PDA

View Full Version : Potential Incomers

Roger and Kim Dutton
27-Aug-09, 19:35
We are hoping to move up to Caithness when our house sells. We are in Shropshire West Midlands at present. Caithness impressed us in lots of ways when we visited to attend the wedding of two good friends at LatheronWheel / Portland Hotel. 1300 mile round trip, broken at Lockerbie, a long drive but well worth it.

Our interests are in the environment, especially becoming as self sufficient as possible in energy and in food, whilst living in a fair degree of comfort.

We both love animals, and the present count is One Horse (Clydesdale) and two and a half cats, (Two Elderly and one thee and a half weeks old abandoned by a feral cat, probably when he fell and knocked himself out! Hand reared we hope he will survive. One Terrier Dog, long haired Jack Russell. Eight Chickens and two rabbits. One more horse needed, probably Clydesdale gelding to be a companion and ride for Roger, Kim to ride Aimee our Mare. Our old gelding was 35 + and passed two weeks ago.

So a big hello to those already in Caithness and a little biography above to introduce ourselves, to those with similar or complementary interests.

Roger and Kim D:)

balto
27-Aug-09, 19:37
welcome to the org, hope everything goes well for you both. look forward to your posts.

George Brims
27-Aug-09, 19:44
Good luck to you. I myself would recommend you visit in the winter before contemplating a move! However I have been away a long time and have got too used to warmer weather (it's 95F right now where I am!).

balto
27-Aug-09, 20:03
Good luck to you. I myself would recommend you visit in the winter before contemplating a move! However I have been away a long time and have got too used to warmer weather (it's 95F right now where I am!).
go on just rub it in lol.[lol]

ICE ROAD
27-Aug-09, 20:47
Hi Roger & Kim were glad to hear you enjoyed mum's wedding. It was a lovely day.
I'm glad you enjoyed it so much up here & it would be so nice to have you both up here. I will give you a little advice before you make the move, make sure you've got your botty cream at hand, for the long......long........long......................lo ng journey lol he he:lol:

You are making a great decision one that you will never regret.
Hope to see you both soon good luck.

cuthill
27-Aug-09, 20:51
Welcome to the org,we moved here and summer or winter we love it.

George Brims
27-Aug-09, 20:59
go on just rub it in lol.[lol]
Oh I was complaining not boasting! It's horrible. And to cap it all there are several brush fires burning right now so the air is very murky.

lister
27-Aug-09, 21:19
A refreshingly natural and at the most unspoilt place to live you will love it ,and very welcoming.
Good luck with the move.
Although prob 10 degrees colder and prob a bitty more windy to say the least ha ha ,sorry had to tell the truth!!!

summer
27-Aug-09, 21:24
Sorry to hear you lost your gelding.

Sounds like your looking for a wee farm/croft type place - I hope you find the right one, and a new companion for your clydesdale.

Keep us posted!

Rheghead
27-Aug-09, 21:33
Our interests are in the environment, especially becoming as self sufficient as possible in energy and in food, whilst living in a fair degree of comfort.

You've probably got your work cut out then.

Veg and fruit doesn't seem to grow very well because of the wind. A wind turbine may help you but you'll be pushed getting permission to put one up. Solar panels don't work as well as where you already are.

Ground or air source heating is the way to go if you are planning on a new build or complete croft renovation but you'll be living in a caravan for 6 months, and builders that come dutifully are as rare as rocking horse manure.

Best is to get some goats, sheep and other livestock and a large croft etc.

Don't come here if you want the Good life.:)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
27-Aug-09, 21:42
We are hoping to move up to Caithness when our house sells. We are in Shropshire West Midlands at present. Caithness impressed us in lots of ways when we visited to attend the wedding of two good friends at LatheronWheel / Portland Hotel. 1300 mile round trip, broken at Lockerbie, a long drive but well worth it.

We both love animals, and the present count is One Horse (Clydesdale) and two and a half cats, (Two Elderly and one thee and a half weeks old abandoned by a feral cat, probably when he fell and knocked himself out! Hand reared we hope he will survive. One Terrier Dog, long haired Jack Russell. Eight Chickens and two rabbits. One more horse needed, probably Clydesdale gelding to be a companion and ride for Roger, Kim to ride Aimee our Mare. Our old gelding was 35 + and passed two weeks ago.

So a big hello to those already in Caithness and a little biography above to introduce ourselves, to those with similar or complementary interests.

Give me a shout if you are looking for a property up here - we are selling ours - 3 bed modern bungalow.... with stables as part of big 60x30 shed, a paddock , small veggie patch and more ground would be available to rent......

Currently has my two horses on the ground..... who i'm sure you'd like shannon 16 year old irish cob and finn - 4 year old shire x.... also short haired JRT and rough haired collie ;-)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
27-Aug-09, 21:47
ps when you come up you'll get a warm welcome which makes up for the cold weather.... it's the best place to live......

