PDA

View Full Version : Knees-up in Mey Village Hall

weeboyagee
28-Aug-09, 10:34
Forgive me for a couple of days on the General Forum with this, but as you may have read in the Groat today the local Caithness Branch of An Comunn Gaidhealach are hosting a ceilidh / supper-dance in Mey Village Hall tomorrow, Saturday 29th August starting at 7.30pm.

We started hosting ceilidhs in the village halls in Caithness (and just beyond!) a wee while ago to allow folks to hear guest artists from outside the county complimented by local artists inside the county in the lead up to the National Mod which is being held in our county next year, and to give a wee taste of what to expect on a grander scale.

I was speaking to the new manager of the Royal in Thurso the other day and he gave an insight to one of the members of his staff while I was there by saying that the last time he was at a Mod was as a manager in a hotel in Oban the last time it was held there. He remembers that he had to have casual staff who constantly poured the drinks as the staff at the bar serving didn't even have the time to pour, they were that snowed under on the final night!

Anyway - it should be a good time for everyone and you'd all be made really welcome. It's a balance of Scots and Folks songs (in English) as well as a few Gaelic songs, as well as other musical entertainment.

If you're looking for a relaxing night and some light entertainment, please come along and enjoy yourselves. There's a bar, raffle, light supper, dancing etc and we have two cracking guest artists who sing all sorts of songs, not just Gaelic. gleeber - I think that enough of the Melvich Choir will be there to give an impromtu performance - your chance my friend - if you're not doing much else that is!

Chi sinn ann sibh - tha mi'n ḍchas! Hope to see you there!

WBG :cool:

Moira
28-Aug-09, 23:18
I can't make it tomorrow night WBG but I do hope you have a very successful evening. :D

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-09, 23:21
If Weeboyagees buying the rounds Ill be there. :lol:

Moira
28-Aug-09, 23:29
Weeboyagee said nothing of the kind Alice. I guess you will be staying at home, unless I have misread the post. [lol]

golach
28-Aug-09, 23:50
Been till a dance in 'e Mey hall, never been so ill in my life, 'e next day, but seemingly I had a good time, slept all the way home till Scrabster [lol]

Anne x
28-Aug-09, 23:54
I Would be there if I could all the best

gleeber
29-Aug-09, 08:42
If you're looking for a relaxing night and some light entertainment, please come along and enjoy yourselves. There's a bar, raffle, light supper, dancing etc and we have two cracking guest artists who sing all sorts of songs, not just Gaelic. gleeber - I think that enough of the Melvich Choir will be there to give an impromtu performance - your chance my friend - if you're not doing much else that is!

Chi sinn ann sibh - tha mi'n ḍchas! Hope to see you there!

Thanks for the personal invite WBG. I know it will be a good night and even if it was all in Gaelic I would still recommend it to anyone. Considering my invitation list is empty these days it's a shame I cant make it. My daughter has a prior engagement that requires my attention.
Shouldnt this blatant advertising either be relegated to the musical section and the Gaelic movement billed for the price of a regular advert and WBG recieve at least a 10 point infraction for using a foreign language on caithness.org or is there some conspiracy between the owners of caithness.org and the Gaelic movement to indoctrinate whisky fueled young Caithnessians into a false sense of enjoyment? ;)

Alice in Blunderland
29-Aug-09, 13:55
Weeboyagee said nothing of the kind Alice. I guess you will be staying at home, unless I have misread the post. [lol]

You cant blame me for trying............. ;)

If I thought that he was for one minute buying the rounds Id be there. :lol:

weeboyagee
30-Aug-09, 19:51
Shouldnt this blatant advertising either be relegated to the musical section and the Gaelic movement billed for the price of a regular advert and WBG recieve at least a 10 point infraction for using a foreign language on caithness.org or is there some conspiracy between the owners of caithness.org and the Gaelic movement to indoctrinate whisky fueled young Caithnessians into a false sense of enjoyment? ;)
Absolutely - but I'll take the liberty wherever I can get away with it! :D

It was a fabulous night - we had monologue Caithness dialect from Joan Elder and Mary Smith, Gaelic Songs and Scots Songs from the two guest artists (they were tremendous) and songs from local artists from Thurso, Wick, Reay and other places, a cracking band and a fabulous young piper - with a set of accompanied tunes that were a real treat!

That hall was a DREAM to sing in - ALL the singers commented on it - what a tremendous venue, I was amazed at the renovation work there - an absolutely first class venue in the county. Folks came to support the Caithness folks from Fort William and Nairn and with guest artists from Mull and Auldearn - and we even had visitors from London. They all seemed to enjoy themselves - and the we apres-ski ceilidh in the Mey Arms where a few of us stayed the night, was just the finish to the evening!

Huge big thanks to everyone for their support - hoping for even more at the next ceilidhs - and we'll give you another personal invite gleeber biye!

Moira
30-Aug-09, 20:03
Absolutely - but I'll take the liberty wherever I can get away with it! <snip>

You got away with it??!! Well I never!

It sounds like you had a wonderful night WBG so I'm guessing your pesky sister didn't turn up demanding you buy her a drink. ;)

Alice in Blunderland
31-Aug-09, 07:20
No point in turning up.....................the price of petrol is getting so dear these days I thought I would leave him with his pennies so that he can pour petrol in that flash car of his.;)

Anyways I got a sore foot and Im kinda housebound just now not that Weeboyagee has visited me and offered any sympathy. :(