PDA

View Full Version : Midge bite allergy

Stefan
22-Aug-09, 18:10
Whenever I get bitten by midges I get an allergic reaction resulting in large red swollen areas that itch like hell. On the 2nd or 3rd day those bites blister and fluid appears where the bite was. They take 2-3 weeks to heal at the least and the first week they really itch.

I currently take 4 drops of oil of oregano (natural antihistamine and antiinflammatory) every 4-5 hours which helps with the itching and keeps the blisters down. Healing still takes ages and the itching returns in the middle of the night after about 6 hours after the last time I took the drops. I am already taking the highest dose.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with immunotherapy (desensitisation) with regards to midge bites (and horse fly bites).

Living in Caithness it seems impossible not to get stung by midges and it wouldn't bother me if I wasn't allergic.

Any help appreciated.

David Banks
22-Aug-09, 18:59
Sorry I don't have a cure to suggest other than moving as close as you can get to the north coast.
My (dimming with the passage of time) memory of Scarfskerry was that it was pretty much free of midjags due to its prevalent onshore breezes. Only in September do I remember midges down at Ruthie Goe when I was fishing for sellags, and only on the rare occasion when the wind would go absolutely calm in the late evening - then it was a brisk walk home.

WickWitch
22-Aug-09, 19:09
This article may be of interest.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/reality-bites-for-scotland-and-so-do-the-midges-553894.html

Snow White
22-Aug-09, 19:42
I get a really bad reaction to the bites also. I started using Witch Hazel, u can buy it in a gel form and its really good. Cools it down, stops the itch and heals them quickly :)
Good Luck

Kathy@watten
22-Aug-09, 19:49
Eat more garlic then they don't seem to like to bite...tho you may be a little socially excluded too but hey beats coming out in hives!

Highland lad
22-Aug-09, 20:52
My Wife is allergic to both midges and cleggs. The cleggs she trys to avoid but I am afraid there is not much you can do about the midges.

Although they don't seem to like sun cream much and some people say skin so soft from Avon works.

Tighsonas4
22-Aug-09, 21:40
My Wife is allergic to both midges and cleggs. The cleggs she trys to avoid but I am afraid there is not much you can do about the midges.

Although they don't seem to like sun cream much and some people say skin so soft from Avon works.
the clegg is a different kettle of fish and can give a really nasty bite tony

tonkatojo
22-Aug-09, 21:47
the clegg is a different kettle of fish and can give a really nasty bite tony

Aye and the crafty blighters are so soft when they land you do not know they have done their worst until the itch and swelling appear. :mad:

Stefan
22-Aug-09, 22:00
Sorry I don't have a cure to suggest other than moving as close as you can get to the north coast.
My (dimming with the passage of time) memory of Scarfskerry was that it was pretty much free of midjags due to its prevalent onshore breezes.

That's not an option. I bought land at Shurrery and I am going to build a house there eventually... inbetween dark clouds of blood sucking monsters...

This article may be of interest.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/reality-bites-for-scotland-and-so-do-the-midges-553894.html

I read it but I didn't find any information on the question I asked.

Eat more garlic then they don't seem to like to bite...tho you may be a little socially excluded too but hey beats coming out in hives!

Garlic does work, I tried it with my dogs. Unfortunately I am allergic to garlic also (and everything else that grows out of a bulb): I do take a B1 tablet every morning and certainly get bitten a lot less than last year.

I get a really bad reaction to the bites also. I started using Witch Hazel, u can buy it in a gel form and its really good. Cools it down, stops the itch and heals them quickly :)
Good Luck

Thank you. I will buy some and try it.

Cleggs are even worse, but fortunately I only got 2 bites this year so far. They aren't out as much as the midges....
Avon certainly helps but it makes me itch....

catran
22-Aug-09, 22:56
I do not like midgies either stefan and good gracious me, living at Shurrery, they love the dampness and bog and it is not near the coastal winds so you will have to find a cure quickly. They do love the damp and marshy grounds and they are awful. Good luck with your house building and getting rid of the MIDGES.

munchkin
23-Aug-09, 10:52
try the oil you get from avon i seem to sell a lot of it in summer

Stefan
23-Aug-09, 11:09
try the oil you get from avon i seem to sell a lot of it in summer

Like I said it makes me itch....

