PDA

View Full Version : Crop Circles

Kevin Milkins
23-Aug-09, 22:46
I was watching Country File this evening on TV and there was a bit on about crop circles.

I am not sure if it’s something that happens much in this part of the world and I have not witnessed it here, but when I used to drive a combine harvester down south I have on more than one occasion come across this and could not offer any logical explanation.

There was a guy on this programme tonight that admitted to being an “artist” that had taken part in makeing crop circles, but the ones I witnessed were so far out in the sticks and no footfall disturbance that it would have been very near impossible for it to have been done by people and yet some of the symmetrical shapes in the corn were mind boggling.

We where always on a tight schedule with the weather and had to get on with the harvesting so the farm manager would not allow us to report them and they were never inspected by anyone that may have been able to offer a logical explanation for them.

Has anyone else had experience with this odd occurrence or has beliefs on how they come about?

Kenn
23-Aug-09, 23:06
Man's inventiveness,sense of humour,artistic licence and deviousness knows no bounds.
There were a few appeared in East Sussex a few years back, took a while but eventually the perpertrators owned up and even demonstrated how they had done it.

Kevin Milkins
23-Aug-09, 23:23
Man's inventiveness,sense of humour,artistic licence and deviousness knows no bounds.
There were a few appeared in East Sussex a few years back, took a while but eventually the perpertrators owned up and even demonstrated how they had done it.

I would agree with you Lizz on mans inventiveness and willingness to do something original and intriguing, but the ones I witnessed were a long way off the road and out in the middle of nowhere and the questions we asked ourselves at the time was, If someone was going to go to the trouble of doing this, Why would they walk across seventy acres of wheat and do it in a very difficult part of a far flung field and show no sign at all of how they got there?

You would have to have understood the geography of the farm to begin to understand just how unlikely those were done by man.

Saveman
23-Aug-09, 23:26
Signs is one of my favourite sci fi movies

greenasiamcabbagelooking
23-Aug-09, 23:41
If someone was going to go to the trouble of doing this, Why would they walk across seventy acres of wheat and do it in a very difficult part of a far flung field and show no sign at all of how they got there?

the more difficult and unlikely to be done by man/woman is the whole idea ... they want us to believe in something other worldly

i mind when the crop circle thing was taking off and some farmers where delaying the harvest so they could charge crusties and new agers to come and marvel at the spectacle !

folk with boards, rope, measuring tape and cider in the middle of the night... nothing more ...... or is it ?! (cue x-files music)

davlaurjen
23-Aug-09, 23:46
I think most are man-made,but I would love to believe that some of them have a different explanation.

greenasiamcabbagelooking
23-Aug-09, 23:47
i love ones like this .....

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/crop-circle-5.jpg

it's got that ET type of symbology .....

but then they went and ruined the magic by doing this .....

http://blog.yoc2008.com/chainchange/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/c61cb49e15ddb6ba85d52d82fdf923eefa801fb9_m2.jpg

taking the michael really, not to mention wasting valuable crops !

Kevin Milkins
23-Aug-09, 23:49
the more difficult and unlikely to be done by man/woman is the whole idea ... they want us to believe in something other worldly

i mind when the crop circle thing was taking off and some farmers where delaying the harvest so they could charge crusties and new agers to come and marvel at the spectacle !

folk with boards, rope, measuring tape and cider in the middle of the night... nothing more ...... or is it ?! (cue x-files music)

I am very open minded and would like to believe there is a very logical explantion, but in a very rural part of Shropshire over twenty five years ago I still find it hard to believe that they were done by man.

sweetpea
23-Aug-09, 23:55
I have Faerie rings at the bottom of my garden.:)

greenasiamcabbagelooking
24-Aug-09, 00:00
25 years ago ?
you could have something there Kevin, this is well before it was trendy or well publicised.
were the circles basic circles or patterns ?
another explanation i've heard is ball lightening for the simple circle shape.

i'm open minded, but the soyder drinking saboteurs have ruined it for me .... robbed me of my innocence they have :(

Rheghead
24-Aug-09, 00:37
Why do crop circles always occur in fields where there are straight lines occurring? Is it so the culprits can walk along them without leaving any tracks?

Kevin Milkins
24-Aug-09, 10:18
25 years ago ?
you could have something there Kevin, this is well before it was trendy or well publicised.
were the circles basic circles or patterns ?
another explanation i've heard is ball lightening for the simple circle shape.

i'm open minded, but the soyder drinking saboteurs have ruined it for me .... robbed me of my innocence they have :(

25 years ago was about the first time I had heard of them and the ones I saw were no where near as spectacular as the photos of the ones you posted, but when you are sat high up on a combine looking down on something that is very symmetrical it was hard to believe the explanations at that time.
It was said “it could have been a whirlwind or a fungi in the soil that was making it’s way outwards”.

