PDA

View Full Version : Same Scam Different Package

Kevin Milkins
25-Aug-09, 10:45
I see the much debated SHC collections scam is back with us ,but in a different package, (literally) .

They must have run out of there little yellow flyers (complete with spelling mistakes) and opted for a more sophisticated approach, by posting a bag through the door with the relevant collection day and info printed on the outer.

Although most of us are aware of this dishonest trading method and I don’t see any bags put out for them this morning, they must be doing OK for themselves to be able to travel from London and take the goods back there for sorting.

Gizmo
25-Aug-09, 11:16
It's not really a scam, the packaging doesn't say that they are a charity, it provides their registered company number, and says they provide clothing to people in third world countries at the price they can afford, so it clearly defines that they are a business who will sell any donations given, Yes!...what they are doing is pretty shady, as a fleeting glance at the packaging gives the impression that they may be a charity, and there will be plenty of people who will assume just that, but a scam?...no, as the packaging does state who they are and what they do.

Julia
25-Aug-09, 11:21
There are loads of bags round my way awaiting collection, some doorsteps have more than one bag!

I read the bag and assumed it was a charity, did not realise they would be selling clothes on, I did fill my bag but will give it to a local charity shop instead.

Mr P Cannop
25-Aug-09, 11:25
the bags will never be picked up

butterfly
25-Aug-09, 13:05
the bags will never be picked up

Why not?:confused

greenasiamcabbagelooking
25-Aug-09, 14:05
because they never picked the bags up the last time they pulled the scam.

there's lots of info online about this latest con

my advice would be to donate to local or recognised charities if you have any unwanted clothes/items.

telfordstar
25-Aug-09, 14:16
Im up in poltney and say the guys collect all the bags that were out this morn. so in this instance they have picked up!

Mr P Cannop
25-Aug-09, 14:40
Why not?:confused

becasue its a scam

Kevin Milkins
25-Aug-09, 15:24
becasue its a scam

I agree it’s a scam,(and that’s just a matter of opinion though), but I fail to see how not picking them up would constitute part of the cunning plan.

butterfly
25-Aug-09, 15:30
I fail to see how not picking them up would constitute part of the cunning plan.

Aye Kevin,that's exactly what i was thinking!

Gizmo
25-Aug-09, 15:35
becasue its a scam

Answer me this, how can it be a scam if it clearly states on the packaging that they are a company that provides people in third world countries with clothes they can afford?, to be a scam there would have to be some kind of mis-information printed on the packaging or leaflet, which there isn't, there is NOTHING on these bags/leaflets that gives any indication that SHC Collections is anything other than a company looking for donated clothes to sell.

So before you all grab the pitchforks lanterns and noose and go baying for blood, perhaps you should all READ the leaflet properly, then throw it in the bin.

Mr P Cannop
25-Aug-09, 15:59
they never pick the bags up

butterfly
25-Aug-09, 16:00
Nah,dont throw it away,i used the bag for lining my kitchen bin!

Gizmo
25-Aug-09, 16:05
they never pick the bags up

And how exactly does that constitute a scam?. If they don't pick up the bags they haven't scammed you out of anything, so if that's your logical thinking, then the best you could label it, is a completely pointless practical joke, certainly not a scam.

Kevin Milkins
25-Aug-09, 16:16
Gizmo, it’s not what they have put on the leaflet that makes them a scam outfit but what happens to the goods after it has been collected.

This company has been investigated many times and in many different parts of the country and if you google SHC collections you will hit many forums discussing there activates.

The way the flyer is worded is itself slightly misleading and would leave many people to believe that donations are going straight to needy people in the third world.

On one forum a lady found some clothes that she donated for sale on a second hand clothes stall in Pontypool market.

scorrie
25-Aug-09, 16:22
From the North Star, this guy is the man who should know what he is on about regarding SHC collections:-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bob Jones, Highland Council's principal trading standards officer, who was made aware of the leaflet from a worried member of the public, also expressed concerns.

