PDA

View Full Version : what do you think.

balto
27-Aug-09, 15:00
This morning my 3 year old was sititng beside me and he was fine, when all of a sudden he started to cry and i askked him what was wrong and he kept saying nothing, he was getting worse when i noticed his mouth had drooped slighley for a few seconds and he was just staring and me or should i say more through me, it was so scary , i wasnt sure what to do, so i phoned his dad was it was really worrying me, but after that he came to, and all he complained about was a itchy leg, none of it makes any sense to me. anyone shed any light on it. he is fine now back to nomal.

Kodiak
27-Aug-09, 15:04
Take him to the Doctor as soon as you can and explain what happened. More than likely nothing to worry about but it would better to get a professional to give you advice.

balto
27-Aug-09, 15:10
cheers , i reckon myself there is nothing to worry about as he bounced back as quick, but just got a fright when it happened.

Ash
27-Aug-09, 15:17
This morning my 3 year old was sititng beside me and he was fine, when all of a sudden he started to cry and i askked him what was wrong and he kept saying nothing, he was getting worse when i noticed his mouth had drooped slighley for a few seconds and he was just staring and me or should i say more through me, it was so scary , i wasnt sure what to do, so i phoned his dad was it was really worrying me, but after that he came to, and all he complained about was a itchy leg, none of it makes any sense to me. anyone shed any light on it. he is fine now back to nomal.

im sorry but i would have taken him to the doctors straight or away or called NHS direct, cant be too careful with children
especially i you felt you had to call your partner

BINBOB
27-Aug-09, 15:19
I would take him to dr.,balto........just to be on the safe side.Let us know how he is.

Ash
27-Aug-09, 15:23
cheers , i reckon myself there is nothing to worry about as he bounced back as quick, but just got a fright when it happened.

hope he is ok
kids can certainly scare us at times

im behind you
27-Aug-09, 16:03
im sorry but i would have taken him to the doctors straight or away or called NHS direct, cant be too careful with children
especially i you felt you had to call your partner
i have to agree there i would not of wasted my time turning my computer to right some thing on here about when i could of been phoning the quack

davem
27-Aug-09, 16:45
If balto had felt the need, the doctor would have been called. Asking for advice when you are not quite sure what to do shouldn't be criticized. Any parent does all they can - the last thing someone needs is to be slated for asking what others think.

highlander
27-Aug-09, 17:04
Balto i would advise you to write everything down, date, time and what happened and how long it lasted for, keep this handy if it ever happens again.

S&LHEN
27-Aug-09, 18:11
Totally agree with Dave.
Balto it sounds like your son had a convulsion, next time this happens take his tempreture and you just might find its running on the high side. With my son this was a regular occurance right up intil he was 6 and it totally scared the life out of me but the doctors said it was quite normal when they get high tempretures. thankfully hes grown out of them not had one for years:D

If balto had felt the need, the doctor would have been called. Asking for advice when you are not quite sure what to do shouldn't be criticized. Any parent does all they can - the last thing someone needs is to be slated for asking what others think.

balto
27-Aug-09, 18:53
i have to agree there i would not of wasted my time turning my computer to right some thing on here about when i could of been phoning the quack
he came pout of it as quick as he went into it, by the time i had got him to the docs he would have been fine, believe you me if ui thought it was an emergancy i definatly would have taken him, and the only reason i asked on here, must i say hours after it happened, was if anyone else had come across it. i for one dont believe in wasting doctors time as the nhs is stretched enough without time wasters.

thankyou to everyone else for your help.

kia
27-Aug-09, 19:14
Totally agree with Dave.
Balto it sounds like your son had a convulsion, next time this happens take his tempreture and you just might find its running on the high side. With my son this was a regular occurance right up intil he was 6 and it totally scared the life out of me but the doctors said it was quite normal when they get high tempretures. thankfully hes grown out of them not had one for years:D

