PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Bandstand in Sir John's Square

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-06, 04:14
It is with great delight that I can announce there will be a meeting held on Thursday to discuss plans to bring back the bandstand to Thurso's Sir John's Square. Not the Georgian one, unfortunately (I really miss it), but a brand new, permanent fixture that will provide a platform (literally) for the live arts. This is great news. The snag is getting people to make their voices heard and agree to bringing back a bandstand to the Square; the Square which once housed a bandstand within it for over 70 years. If you think this is a good idea - you'd be sad and crazy not to - please say so in this thread. We need your support.

Cheers!

theone
29-Mar-06, 04:24
Nice idea in principle.

Where in the square though?

You can't have it at the top because the statue would hide the band, and you can't have it at the bottm because of the war memorial.

Are you planning where the gala stand goes?

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-06, 04:27
I, personally, am not planning anything. I'll let the experts, currently working on the case, provide you with the answer to that one. So long as it's in the Square, however, I couldn't care less. The original bandstand was in there for 70 years an never obstructed any of the statues - or traffic.

Sporran
29-Mar-06, 05:50
It is with great delight that I can announce there will be a meeting held on Thursday to discuss plans to bring back the bandstand to Thurso's Sir John's Square. Not the Georgian one, unfortunately (I really miss it), but a brand new, permanent fixture that will provide a platform (literally) for the live arts. This is great news. The snag is getting people to make their voices heard and agree to bringing back a bandstand to the Square; the Square which once housed a bandstand within it for over 70 years. If you think this is a good idea - you'd be sad and crazy not to - please say so in this thread. We need your support.

Cheers!

Yaaay! That IS good news! I think it would be wonderful to have a permanent bandstand back in Sir John's Square! :grin: With so much local talent, it could be put to good use. I'd love to see another Georgian one like the original, but realise that's probably not possibe. A larger fixture would be more practical anyway, for today's needs.

unicorn
29-Mar-06, 09:33
excellent idea... high time we had soemthing more permanent than the once a year gala stand, there is lots of talent in Thurso just nowhere to show it off!

jay
29-Mar-06, 09:47
Yaaay! That IS good news! I think it would be wonderful to have a permanent bandstand back in Sir John's Square! :grin: With so much local talent, it could be put to good use. I'd love to see another Georgian one like the original, but realise that's probably not possibe. A larger fixture would be more practical anyway, for today's needs.

Am I right in thinking that parts of the old bandstand are still around the town? wern't some of the pillars used for the seating shelter in the gardens at the river or something?

do think it would be good to see the band stand back - never understood why they took it away in the first place

CFM
29-Mar-06, 09:49
would be happy to discuss the plans for a new band stand on the radio if someone would like to come in for an interview

Jeid
29-Mar-06, 10:01
I had this discussion the other night with someone. Why the Square?

I'm all for live music, but I reckon it'd be an bit of an eyesore in a potentially busy part of the town.

A temporary band stand that could easily be erected outside of the town hall, in that enclosed area which would be a bit more sheltered from the elements, would be better.

jay
29-Mar-06, 11:09
the area outside the town hall etc is a residential area as well and would probably cause more problems. the original site is easier to shut off roads and there is a permanent power supply to the gardens

Jeid
29-Mar-06, 11:20
This is true. But as I said, its also a busy junction, open to the elements with no toilets in close vicinity

Sianymo
29-Mar-06, 11:58
I think its a fab idea! If it was done tastefully then it wouldn't be an eyesore. A replica of the original would be good.

Jeid
29-Mar-06, 12:52
Hell, I'm all for it. Just hope they get it :)

unicorn
29-Mar-06, 13:18
There are toilets at the back of the church aren't there???

jay
29-Mar-06, 13:24
think those toilets were condemmed a couple of years ago, there are toilets down beside Maitland the painter tho' which arn't that far away

don't forget the town hall is closed and will be for about 2 years - may not be able to use it as a public toilet after that!

unicorn
29-Mar-06, 13:26
I never knew that!! shows how much attention I pay lol

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-06, 13:57
Oops. Appears I've ruffled a few feathers opening this thread. Sorry. Apparently discussions haven't taken place yet, and I'm a little premature in what I've said. My mistake. Was only passing on info given to me. Carry on orgsters, nothing to see here. Move along...

Jeid
29-Mar-06, 14:38
I may have the same mail that you got. Seems...determined.... he certainly did when he posted here too.

zebedy
29-Mar-06, 14:54
I'm all for Live music like much of you on the ORG.

A Band once a month ... In the pre-sink... Get a Lorry much like Estrella did a while ago with another band who i cant recal the name of!.. ASAP I think...
I think Live music is one thing of many that Caithness needs and could benifit from!

And another place, I think would be... Now I know this would work but power would be a problem, I'm not one for the electrcity part of things..

But the river side replicas. The Buss Park Lorry Park space there.. With a lorry there and a few bands once a month could be a hit... But in the end all depends on weather in the long run!... I mean It can blast out and not really annoy to many people...

As Jeid mentioned a band stand in the centre of town would be an eyesore when not used, for such a nice garden when in bloom...

The stand for the new year that I played on.. Was very small and way to cramped. The ammount of space for me climbing behind the drum kit was kinda shocking I think. Although the gig its self went down pritty go0d!..

One place for a gig that can provide is Skinnandis!.. I played there last saturday. Never have i played a better venue and had so much fun in the procses. The Stage is just right with everywere looking on you. Skins being an over 18 club though does limit, But i really think there should be moe local talent getting to play there!... But in agreement with many Its gotta be good talent if u know what I mean. What People want to here.

For example last saturday night

Kate Bain Band
BossHogg
Cyanide
Steve T Band
After Hours

I felt and judging from what the crowd had to say it went down a treat.

But what Caithness needs in all is a more livly music scene!!

:lol: Listen to me yatter on.. See what i come out with when is school hee hee

( and in the middle of writing this the fire alarm went off! )