WickWitch
23-Aug-09, 14:13
I didn't actually say that it would answer your query, just that it may be of interest.
Vit B12 is said by some to prevent bites but I think that you have to take it for at least two weeks before the season starts and then keep taking it. Bog myrtle is supposed to be a repellent. Lager is supposed to make you appear more 'succulent' so if you are a drinker of such then perhaps a different tipple may help.
For any bites, burns or stings I use either bicarb of soda, anything acidic like vinegar or lemon juice or the flesh of aloe vera. It is all trial and error but I hope that you find something that works for you!

tonkatojo
23-Aug-09, 14:40
I didn't actually say that it would answer your query, just that it may be of interest.
Vit B12 is said by some to prevent bites but I think that you have to take it for at least two weeks before the season starts and then keep taking it. Bog myrtle is supposed to be a repellent. Lager is supposed to make you appear more 'succulent' so if you are a drinker of such then perhaps a different tipple may help.
For any bites, burns or stings I use either bicarb of soda, anything acidic like vinegar or lemon juice or the flesh of aloe vera. It is all trial and error but I hope that you find something that works for you!

Honestly WW I thought you of all folk would have had a potion or spell that worked, very disappointed. :( ;)

rupert
23-Aug-09, 17:16
Whenever I get bitten by midges I get an allergic reaction resulting in large red swollen areas that itch like hell. On the 2nd or 3rd day those bites blister and fluid appears where the bite was. They take 2-3 weeks to heal at the least and the first week they really itch.

I currently take 4 drops of oil of oregano (natural antihistamine and antiinflammatory) every 4-5 hours which helps with the itching and keeps the blisters down. Healing still takes ages and the itching returns in the middle of the night after about 6 hours after the last time I took the drops. I am already taking the highest dose.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with immunotherapy (desensitisation) with regards to midge bites (and horse fly bites).

Living in Caithness it seems impossible not to get stung by midges and it wouldn't bother me if I wasn't allergic.

Any help appreciated.

I too am allergic to many things, but luckily not midges. As much as things like oil of oregano may help, you probably should visit the docs and get a prescription. I also find that my immune system goes overboard sometimes and the doc says a course of antihistamines are needed to calm everything down.

Stefan
23-Aug-09, 17:59
I too am allergic to many things, but luckily not midges. As much as things like oil of oregano may help, you probably should visit the docs and get a prescription. I also find that my immune system goes overboard sometimes and the doc says a course of antihistamines are needed to calm everything down.

I agree with you on the immune system thing, however, oil of oregano is an antihistamine. You don't need to take prescribed chemicals, natural medicine is often just as good or even better.

I have asked my GP and he did tell me to take antihistamines, but he was fine with me doing it the natural way.

Apples also help. Eating 3-4 a day keep the hives down.

Still I am wondering if anybody has done any kind of immunotherapy. I would pay for it if I knew somebody trustworthy and knew I have a good chance for it to work.

WickWitch
23-Aug-09, 19:43
Honestly WW I thought you of all folk would have had a potion or spell that worked, very disappointed. :( ;)

I'd have to dance naked with strong capableyoung men at the new moon to cast my spell but I'm not sure that I could gather enough of the raw material and anyway the police seem to take more than a passing interest these days [lol]

tonkatojo
24-Aug-09, 08:40
I'd have to dance naked with strong capableyoung men at the new moon to cast my spell but I'm not sure that I could gather enough of the raw material and anyway the police seem to take more than a passing interest these days [lol]

Damn it,they'r always always there when not wanted.:roll: ;)

munchkin
24-Aug-09, 20:08
Like I said it makes me itch....

sorry didnt seem to of read you have used it opps!!!!!

Dadie
24-Aug-09, 20:12
Only thing left is to look silly with a midgie hat, long sleeved shirt with gloves and your socks tucked into your trouser legs!

Stefan
24-Aug-09, 21:54
Only thing left is to look silly with a midgie hat, long sleeved shirt with gloves and your socks tucked into your trouser legs!

I do that quite regularly, but the s still get into the odd crack. I have thought about having a full body midge net manufactured to size....

John Baikie
24-Aug-09, 22:22
but the s still get into the odd crack

...now that IS uncomfortable....

grandma
25-Aug-09, 12:34
I remember seeing gardeners on the West Coast with midge net shirts. You can get them on the internet. Not helping with your original question but might be of some use to you because living at Shurrery you're certainly going to need something.

Dadie
25-Aug-09, 14:57
I also have a little clicky thing that you put over the bites asap and it gives of a electric current when you click it which helps take away the itch and makes the bite go faster..... think I got it from the big chemist in Thurso but I have also seen them in Tescos in Wick.

Other than that I use anthisan cream and try not to claw at the spots as that is when you can get into a serious mess!

Stefan
26-Aug-09, 10:04
I have one of them click things as well, I bought it in Tesco in Wick. However, I never seem to have it to hand when I need it... Pinching the bite with your nail does the same thing though, it tricks your body into thinking no histamine is needed at the bite site and so the itching stops....

Try pinching your crack though.... especially in public... not a pretty thought, that one...

I always make sure I am well tucked in these days!

Also prohibitive: trousers with button fly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!