PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Beware....

Fran
29-Mar-06, 23:13
[evil] I have noticed several times, the last being this afternoon, that there is a speed camera van parked in the lay-by on the road between wick and Hempriggs. On my return to wick I noticed the camera sticking out of the window filming cars......so motorists beware and watch your speed, and smile at the camera as you pass!!!!!!!

ice box
29-Mar-06, 23:20
[evil] I have noticed several times, the last being this afternoon, that there is a speed camera van parked in the lay-by on the road between wick and Hempriggs. On my return to wick I noticed the camera sticking out of the window filming cars......so motorists beware and watch your speed, and smile at the camera as you pass!!!!!!!
You havent been speeding again fran lol[lol]

or maybe there taking snap shot to put on the photograghy thread [lol] [lol]

krieve
29-Mar-06, 23:20
Thats one of the polices usual haunts, I have seen them there a few times when passing.

DW
29-Mar-06, 23:31
If you go here

http://www.nscp.co.uk/

then you will always know where the cameras are!!!! :roll:

pultneytooner
29-Mar-06, 23:32
Don't speed and you won't need to know where the cameras are.

krieve
29-Mar-06, 23:35
If you go here

Thanks for that Dw cheers.

MadPict
30-Mar-06, 00:17
Just make sure you're not filmed doing the same as this dozy dame....

LINK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=379284&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&ct=5&expand=true)

ice box
30-Mar-06, 00:28
If you go here

thats the most sensibles post you have come up with in the last week lol:Razz

angela5
30-Mar-06, 00:46
someone was in a hurry..

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/humour/picfiles/pic_speeder.jpg

DW
30-Mar-06, 08:08

I think that is excellent advice, and I never go faster than allowed on my pushbike.

In fact, I have never done anything wrong in my whole life, just like all other members of this illustrious website.

So, there we have it, disband the polis, pultneytooner has got it sorted.

DW
30-Mar-06, 08:09
thats the most sensibles post you have come up with in the last week lol:Razz

Thanks yous sos muchs, youves nos ideas hows littles thats posts meanss tos mes. :Razz :lol:

Whitewater
30-Mar-06, 09:45
Thanks DW, useful information.

chimo
30-Mar-06, 10:09
I think that is excellent advice, and I never go faster than allowed on my pushbike.

In fact, I have never done anything wrong in my whole life, just like all other members of this illustrious website.

So, there we have it, disband the polis, pultneytooner has got it sorted.

So, because people do things they shouldnt, you should be allowed to speed?!!? Speed limits are there for a reason, and you wont get done if you stay within the limits...so your sorted!!

George Brims
30-Mar-06, 11:00
Unlike DW I have been stopped for speeding on a bike! Regent Road in Edinburgh is deceptively steep (it's a very even slope) and I was tootling down there one evening with a strong breeze at my back. I was barely pedalling and passed the police van with never a thought of the speed limit. I was pulled over at the bottom end by a grinning officer who told me they had clocked me at 42 in a 30 zone! I wasn't booked as they decided they would get the mickey taken back at the station for booking a cyclist, but he did put on a serious face and warn me about not doing it again.

DW
30-Mar-06, 13:13
So, because people do things they shouldnt, you should be allowed to speed?!!? Speed limits are there for a reason, and you won't get done if you stay within the limits...so you're sorted!!

What??? Try posting in your native language and it may make more sense.[lol]

scorrie
30-Mar-06, 14:33

What a great idea. Let's all get together on here and undermine the efforts of the Police.

I'll start the ball rolling by posting here every occasion when you are out of your home. That should ensure that the local neds can do over your property without fear of being caught.

Oh, sorry, I forgot motorist offences are not real crimes. As for Police publishing where they have cameras operating, well I always did think that Police Intelligence was an Oxymoron.

peter macdonald
30-Mar-06, 16:10
Oh yes here we go again I have no problem with the police but I always hope that they would have had better things to do like catching the prats that broke into the South School or even better the morons who broke into the house in Henrietta street However that seems difficult in comparison to the guy doing 64mph on a deserted road nr Wick If they are so bothered about speed they should try The Shebster road at certain times of the day or night

Don Quixote
30-Mar-06, 16:39
Oh yes here we go again I have no problem with the police but I always hope that they would have had better things to do like catching the prats that broke into the South School or even better the morons who broke into the house in Henrietta street However that seems difficult in comparison to the guy doing 64mph on a deserted road nr Wick If they are so bothered about speed they should try The Shebster road at certain times of the day or night

... and the road up past the College in Thurso

scorrie
30-Mar-06, 17:34

Better things to do, like what? Trying to prevent people being killed on roads?

