PDA

View Full Version : Girl aged 10 handcuffed and locked up for six hours

highlander
24-Aug-09, 13:25
Just read this story in the daily mail, well i for one would like to shake the policemans hand and say "thank gawd someone has got sence" maybe more of this shock, sharp treatment would sort out the scum who walks about thinking they can get away with anything just because of thier age.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208622/Girl-10-handcuffed-locked-cell-hours.html

Tugmistress
24-Aug-09, 13:33
must admit i agree with you and the comments of the readers on the article.
and is it me getting old or does she look older than 10?

Matthew
24-Aug-09, 13:49
Can't believe they gave her a cup of tea and a sandwich... lol.

And yes, she looks older than 10.

tonkatojo
24-Aug-09, 13:53
Just read this story in the daily mail, well i for one would like to shake the policemans hand and say "thank gawd someone has got sence" maybe more of this shock, sharp treatment would sort out the scum who walks about thinking they can get away with anything just because of thier age.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208622/Girl-10-handcuffed-locked-cell-hours.html

Damn right, If the man's dog had snarled bitten the lass I bet the father would be baying for the dog to be destroyed.

Venture
24-Aug-09, 15:34
If I had a 10 year-old who had assualted an adult I certainly wouldn't be putting her on display to the public in a newspaper article. I'd be hiding in shame and she would be grounded for a long, long time with no privileges. She deserved the treatment given to her and was lucky to come away with only a reprimand. I had to laugh when the father said she was treated like a criminal. I'm afraid that's what she is. I know plenty 10-year-old girls who are tomboys but they don't go around slapping and pushing adults. She looks as if she is lapping up the attention and expects people to feel sorry for her. What about the man who was attacked, no mention of him you notice or even an apology from her or her father for her actions. There is too much of the soft approach when it comes to children commiting crime nowadays both by the authorities and parents. [disgust]

hotrod4
24-Aug-09, 15:41
Admittedly i thought the polis were a bit hard on her until i read further that a 15 and 16 year old boys were also involved. What is a 10 year old girl doing with lads that age?.Think on this occasion the polis are right in what they have done.Well done to them.

butterfly
24-Aug-09, 15:41
If a member of the public hadnt made that call to the police what would have happened to that man and his dog then.She's not innocent and her father is a fool for putting her on show.Both brainless.

Fluff
24-Aug-09, 16:13
This is typical from the daily mail though. I can just picture the article in head had she not been arrested
' a man who was walking his dog in the park yesterday was viscously attacked by a gang of up to 20 teenagers, some as young as 10. The man, who did not want to be identified, said it all started when a girl came running up to his dog and stuck her hand out. Thinking she was going to attack the dog he shouted at her. The girl then attacked the man, with her 15 and 16 year old friends helping. The gang then ran away, leaving the man and his dog badly shaken'

In the dad's eyes, he probably thinks she is a little angel.

badger
24-Aug-09, 21:45
Very sad - she looks much too tough and hard for her age. What kind of father is he? What kind of mother will she be one day? Doesn't look as if the police had much choice but I doubt if it did the child any good since her father is not going to back them up.

Alan16
24-Aug-09, 21:53
I type this sort of thing into Google and the police say I'm doing something illegal. But you create a thread on c.org and it's fine...

joxville
24-Aug-09, 22:00
I type this sort of thing into Google and the police say I'm doing something illegal. But you create a thread on c.org and it's fine...

Are you in the habit of searching for 10yr old girls in handcuffs on the web? :eek: [lol]

Alan16
24-Aug-09, 22:09
Are you in the habit of searching for 10yr old girls in handcuffs on the web? :eek: [lol]

Joke identified. Although if I did, I'm sure I'd do it in my normal clothing.

-Alan16, notes vague Nun jokes will go down a treat. What goes black, white, bl...

Vistravi
24-Aug-09, 23:21
It's about time something was done about the kids that have no respect for anyone and the teens that think its fine to hurt people in this way and much worse.
She was in the wrong and she was punished for it. Her father is being far too soft on her.

Vistravi
24-Aug-09, 23:24
This is typical from the daily mail though. I can just picture the article in head had she not been arrested
' a man who was walking his dog in the park yesterday was viscously attacked by a gang of up to 20 teenagers, some as young as 10. The man, who did not want to be identified, said it all started when a girl came running up to his dog and stuck her hand out. Thinking she was going to attack the dog he shouted at her. The girl then attacked the man, with her 15 and 16 year old friends helping. The gang then ran away, leaving the man and his dog badly shaken'

In the dad's eyes, he probably thinks she is a little angel.

Very sad - she looks much too tough and hard for her age. What kind of father is he? What kind of mother will she be one day? Doesn't look as if the police had much choice but I doubt if it did the child any good since her father is not going to back them up.

Both very good points made. I agree with you both.

purplelady
24-Aug-09, 23:24
Have to say she does look older than ten and like a lot of others have said why on earth was she with these older lads if she were my daughther she would be grounded till she was at least 16 lol x

crayola
24-Aug-09, 23:44
Good grief, I expected to see moral outrage when I saw the title of this thread 'Girl aged 10 handcuffed and locked up for six hours' but I didn't expect it to be in favour of the action! :eek:

Alan16
24-Aug-09, 23:52
Good grief, I expected to see moral outrage when I saw the title of this thread 'Girl aged 10 handcuffed and locked up for six hours' but I didn't expect it to be in favour of the action! :eek:

Moral outrage on caithness.org? You must have this site confused with another!