He said: "I would not recommend people give clothing to this firm. However, they don't claim to be a charity and there is nothing legally that stops them doing clothing collections."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

These companies get away with sailing close to the wind, partly through clever operating methods, and partly because people don't bother to look into who/what they are dealing with. I don't like the way this company goes about its business and I won't give them a sweaty sock. People should be more streetwise though.

Gizmo
25-Aug-09, 17:00
Gizmo, it’s not what they have put on the leaflet that makes them a scam outfit but what happens to the goods after it has been collected.

Possibly, in reality we have no way of knowing what is happening to the donated items, but my points were made in relation to the information provided on the packaging.
But proper regulated charities are sometimes guilty of the same thing, they have, in the past, been caught wasting and mis-managing a massive amount of the money donated to them.

[FONT=Verdana]This company has been investigated many times and in many different parts of the country and if you google SHC collections you will hit many forums discussing there activates.

All the forums i looked at were full of the same type of posts that this thread has, people just not reading and understanding the information provided.

The way the flyer is worded is itself slightly misleading and would leave many people to believe that donations are going straight to needy people in the third world.

Can't agree with that, it clearly says they provide people with clothes they can afford, so i can't see how you could be left with any impression other than that SHC Collections is going to sell your donation.

What they are doing is morally questionable, and they will certainly never get any clothing from myself, but as stated by the Trading Standards official, SHC are not doing anything illegal.

Thumper
27-Aug-09, 14:02
Hmmn I wonder if it was this lot who helped themselves to 3 bags of clothes sitting infront of my garage?It certainly wasnt meant for them,I had set them out infront of the garage to put in my car and take to a charity shop but then having a blonde moment I drove off without the bags :roll: but when I came home they were gone!Not in the SHC bags so they shouldnt really help themselves-then again it may not have been them but I can hardly call the police and report them as stolen either can I :confused: x

_Ju_
27-Aug-09, 14:27
It is a scam in the sense that it deprives real charities of donations they would normally recieve, while many of the people giving the clothes away believe they are giving them to charity. It is very misleading.
On e'bay a couple of years ago a couple were selling pictures of games consoles for a few hundred pounds. The add stated that people were bidding on the picture of the console. Still they were scammers and con artists, both in the mind of their clients and the court that tried them. Even if you clearly state something about what you are selling, if generally percieved by the same public to be something else, you are inducing them in error and conning them.

Gizmo
27-Aug-09, 16:44
It is a scam in the sense that it deprives real charities of donations they would normally recieve, while many of the people giving the clothes away believe they are giving them to charity. It is very misleading.
On e'bay a couple of years ago a couple were selling pictures of games consoles for a few hundred pounds. The add stated that people were bidding on the picture of the console. Still they were scammers and con artists, both in the mind of their clients and the court that tried them. Even if you clearly state something about what you are selling, if generally percieved by the same public to be something else, you are inducing them in error and conning them.

No, you are wrong, all the people calling it a scam are just using it as an excuse to justify their foolishness for not stopping to read the information correctly, it's only misleading to those who don't take the time to read and understand what is told to them, as i have said before, what they are doing is morally questionable, but there is NOTHING misleading printed on their packaging.

Kevin Milkins
27-Aug-09, 17:10
No, you are wrong, all the people calling it a scam are just using it as an excuse to justify their foolishness for not stopping to read the information correctly, it's only misleading to those who don't take the time to read and understand what is told to them, as i have said before, what they are doing is morally questionable, but there is NOTHING misleading printed on their packaging.

My original post was based on a flyer we got through the door some time ago, now this company has changed tactics because they have been met with questions about the way they do buisness.

My original post said "Same Scam Different Package"

The flyer below (in my opinion) sets out to make people believe that it is a charity even if it does not say that, so I would say it is a scam.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Scam.jpg

Gizmo
27-Aug-09, 17:45
My original post was based on a flyer we got through the door some time ago, now this company has changed tactics because they have been met with questions about the way they do buisness.