Some interesting stats here:-

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/driving/speed_cameras.htm

Tristan
30-Mar-06, 17:34
I am not condoning speeding here but lets catch the worst offenders first rather than going for the easy money sitting on a flat stretch of road.

Going 66 in a 60 zone is 10% over the limit
Going 70 in a 60 zone is 17% over the limit

Now take certain groups of individuals who race in the town or speed along the streets where children walk, play etc

36 in a 30 zone is 20% over the limit
40 in a 30 zone is 33.3% over the limit

I have followed police cars and ambulances on the who were well up past 66mph - 70 mph +
Who is the bigger speeder here? Who is putting more lives at risk ? Seems obvious to me: Those speeding in the town.

I will not even go into those individuals who speed through the new 20mph zones at schools or park across the yellow zig-zag.
[disgust]

fred
30-Mar-06, 18:30
What a great idea. Let's all get together on here and undermine the efforts of the Police.

I think what the police are trying to do is stop people driving too fast on the road into Wick and if Fran's warning means people drive at a reasonable speed on that stretch of road she is helping them achieve their aims.

If the police were trying to catch as many people speeding as possible to make money out of the fines then Fran would be undermining their efforts.

DW
30-Mar-06, 19:18
From Northern Constabulary -"The aim of the Northern Safety Camera Partnership is to reduce the number of people killed and injured on Highland roads."

This is unlike many police authorities doonsooth where all they are doing is fleecing the motorists and having no effect on road safety.

Listen Scorrie me old burd,, you really need to make your mind up; are you supporting the police?

or are you slagging them off?

As for Police publishing where they have cameras operating, well I always did think that Police Intelligence was an Oxymoron.
Tell you what, one should engage one's brain as early in the day as possible, there's a fine fellow. :grin:

peter macdonald
30-Mar-06, 19:25
Scorrie Please note Im not condoning speeding in any way I drive about 30K a year so I see enough clowns on the road but as I have said many times before the local bobbies should be used to better effect than sitting with a camera beside the A99. There is a crime problem in Wick as many org threads illustrate and i would be much happier to see more efforts concentrated in that direction ... the police are trained well and at a fair expense to the government dont you think it is a waste ??
and if the police chiefs are so concerned with the A99 why dont they install a fixed camera???? or install a speed limit at Thrumster??
but then again if they did that everyone would slow down ...no one would be caught ...and it would fair slash the arrest statistics!!!

scorrie
30-Mar-06, 19:26
I think what the police are trying to do is stop people driving too fast on the road into Wick and if Fran's warning means people drive at a reasonable speed on that stretch of road she is helping them achieve their aims.

If the police were trying to catch as many people speeding as possible to make money out of the fines then Fran would be undermining their efforts.

What on earth is the point of having cameras and Police on the job if they are not going to catch anyone? In any case, people will only slow down for that area and then continue to break the law elsewhere. Your logic is faulty on this one and I suspect that you are only posting to support a friend. As for fines, cameras and Policing cost money. If you get caught, cough up and perhaps that will serve as more of an incentive to obey the law next time. To think that slowing down in places you know police to be watching will help make the roads safer is pipedreaming of the highest order.

DW
30-Mar-06, 19:33
To think that slowing down in places you know police to be watching will help make the roads safer is pipedreaming of the highest order.

It is generally accepted practice to site cameras at accident blackspots e.g.Balinluig junction.
The object of these cameras is NOT to catch speeding motorists but to modify their driving behaviour.

From here http://www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/nscl/policy/policy.html

quote "The National Safety Camera Scheme is committed to stamp out death and serious injury on the roads. This will be achieved by taking a targeted approach to speed and traffic light enforcement at locations historically blighted by speed related crashes, where people have sadly been killed or seriously injured and by embarking on public information campaigns to raise the awareness of the risks associated with driving too fast."

What exactly is difficult to understand here?

highlander2222
30-Mar-06, 19:34

Well said agree100%

scorrie
30-Mar-06, 19:40
Listen Scorrie me old burd,, you really need to make your mind up; are you supporting the police?

or are you slagging them off?

Tell you what, one should engage one's brain as early in the day as possible, there's a fine fellow. :grin:

Both. I support the Police but believe that their methods have room for improvement. When they have a crime clampdown in the area and extra Police on duty, it is well advertised beforehand!! To my mind that simply forewarns the bad guys to lie low for a week or whatever and then get back to business as usual when Police numbers are lower.

