View Full Version : jobs

K dragon
26-Aug-09, 18:48
i posted a previous post about how difficult it was to get a job around here,

how did everyone do?

im still unemployed and unemployable,

cuddlepop
26-Aug-09, 19:14
I cant comment on the jobs situation in caithness but its easier to find a job if you keep in circulation.
I know you have to inform job center if your doing voluntary work but its what will get you noticed and look good on your CV.
Go back to college,do anything to get you noticed.:)

Your not unemployable its just know one realises your potential just now,well thats what I'm telling myself and I havent worked since 2007.:eek:

Something will come up.

Connor.
26-Aug-09, 19:17
I posted one a while back aswell about IT jobs, i'm still unemployed unfortunately.

Vistravi
26-Aug-09, 19:20
i posted a previous post about how difficult it was to get a job around here,

how did everyone do?

im still unemployed and unemployable,

I moved to inverness to get a job. Don't have a glimmer of hope of getting a full time nursery job in caithness.

The only jobs that are going atm are dead end ones, there don't seem to be any you can make a career out of. Am i the only one thinking that?:confused

cuddlepop
26-Aug-09, 19:20
I posted one a while back aswell about IT jobs, i'm still unemployed unfortunately.

Our learning center here advertises for people to help students learn IT skills some posts are paid some are voluntary.
You could contact Thurso college and see if they do similar.:)

cuddlepop
26-Aug-09, 19:24
I moved to inverness to get a job. Don't have a glimmer of hope of getting a full time nursery job in caithness.

The only jobs that are going atm are dead end ones, there don't seem to be any you can make a career out of. Am i the only one thinking that?:confused

Dont say that, my daughter just finished her HNC in Early Education and Childcare.She decided to carry on a do her degree though as management jobs in that sector are telling their excisting employees to do it.

Au pair America is another obtion she was looking at.
You foot loose and fancy free because it looks amazing.:D

Ash
26-Aug-09, 19:33
I knew my daughter was going into P1 so past 4months been looking for a job, trying to fit it around the school hours, as my partner works shifts which rotate each week so cannot rely on his days off for me to work,and parents work full time, but there is nothing, getting fed up

Ash
26-Aug-09, 19:37

why is this being reposted again?

Vistravi
26-Aug-09, 19:46
accidentally double posted :roll:
trying to delete lol

Vistravi
26-Aug-09, 19:54
Dont say that, my daughter just finished her HNC in Early Education and Childcare.She decided to carry on a do her degree though as management jobs in that sector are telling their excisting employees to do it.

Au pair America is another obtion she was looking at.
You foot loose and fancy free because it looks amazing.

I've gone down the svq route. Doing my svq 4 in a year or two.

The problem for me i found is that nurseries in caithness really only opened for morning and some for afternoon as well. the nursery i work in is open from 8 to 6. Hence where i went for full time work.

I found we all got less hours in the summer hols due to some kids being away with parents on hols. Made up my hours by babysitting instead ;)

When theres a wil theres a way....;)

Good luck to your daughter on her degree. Hope she does you proud.

Rampant Rabbit
26-Aug-09, 19:54
Start up on your own doing something there is work to be had in caithness.I know of 2 firms that have started up here doing the same line as i am in and yes they have went behind my back and try take my work but have not got any.don.t wait for a knock on the door it won.t come

rs 2k
26-Aug-09, 19:57
I have been looking for job for over a year now and nothing,

I have had 2 interviews at BT (1 every 6 months) and no didn't fit their critera,both times, what are they looking for, coz when i was there i thought god knows how some of the people here got a job [lol]

But today i got a letter offering me an interview, so i am keeping everything crossed [lol] its on monday just for a cleaner, but its a job and i really need it

BINBOB
26-Aug-09, 20:07

I have had 2 interviews at BT (1 every 6 months) and no didn't fit their critera,both times, what are they looking for, coz when i was there i thought god knows how some of the people here got a job [lol]

But today i got a letter offering me an interview, so i am keeping everything crossed [lol] its on monday just for a cleaner, but its a job and i really need it

Good Luck...;)

lister
26-Aug-09, 20:20
Its a real shame that people can't find work when they want to further themselves in life cos as everyone knows we need money to live and also to feel you're worth and pride in the community.

On another vein in this thread the outright fact for some (absolutely not all by da way)that in some cases its no qualifications or attitude or experience but simply just jobs for the boys and the backdoor route that seems to prevail in Caithness or though i suspect all over really.
That's the real shame!!:(

EDDIE
26-Aug-09, 20:38

Caithness is a nice place to live providing u have a job and its not the kind of place were u can chop and change jobs and if u lose ure job its not easy to get another job with the same payscale u are looking for unfortanatley if u want to work sometimes moving away is the only awnser

rs 2k
26-Aug-09, 20:54
Good Luck...;)

Thanx Binbob :)

Gizmo
26-Aug-09, 21:14
Yeah, still out of work with nothing on the horizon, i haven't even found a single suitable job to apply for all year, so i've just been concentrating on doing computer courses through the Wick & Thurso College, with my personal circumstances the way they are, the only hope i have of finding suitable work is complete re-training, and the worst thing is that because i left school without sitting my final exams, i have to start at the very bottom and prove myself to the College before i can get on to a really good course that i'm more than capable of doing in the first place, all in good time though.

