. If Homeaid have made £1,530 profit from this, then what are they doing with this money?, what is it being used for?. I wonder if the charities commision would be able to tell us where the monies go.

connieb19
16-May-06, 21:46
Yes, I read it and it stated that the £1,530 profit from the movements was used to boost the coffers of the 10 year old charity. If Homeaid have made £1,530 profit from this, then what are they doing with this money?, what is it being used for?. I wonder if the charities commision would be able to tell us where the monies go.They also said in the Groat, that they were tryng to set the record straight after references were made about the US connection n the Caithness.org website. I must have missed these posts..:confused

squeezy
17-May-06, 11:46
I'm sitting poised for the outcry over their successfull application for £20,000 from CASE.

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=218

It seems there are real concerns about how this charity is operating, is there any details on what the grant is for?

mareng
18-May-06, 21:33

A good idea, it has to be said. I suppose to most people - the attraction of Homeaid is that you get the redundant item uplifted generally when you want.

A lot of people can't be bothered with folk coming round to poke and kick the stuff, then ask if you can deliver it?!?!?!