This is quite a simple concept, it does not come down to either being 100% pro Police or 100% against them. It would be a pretty funny world where you could not support a concept, whilst still being able to criticise some aspect of it.

I have engaged and, in fact, married my brain, sounds like you are going through a trial separation with yours, I trust it won't end in Divorce ;o)

scorrie
30-Mar-06, 19:46
It is generally accepted practice to site cameras at accident blackspots e.g.Balinluig junction.
The object of these cameras is NOT to catch speeding motorists but to modify their driving behaviour.

From here http://www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/nscl/policy/policy.html

quote "The National Safety Camera Scheme is committed to stamp out death and serious injury on the roads. This will be achieved by taking a targeted approach to speed and traffic light enforcement at locations historically blighted by speed related crashes, where people have sadly been killed or seriously injured and by embarking on public information campaigns to raise the awareness of the risks associated with driving too fast."

What exactly is difficult to understand here?

What is going to make the motorist modify their behaviour? If the cameras are there simply for fun, then what point is there in having them at all? If people are not going to be prosecuted for speeding then what incentive is there to observe the speed limit?

I think you should think it through a bit further.

devon lass
30-Mar-06, 19:50
I live in Lyth just where the 30 mile limit starts. At any time of the day you can always hear the speeding cars coming along our road its like they know that its time to put their foot down.There is a long stretch of road so they go for it.If a small child was crossing the road or any pets they wouldnt stand a chance.Sometimes when we are unloading our car we always have to stand right in out of the way in case you get hit.If the police want to try their speed camera here i for one would welcome it.
ITS NOT AS IF THE 30 LIMIT SIGN IS SMALL ITS A CASE OF, IF THE MORONS SLOWED DOWN THEY WOULD SEE IT.

AR
30-Mar-06, 20:57

I can see how the 'safety' cameras at balinluig help with safety at a accident blackspot, but if the cameras are supposed to be put at blackspots why do they sit on the staight bit of road at the mound rather than where all the accidents are a few bends away at canvusavie? Its all financilly motivated. I belive this more now as i have been told that camera vans are operated by private firms.
If the police want to do you with speeding they should be there with the speed gun to physically charge you.Another thing thats wrong with camera vans and fixed cameras is the registered keeper has to tell who was driving the vehicle at the time of the alledged offence.No right to silence, so you may have to incriminate yourself rather than making them prove who it is.

DW
30-Mar-06, 20:58
What is going to make the motorist modify their behaviour?
How about, if you are caught speeding, you get nicked??? :lol:

If the cameras are there simply for fun, then what point is there in having them at all?
Where does it say they are there for fun. They are there to modify motorists' behaviour by forcing them to slow down or get nicked. [disgust]

If people are not going to be prosecuted for speeding then what incentive is there to observe the speed limit?
Where does it say that motorists are not going to be prosecuted. That's why the cameras are there........to catch them speeding if they don't slow down. They then get a wee brown envelope with a prize-winning ticket in it.

I think you should think it through a bit further.
Any cogent thought would be better than the ones which are being displayed under your moniker. [lol]

scorrie
30-Mar-06, 21:17
Any cogent thought would be better than the ones which are being displayed under your moniker.

My posts are logical.

You wrote:-

"The object of these cameras is NOT to catch speeding motorists but to modify their driving behaviour"

Then you write, regarding cameras:-

"They are there to modify motorists' behaviour by forcing them to slow down or get nicked"

If you cannot see the incongruity of the two statements then it's time your engine went in for its 12,000 mile service.

This is my last post on this subject, the road has come to a dead end.

fred
30-Mar-06, 21:20
What on earth is the point of having cameras and Police on the job if they are not going to catch anyone? In any case, people will only slow down for that area and then continue to break the law elsewhere. Your logic is faulty on this one and I suspect that you are only posting to support a friend. As for fines, cameras and Policing cost money. If you get caught, cough up and perhaps that will serve as more of an incentive to obey the law next time. To think that slowing down in places you know police to be watching will help make the roads safer is pipedreaming of the highest order.

The point is that if people know the police are there with a speed camera they will drive slowly and not hit Wick going too fast which could well save someones life. This is why the police put up signs to warn people there are speed cameras in an area.