The flyer below (in my opinion) sets out to make people believe that it is a charity even if it does not say that, so I would say it is a scam.

Yes, at face value, that flyer is slightly misleading, but it still provided the information that they will be selling your donation, so it can't legally be called a scam.
And in reality what SHC are doing is no different to what large companies do with their advertising everyday, how many times have you seen television or newspaper adverts offering deals that are too good to be true?, they tell you enough in the main advert to hook you in, and then the reality of the deal is printed at the bottom of the screen or page...and normally in very small print, SHC are doing exactly the same thing, so why are they being singled out for a lynching?

I just saw an advert on television for one of those magazine series that gives you parts to build a model week by week, it was for a Lancaster Bomber, and the first issue has an offer price of 50p, around halfway through the advert, and for about 3 seconds, some text appeared at the bottom of the screen informing that the series is 125 issues, and briefly at the end of the advert there is text that says each subsquent issue will be priced at £4.99, so your (what looked like) "Balsa" wood Lancaster Bomber model, will in the end, cost you £619.26, do you think that if they had the voice over guy tell you that it would cost that amount, that anyone in their right mind would buy it?...would they eck as like, i see that as no different to what SHC Collections are doing.

Kevin Milkins
27-Aug-09, 18:07
I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one Gizmo as the comparisons you have made are very different. This company (again in my opinion) have deliberately set out to give the impression that they are a charitable organisation that are professional and above reproach.

They operate out of a flat in Essex (allegedly) and I would be surprised if in fact any of the goods make there way out of the UK. It is just a shame that the many people that you say are foolish for not reading and understanding what they are telling us have unwittingly giving away gear that could have gone to a local charity where some real good may be achieved.

Moira
27-Aug-09, 23:41

You are absolutely right Kevin.

This company are seeking to deceive through careful but not clever wording of flyers, bags etc. around the area. That is indeed a scam IMO

crayola
27-Aug-09, 23:48
'If you have unwanted ladies, gents, ......'

I wish they'd been in my area when I was chucking out my last husband.

And they could've helped me 'emtty' his wardrobe before they took him away. :roll:

scorrie
27-Aug-09, 23:55

This company are seeking to deceive through careful but not clever wording of flyers, bags etc. around the area. That is indeed a scam IMO

It cannot be a scam. The Highland Council's chief Trading Standards Officer has stated that it is not illegal and that nothing can be done about it. Nobody is being forced to donate anything. Most people are probably using it as a chance to get rid of things they no longer need. The Council are charging for such a service now and a lot of people are probably glad to be rid of the items for free and don't care where they are going.

If people can't be bothered to read the leaflets and see, which is pretty obvious, that the goods are not being donated, then they really need to hush up about it all being wrong, when the truth is that they never bothered to read the information. I think we now live in a society where it is pretty much universally known that small print exists. Those who continue to avoid reading that small print really need to have words with themselves.

scorrie
27-Aug-09, 23:56

And they could've helped me 'emtty' his wardrobe before they took him away. :roll:

I heard HE threw YOU out!! Typical org, only one side of the story ;)

crayola
28-Aug-09, 00:05

I agree with you Moira. Well, I agree with the spirit of your post, it's as carefully worded as an org post on a bad hair day. :Razz

Moira
28-Aug-09, 00:07
Yes, at face value, that flyer is slightly misleading, but it still provided the information that they will be selling your donation, so it can't legally be called a scam.
And in reality what SHC are doing is no different to what large companies do with their advertising everyday, how many times have you seen television or newspaper adverts offering deals that are too good to be true?, they tell you enough in the main advert to hook you in, and then the reality of the deal is printed at the bottom of the screen or page...and normally in very small print, SHC are doing exactly the same thing, so why are they being singled out for a lynching?

