PDA

View Full Version : Bumping into "Famous" people

scorrie
24-Aug-09, 20:58
A couple of years ago my Nephew got married in Cancun, Mexico. The family stayed in one of the best hotels in the area (seven stars my Sister in Law said!!)

My Brother in Law had been assured that this was the type of place where stars from all forms of entertainment pitched up when they were in the neighbourhood and he was constantly on the look out for evidence to back this up. Blimey, this place was so swank that the Bathroom towels were folded into the shape of a swan!!

Anyway, a few days in and Bro in Law spotted a face that was naggingly familiar. He kept telling his Wife "I know that guy from somewhere, I think I may have seen him on TV or in a film"

His Son and Daughter were less impressed and pulled the P by dubbing the guy "George Clooney"

My Bro in law got fed up with this and promised to ask the guy who he was the next time he saw him. He didn't have to wait long as he bumped into the chap whilst being driven to the bar in a golf cart (told you it was posh)

"Excuse me son, I can't help but think I know you from somewhere, would you mind telling me why this might be?"

"Ah, can I ask if you come from Erskine mate?" came the reply.

"Aye, I do" stated a perplexed Bro in Law, "Do you recognise my accent?"

"Yes, but that's not how I know, it's just that.............."

Fast forward 10 minutes and our man is relating the full story to the rest of the family.

"So Dad, was the guy a star of TV, Film or Music?"

"Err, none of those" came the sheepish reply. "He works in our Butcher's shop in Erskine!!"

Well, talk about not being able to live it down, the family were creasing themselves.

The best part came later, when they saw the guy heading up the escalator in the hotel foyer and my Niece shouted up the escalator after him:-

"Here, Clooney, Gonnae gies two punna mince!!"

im behind you
24-Aug-09, 21:19
this happend a couple years ago and your only just posting you should try and keep up

Amy-Winehouse
24-Aug-09, 21:23
this happend a couple years ago and your only just posting you should try and keep up

That was slightly sarcastic pmsl[lol]

zappster
24-Aug-09, 21:58
Pure Class!!haha

hails4
24-Aug-09, 23:59
met owen wilson in new york whilst he was there filming Night at the museum 2. No use when bout 10-15 screaming women are running at him !!

scorrie
25-Aug-09, 12:38

When another couple of years have passed you might have managed to get your head round the story ;)

Oh, you are the "Dirty Looks" poster. Enough said!!

scorrie
25-Aug-09, 12:42
That was slightly sarcastic pmsl[lol]

Great minds think alike eh? ;)

butterfly
25-Aug-09, 13:02
Had a laugh at your story Scorrie,very amusing!

scotsboy
25-Aug-09, 14:54
A couple of years ago I quite literally bumped into Gabriel Batistuta as he was leaving and I was entering the bar at Doha Golf Club (Qatar)............fair play to him he never went down.

Bill Fernie
25-Aug-09, 14:59
I once passed Freddie Frinton in a street in Blackpool possibly 40 years ago.

who? - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Frinton

strangely I have always remebred this passing without which he might have passed out of my memory as his TV appearances are long in the past unless repeats.

Dadie
25-Aug-09, 15:06
I managed not to notice the lassie that played candice in corrie while shopping in the trafford centre while my hubby saw her (she was nearly wearing a scimpy top apparently) I was to intent on underwear shopping in la senza to care:lol:
I met Philip Scofield in the days of gordon the gopher and as a kid wasnt impressed!
Im not great at noticing celebs.... to busy getting on with what im doing:D

George Brims
25-Aug-09, 18:15
My closest brush with the famous was at Los Angeles Airport. I had just seen my wife off on a work trip and was coming down the escalator to the ground level heading for the car. In the door comes Dennis Rodman, with a gaggle of people trying to stop him and shake his hand. Unfortunately he was looking over his shoulder and not paying attention to where he was going, so he entered the bottom of the Down escalator instead of the Up one, and knocked me on my arse. He was mortified and very apologetic.

Other than that I see a lot of celebrities on the freeway, and sometimes at the shopping mall. And John Lithgow (Third Rock from the Sun) walks his dogs around our campus regularly. His wife is Dean of the Law school.

Tom Cornwall
25-Aug-09, 19:21
last year, Craig Brown, ex Scottish football manager, was on the same ship as we were, in the Med,....Liz got her picture taken with him in Pisa...he had no problem with being recognised

teddybear1873
25-Aug-09, 19:37
Seen Alan Tichmarsh in Inverness Airport last year. Sat near him having a coffee. He was was smaller than I thought, must have been only about 5ft 6 or 7.

Fluff
25-Aug-09, 20:01
Hmm I think the most famous person I have met would be Sophie Ellie -Bextor, who was on the same flight as me from Inverness-Heathrow. I chatted to her as we got off the plane, lovely lady.
I have seen/met Prince Charles, but then who has'nt in Caithness LOL!

dirdyweeker
25-Aug-09, 20:11
Telly Savalas in a night club in Las Vegas, he didn't have his lollipop!

Matthew
25-Aug-09, 20:47
I saw Harry Enfield in Inverness airport. Couldn't believe my eyes.

highbury
25-Aug-09, 20:55
it was my pleasure to shake the hand of Joziah Longo just last weekend:)

Alan16
25-Aug-09, 22:21
I bumped in to Sean Connery in Edinburgh. He told me to watch where I was going.

I didn't of course (he hasn't been to Scotland for years...) I've just been waiting to make that joke since I started reading this thread...

golach
25-Aug-09, 22:28
I bumped in to Sean Connery in Edinburgh. He told me to watch where I was going.

I didn't of course (he hasn't been to Scotland for years...) I've just been waiting to make that joke since I started reading this thread...