It is the primary job of the police to prevent crime not to catch criminals and not to encourage crime to justify their existence. They go round helping old aged pensioners to fit proper locks on doors and windows, they don't say "if we stop burglars getting into peoples houses we won't have any burglars to catch", they don't say "it's pointless stopping burglers getting into pensioners houses because the burglers will just find someone elses house to break into" and they don't say "we have to let people break into houses so we can cach them and send them to prison to act as an incentive not to break into houses again".

It is your logic which is severely flawed, I don't think there are any ulterior motives for for it being flawed, I think you just didn't think it through.

davem
30-Mar-06, 21:27
What irritates me is that these cameras and camera vans are more often placed where they will catch people rather than where sticking to the limit will make a great deal of difference to peoples safety. There has been an unmarked car pulling people in Thurso very recently I'm told.

MadPict
30-Mar-06, 21:29
From Northern Constabulary -"The aim of the Northern Safety Camera Partnership is to reduce the number of people killed and injured on Highland roads."

This is unlike many police authorities doonsooth where all they are doing is fleecing the motorists and having no effect on road safety.

The Cambridgeshire Safety Camera Partnership (http://www.cambssafetycameras.co.uk/) make the same point about safety - they have either replaced all the "Speed Camera" signs with "Safety Camera" versions or have rivetted panels with "Safety" on it over the word "Speed" to try and change public perception of the aim of these cameras.

AR
30-Mar-06, 21:34
The Cambridgeshire Safety Camera Partnership (http://www.cambssafetycameras.co.uk/) make the same point about safety - they have either replaced all the "Speed Camera" signs with "Safety Camera" versions or have rivetted panels with "Safety" on it over the word "Speed" to try and change public perception of the aim of these cameras.
We still know that when placed on a staight bit of road that they are really there to make money and not for safety reasons.If safety was the primary objective they would be on the middle of the S bends on hempriggs not on the middle of a straight strech, same outside thurso etc.It is a tax on honest people, cos the crooks dont registar cars in their own names!

scorrie
30-Mar-06, 22:50
The point is that if people know the police are there with a speed camera they will drive slowly and not hit Wick going too fast which could well save someones life. This is why the police put up signs to warn people there are speed cameras in an area.

It is the primary job of the police to prevent crime not to catch criminals and not to encourage crime to justify their existence. They go round helping old aged pensioners to fit proper locks on doors and windows, they don't say "if we stop burglars getting into peoples houses we won't have any burglars to catch", they don't say "it's pointless stopping burglers getting into pensioners houses because the burglers will just find someone elses house to break into" and they don't say "we have to let people break into houses so we can cach them and send them to prison to act as an incentive not to break into houses again".

It is your logic which is severely flawed, I don't think there are any ulterior motives for for it being flawed, I think you just didn't think it through.

One final try. Yes, Police fit locks on windows and doors. I am sure they probably don't regard it as pointless but the fact is that burglars DO simply move on to a more vulnerable property. Therefore the crime is not prevented but simply moved/delayed. My point is, that a burglar caught and sentenced is not committing more thefts while he is imprisoned. I don't see anything severely flawed with that thinking.

If we were to apply your analogy to speeding, Police should be fitting devices to cars that would make it impossible for the car to exceed the speed limit. That owuld be a far more certain method of crime prevention if that be the Police's main objective. There are already methods employed on the roads to prevent deaths, they are called speed limit signs, lines, signs saying SLOW. It is the selfish motorists who ignore these signs that have given rise to the need for cameras.

It is self evident that a criminal has to commit a crime before the Police can prosecute them. It is, however, pretty naive to think that the Police can control crime in this country solely through crime prevention measures and I would put it to you and all others on this board to consider whether you think that the crime prevention measures the Police currently have in place is doing a good job of reducing crime in this country.

I think that is logical and I don't follow your logic, which seems to be Reverse Polish, or perhaps Perverse Polis ;o)

JAWS
30-Mar-06, 23:00
We still know that when placed on a staight bit of road that they are really there to make money and not for safety reasons.If safety was the primary objective they would be on the middle of the S bends on hempriggs not on the middle of a straight strech, same outside thurso etc.It is a tax on honest people, cos the crooks dont registar cars in their own names!
If the cameras are effective in improving road safety then road deaths should have been reduced dramatically in the last 10 to 15 years.
I would expect, from all the propaganda about how effective they are, that deaths should have been reduced by at least 25%, if not 50%.
Has there even been a 10% reduction? If not, why not?
Just how many serious accidents have ther been at Hempriggs during the last 10 years?