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/MAFGERS/DSC02268.jpg

shazzy
27-Aug-09, 21:51
welcome to the Org!! Good luck with the move,we moved up here from Bath 7 months ago,love it,very friendly and healthy livin.Finding something new to visit and admire every weekend:D

butterfly
27-Aug-09, 22:10
Welcome to the org Roger and Kim,i am sure you will love Caithness and it's nice folks.

sweetpea
27-Aug-09, 22:50

It all sounds very worked out, if you want to move , just move, chance you make;)

crayola
27-Aug-09, 23:21
Welcome to the Org Roger and Kim.

I'm crayola the urban witch. I was born and bred in Thurso but I escaped at the age of 17 and eventually made it to London via other places. I made my living in the big smoke by exhibiting my extremities in the red tops and on the tube and then I started my own business. Like you I headed north via faraway places and I live in the centre of Glasgow now. Also like you I am self sufficient, mainly because I threw out both of my husbands, I have a good job and I'm raising my kids on my own. I love the environment, there's lots of it in the city but you won't find much in Caithness because there aren't many cars and it's cold and windy there.

You'll need to like lost cats and Tesco but not Gaelic signposts or big windmills if you're to fit in here.

For a classy night out I recommend the Tandoori John Rosie with Garlic Sauce at Le Bistro in Thurso.

Alice in Blunderland
27-Aug-09, 23:31
In summer or winter I love it here. The view from my garden in the winter :

http://file048b.bebo.com/12/large/2008/12/28/16/976697048a9733588401l.jpg

This is an ariel photo of the area we live in south of Wick. We are surrounded by some beautiful scenery.

http://file047b.bebo.com/16/large/2008/12/28/16/976697048a9733576874l.jpg

Good luck with the move to Caithness and I'm sure once here you will love it.

Kevin Milkins
28-Aug-09, 00:58
Hi Roger and Kim and welcome to the Org.

Judging by your postcode you will right at home in Wick as Thomas Telford played a very big part in the planning, engineering, and development of this part of the world.

Not related to Cyril by any chance are you Roger?

Aaldtimer
28-Aug-09, 03:37
...."Veg and fruit doesn't seem to grow very well because of the wind"...What nonsense Rheg, in my gardening days I grew all sorts of veg successfully and soft fruit does extremely well with the extra hours of daylight up here!
Roger & Kim , I'm sure you will love it and prosper up here with a positve attitude! Best of luck.:)

riggerboy
28-Aug-09, 07:37
why dont you just stay where you are, we have enough incomers

calm doon i wos only joking, theres plenty room up here for you , we could also do with the fresh meat ," hills have eyes" and all that,

look forward to seeing you

ciderally
28-Aug-09, 12:02
ah come on in and pull up a chair to the fire....welcome you'll love it

poppett
28-Aug-09, 12:33
Welcome to the org.............. hope it won`t be long before we welcome you to your new life in Caithness.

Dog-eared
28-Aug-09, 13:17
Todays weather data - live feed.

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8

scorrie
28-Aug-09, 17:32
[QUOTE=crayola;586279] I made my living in the big smoke by exhibiting my extremities in the red tops and on the tube /QUOTE]

Norks out on the Northern Line then?

tiggertoo
28-Aug-09, 18:30
why not move up to new england, the highlands was cleared before why not do it again :lol:

Tilly Teckel
28-Aug-09, 21:41
We moved up from Wales 7 weeks ago and are loving it so far - good luck with the big move!

kia
28-Aug-09, 22:12
Welcome to you both, hope your move goes well for you,

Whitewater
28-Aug-09, 22:59
Welcome to the Org Roger and Kim.

You'll need to like lost cats and Tesco but not Gaelic signposts or big windmills if you're to fit in here.

For a classy night out I recommend the Tandoori John Rosie with Garlic Sauce at Le Bistro in Thurso.

Nice one crayola, you made me laugh, and your so right!!!!

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-09, 23:19
[QUOTE=crayola;586279] I made my living in the big smoke by exhibiting my extremities in the red tops and on the tube /QUOTE]

Norks out on the Northern Line then?

Oh deary me Scorrie that one had me howling with laughter thanks for that. :lol:

Norks what a word :eek:

scorrie
29-Aug-09, 00:13
[QUOTE=scorrie;586521]

Oh deary me Scorrie that one had me howling with laughter thanks for that. :lol:

Norks what a word :eek:

I am glad someone laughed. Some people seem to be devoid of a sense of humour.

George Brims
29-Aug-09, 00:39
Norks is an Aussie word. I remember Mike Harding telling stories of touring there, and saying he thought it was such an ugly word for such a beautiful body part. This thread has veered far off topic I fear!

scorrie
29-Aug-09, 00:51
This thread has veered far off topic I fear!

That's what happens when people barge in shouting the odds about their Paps.

Is that a better name for them George?

northener
29-Aug-09, 09:56
That's what happens when people barge in shouting the odds about their Paps.

Is that a better name for them George?

If its good enough to use in the name of a local hill, it's good enough fer me.:Razz

Oh...er, Hi, an' all that! Hope you enjoy living here.

And ignore most of the wierdos who inhabit this place.;)