PDA

View Full Version : dandruff?

Vistravi
23-Aug-09, 22:18
My tom cat has bad dandruff. Well cat form of it.

he has quite alot of small flakes coming out of his coat but there is no smell.
He has always had this though.

Does anyone know anything to help it?

teenybash
23-Aug-09, 22:21
Cod liver oil may help.Easilly got in P@H and cats usually like it ....just add a little to food.:)

unicorn
23-Aug-09, 22:24
It actually sounds a bit like mites, when rabbits have a bad case of fur mites it will show as dandruff. Has he been frontlined recently?

Vistravi
23-Aug-09, 22:41
Cod liver oil may help.Easilly got in P@H and cats usually like it ....just add a little to food.:)

cheers teenybash i shall get some tomorrow after work. :)

It actually sounds a bit like mites, when rabbits have a bad case of fur mites it will show as dandruff. Has he been frontlined recently?

It's defintly dead skin that is coming off in flakes through his coat. He hates being brushed and hates being combed more. Groomed him for an hour tonight to try to get most of it out. Getting the evils now from him :lol:

I did think it was something else untill i looked more closely at it. His coat is quite rough compared to my queen's coat. They get the same food and they both just love fish.

Thanks for both of your replies

BINBOB
24-Aug-09, 10:24

Iwould agree with this...it could be WALKING dandruff[MITES].best to have vet do bskin scraping to see if it is mites.am not one for chemicals on animals,but for mites,frontline does work quickly.best wishes.;)

Stefan
29-Aug-09, 11:29
If it's not mites it could have something to do with food.
I had the same problem with my dog for years until I changed to Burns Pet Nutrition (they do dog, cat and rabbit food these days). I tried every other food I could get hold of, but Burns was the only food that worked.

You can buy it online at burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk and I noticed that Geddes at the Ormlie Industrial Estate sells the dog food. Not sure about the cat food.

I can only highly recommend it, best food I have ever fed. Sorted a skin allergy for my other dog as well. Great stuff! (no, I don't work for them...)

Vistravi
29-Aug-09, 13:43
Thank you for all your replies.

Took him to the vet for a frontline and its defintly dead skin that is coming through his coat and falling off.

Had a go with the cod liver oil and it seems to be helping.

BINBOB
29-Aug-09, 17:51
Really hope it clears up soon.;)