PDA

View Full Version : What was the first record you bought?

neepnipper
29-Mar-06, 19:27
Mine was ' I love you love' by Gary Glitter (if only I'd known!), I was only about 6 and pestered my mum to buy it for me. Got a feeling my first album was either by the Wombles (cringe!!) or Madness.

pultneytooner
29-Mar-06, 19:32
eye level (the theme from van der valk):lol:

acameron
29-Mar-06, 19:34
"Can I get My Dingaling" I ask the mannie in the music shop.

obiron
29-Mar-06, 19:37
first record was "what your proposing" by status quo.

landmarker
29-Mar-06, 19:38
Cliff Richard & The Shadows - 'The Young Ones' on Columbia c.1961. About six bob.

First album was 'Please, Please Me' The Beatles on Parlophone for Thirty two and sixpence.

Billy Boy
29-Mar-06, 19:41
my first record was "under the moon of love" by showaddywaddy:roll:

changilass
29-Mar-06, 19:41
Substitute - Clout

obiron
29-Mar-06, 19:43
Cliff Richard & The Shadows - 'The Young Ones' on Columbia c.1961. About six bob.

First album was 'Please, Please Me' The Beatles on Parlophone for Thirty two and sixpence.

showing your age now landmarker. :lol: :lol:

golach
29-Mar-06, 19:52
My first was this one bought in Chicago summer of '58 by the Kingston Trio

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lake/4713/tomdooley.html

unicorn
29-Mar-06, 20:04
T'pau, china in your hand

erli
29-Mar-06, 20:07
Wild Boys by Duran Duran. [lol]

coastown
29-Mar-06, 20:25
if paradise is half as nice by the amen corner back in the swinging sixties

landmarker
29-Mar-06, 20:30
showing your age now landmarker. :lol: :lol:

I was only ten!
Anyway I'm proud of it - me age, that is.

landmarker
29-Mar-06, 20:32
My first was this one bought in Chicago summer of '58 by the Kingston Trio

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lake/4713/tomdooley.html

Hang down your head Tom Dooley?
Big fan of Lyndsey Buckingham who cites these as a major influence.

scorrie
29-Mar-06, 20:35
Mine was ' I love you love' by Gary Glitter (if only I'd known!), I was only about 6 and pestered my mum to buy it for me. Got a feeling my first album was either by the Wombles (cringe!!) or Madness.

Squeeze Me, Pleeze Me by Slade. Wah, wah

Last single I bought was Nessun Dorma, World Cup 90. Only fools and virgins buy singles now.

Ashes
29-Mar-06, 20:40
The first record I bought was, when a night has a thousand eyes, by Bobby Vee in 1963. Ashes

Billy Boy
29-Mar-06, 20:42
iron maiden. run to the hills.picture disc.which i still have

Sporran
29-Mar-06, 20:45

That Cliff Richard single was the very first record I bought too, lol! I was a big fan of Cliff's, even in my early primary school days! I remember seeing 'The Young Ones' at the Thurso cinema (the 'Picture House'), which is now Skinandi's. A couple of years later, I saw Cliff's 'Summer Holiday' there too. I had a crush on Cliff, then the Beatles came along, and he had to take second place to Paul McCartney! :lol:

scotsboy
29-Mar-06, 20:46
Hot Love by T-Rex

Whitewater
29-Mar-06, 20:56
"When the Saints come Marching in" by Louis Armstrong, Reflects my young days in the Salvation Army Band. I'm a trad jazz fan, and I guess, showing my age as well.

Tugmistress
29-Mar-06, 21:05
the first single i bought was black sabbath 'paranoid', the first album was meatloaf 'bat out of hell'.

weekweeker
29-Mar-06, 21:07
crazy thing called love Queen

WeeBurd
29-Mar-06, 21:12
True Blue (The Album) by Madonna... used vouchers for the music shop that I'd received as a Chrimbo pressie... I still have it somewhere - shame I ditched the record player along time ago :lol:

porshiepoo
29-Mar-06, 21:53
I don't remember the first I bought but I remember listening to my older sisters lps (I was about 10) and my favourite was 'War of the worlds' but I also loved the 'Bay City Rollers' (my favourite song was shanghai'd in love but it seems it's not available now) and I also remember someone singing ' Every clouds got a silver lining' and 'Bungles birthday' (a womble).

Right now I'm listening to the Rambo 1st blood song, the one thats right at the very end of the film. I remember rewinding the betamax video constantly to learn the words lol, I've just managed to find the song on the net and guess what ..... I remember every word. lol.

nancypotter45
29-Mar-06, 21:58
I don't remember the first I bought but I remember listening to my older sisters lps (I was about 10) and my favourite was 'War of the worlds' but I also loved the 'Bay City Rollers' (my favourite song was shanghai'd in love but it seems it's not available now) and I also remember someone singing ' Every clouds got a silver lining' and 'Bungles birthday' (a womble).

