PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Provider

stivagorm
27-Aug-09, 21:45
Hi there, I would be grateful of any recommendations for Broadband Service Providers preferably for the West Gills area, Thurso. I am currently with AOL, they have been ok I suppose but this past while the speeds are........ well I'll refrain from describing it, but lets say, it's not acceptable.

Thanks

Metalattakk
28-Aug-09, 03:00
It depends on what you use your connection for (and how much you use your connection), and how much you're prepared to pay.

Do you use your internet for just basic surfing and email? Or do you hook up a games console and play a lot online? How many PCs are going to be using the connection? Do you download a lot of torrent files - music/movies/apps? Maybe you're running a Linux box and need fairly regular distro updates?

Do you need a high upload speed? Will you be affected by any Fair Use Policies that a prospective supplier might demand you accept?

Are you happy to subscribe to a minimum 12 month contract, even though you have no real idea beforehand how good their service might be?
Without the answers to these questions, I cannot possibly recommend any particular provider. I could, however, heartily recommend the one I am currently more than happy to use, but then my circumstances and needs are most likely far removed from your own.

C'est la vie.

In reality, you need to prioritise what you need from a supplier, and then find the best one that can provide exactly what you want. It shouldn't be too difficult, there are plenty ISPs out there, offering all sorts of packages.