PDA

View Full Version : Hamnavoe

Lavenderblue2
23-Aug-09, 18:06
I've just looked out of my window to see the Hamnavoe approaching Scrabster from the Murkle Bay area - how odd - is anybody able to tell me why.

LMS
23-Aug-09, 18:10
The ferry sometimes takes a detour round Scapa Flow if the weather is bad. It is windy here in Wick so assume that may be why?

davem
23-Aug-09, 18:10
Hebridian Princess came in the same way. Hamnavoe came through scapa flow so it must be to avoid rough seas.

davem
23-Aug-09, 18:11
I was wondering if she'd be parking up on the dunes myself.

David Banks
23-Aug-09, 18:19
The St. Ola also used to make the crossing via Scapa if the seas around the Old Man were too high. Rerouting happened to me a couple of times in the summers of the fifties - the crossings took up to an hour longer.
Do you recall - was the Hamnavoe "running late" ?

davem
23-Aug-09, 18:21
Arrived bang on time.

Mystical Potato Head
23-Aug-09, 18:23
Sea doesn't look too bad but the tide may be a factor as well.Have gone down the flow route a few times without it being particularly rough.

Lavenderblue2
23-Aug-09, 18:24
The St. Ola also used to make the crossing via Scapa if the seas around the Old Man were too high. Rerouting happened to me a couple of times in the summers of the fifties - the crossings took up to an hour longer.
Do you recall - was the Hamnavoe "running late" ?

I'm not sure what time she was due into Scrabster but it was about 18.05 when I spotted it.
This wasn't the usual approach when it comes through Scapa - it looked as though it had been right into Dunnet / Murkle bay.

Mik.M.
23-Aug-09, 18:28
Tuggs told me Hamnavoe had been doing a cruise from Stromness this afternoon and was tying this in to get her back to her normal sailings.

davem
23-Aug-09, 18:37
http://www.shipais.com/shiptrail.php?mmsi=235449000

This gives the route she came in, she definitely came well into Dunnet Bay.

Lavenderblue2
23-Aug-09, 18:50
http://www.shipais.com/shiptrail.php?mmsi=235449000

This gives the route she came in, she definitely came well into Dunnet Bay.

Yes, I always look at the AIS Davem, I couldn't live without it with the outlook that I have.

Lavenderblue2
23-Aug-09, 18:53
Tuggs told me Hamnavoe had been doing a cruise from Stromness this afternoon and was tying this in to get her back to her normal sailings.

Well that explains things Miknhev, she was taking the scenic route. Thanks :)

Tugmistress
23-Aug-09, 19:19
She left stromness about 3.30pm this afternoon i believe it was, went around scapa flow and the coastguard helicopter from shetland did a winch man display around about the flotta area, they went around swona and stroma and went to see the swelkie, they hugged the caithness coast more than usual to try and take in the sights such as castle of mey etc, i saw them heading in to dunnet bay on my way to work. the cruise was in aid of the stromness lifeboat i think.

hope that answers your questions, and i'm sure if i've left anything out someone from the ship will correct me lol

stekar
23-Aug-09, 19:50
We saw it heading into Dunnet Bay, thought it was getting a bit too close. Seemed to turn rather sharply then head into Scrabster.

chef4celebrations
23-Aug-09, 20:11
Tickets still available for Scapa Flow cruise Tickets are still available for a cruise on mv Hamnavoe around Scapa Flow, via Scrabster, then returning to Stromness.
The cruise takes place on Sunday, boarding at 2.30pm and returning at 8.30pm.
Tickets will cost £20 for Adults and £10 for children, with all profits going to the Stromness Ladies Lifeboat Guild.
A two course meal and refreshments are included in the price, and there will also be entertainment, a lifeboat display, and raffles.
For more information, click here (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/rnli-cruise.html).

just for your info

Lavenderblue2
23-Aug-09, 20:23
She left stromness about 3.30pm this afternoon i believe it was, went around scapa flow and the coastguard helicopter from shetland did a winch man display around about the flotta area, they went around swona and stroma and went to see the swelkie, they hugged the caithness coast more than usual to try and take in the sights such as castle of mey etc, i saw them heading in to dunnet bay on my way to work. the cruise was in aid of the stromness lifeboat i think.

hope that answers your questions, and i'm sure if i've left anything out someone from the ship will correct me lol

Yes thank you Tuggs.

Tickets still available for Scapa Flow cruise Tickets are still available for a cruise on mv Hamnavoe around Scapa Flow, via Scrabster, then returning to Stromness.
The cruise takes place on Sunday, boarding at 2.30pm and returning at 8.30pm.
Tickets will cost £20 for Adults and £10 for children, with all profits going to the Stromness Ladies Lifeboat Guild.
A two course meal and refreshments are included in the price, and there will also be entertainment, a lifeboat display, and raffles.
For more information, click here (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/rnli-cruise.html).

just for your info

If Tuggs could forecast flat calm I might consider it Chef. :lol:

Tugmistress
23-Aug-09, 20:31
haha i didn't even know about it myself until the skipper told me this morning when i went up on the bridge!

must admit i wouldn't have minded doing the trip myself.

seadog
23-Aug-09, 21:14

You got it bang on Tugs.

Sea conditions were good for us today and we were just going the scenic route to berth in Scrabster for scheduled arrival of 1815. The cruise went very well with our suppliers sponsering everything from fuel to complimentary drinks. There were several members of the Stromness pipe band playing on the Sun Deck and other traditional music being played in the bar and longe.

The Coastguard helicopter did a winching exercise with both the Hamnavoe and Stromness lifeboat while we were in Scapa Flow.

All in it turned out a very good day.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Aug-09, 21:26
Now that's a trip I'm sick I missed out on. :(

Glad it all went well.

Mik.M.
23-Aug-09, 21:47
Do you think that they will do another but leaving from and returning to Scrabster?

Bobinovich
23-Aug-09, 21:51
Hey that sounds like a good idea - count me in!

Tugmistress
24-Aug-09, 06:48
i did ask the very same question to one of the northlink bods on board - who knows, maybe we'll get the chance one day?