I just saw an advert on television for one of those magazine series that gives you parts to build a model week by week, it was for a Lancaster Bomber, and the first issue has an offer price of 50p, around halfway through the advert, and for about 3 seconds, some text appeared at the bottom of the screen informing that the series is 125 issues, and briefly at the end of the advert there is text that says each subsquent issue will be priced at £4.99, so your (what looked like) "Balsa" wood Lancaster Bomber model, will in the end, cost you £619.26, do you think that if they had the voice over guy tell you that it would cost that amount, that anyone in their right mind would buy it?...would they eck as like, i see that as no different to what SHC Collections are doing.

"so it can't legally be called a scam."

Who mentioned "legally"

"so why are they being singled out for a lynching?"

They are not.

"I just saw an advert on television for one of those magazine series that gives you parts to build a model week by week, <snip>"

Was it headed up "Third World Parts Collection" and did you receive a yellow collection bag through your letterbox at the same time as you were viewing the advert?

I think not. Totally different scenario.

Moira
28-Aug-09, 00:18

Apart from the spelling errors, did you really send him here, to Caithness? ;)

Matthew
28-Aug-09, 04:06
Just donate to your local charity shop instead. That way you know where it is going.

Gizmo
28-Aug-09, 09:18
It cannot be a scam. The Highland Council's chief Trading Standards Officer has stated that it is not illegal and that nothing can be done about it. Nobody is being forced to donate anything. Most people are probably using it as a chance to get rid of things they no longer need. The Council are charging for such a service now and a lot of people are probably glad to be rid of the items for free and don't care where they are going.

If people can't be bothered to read the leaflets and see, which is pretty obvious, that the goods are not being donated, then they really need to hush up about it all being wrong, when the truth is that they never bothered to read the information. I think we now live in a society where it is pretty much universally known that small print exists. Those who continue to avoid reading that small print really need to have words with themselves.

Thank god there's someone else who can form an opinion from the FACTS, rather than emotion.

Gizmo
28-Aug-09, 09:37
"so it can't legally be called a scam."

Who mentioned "legally"

"so why are they being singled out for a lynching?"

They are not.

"I just saw an advert on television for one of those magazine series that gives you parts to build a model week by week, <snip>"

Was it headed up "Third World Parts Collection" and did you receive a yellow collection bag through your letterbox at the same time as you were viewing the advert?

I think not. Totally different scenario.

It's not different in any way, it's a clever use of advertising with only the small print giving the reality of the deal.
Lets look at it this way, lets say your Grandson, we'll call him little Johnny, comes running over to you on Saturday morning when you have taken him out shopping, "Granny, can i have this magazine so i can build this model plane?, it's only 50p...please please please", you have a quick look at the packaging, see the printed information that the following issues will be £4.99, but still decide to buy little Johnny the magazine, as there "can't be that many issues to collect...can there?", only to finally discover that after buying around 10 issues that the entire series consists of 125 magazines and that the information about that was only printed in the small print, you'd be doing the exact same thing as you are doing here...you'd be calling it a scam, when it's not, and there is no one to blame but yourself for not fully reading the information that the manufacturer provided.

Gizmo
28-Aug-09, 11:32
Apart from the spelling errors, did you really send him here, to Caithness? ;)

Crayola was quoting a spelling mistake from the scanned leaflet that Kevin posted, did you once again not read it properly before forming an opinion and attributing the mistake to Crayola?

Cattach
28-Aug-09, 16:17
Im up in poltney and say the guys collect all the bags that were out this morn. so in this instance they have picked up!

Sure it wasn't your neighbour from round the corner getting a 'new' wardrobe!!

scorrie
28-Aug-09, 18:26
Who mentioned "legally"

The Highland Council's Chief Trading Standards Officer, that is who!!

He is aware of this company and, as I have said already, he had declared that nothing illegal is taking place and there is nothing he can therefore do.