Totally agree, My son had fever fits aswell and I thought he was perfectly healthy, not to scare you but next time def call Drs straight away, My son was in a convulsion for 45 minutes and ended up being airlifted to Raigmore he was in hossie for 2 weeks and it was due to him being too hot after running about with his friends in the garden NOT a hot day either.. Keep Calpol handy too... Hope he is feelin better its the worst thing ever seeing them ill like that..

balto
27-Aug-09, 19:35
my eldest daughter started to take fits where her arms would go ridgid, and she would collapse not breathing, and when this happened we phoned the ambulance who would take her to wick, but on the occasions it happened she was back to normal by the time the ambulance came, for her it turned out she has a small hole in her heart, but the way the wee man went today wasnt anything as sever as that, but i am going to book him in to the docs jus for a checkup, just to be on the safe side.

miller30
27-Aug-09, 20:54
hope your wee man is ok, and let us know how you get on at the doc's thats the worst when they are little and cant really explain to you what is going on with them. But you should make a wee mark on your calender just incase it happens again, my little girl is terrible with sore throats the whole time, so have started jotting it down, so i can look back and see how frequent it is happening.

children honestly they have us on our toes eh!!

hope everything goes fine.

Vistravi
27-Aug-09, 21:10
One of my friend's nephews had something similar when he was running a high temp when he was about 2. docs told mum it was convulsion due to high temp.
Best wait to see what docs say balto, better safe than sorry.;)

Fly
27-Aug-09, 22:49
he came pout of it as quick as he went into it, by the time i had got him to the docs he would have been fine, believe you me if ui thought it was an emergancy i definatly would have taken him, and the only reason i asked on here, must i say hours after it happened, was if anyone else had come across it. i for one dont believe in wasting doctors time as the nhs is stretched enough without time wasters.

thankyou to everyone else for your help.

Where children are concerned you are not wasting doctor's time. That is what they are there for.
Hope he is OK.

poppett
28-Aug-09, 12:41
My OH has suffered fever fits post operatively, and they can be scarey. Good thing is he never remembers having them, or how frightened they made me before I understood the vacant look, shivering whilst fevered, and the tiredness afterwards. We now have standby anti-biotics as if left untreated his leg swells with cellulitis and is hard to treat.

Rheghead
28-Aug-09, 13:20
I had an ex mother-in-law who exhibited similiar symptoms as that, it was petit mal epilepsy and it was easily cured by tablets. But it took months to convince her that she had something wrong with her as she couldn't remember anything. Not all that uncommon either.

balto
28-Aug-09, 14:37
Where children are concerned you are not wasting doctor's time. That is what they are there for.
Hope he is OK.
aye and when i got him there he was fine, so what could the doctor do, as a lot of these turns need to be witnessed by the doctor before they can get any idea of what it was.

unicorn
28-Aug-09, 14:41
Although he was fine after the doctor may recognise the symptoms you have described and either get it further examined or set your mind at ease there and then.

cuddlepop
28-Aug-09, 17:32
get him checked out asap I seem to remember a neighbours child done this when they were wee,this was years ago.

They were eventually told the child had experienced a silent fit.which later went on to become epilepsey.:(

Tilly Teckel
28-Aug-09, 21:45
It may be the furthest thing from your mind at the time, but if it happens again, maybe you could try to video it (on a mobile phone, if you have one that does videos)? Then you could show it to the doc and it would have date, duration etc on there...

May be a daft idea but couldn't hurt?

balto
28-Aug-09, 22:01
It may be the furthest thing from your mind at the time, but if it happens again, maybe you could try to video it (on a mobile phone, if you have one that does videos)? Then you could show it to the doc and it would have date, duration etc on there...

May be a daft idea but couldn't hurt?
now there is an idea, thankyou xx

Tilly Teckel
29-Aug-09, 01:40
No problem - hope the little one is well. I know how worried I get if my son seems unwell.