JAWS
25-Aug-09, 02:56
She certainly looks a lot older than ten and from her facial expression she also looks like a real spoiled little brat. For her to be handcuffed I would think the police, like people here, took her to be a good bit older than she is, especially in view of the age of the boys she was hanging round with.

I have a suspicion that, from the comments from the police, that she was being quite a little handful in her behaviour. If the father is so concerned he would have been better putting in an official complaint or, if he thought that would not be dealt with to his satisfaction, have taken the matter up either via his MP or one of the Child Protection Agencies rather than splashing his daughters face all over a national newspaper.

I have little doubt that when she is pregnant at 13 or 14 he will no doubt be bemoaning his fate and wailing that he doesn't know where he went wrong.

What also has to be born in mind is the version of events given by the person who phoned the police that there were a gang of twenty involved in the attack and one had a stick. OK, there is a possibility that twenty might have been a bit of an exaggeration but even allowing for that I would certainly expect that there were several more than three involved.

There is certainly a lot more to it than just a ten year old smacking an elderly man just once. If it had been just that I certainly would have been outraged by the girl's treatment nut not having read the rest of the incident and the fact that she certainly looks more like a teenager than any ten year old.

It would be very interesting to hear a totally independent account of exactly what had happened.

Rheghead
25-Aug-09, 03:55
The father claims he wasn't allowed immediate access to his daughter after 2 hours of not knowing about his daughter's arrest.

Seems a bit suspect that. Either, he isn't the legal guardian or the cops didn't know her true age or he is nit picking about a few minutes to allow for procedures to be done or whatever. Under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, it is a legal requirement for children to be accompanied by their guardian under interrogation or even in custody. And it is also a legal requirement that the guardian is contacted immediately, admittedly, if he is too drunk in a pub somewhere then they aren't gonna let him near her if he is unfit.[lol]

brandy
25-Aug-09, 07:46
im agreeing with everyone else on this, if that had been sam or ben they would have been begging the police to keep them in! *WEG* they wouldnt see the light of day for months if it had been me on the other end of that phone call when they called to tell me my 10 year old child was sitting in a cell for assault. I would prob. leave them sitting pretty in the cell for a few extra hours as long as i knew they were safe.
when i was 16 i fell out with a mate, and started walking home at 2 am in the morning. the police stopped and picked me up. was going to take me to the station and call my mom and dad, when i freaked and started sobbing he just took me home instead. all i could think was that they were gonna KILL me if the police called them to come pick me up! that was my first and only ride in the back of a police car! i even tried to wiggle out of the trouble stirring by telling the officer he could drop me at the bottom of my drive! did that work? nope...
he pulled right up to the house, let me out took me by the arm, walked to the door gave that its the police can you open the door in the middle of the night knock. when my dad opened the door the officer said, exscuse me sir but is this your daughter? my dad just looked at me slightly disgusted and very disapointed and said,, yes sir, she is. thankfully the officer explained what had happened that i wasnt in trouble but that he just wanted to make sure i made it home.
once he had left dad just said..go to bed we will talk in the morning.
i had never felt so horrible, so horrified by myself in my life before or sense then.
i felt that i had let my parents down.
in the end i was grounded,
told off for being stupid enough to be out walking at 2 am when i was suppose to be having a sleep over.
and learning a great life lesson.
but can tell you what the officer was the hero, and i was def. in teh dog house!

Dadie
25-Aug-09, 08:21
If my sisters and I did anything like that (not that we were allowed out at that age without parents knowing where we were and who we were with and only if they approved, we wouldnt be hanging around with 15 and 16 year old boys) we would have had our backsides well and truly tanned and would have been grounded indefinately.
No questions asked.
We would certainly not be portrayed as a little angel.
We would be made to make amends for the trouble caused by our parents even if the police didnt!
Actions dont seem to have concequences these days, and if your little angel gets into trouble blame someone else.....

highland visitor
25-Aug-09, 08:27
I agree with everyone else regarding the article,
Why was she allowed to be out & about hanging about with a group of other kids some much older than herself anyway?
Makes me wonder if the parents knew where she was & what she gets upto.
My two kids wernt allowed away from the front of the house at that age, they had to 'play out' within my sight, seems the girl isnt happy just 'playing out' she has more intrest in hanging out with a group of kids who obviously start trouble, think its normal to hit an adult etc,
these kind of kids are our future yobbos in my opinion.
I fully support the action the police took, harsh but needed.
As for the father, well he obviously didnt care where or what his daughter was doing until she was remanded in custody for her outragous behaviour.

crayola
25-Aug-09, 08:52
And it is also a legal requirement that the guardian is contacted immediately
Ssssh! Don't let the Mail readers know about this or we'll be in for another lecture on the nanny state and why we shouldn't believe anything we read in a certain left-leaning daily! :cool:

Libra81
25-Aug-09, 08:58
'He said: 'It seems absolutely ridiculous, she was treated like a criminal'

Erm, thats because she is a criminal. Assult is assult no matter what age she is.

Bobinovich
25-Aug-09, 09:32
Welcome to the Org Libra81 :D

Libra81
25-Aug-09, 10:03
Thank you Bobinovich.

I do like a good debate. I have a 13 year old brother and when he was 12 he was taken home in a police car. I can honestly say he was absolutely devestated and disgusted with himself because he felt he had let everyone down.
This child has no shame and seems to think she is the victim

butterfly
25-Aug-09, 11:43
Welcome to this place Libra81,hope you like it.:)