PDA

View Full Version : buying alcohol

bluemafia
28-Aug-09, 15:16
did anyone know that from sept 1,it is illegal for supermarkets to sell alcohol before 10 o'clock in the morning!(probably little corner shops too!)

unicorn
28-Aug-09, 15:28
I'm never desperate enough for this to be a problem, thankfully.

Cattach
28-Aug-09, 16:12
did anyone know that from sept 1,it is illegal for supermarkets to sell alcohol before 10 o'clock in the morning!(probably little corner shops too!)

This is actually an extention of the hours as it 12 or 12.30 before so some folk can now get a bottle on their way home from their Saturday night out!!!

Fantoosh
28-Aug-09, 16:36
Yeah its from ten in the morning and they cant sell after ten at night now too, same on Sundays

Vistravi
28-Aug-09, 19:22
It was 8am during the week and 12:30 on sundays.

I've never had to buy that early before but i suppose making it 10 to 10 every day is handy for the people who are in for a bottle of wine in the morning for dinner that night or to get a bottle for a friend as a gift.

golach
28-Aug-09, 19:23
Nothing dafter than here in Edinburgh, was a Barman for many years, would not be one now

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/No-39same-again39--it39s.5597761.jp

ShelleyCowie
28-Aug-09, 19:37
Eh! Who buys alcohol at that time of the morning!

I dont really enjoy drinking alcohol. But hey ho!

Mr P Cannop
28-Aug-09, 19:40
does any one have a copy of the new laws ??

Rheghead
28-Aug-09, 20:00
Buying alcohol will also be legal at 10am on a Sunday instead of 12.30pm.

Rheghead
28-Aug-09, 20:02

Someone on nightshift?:confused

Blondie
28-Aug-09, 20:14

People that do their shopping first thing in the morning perhaps!

shamrock2007
28-Aug-09, 20:26
I have to say that the only time that that would be a problem would be when your doing your xmas shopping and go early in the morning to get home early!

Mr P Cannop
28-Aug-09, 22:32

can any one help with this ?? or even pm or email me a copy ??

grumpy1
28-Aug-09, 22:34
This is actually an extention of the hours as it 12 or 12.30 before so some folk can now get a bottle on their way home from their Saturday night out!!!

up to now it depended on the type of licencing hours granted....it varies for different establishments

grumpy1
28-Aug-09, 22:37

if u ask your boss in the coop they should be able to tell u.....bercause anyone who works in a place where alcohol is sold should have gone through the training to enable this....without it you cant sell it.

balto
28-Aug-09, 22:47
if u ask your boss in the coop they should be able to tell u.....bercause anyone who works in a place where alcohol is sold should have gone through the training to enable this....without it you cant sell it.
oh i know we had our training last week and a right grumpy person did it to lol, just never did get why they picked on the poor gingerbread man lol.[lol]

jekyll n hyde
28-Aug-09, 22:52
Buying alcohol will also be legal at 10am on a Sunday instead of 12.30pm.
this information is incorrect our council has decided to keep the law the same on sundays it will still be only available to buy from 12.30pm, i know this as have refresher training in the licensing laws due to the change in the on the 1st september.

ShelleyCowie
28-Aug-09, 23:04
Someone on nightshift?:confused

People that do their shopping first thing in the morning perhaps!

Fairplay, point taken! Never thought of situations like that :D

cullpacket
28-Aug-09, 23:55
You Orgers need to get off the computer and go for a taste the Grove is open at 9 every morning why wait to night time to have a dram?

redeyedtreefrog
29-Aug-09, 00:06
Why is it that you can't buy alcohol before half 12 on Sundays? What if someone fancies a barbie and forgot the Strongbow?

scorrie
29-Aug-09, 00:47
Why is it that you can't buy alcohol before half 12 on Sundays? What if someone fancies a barbie and forgot the Strongbow?

Because it might prevent you from going to church!!

Here are some sobering figures from The Independent Online:-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Record numbers of children are in treatment for alcohol abuse.

An investigation by The Independent on Sunday has discovered that children as young as 10 are spending up to three years in treatment.

The number of under-18s in alcohol treatment programmes has soared by 40 per cent, from 4,781 in 2006 to 6,707 in 2007

thousands of youngsters continue to be admitted to hospital each year for serious illnesses usually expected in ageing alcoholics.

"This is the tip of the iceberg. There are more than 800,000 children below the age of 15 drinking regularly in the UK," said Frank Soodeen from Alcohol Concern

In 2003/04, a total of £217m was being invested in alcohol treatment and 63,000 people were receiving treatment for alcohol-related disorders. But this is a tiny fraction of the million alcoholics in Britain, not to mention more than eight million people who drink above sensible levels."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
There may well be nine million bicycles in Beijing but there are a million alkies in Britain.

Ah well, as they used to say in Chewin The Fat:-

"It's never too early for a Fusilier!!"

redeyedtreefrog
29-Aug-09, 01:03
Here are some sobering figures from The Independent Online:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pun intended?

_Ju_
29-Aug-09, 08:44
Well yes, Scotland, Uk, children are drinking and it is a problem. However changing the times at which alcohol is sold will do nothing to change the habits of a problem drinker, who will just accordingly adjust the time at which he/she buys the booze.
What it will do, as happened to me so many times, is irritate the ordinary shopper who decides they want a nice merlot with the roast chicken they are making for dinner that night, only to find out they will have to do without or come back to the supermarket later.:)

scorrie
29-Aug-09, 11:51
Well yes, Scotland, Uk, children are drinking and it is a problem. However changing the times at which alcohol is sold will do nothing to change the habits of a problem drinker, who will just accordingly adjust the time at which he/she buys the booze.
What it will do, as happened to me so many times, is irritate the ordinary shopper who decides they want a nice merlot with the roast chicken they are making for dinner that night, only to find out they will have to do without or come back to the supermarket later.:)

That is my point. Farting around with times is not addressing the fact that a tin of strong cider is cheaper than a tin of Fanta, which is very convenient for under 15's looking to get out of their tree.

golach
29-Aug-09, 11:54

Tut Tut Ju, Merlot with chicken:eek: Lamb or Beef surely[lol]

_Ju_
29-Aug-09, 15:22
Tut Tut Ju, Merlot with chicken Lamb or Beef surely

Golach, honey, over here we ain't all poncy about different kinds o' wine. I don' know my merlot from my chianti. I barely care between red, white and rose...... what we order here is LOTS! ;)
Teasing aside, we have a saying in Portugal (some reading this out there, will recognize me from what I just wrote!):
Deus fez a agua, o homem fez o vinho. Respeita a Deus, bebe o vinho!
God made Water, man made wine. Respect God, drink the wine![lol]

Mr P Cannop
29-Aug-09, 15:42

any one got any web sites about this ??

golach
29-Aug-09, 15:56
Golach, honey, over here we ain't all poncy about different kinds o' wine. I don' know my merlot from my chianti. I barely care between red, white and rose...... what we order here is LOTS! ;)
Teasing aside, we have a saying in Portugal (some reading this out there, will recognize me from what I just wrote!):
Deus fez a agua, o homem fez o vinho. Respeita a Deus, bebe o vinho!
God made Water, man made wine. Respect God, drink the wine![lol]

Lol Ju, only joking also, my knowledge of todays wines can be written on the back of a postage stamp. But I do like your Vino Verde especially when cruising up the Guadiana river and feasting on grilled sardines.

Dusty
30-Aug-09, 11:38

Paul, try this.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2005/asp_20050016_en_3#pt3-pb1-l1g19