Fran
29-Aug-09, 01:57
I dont think this was a fit at all, as you dont describe him shaking in any way. You also state his leg was itchy. Plus, more worrying, his mouth drooped. I would suggest you take him up to the hospital for a scan to a and e, even though it was a few days ago that this happened.

Aaldtimer
29-Aug-09, 03:08
Fran, I don't think they do scans on demand. Quite a procedure to go through for one of them, and probably a long waiting list.:~(

Ricco
29-Aug-09, 09:01
Totally agree with Dave.

Obviously do not use a glass thermometer as he may bite through it in his convulsion.

cuddlepop
29-Aug-09, 09:23
I dont think this was a fit at all, as you dont describe him shaking in any way. You also state his leg was itchy. Plus, more worrying, his mouth drooped. I would suggest you take him up to the hospital for a scan to a and e, even though it was a few days ago that this happened.

wee ones to have to "shake about" to have a fit,what can happen is they can appear to go into a trance like state.:confused

Hope you get to the bottom of this Balto asap as I'm sure its very scarey.

BINBOB
29-Aug-09, 10:52

With petit mal,there is no shaking...just a vacant look for minutes,then back to normal .;)

highlander
29-Aug-09, 11:15
IF and i mean if it was a seizure you would find that the child was very tired afterwards and want to sleep, like i said earlier the best thing to do is, you write everything down because if the dr does suspect it was a seizure they would look for a pattern of when it happened, what the child was doing, if the bairn had a temp or was ill.

Fran
30-Aug-09, 00:41
Fran, I don't think they do scans on demand. Quite a procedure to go through for one of them, and probably a long waiting list.:~(
No waiting lists for an emergency, scans can be done straight away, that is the whole point of a ct scanner, it shows up everything, and is very good in emergencies.

Aaldtimer
30-Aug-09, 03:04
No waiting lists for an emergency, scans can be done straight away, that is the whole point of a ct scanner, it shows up everything, and is very good in emergencies.

Mmmm, interesting. I very much doubt though that the skilled personnel needed to carry them out, and interpret them, are available 24/7. :confused

oldmarine
30-Aug-09, 06:11

It is difficult for young children at that age to tell you what their problem truly is. They are not really sure themselves. All they know is they don't feel well and the natural tendency is to cry. At least he snapped out of it and got better.

Fran
30-Aug-09, 22:39
Mmmm, interesting. I very much doubt though that the skilled personnel needed to carry them out, and interpret them, are available 24/7. :confused

They are called in, same for x-ray staff for an emergency, there is also a video link to raigmore.

Beat Bug
31-Aug-09, 16:30
I hope your wee lad is over his ordeal. It must have been frightening for him. As a trained first aider, what you described sounds like a mild epileptic fit. Get him checked out by the doctor, who should advise what to do should it happen again.

miss happy
04-Sep-09, 16:34
I hope everything goes ok and your little boy is on the mend it is horrible when something like that happens.

balto
04-Sep-09, 18:39
thankyou everyone for your kind advice, he went for his checkup the other day and there is a possiability it is petie mal? im sorry if i've spelt it wrong.. just need to get a proper diagnosies.

BINBOB
05-Sep-09, 11:20
Sorry to hear that ,balto...that is what it sounded like to me.Really hope he will be fine..........never mind about spelling.Please let us know how he gets on.Take care.

Tilly Teckel
05-Sep-09, 16:25
Keep your chin up and stay positive - at least it's being looked into now and he can get any treatment he my need. Thinking of you both x

cuddlepop
05-Sep-09, 18:06
thankyou everyone for your kind advice, he went for his checkup the other day and there is a possiability it is petie mal? im sorry if i've spelt it wrong.. just need to get a proper diagnosies.

At least now you know what it is something can be done about it.
Its alwas scarey when docs stick a label on something our kids have got but at least from there you've something to go on.

Remember we're all here for you.:)