Why do crop circles always occur in fields where there are straight lines occurring? Is it so the culprits can walk along them without leaving any tracks?

The ones I witnessed was a little while before we did precision drilling and the crops of barley we grew at that time was a very tall straw varieties and extremely difficult to walk through let alone leave without evidence of being there.

oldmarine
24-Aug-09, 12:34
Crop circles have shown up all over the world. There have been all kinds of explanations as to their meaning.

scorrie
24-Aug-09, 17:30
Would anyone care to read this article and simplify/summarise for the rest of us?

http://www.spiritualgenome.com/crop_circles_explained.htm

Kevin Milkins
24-Aug-09, 18:37
Would anyone care to read this article and simplify/summarise for the rest of us?

Thanks for that scorrie, I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.

So, in short it is group consciousness phenomenon brought about by hypercommunication within the DNA.:eek::confused.

Kenn
24-Aug-09, 19:59
No it's the voices of the mind communicating with worms in their holes on an astrophysical level of course.

George Brims
24-Aug-09, 20:07
Most crop fields have those lines, from the tractor passing through doing some spraying or whatever. Big blooper in a movie a couple of years ago, "The Count of Monte Cristo" where there is the big sword fight at the end, and the field of grain in the background has those big tracks through it (150 years before there were tractors). Not quite as bad as the jet trails in the sky in a Western made in the 50s.

George Brims
24-Aug-09, 20:09

I can summarise. Those blokes are aff their heids.

Kevin Milkins
24-Aug-09, 22:06
Most crop fields have those lines, from the tractor passing through doing some spraying or whatever. Big blooper in a movie a couple of years ago, "The Count of Monte Cristo" where there is the big sword fight at the end, and the field of grain in the background has those big tracks through it (150 years before there were tractors). Not quite as bad as the jet trails in the sky in a Western made in the 50s.

They also have the tractor wheel marks in the field of barley in Gladiator.:eek:

crayola
25-Aug-09, 00:35
I can summarise. Those blokes are aff their heids.
Where's your scientist's open mind George? :lol:

Not to worry because the org's cleaners will be happy. It's one less brain they'll be needing to wipe up off the floor after open-minded.org opens up a tad too far and its collective grey matter goes into free fall. :eek:

JAWS
25-Aug-09, 03:38
A while ago there was a programme about Crop Circles. They had two chaps on called Doug and Dave (no joke) who claimed they were responsible for the first ones. They even showed how they did it using a rope and a plank.

Fine, but there is one small problem, they must be at least a couple of hundred ears old. There are reports of crop circles, I think it was from Yorkshire area, as long ago as the 1700s. At that time they put it down to the actions of the Devil, presumably, just as ET gets the blame now, because they had no other explanation.

There was also a programme which set out to display exactly how they were made. They had a group of post-graduate students from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, one of the top scientific institutions in the States, who tried to replicate one.

They examined the stalks at an existing, unexplained crop circle and set out to replicate one exactly the same. Sure they could flatten the crops into a circle but they came to the conclusion that there was no way they could replicate the identical damage to the stalks, amongst other details, and complete the circle during darkness to ensure they were not seen. They also pointed out that the normal person would certainly not be expected to have access to the kind of equipment available to them at MIT.

Yes, some, especially the more complex ones, are man made but there are others which are more difficult to explain.
One thing that does puzzle me is that I have never heard of anybody having been caught making one, even the ones which are definitely man made. If the ladies would kindly excuse that expression.

Rheghead
25-Aug-09, 03:44
A while ago there was a programme about Crop Circles. They had two chaps on called Doug and Dave (no joke) who claimed they were responsible for the first ones. They even showed how they did it using a rope and a plank.

Fine, but there is one small problem, they must be at least a couple of hundred ears old. There are reports of crop circles, I think it was from Yorkshire area, as long ago as the 1700s. At that time they put it down to the actions of the Devil, presumably, just as ET gets the blame now, because they had no other explanation.

Perhaps Doug and Dave knew their stuff and tried to replicate said devilish circles, there's nowt that can reinforce a good tale than a bit of unknown truth thrown in for good measure.:confused

Ricco
25-Aug-09, 14:46
The explanation is easy, or could be ;-)

They program nanobots (microscopic robots - they do exist) and then slip them into the next lot of spray the farmer is going to use. The 'bots then climb partway up the stalks and fell them in the pre-programmed pattern. Being microscopic the 'bots don't show up on infra-red night sights and they are still there the following day.

Who programmes the 'bots? Why, aliens, of course! :D