PDA

View Full Version : Miller and MacKay

kimhemingway
22-Aug-09, 05:33
Hi I am trying to trace our XX grandparents. Margaret M Miller b1867 and David Bruce MacKay b1865. They lived in Wales but came from the top of Scotland. In 1891 a Benjamin Miller b1873 lived with them in Wales. There children were born there. James, William, Jessie (Nettie), David WR, and Catherine. (our grandmother) They moved back to Scotland maybe Glasgow. Margaret died and after WW1 the boys and father imigrated to USA and girls went to New Zealand. Looking at the 1881 census the dates tie in for Margaret and Benjamin at Galchfield, Bower. Other Census's show it spealt Gershfield, Gulshfield. Can anyone confirm this or know anything.

Thanks Kim

Skifter
22-Aug-09, 08:45
Gelshfield as the area is now known is in the parish of Bower but goes under Halkirk as a postal address. Different spellings of places occur over the years on maps and documents. So this would tie in with the variations you mentioned

kimhemingway
22-Aug-09, 22:10
Thanks
Kim

kimhemingway
12-Sep-09, 02:39
I have being checking out Ellis Island records Margaret MacKay (nee Miller) living in Augus Bldgs, Castletown in 1920. By 1922 David Bruce MacKay was a widower when he immigrated to US. There was a son Benjamin 16 Miller MacKay immigrated 1922 student Castletown.
There other children who immigrated were (David) Wilson Raffen MacKay married Mary, children David and Elsie
William George Sinclair MacKay married Mary Learmont (father Thomas Learmont - Orkney) brother in law Robert Gordon
Can anyone tell me about this family.
Thanks