PDA

View Full Version : Where did you?

shazzap
23-Aug-09, 13:33
I am looking into getting a dog, not a puppy as i do not want to have to house train it. Not because i am lazy or anything, because i can't be getting up and down now with having a disability, and we all know that is what you have to do with pups ( repetition ).

Well to the questions.

Where did you all get your pets from?

I have noticed that they are very seldom advertised in the paper or anywhere else come to that, like pets are in other parts of the UK.

Any thoughts on why that is the case. :)

veekay
23-Aug-09, 15:48
Can I suggest you are very carefull. Getting a 'second hand' dog ( no disrespect but I think everyone will know what I mean) does bring with it baggage. So the fact that it was perhaps house trained once doesn't mean it will be by the time you get it. Trauma even for dogs has its effects. You could try SSPCA but they won't be able to tell you much unless it is a dog from a good home that were unable to keep the dog.

Good luck

dousslesh
23-Aug-09, 16:40
I am involved in supporting an Animal Rescue charity. Although based ''Down South'' we were able to adopt our lovely little dog from them. The dogs rescued are fostered with experienced Foster's in their own homes and it is then therefore possible to assess the needs and ''personality'' of the dogs and match with the right owner. Their approach is if it's the right home for the dog, then distance is no object. ( Our little boy travelled up via a convoy organised by volunteers all the way from South Wales!)
There is a fee which covers the cost of Neutering, immunisation, and micro-chipping. No dog or Cat/ Rabbit /Hedgehog.... is ever turned away due to injury or illness regardless of the cost of veterinary fees.
As you can guess I am very impressed with the work of this Charity, but should add that there are a other animal rescue organisations who carry out the same dedicated and impressive work and at the end of the day The SSPCA also do the best they can for the animals in their care with the limited resources they have available to them.
If you would like details please PM me and I will happily give you contact details.

shazzap
24-Aug-09, 20:43
Can I suggest you are very carefull. Getting a 'second hand' dog ( no disrespect but I think everyone will know what I mean) does bring with it baggage. So the fact that it was perhaps house trained once doesn't mean it will be by the time you get it. Trauma even for dogs has its effects. You could try SSPCA but they won't be able to tell you much unless it is a dog from a good home that were unable to keep the dog.

Good luck

Thank you for your reply, i know all about how dogs can come with baggage and how trauma can affect them just like humans.
But i believe they can be rehabilitated given the correct bounderies and encouragement. I do not want a dog from the recue centres for that reason ( the toileting ) as once they have been put into kennels they can and usually do forget how to toilet outside if they have been there for a long time.

Liz
24-Aug-09, 22:31

Good luck

I can understand what you are saying but if everyone thought this way then none of the poor dogs in rehoming centres would get the loving home they deserve.

I am sure that the staff at these centres make a good job of assessing each dog and make sure the right dog does to the right home.

I think it is a wonderful thing to give a second chance to these poor dogs.

Shazzap I really can't see that toileting would be a problem as have heard of many people who have 'rescued' a dog and this hasn't been an issue.
You just need to train the dog as you would wherever you got it from.

shazzap
24-Aug-09, 22:36
I can understand what you are saying but if everyone thought this way then none of the poor dogs in rehoming centres would get the loving home they deserve.

I am sure that the staff at these centres make a good job of assessing each dog and make sure the right dog does to the right home.

I think it is a wonderful thing to give a second chance to these poor dogs.

Shazzap I really can't see that toileting would be a problem as have heard of many people who have 'rescued' a dog and this hasn't been an issue.
You just need to train the dog as you would wherever you got it from.

Lizz toileting a pup would be a problem for me as you have to be quick to get up when they do it and as we all know pups are always squatting. I would not be able to get up and down all the time and certainly not quickly.

veekay
25-Aug-09, 11:24
Liz I agree with what you are saying. My comments because of the requirement of no toilet training.

shazzap
25-Aug-09, 11:40
Liz I agree with what you are saying. My comments because of the requirement of no toilet training.

I do not see how anyone on the org can comment and say i am wrong about my situation and the issues i would have toileting a pup.

veekay
25-Aug-09, 19:42
I seem to be coming across all wrong.

My first reply was in the hope of giving a bit of good helpful advice. My second was to explain why I gave it - I wasn't trying to put people off getting a rescue dog I just thought given the original request a rescue dog wasn't the best dog as there are nearly always problems with rescue dogs all be it they can mostly be overcome. The original request was for a dog who wouldn't need house training hence not a rescue dog.

Clear as mud now and digging a hole fast.

shazzap
26-Aug-09, 12:57
I seem to be coming across all wrong.

My first reply was in the hope of giving a bit of good helpful advice. My second was to explain why I gave it - I wasn't trying to put people off getting a rescue dog I just thought given the original request a rescue dog wasn't the best dog as there are nearly always problems with rescue dogs all be it they can mostly be overcome. The original request was for a dog who wouldn't need house training hence not a rescue dog.

Clear as mud now and digging a hole fast.

LOL do you want to borrow a shovel :)