I would hope he is suitably qualified to hold the position he does and that his words are, in fact, the reality of the situation.

I think the key area of the flyer reproduced here is the line declaring that SHC collections provide third world countries with clothing they can AFFORD. Had they simply said that they provide clothing, then I would then say they were withholding essential information and blatantly scamming. The single word "afford" provides any person who bothered to read the leaflet, with the knowledge that the clothes have to be purchased and are not a donation. As soon as I read that word, I binned the flyer and it is indefensible for anyone to complain if they didn't read the leaflet before filling up a bag.

Moira
28-Aug-09, 21:12
I agree with you Moira. Well, I agree with the spirit of your post, it's as carefully worded as an org post on a bad hair day. :Razz

Thanks for that - I love the "bad hair day" comment. :D

Moira
28-Aug-09, 21:32
Crayola was quoting a spelling mistake from the scanned leaflet that Kevin posted, did you once again not read it properly before forming an opinion and attributing the mistake to Crayola?

Calm down Gizmo. I can't imagine Crayola ever needing you or anyone else to defend her corner. It was a joke. I apologise if it went straight over your head. ;) (did you notice the "Winkie" in my post?)

crayola
29-Aug-09, 13:07
Irrespective of whether SHC Collections are breaking the law I believe their flyers are disingenuous and wilfully misleading.

Everything from the header down to the small print is intended to give the reader the impression that clothing is needed urgently, and that donated items will be delivered free of charge to the recipients. The small print is only there to cover their backsides and even its wording is intended to persuade the suspicious reader of their good intentions.

As others have emphasised, the flyer is extremely amateurish and the hotmail address doesn't inspire confidence. It's difficult to find any hard facts about this company on the internet and that in itself is a bad sign. I wouldn't be surprised if little or nothing of what they collect reaches the third world or eastern Europe or goes to cancer research. Yes, a little digging reveals at least two other variants of this lot's activities. They seem to be cowboys and chancers at the very least.

scorrie
29-Aug-09, 22:42
Irrespective of whether SHC Collections are breaking the law I believe their flyers are disingenuous and wilfully misleading.

Everything from the header down to the small print is intended to give the reader the impression that clothing is needed urgently, and that donated items will be delivered free of charge to the recipients. The small print is only there to cover their backsides and even its wording is intended to persuade the suspicious reader of their good intentions.

As others have emphasised, the flyer is extremely amateurish and the hotmail address doesn't inspire confidence. It's difficult to find any hard facts about this company on the internet and that in itself is a bad sign. I wouldn't be surprised if little or nothing of what they collect reaches the third world or eastern Europe or goes to cancer research. Yes, a little digging reveals at least two other variants of this lot's activities. They seem to be cowboys and chancers at the very least.

Based on the above post, authorities have decided to take matters more seriously and Interpol have been informed. The cream of world detectives are now on the case:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/WireMain.jpg

"What's up Jimmy?"

"Just had a 2/11 called in Bunk!!"

"What's that again, aggravated burglary?"

"No, that's a 3/11, 2/11 is "Clothing flyer with bad spelling""

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/article-0-0062DA35000004B0-66_468x6.jpg

"Any clues Sir?"

"Well Lewis, based on the spelling, I think we can rule Professor Higgins out of this one"

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/Taggart460.jpg

"Aw right, Naebody move!! there's been a Claes Scam"

shazzap
29-Aug-09, 22:47

Lol [lol] :lol:...........

Moira
29-Aug-09, 23:38
Irrespective of whether SHC Collections are breaking the law I believe their flyers are disingenuous and wilfully misleading <snip>

Yes - and that is why I fully support the OP's concerns on the SHC Collections/ activity in Caithness.

crayola
30-Aug-09, 00:50
Yes - and that is why I fully support the OP's concerns on the SHC Collections/ activity in Caithness.
Yes, his judgment on this issue is impeccable.