PDA

View Full Version : CV advice please

Fluff
20-Aug-09, 18:05
I need some advice please. I am writing my CV (stressful!) and have got some conflicting advice with regards to past jobs. How far back should you put your employment history?
I have been working since I was about 16, and am 25 now. Should I put these past jobs in?
Thanks.

EDDIE
20-Aug-09, 18:18
I need some advice please. I am writing my CV (stressful!) and have got some conflicting advice with regards to past jobs. How far back should you put your employment history?
I have been working since I was about 16, and am 25 now. Should I put these past jobs in?
Thanks.

I would imagine you would have to go back at least 10 years min but given your age i would say u would have to put job history from 16 onwards.
Going by the question you have asked i get the impression u want to leave one or some of them out for reason?.
Sometimes its best just to tell it is it is because if u get the job and they find out u have missed out some parts of your job history your employer might take a dim view of it might think u are hiding something.
A lot of employer usually just asks your current employer for a refference i cant see them getting reference from them all unless your joining the police or army or something along those lines.
If u was a boss and looking at a c.v of a 25 year old were the job history starts at when u was 20 years old what would u think i would be curious on what u did from 16 to 20 and would probably ask the question at an interview?

Fluff
20-Aug-09, 18:25
Hmm good point, it was more that I am not sure if it was relevant and until my current job, I have not had a job where I have stayed for more than 12 months (I have been in my current job for just under 4 years) so I am worried they will look at the dates/jobs and think I can't stick a job. But I suppose it is better to have something than nothing!

EDDIE
20-Aug-09, 18:43
Hmm good point, it was more that I am not sure if it was relevant and until my current job, I have not had a job where I have stayed for more than 12 months (I have been in my current job for just under 4 years) so I am worried they will look at the dates/jobs and think I can't stick a job. But I suppose it is better to have something than nothing!

Fluff my c.v is like a phonebook when i was younger in my early twentys i changed jobs every 6 to 7 months as i have got older im more settled and stay at jobs longer i think its quite common for young people to chop and change jobs i think between 16 and 21 still a teenager growing up i think most people would understand that and if u have been in a job from age 21 to 25 that would indicate to me that your getting more settled in a job

WickWitch
20-Aug-09, 19:15
I think that the fact that you have been in your current job for four years says more about you than the fact that you have been in a few jobs. Make the CV as factual as possible with emphasis on the qualifications and experience that hold relevance to the post that you are applying for.
Employers do look at your hobbies too as it can help to make you seem a more rounded person.

viking
20-Aug-09, 19:59
Try to match your CV to the job spec as far as possible. Nowadays people (especially your age) have often had a wide range of jobs. This can be an advantage so play to your strengths. Always be honest otherwise you could land yourself in big trouble. Make sure your CV is spelt correctly, use decent paper and make it readable using bullets rather than long-winded paragraphs. Use Google for some advice and templates. Employers nearly always ask for references so make sure you've checked with them first to make sure they're willing to do one for you. Best of luck!

dragonfly
20-Aug-09, 20:25
I would match your CV as closely as possible to the job you are applying for and make sure you cover off all the skills they are looking for e.g. if they are looking for someone with organisational skills match your cv to that but also don't just make it up, you have a scenario ready to talk about (to sell yourself) if you are invited to an interview

with regards to past jobs I would say that if they don't relate to the job you are applying for then just list them as below

Aug 2006 - Mar 2007 This & That Shop Shop Assistant
Duties included serving customers, handling money, stocking shelves blah, blah, blah

doesn't need any more than that

As already mentioned make sure its spell checked and that capitals are used where they should be and that its no more than 1 or 2 pages long, pref 1 page

your CV is the 1st impression an employer is likely to have of you so you have to catch their attention with your CV if its all over the place, too long, not spell checked its doubtful you will be selected for an interview

Good luck!!

Penelope Pitstop
20-Aug-09, 22:23
Hi fluff, I would suggest making it as easy to read as possible. If it's just one big paragraph it becomes boring to read. Try to match your cv to the job you are applying for, i.e. highlight your specific skills that relate to the job you are applying for, play down the ones that are perhaps not quite so relevant. I would suggest a layout something like this:

Curriculum Vitae

Name: John Smith
Address: 1 Smith Stree, Smithy
Tel No: 0121123123
DOB: 20 August 1970
Nationality: British
NI No: NH 00 71 NH
Driving Licence: Full UK Driving Licence (if you have one)

Education
1975 - 1982
Such and Such Primary School

1985 - 1995
Such and Such Secondary School

Qualifications and Training
Standard Grade/A Levels: list them
Highers: list them

Any other training you've had list it here. e.g.