You are far more likely to die from an accident in the home than in an accident on the road.
Almost three times as many people are injured playing sport than are injured on the roads.

fred
30-Mar-06, 23:41
One final try. Yes, Police fit locks on windows and doors. I am sure they probably don't regard it as pointless but the fact is that burglars DO simply move on to a more vulnerable property. Therefore the crime is not prevented but simply moved/delayed. My point is, that a burglar caught and sentenced is not committing more thefts while he is imprisoned. I don't see anything severely flawed with that thinking.

Well I'm sure there are plenty of pensioners who would see the flaws in your thinking just as I'm sure the parents of a child knocked down and killed by a speeding motorist on the outskirts of Wick would see the flaws.

Put up signs to warn that there is a speed camera, park a big van with pictures of a camera on it in full view in the layby, everyone pass the word on that there is a speed camera outside Wick then as cars round the corner by the "Wick Retail Park" they will be travelling at a safe speed and a child crossing the road might be saved.

Don't put up the signs, hide the camera, everyone keep quiet about it and the police pull in some revenue from speeding fines but you still get cars hitting Wick at an unsafe speed and a child crossing the road could be killed.

Fran
30-Mar-06, 23:51
? Scorrie ?????? I am puzzled by your comments. i am all for speed cameras but i just think this particular van is parked so obviously that it defeats the object. it should be "hidden" where motorists dont see it so they wont slow down for it. I am all for sppedsters being caught. i saw a nasty accident at the nigg roundabout today where a lorry was speeding and went across the grass at the roundabout. I have seen many accidents caused by speed.
i would like to add that i do not speed and have no driving offences.

Also, my house is safely guarded when i am out.

connieb19
30-Mar-06, 23:56
Out of interest, when you get points for speeding, how long before they are cleared off your license?:confused:

2little2late
31-Mar-06, 00:02
Out of interest, when you get points for speeding, how long before they are cleared off your license?:confused:
4 years, and it will cost you £19.00

connieb19
31-Mar-06, 00:04
4 years, and it will cost you £19.00Thanks 2little2late....:)

JAWS
31-Mar-06, 03:50
Well I'm sure there are plenty of pensioners who would see the flaws in your thinking just as I'm sure the parents of a child knocked down and killed by a speeding motorist on the outskirts of Wick would see the flaws.

Put up signs to warn that there is a speed camera, park a big van with pictures of a camera on it in full view in the layby, everyone pass the word on that there is a speed camera outside Wick then as cars round the corner by the "Wick Retail Park" they will be travelling at a safe speed and a child crossing the road might be saved.

Don't put up the signs, hide the camera, everyone keep quiet about it and the police pull in some revenue from speeding fines but you still get cars hitting Wick at an unsafe speed and a child crossing the road could be killed.
There were more children killed by motor vehicles in 1922 than were killed last year by motor vehicles.

DW
31-Mar-06, 08:27
Fran,
I hope you are following all this!!!!! ;)

badger
31-Mar-06, 11:44
I would like to hear from some of the drivers who do habitually speed but see nothing wrong in it. I know many otherwise highly respectable people who would not dream of shoplifting for instance but regularly break the speed limits and will happily talk about it.

There are many villages with speed limits that drivers ignore, maybe because they can't resist a straight stretch of road and forget there are people living there who would like to come out of their houses without fear. Murkle is crying out for a speed camera - I don't think I have once driven through their 50 mile zone without someone overtaking and I've often been passed in the no-overtaking stretch.

Another thing that really annoys me is drivers who can't wait for the end of a speed limit and have to overtake early. Then there are the ones that overtake just before the start of a limit only to have to jam on their brakes. Why? What is it all about? They can't all be on life-or-death missions.

Wow! You got into town all of 2 seconds before me. Fantastic! What are you going to do with all that time saved?

As an alternative to cameras, I really like those signs on town borders that tell you what speed you are going. Why, having put them up, do they take them away again? Do they not work? They always do for me.

Doleve
31-Mar-06, 13:57
Connie, points stay physically on your licence for 4 years, when you can have them removed, for £19.They only tot up for 3 years(you can only have 12 in any rolling 3 year period), But you usually have to delcare them to insurance companies for 5 years, or more for serious offences like drink driving.
I speed the whole time on the open road and will not be stoping.It is always done according to the conditions.However in any town or area with a restriction like 50, 40, 30 or 20 mph I stick to them. Or any where I know to be a risk, I be careful about speed and be vigalent.
In the distant past I found that the accidents i had (all years ago) , 2 of them, that I had were tottally unrelated to speed.Ok, if i was doing 10mph there would be no accident.But on both occasions they were well below the speed limit, and 1 could be because the other person had no lights on in the pitch black.

