PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

gleeber
21-Aug-09, 22:42
Is anyone else watching the cricket? It could be good tomorrow. It's always possible it could finish tomorrow but maybe unlikely. It could even go the full 5 days although thats more unlikely.
Last time England won the Ashes the whole team won an MBE including one player who scored 14 runs over the whole series. That's no a lot for anyone who doesnt understand cricket.
Are feel good factors infectious?

Loch not Lock
22-Aug-09, 09:08
I've backed England at 5/1 for the fifth test so I'll be glued. Only rain can save the Aussies and that is highly unlikely.
Cricket comes third to horse racing and golf in my viewing choice.

Kenn
22-Aug-09, 09:54
Have to admit I too am following the cricket with great interest and should England win then yes, I think there would be alot of the feel good factor about.

Saveman
22-Aug-09, 10:01
They need to add another 100 at least to their lead today IMHO.....then there's the small matter of bowling the Aussies out again.....though doing that in the first innings was fairly straight forward.... ;)

Stilll a bit of cricket to be played before we count our chickens....

JimH
22-Aug-09, 14:34
Still a bit of cricket to be played, but England are now favorites.
The best thing about being retired is being able to watch and enjoy it - Win or Lose.

bobbyrussell09
22-Aug-09, 15:50
why do ppl watch cricket ,its so boring

Dusty
23-Aug-09, 00:59
I don't watch cricket as It's never really taken my fancy.
One thing that has intrigued me over the years though is why some matches are referred to as Test Matches.
Can anybody enlighten me? (might come in handy in a pub quiz:lol:).

Alan16
23-Aug-09, 01:17
@Dusty - I believe that it is suggested that the "Test" comes from the idea that it is a "test of strength and stuff" because it is the longest form of the game.

On to the test at the moment. Ignoring the fact that it is the second innings and that it is for the ashes, Australia have two days to get around 550ish. Australia are easily capable of getting that many runs in 150 overs (two days). England have two days to get 10 wickets. They are just as capable of doing that. Theoretically it could go either way, but it is the second innings and around 130 runs more than the highest ever run chase ever.

Personally, I'm a fan of cricket rather than either of the two teams, so I would like to see Australia get it. It would be one hell of a run chase.

Rheghead
23-Aug-09, 03:23
I can see England losing this from the jaws of victory.:lol:

tonkatojo
23-Aug-09, 18:28

Oh yea of little faith, six Oclock and alls well. :lol:

Loch not Lock
23-Aug-09, 19:04
Right again Rheghead. You should change your name to Egghead and get on television. I'll just throw away my betting slip on England to win at 5/1.:lol::lol:

Rheghead
23-Aug-09, 19:36
I'm glad to be proved wrong, yet again...:lol:

Loch not Lock
23-Aug-09, 19:44
I'm glad to be proved wrong, yet again...:lol:
Well replied. It takes a true hero to accept when they have erred.:)

Rheghead
23-Aug-09, 19:49
When Australia retired for 80-0 then that was when I made my dire prediction.

OK, I think England futba won't win the World Cup!:cool:

Amy-Winehouse
23-Aug-09, 21:33
When Australia retired for 80-0 then that was when I made my dire prediction.

No way they were going to screw it up , Harmison did well, I might see him in the pub next time im in his neck of the woods.

OK, I think England futba won't win the World Cup!:cool:

No, you are right- they wont

BINBOB
23-Aug-09, 21:45
nooooooooooooooo..1966 ...again!!!;)

Dusty
24-Aug-09, 18:59
@Dusty - I believe that it is suggested that the "Test" comes from the idea that it is a "test of strength and stuff" because it is the longest form of the game.

Thanks for that info Alan16.

golach
24-Aug-09, 19:42
I don't watch cricket as It's never really taken my fancy.
One thing that has intrigued me over the years though is why some matches are referred to as Test Matches.
Can anybody enlighten me? (might come in handy in a pub quiz:lol:).

I would say another explanation for the use of the word "Test" is

Test cricket is widely regarded as the ultimate measure of ability, ‘testing’ the strength of the best cricketing teams in the world.

PantsMAN
24-Aug-09, 20:02
I would say another explanation for the use of the word "Test" is
SNIP.

Well our noble Prime Minister certainly failed the test; he was able to venture a comment on the Ashes but has kept schtum about the release of a certain prisoner. Pip! Pip!

WickWitch
24-Aug-09, 20:11
Well done England. Great result

Alan16
24-Aug-09, 20:31
Well our noble Prime Minister certainly failed the test; he was able to venture a comment on the Ashes but has kept schtum about the release of a certain prisoner. Pip! Pip!

He says nothing he is criticised. He gives his opinion he'll probably be beheaded for butting in on Scottish politics.

PantsMAN
24-Aug-09, 22:01
Ah yes, but he is PM of Great Britain and there is just a smidgeon of world opinion being expressed about this foreign chappie (and the Ashes, - not off-topic:lol:).

Alan16
24-Aug-09, 22:11
I've forgotten how we got to discussing this on this thread?! Anywho, in my opinion leaving it to the SNP to muck up was the best way of doing it...