Right now I'm listening to the Rambo 1st blood song, the one thats right at the very end of the film. I remember rewinding the betamax video constantly to learn the words lol, I've just managed to find the song on the net and guess what ..... I remember every word. lol.

Song you love by Bay City Rollers is on their new cd with all their most popular hit songs on.

Julia
29-Mar-06, 22:01
My first single was 'Being with you' by Smokey Robinson, according to the net that was way back in 1981... ouch!

porshiepoo
29-Mar-06, 22:16
Song you love by Bay City Rollers is on their new cd with all their most popular hit songs on.

Seriously???? Which cd? I have the one that came out last year (I think) and I've looked on the net but I can't find 'Shanghai'd in love'.

Venture
29-Mar-06, 22:21
Mines was Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo. Can still remember going into Shearers Music Shop. I think it was 7/6d old money. Wow Im telling my age now!!!!!

Marty McFly
29-Mar-06, 22:31
my first record was "under the moon of love" by showaddywaddy:roll:

Hey...saw them in Inverness a couple of years ago...still a class act!

I had the misfortune of my first record being "Ernie, the fastest milkman" by Benny Hill! :lol:

lassieinfife
30-Mar-06, 00:51
pretty flamingo..... lived near lake navashia in kenya at the time ......plenty of flamingo's there

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Mar-06, 00:53
I Got You - Split Enz.

Gleber2
30-Mar-06, 01:57
Be Bop A Lula from Pat Boone in 1956.

2little2late
30-Mar-06, 11:42
The first record I bought was Whispering Grass by Don Estelle and Windsor Davies. :eek: :eek:

cookie
30-Mar-06, 14:35
The first record i bought was SO MACHO BY SINITTA:p

Naefearjustbeer
30-Mar-06, 15:08
The first record I bought was 12 gold bars volume I and II by status quo. I alre3ady had a few albums that had been given to me. I think the first one was a Troggs album then maybe a basil brush effort

squidge
30-Mar-06, 15:10
Puppy love by Donnie Osmond

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh

Sporran
30-Mar-06, 17:55

Squidge, have you heard Donny's updated version of Puppy Love? It's on his 'Somewhere in Time' album, which came out a couple of years ago. I think the song sounds even better in his more mature voice. :o) He also sings cover versions of songs made famous by other artists, and does so brilliantly! You can take a listen here. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LINS/qid=1143734633/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/002-5351208-9583237?s=music&v=glance&n=5174)

obiron
30-Mar-06, 18:38

not saying my taste is that great but its not a good tune. crazy horses is much better.[smirk]

clash67
30-Mar-06, 18:45
my first record was the theme tune of scooby doo(single), must have been late sixties early seventies, but soon got into mud, slade ,sweet and started nicking my sisters records..as ya do.

landmarker
30-Mar-06, 18:51
the first single i bought was black sabbath 'paranoid', the first album was meatloaf 'bat out of hell'.

I never really like Black Sabbath but 'Paranoid' was a fantastic track.

landmarker
30-Mar-06, 18:53
Mines was Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo. Can still remember going into Shearers Music Shop. I think it was 7/6d old money. Wow Im telling my age now!!!!!

... yer age that is. The music was infinitely better back then. You were lucky ! How much of todays' (yes, there will be a few exceptions) tripe will endure for thirty or forty years.
answer: not much.

connieb19
30-Mar-06, 18:57
My first single was the theme tune to The Pink Panther...:grin:

obiron
30-Mar-06, 19:18
... yer age that is. The music was infinitely better back then. You were lucky ! How much of todays' (yes, there will be a few exceptions) tripe will endure for thirty or forty years.
answer: not much.

youre right there landmarker. me and my sis were brought up listening to stuff like the rolling stones, dave clark 5, spencer davis group. my fave group is the beatles, also like stuff like buddy holly, monkees etc. often listen to 50s or 60s music.[lol]

tisme
30-Mar-06, 19:23
Donny Osmond 'Puppy Love' -
first album Status Quo 'Down the Dustpipe'

abalone
30-Mar-06, 20:08
The first record I bought was Tab Hunter singing Young Love.I played it on a wind up gramophone my brother had been given.I still have the gramophone box,I keep my Christmas decorations in it.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
30-Mar-06, 21:01
The first single I bought was ...."the birdie song"by the Tweets.The first album I bought was "Crises"by Mike Oldfield.

rich
31-Mar-06, 21:14
Elvis Presley: Jailhouse Rock/Treat Me Nice

2little2late
31-Mar-06, 21:18
The first single I bought was ...."the birdie song"by the Tweets.The first album I bought was "Crises"by Mike Oldfield.

Quite an apt title for an album after buying the Birdie song.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
31-Mar-06, 21:38
Quite an apt title for an album after buying the Birdie song.

I was young and no music taste at all.But putting Mike Oldfield aside,the Tweets were ACE!!!!!!.So were the Wombles.:lol: :lol: :lol:

airdlass
31-Mar-06, 22:44

Mine was also Puppy Love aswell as David Cassidy.
Does anyone remember the "Top of the Pops" LP's ? Used to think they were the real thing!