PDA

View Full Version : Memorium

Tighsonas4
26-Aug-09, 20:16
at long last a memorial service and a memorial plaque was set up in lyness orkney to all those who lost their lives in the freezing artic conditions while doing convoy duty to russia during the last war
believe a russian delegation was also present tony

Whitewater
26-Aug-09, 21:13
It was a very tough run for the merchant ships, apart from the weather, knocking ice of the rigging etc. they also had the U boats to comply with. My father used to sail regularly to Murmansk in northern Russia, he was torpedoed a couple of times, his younger brother was also on the same run, he was torpedoed 3 times, both survived. After the war my father ended up as chief engineer on the St Ninian, his brother chief engineer on the local P&O ferries. Both were very quiet heros. It is nice to see that the bravery of the merchant men is at last being recognised.

Tighsonas4
26-Aug-09, 21:54
yes soo true and it was all done very hush hush but you could tell when half the home fleet weighed anchor in orkney that a rendevous had been arranged, un sung heros tony

Anne x
26-Aug-09, 22:00
Coast programme aired last night on bbc2 at 8pm told a very similar story but between shetland and norway very interesting and very sad

seadog
26-Aug-09, 22:07
There was a bosun on the first ro/ro Ola who was washed overboard on the convoys but was picked up and lived to tell the tale. Unsung hero.;)

golach
26-Aug-09, 22:12
I have a couple of Shipmates in the City of Edinbugh Branch of the Royal Naval Association, who served on the Russian Convoys, they can tell some tales.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignsRussianConvoys.htm