PDA

View Full Version : What birds nest in ditches?

Liz
23-Aug-09, 13:37
I am asking this as last night whilst out for a walk I heard really high 'chirping' coming from a ditch and on closer inspection found a cat sitting in the ditch.

I shooed him away and went in to investigate but couldn't find anything but think there was a nest of some kind on the side of the ditch as the noise got louder the nearer I went.

As soon as I got out the cat went back in! So went off and collected a lot of whin bush branches which had broken off.
Then went back and got the cat out again and placed all around the nest and in the bottom of the ditch so the cat couldn't sit there.

As soon as I left the cat went back but came back out really quickly so must have stood on the whin branches!:lol:

I just wondered whether anyone could tell me what kind of bird it might be?

PS It may of course be some other kind of animal but not a rabbit as there was no burrow.

dragonfly
23-Aug-09, 14:27
dunnocks nest in hedgerows Liz, they are very similar to sparrows, it could have been one that was there

dunnock (http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/d/dunnock/index.asp)

Liz
23-Aug-09, 19:16
Cheers Dragonfly. This was actually in a ditch though.

Not even sure whether it was a bird? Hole wasn't big enough for rabbits though and wasn't mice.

All silent today and cat can't get into ditch so,hopefully, whatever they are they will be okay now.

tonkatojo
23-Aug-09, 19:30
I am asking this as last night whilst out for a walk I heard really high 'chirping' coming from a ditch and on closer inspection found a cat sitting in the ditch.

I shooed him away and went in to investigate but couldn't find anything but think there was a nest of some kind on the side of the ditch as the noise got louder the nearer I went.

As soon as I got out the cat went back in! So went off and collected a lot of whin bush branches which had broken off.
Then went back and got the cat out again and placed all around the nest and in the bottom of the ditch so the cat couldn't sit there.

As soon as I left the cat went back but came back out really quickly so must have stood on the whin branches!:lol:

I just wondered whether anyone could tell me what kind of bird it might be?

PS It may of course be some other kind of animal but not a rabbit as there was no burrow.

Well done LIZ that should stop the cat's bit of fun (evil creatures). :D

Liz
23-Aug-09, 19:41
Well done LIZ that should stop the cat's bit of fun (evil creatures). :D

Aw cats aren't evil! I love cats but love all animals so wanted to protect whatever bird/animals were in the nest.

Kevin Milkins
24-Aug-09, 09:49
Aw cats aren't evil! I love cats but love all animals so wanted to protect whatever bird/animals were in the nest.

It could have been a Stoat or Weasel Liz as they will make a racket if disturbed.

The only small bird I could think of is the Wren and it is past nesting time for them and not many this far north.

tonkatojo
24-Aug-09, 11:42

If my sons cats are an example they catch and torment any other little creature birds voles even moles play with them injure them then either kill them or get bored and leave them to suffer, sometimes eat them.

Liz
24-Aug-09, 12:52
It could have been a Stoat or Weasel Liz as they will make a racket if disturbed.

The only small bird I could think of is the Wren and it is past nesting time for them and not many this far north.

It might have been Kevin but not sure how big the hole to the 'burrow' would be?
There are wrens in that area but as you say it's past nesting time.

It was hard to tell whether it was a chirping noise or screaching!

Liz
24-Aug-09, 12:53
If my sons cats are an example they catch and torment any other little creature birds voles even moles play with them injure them then either kill them or get bored and leave them to suffer, sometimes eat them.

Och that doesn't make them evil! I know what you mean though and they can be very cruel with their prey.
Still nature can be very cruel can't it?

tonkatojo
24-Aug-09, 13:45
Och that doesn't make them evil! I know what you mean though and they can be very cruel with their prey.
Still nature can be very cruel can't it?

Aye your right, it is not only animals that are cruel. :(

sprint95m
24-Aug-09, 21:13

I think wrens are common in Caithness.
They nest everywhere from the built up areas of Wick, through the countryside and on the mountain slopes of Morven.
During the nesting season they are heard rather than seen, though.

Kevin Milkins
24-Aug-09, 22:16
They nest everywhere from the built up areas of Wick, through the countryside and on the mountain slopes of Morven.

I stand corrected sprint95m, I have not noticed any Wren (http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/wren/index.asp) since being here and they are one of my favorite small birds.

For there size they are very aggressive when you wonder onto there patch.

Liz
24-Aug-09, 22:49
I stand corrected sprint95m, I have not noticed any Wren (http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/wren/index.asp) since being here and they are one of my favorite small birds.

Kevin the only place I have seen them is on the track down to the river at Sibster and even then it's not been very often.

I wonder whether it was wrens then? It couldn't have been anything very big as there was only a tiny hole in the ditch.

I checked today and could a little 'cheep' when my dog barked so, hopefully, they are doing okay and the cat can't get back in due to the whin branches.:D

Kevin Milkins
24-Aug-09, 23:11
Kevin the only place I have seen them is on the track down to the river at Sibster and even then it's not been very often.

I wonder whether it was wrens then? It couldn't have been anything very big as there was only a tiny hole in the ditch.

I checked today and could a little 'cheep' when my dog barked so, hopefully, they are doing okay and the cat can't get back in due to the whin branches.:D

If you click on this link (Wren (http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/wren/index.asp) ) you can listen to the noise a wren makes, but it is more likely to be a stoat or weasel. I have seen a weasel go into a hole in a wall about the size of a finger nail.

tonkatojo
25-Aug-09, 08:05

Is it the feathered type that are your favourite ? :) ;)