I managed to stay in work for 19 out of the last 22 years, but even all those times that i was working, i still kept my eye on the job market, and there was generally plenty of work out there, but nowadays there's absolutely diddly squat, i don't remember things ever being as bleak as they are just now, it's all very depressing.

neepnipper
26-Aug-09, 21:18
When you go on the job centre website and search for any job, don't specify type of job, hours etc about eight come up, most other places there are pages and pages of jobs.

Serenity
26-Aug-09, 21:52
I lost my job a couple of months back. I have applied for every job going. The only feedback I have had was "we have had a lot of interest so we might not be able to get back to you". This was when I applied for a dishwasher's job. I remember a few years ago when I wanted a job I went around all the hotels and shops and got like 4 job offers in a couple of weeks (being the naive idiot I was I took the first one but never mind). Anyway things are different now. I am not qualified to do a lot of the jobs offered and the rest are unskilled, which due to my academic qualifications my applications probably get thrown straight in the "no" pile as being "over-qualified". So I am kinda stuck in no man's land. I just want ANY job. I am a hard worker and can't stand not working. But there just aren't the vacancies just now.
As I said I apply for EVERYONE that comes up.
Anyway rant over, and yes neepnipper I agree, I am checking the job centre website and not only are there only about 8 local jobs but they have all been up for weeks. I have applied for all the ones I am qualified enough for and not heard back so I guess they are filled but not removed.
BTW I have worked since I was 16 without stopping (except for education etc.) until now so it is not like I am a slacker.

gunnlass
26-Aug-09, 22:01
I noticed Semi chem has three part time positions advertised in their Thurso shop window and Regency has a part time position advertised in their window, I know these probably won't help you but somebody who reads this thread might be interested.

newpark
26-Aug-09, 22:41
serendipty is also looking for a part time sales person

Bazeye
27-Aug-09, 00:14
Whats the job situation for electricians in Thurso. Not at this precise moment but in general?

oldmarine
27-Aug-09, 05:21
I believe the employment situation is not good all over the world. I surely hope it improves for all that needs employment to survive. I'm thankful that I'm retired, but wonder how long my retirement income will hold up.

ter21wat
27-Aug-09, 09:41
I've gone down the svq route. Doing my svq 4 in a year or two.

The problem for me i found is that nurseries in caithness really only opened for morning and some for afternoon as well. the nursery i work in is open from 8 to 6. Hence where i went for full time work.

I found we all got less hours in the summer hols due to some kids being away with parents on hols. Made up my hours by babysitting instead ;)

When theres a wil theres a way....;)

Good luck to your daughter on her degree. Hope she does you proud.

A friend and I were talking about this the other day - we feel what Thurso is really lacking is a creche type facility for younger childeren, ie, pre nursary, toddlers, that is open all day, all year, that provides day care and maybe a drop off facility that can be used when parents need time off for shopping etc. Child minders are the only option for working parents with toddlers at the moment.

If you have the qualifications in child care you could approach CASE regarding starting up your own business like this - theres no competition! I think a facility like this should also receive funding/backing from goverment or local council as it would make it easier for parents to get back to work.

Vistravi
27-Aug-09, 21:08
A friend and I were talking about this the other day - we feel what Thurso is really lacking is a creche type facility for younger childeren, ie, pre nursary, toddlers, that is open all day, all year, that provides day care and maybe a drop off facility that can be used when parents need time off for shopping etc. Child minders are the only option for working parents with toddlers at the moment.

If you have the qualifications in child care you could approach CASE regarding starting up your own business like this - theres no competition! I think a facility like this should also receive funding/backing from goverment or local council as it would make it easier for parents to get back to work.

Aye it does need this to help working parents.

When i am 30 i want to be building or buying a building to set up my own nursery. I feel i need to be manager of another nursery first before stepping up and becoming manager and owner of my own. I'm only 21 so got 9 years to move around the different nurseries all over the uk to gain my expereince.

So you never know in 9 years time i may just be setting up my own nursery in thurso ;) I'm not sure as to where i would set it up yet. I'm sure when i live in the town/city/village i want to live in for many years that is where it will go.

sweetpea
27-Aug-09, 23:15
I fell into every job I've had, never had a CV, had weird interviews:eek: but I'm glad I'm doing stuff I enjoy, makes all the difference. It ain't ideal but it's the best I can make it right now. In an ideal world I'd retitre when I hit 40 and do frivolous things, [lol]

crayola
27-Aug-09, 23:24

Good grief, how do working mums manage without a full time creche? Are there lots of childminders to make up for it?

sharona
28-Aug-09, 12:44
yes sqame ere set up work for mi self and some takes up doin same job wot do you do

the_big_mac
28-Aug-09, 12:56
yes sqame ere set up work for mi self and some takes up doin same job wot do you do

Learning basic grammer might help.

ShelleyCowie
28-Aug-09, 13:05
Im leaving my job in 2 weeks! :~( Dont want to tho but have too.

oldmarine
28-Aug-09, 14:28

I believe you are on to something important here. There is a great need for child care workers. Working parents have a great need for something like this.

rs 2k
04-Sep-09, 17:20

Never got the job, GUTTED :mad:

upolian
04-Sep-09, 17:27
yes it is definately difficult to get a job up here,im juggling 2 at the moment:( hopefully in a few months ill be working for myself doing 1 job full time :)