Sadly your wrong again with your jokes/facts, Sean was in Edinburgh on the 28th June presenting awards at the Edinburgh Film Festival.
Do try harder [disgust]

Alan16
25-Aug-09, 22:29
Sadly your wrong again with your jokes/facts, Sean was in Edinburgh on the 28th June presenting awards at the Edinburgh Film Festival.
Do try harder [disgust]

Did it hurt when you broke your funny bone?

joxville
25-Aug-09, 22:36

Sorry but I fail to see where the joke is. :(

Perhaps you should have said he left you shaken, not stirred. :)

golach
25-Aug-09, 22:39

when you write something original, and funny I may laugh at it, but I doubt it.

teddybear1873
25-Aug-09, 22:48
I seen Lord Lucan walking doon Rotterdam Street in Thurso (maybe it was Lord Thurso)

Alan16
25-Aug-09, 23:06
Sorry but I fail to see where the joke is. :(

Perhaps you should have said he left you shaken, not stirred. :)

when you write something original, and funny I may laugh at it, but I doubt it.

By the sound of it both of you're not laughing because you dislike me rather than my joke. Oh well, I can live with that.

northener
25-Aug-09, 23:08
Had a beer with James Coburn in Antigua many years ago. Nice bloke.

Alan16
25-Aug-09, 23:18
Had a beer with James Coburn in Antigua many years ago. Nice bloke.

That the "Magnificent Seven" guy?

golach
25-Aug-09, 23:20
Did not want to brag, but I was an extra in a film with Sophia Loren, William Holden and Trevor Howard, shook hands with Sophia and William Holden, he bought all the crew on the ship three cases of beer. The film was The Key.

Dog-eared
25-Aug-09, 23:41
Met Ewan Macillroy from BBC "Landward " 3 times, also worked with his mate from their radio programme "out of doors ? " Nice guys.

Had a pint with Chris Bonnington the climber. Big guy with hands like two bunches of bananas .

Was sitting on the wall opposite the pennyland petrol station once and a voice called " yoo-hoo ! " I looked round and it was Prince Andrews wife Fergie being driven by with her window down smiling and waving. The Brittannia was in the bay !

sweetpea
25-Aug-09, 23:47

That would be sore. If you broke the bone.

Alan16
25-Aug-09, 23:50
That would be sore. If you broke the bone.

I'm obviously missing a connection of some sort. I've broken my leg in the past and it was sore, but I don't see the relevance...

sweetpea
25-Aug-09, 23:55
Just saying...........

sweetpea
25-Aug-09, 23:58
What's it got to do with famous people? Most people have a broken bone at some point. Y/N?

Alan16
26-Aug-09, 00:00
Just saying...........

What's it got to do with famous people? Most people have a broken bone at some point. Y/N?

I wouldn't know. I've had a broken bone but if you could see my feet you wouldn't call me most people?

sweetpea
26-Aug-09, 00:01
I wouldn't know. I've had a broken bone but if you could see my feet you wouldn't call me most people?

Are you from Watten or Dunbeath?

Alan16
26-Aug-09, 00:03
Are you from Watten or Dunbeath?

They're not webbed, if that's what you're getting at. (I.e. No)

I don't think I've ever been so confused during a conversation.

sweetpea
26-Aug-09, 00:05
I seen Lord Lucan walking doon Rotterdam Street in Thurso (maybe it was Lord Thurso)

Maybe they share the same Jeans[lol]

Kevin Milkins
26-Aug-09, 00:06
Great story scorrie.:lol:

My uncle used to be a friend and neighbour of Oliver Reid and he came to stay with my Granddad when I was about seven. I can just about remember the excitement it caused in a small Welsh mining community at the time and older members of the local Blaentillery workman’s club still talk about it now.

About 34 years ago Peter O' Toole stared in a film called Rouge Male that was partly filmed on a farm I used to work on in Chepstow, but never reckoned much to him. (Big head)

Ten years ago we met Ken Kitson while on holiday and he was a right scream and good company, but it was hard work trying to wrestle the microphone off him to get a shot at the karaoke .lol

scorrie
26-Aug-09, 00:51
Maybe they share the same Jeans[lol]

Jean Hunt? ;)

George Brims
26-Aug-09, 01:55
About 34 years ago Peter O' Toole stared in a film called Rouge Male that was partly filmed on a farm I used to work on in Chepstow, but never reckoned much to him. (Big head)
That would be *Rogue* Male. I don't think Peter O'Toole ever wore that much makeup. Sadly I just looked that up and it isn't available on Netflix. Drat! You reminded me I have wanted to see it for years.

butterfly
26-Aug-09, 02:08
By the sound of it both of you're not laughing because you dislike me rather than my joke. Oh well, I can live with that.

No.Your jokes really are tripe.

Kevin Milkins
26-Aug-09, 08:54
That would be *Rogue* Male. I don't think Peter O'Toole ever wore that much makeup. Sadly I just looked that up and it isn't available on Netflix. Drat! You reminded me I have wanted to see it for years.

Although I did get to see a lot of the filming and meet most of the actors and crew, for some reason I never got to see the film.:(

Out of interest I looked it up on amazon and it is over £30-00 for a new copy or £19-00 for a used one.:eek:

I can't imagine it was much cop because most Peter O' Toole films have been on the telly over and over.

When the film was released I had a nice letter off the production team for my help while the were on the farm and for supplying them with fresh milk.

joxville
26-Aug-09, 10:56

Not at all Alan, I have nothing against you, I just failed to see the joke.

joxville
26-Aug-09, 11:00
No.Your jokes really are crap.

Don't hold back, say what you mean. :)

bettedaviseyes
26-Aug-09, 15:22
i'v met Violet and Jamie, played by real-life couple Jenny and Rupert, also met ainsley harriott, nick nairn,