Doleve
31-Mar-06, 14:00
As an alternative to cameras, I really like those signs on town borders that tell you what speed you are going. Why, having put them up, do they take them away again? Do they not work? They always do for me.
I do find these are alot more effective than being done, or the stelth tax vans sending a love letter.

scorrie
31-Mar-06, 14:13
There were more children killed by motor vehicles in 1922 than were killed last year by motor vehicles.

That is a misleading and pretty meaningless stat on its own. A large part of the reason for reduction in fatalities is the fact that roads have become so dangerous that children are now kept away from them.

In 1970 80% of schoolchildren went to school on their own, by 1990 this had reduced to 9% and latest figures show that hardly any 7 to 8 year old kids go to school unaccompanied by an adult.

There are various safety measures in place today that did not exist in 1922 and children have road safety taught to them through both school and the media on a fairly intensive basis. Children in general are also much more street-wise and aware at a much earlier age than they were in 1922.

It is an interesting fact that fewer people in Britain today actually know who lives across the street from them and this is partly due to the fact that they avoid crossing the street through fear of dangerous traffic.

Doleve
31-Mar-06, 14:15
It is an interesting fact that fewer people in Britain today actually know who lives across the street from them and this is partly due to the fact that they avoid crossing the street through fear of dangerous traffic.
I think its got to do with people not having a community spirit etc. Especially on council estates.

scorrie
31-Mar-06, 14:24
? Scorrie ?????? I am puzzled by your comments. i am all for speed cameras but i just think this particular van is parked so obviously that it defeats the object. it should be "hidden" where motorists dont see it so they wont slow down for it. I am all for sppedsters being caught. i saw a nasty accident at the nigg roundabout today where a lorry was speeding and went across the grass at the roundabout. I have seen many accidents caused by speed.
i would like to add that i do not speed and have no driving offences.

Also, my house is safely guarded when i am out.

So you are all for speed cameras are you. Let's look at your original post. Drivers Beware. Thumbs down icon, that would seem to indicate a negative approach to the subject in hand. Next icon, looks a bit negative to me also, mmm.

If these cameras are so obvious then why do you need to warn others of their presence? You are all for speedsters being caught, why forewarn them then?

Original post ends on a flippant note.

I see nothing there that indicates support for speed cameras.

scorrie
31-Mar-06, 14:25
I think its got to do with people not having a community spirit etc. Especially on council estates.

That is true also but people did give road safety as a reason for not knowing the people across the street.

DW
31-Mar-06, 15:32
So you are all for speed cameras are you.

blahblaahblahblah YADAYADAYADA

She was obviously won over by your stunning argument and persuasiveness. :p

pultneytooner
31-Mar-06, 17:01
So you are all for speed cameras are you. Let's look at your original post. Drivers Beware. Thumbs down icon, that would seem to indicate a negative approach to the subject in hand. Next icon, looks a bit negative to me also, mmm.

If these cameras are so obvious then why do you need to warn others of their presence? You are all for speedsters being caught, why forewarn them then?

Original post ends on a flippant note.

Well said scorrie.

fred
31-Mar-06, 19:40

There were more children killed when they didn't have speed cameras than when they do have speed cameras then.

See, they work.

Fran
01-Apr-06, 00:11
Scorrie, I do not support speedsters and I do not tell where speed cameras are and i know where most of them are on the road to Inverness. My main comments was about the speed camera van being in such a silly obvious place and what was the point of it being there where everyone can see it.when the police are checking speedsters they at least hide off the road and are not usually seen. im sorry if my post gave out the opposite to what i meant to say.

elaine
01-Apr-06, 08:28
I also agree with them being visible - at the end of the day, their purpose is to slow people down on certain bits of road - that's why they were made stripey and reflective a few years ago - to draw attention to themselves! It was also that year that the sneaky ones which were hidden behind roadsigns were made visible. I've been caught once with mobile camera - ach well, it was a fair cop (3 points and a 60 quid fine) and I've definately learnt my lesson and am extra vigilant (i.e. paranoid) about safety cameras now....which is a good thing!
Not to mention those ones which are at traffic lights which snap people if they run a red light - I am so nervous they will get me half-way across that I never take the risk and end up annoying eveyone behind me!!