First Aid Course
1997 - Customer Relations Course, Such and Such College
1996 - Hydraulic Repairs Course, Such and Such College

Personal Profile
I am a hard working reliable, trustworthy individual who is quick to learn ...etc, etc. I work well on my own or as part of a team, etc, etc...... I am willing to work shifts, etc..... (get the idea)

Employment History
1997 - 1998
Corner Shop, That Street, Inverness
Position: Shop Assistant
Responsibilities included: dealing with members of the public, cash handling, stock taking, ordering, etc ... whatever

1996- 1997
A B Mechanics, That Street, Edinburgh
Position: Motor Mechanic
Responsibilities: diagnose faults, strip down and repair commercial vehicles. Hydraulics, etc, etc

References
Either list a past employer who you know will give you a good reference, or say "References available on request".

Remember, your out to market yourself as the best person for that job. Good luck. PP

_Ju_
21-Aug-09, 04:38
List your employment history from the most recent first. Place more detail on the most recent and simple list as you go on. The third page of a CV barely gets a glance. I would eliminate the unecessary such as primary education. In this day and age everyone had primary education of one sort or another.:D

Penelope Pitstop
21-Aug-09, 08:18
List your employment history from the most recent first. Place more detail on the most recent and simple list as you go on. The third page of a CV barely gets a glance. I would eliminate the unecessary such as primary education. In this day and age everyone had primary education of one sort or another.:D

Yes, most people have had primary education. However, if your just out of school in say the last 5 years I would stick it in....it will fill out your CV a bit if you've not much to put in it yet. :D

rob1
21-Aug-09, 10:28
I think it depends on what the job is. There is little point of listing all your standard grades, just put what grades you got unless there is something specific you want to highlight. Listing all your previous jobs is pointless too. I would put the job you are in and any others where you have gained experiance that can be applyed to the job you are looking at. If your CV is over 2 pages you have too much info.

Another thing, please please please do not start your CV with "Curriculum Vitae". The person whom it is for will know what a CV is, there is no point in stating the obvious.

badger
21-Aug-09, 10:40
Sorry I have to completely disagree with rob. It is standard practice to put Curriculum Vitae at the top and you should definitely list all your previous jobs. In fact follow exactly what Penelope has listed (I think she and I have had similar training!). The only thing I would add is Leisure Interests as these complete the picture.

If possible get someone else to proof read it for you. It's almost impossible to spot all your own mistakes and not worth risking.

Penelope Pitstop
21-Aug-09, 11:33
I think it depends on what the job is. There is little point of listing all your standard grades, just put what grades you got unless there is something specific you want to highlight. Listing all your previous jobs is pointless too. I would put the job you are in and any others where you have gained experiance that can be applyed to the job you are looking at. If your CV is over 2 pages you have too much info.

Another thing, please please please do not start your CV with "Curriculum Vitae". The person whom it is for will know what a CV is, there is no point in stating the obvious.

I totally disagree that "Listing all your previous jobs is pointless". Employment gaps don't look very good on a CV.

This is all just my opinion in what I look for when I get a CV in.

I've had quite a few in with a small snap shot of themselves in the top right hand corner - personally I like that...helps remember the name when you've seen the face.

rob1
21-Aug-09, 12:13
For me, listing all job would not be productive, it would waste space where I would be able expand and demonstrate my transferable skill and suitability for the job. Once stating the job, date, what my responsibilities were etc. my CV would go on for at least 3 pages if I did and that is way too long. Writing about a holiday job that I had when I was 17 just wastes space and not applicable to the work I do now.

As for Badger saying it is standard practice to put "Curriculum Vitae" at the top of the page, not a single book/website/careers advisor has advised me to put it in. They all advise to start with your name. In fact most of them have putting “curriculum vitae” first in their "do not" section. The reason for this is that if someone is flicking through 100 CV trying to find one, it makes it very difficult to locate it if they all have "curriculum vitae" on the top left corner. It is much easier to find if it has someone's name instead, also if it is standard and 99 of the CV have Curriculum Vitae on it and yours just has your name, then you stand out from the crowd already!

ter21wat
22-Aug-09, 10:18
I would say you need to include all your previous employment as future employers may query any gaps in your employment history with you and you would then need to explain anyway.
I would also suggest having your name in bold at the top of the page rather than curriculum vitae as it will stand out to the employer and help them remember your name and CV.
Also after your name and details its usful to have your 'objective' where you can right a short paragraph detailing what you are looking for ie, 'a challenging new career opportunity', and any atributes you feel would make you ideal for the advertised position. This part can then be changed to be tailored towards each job you apply for without having to rewrite your whole CV. Under this i would have 'Key Skills' and bullet point things such as 'communication skills', 'self motivated' etc, etc. Then i would list employment history, education, interests and references.
I have always been advised to keep CV's brief and to the point, detailing what is relevant to the job being applied for - no more than two A4 pages as after that it jsut gets boring.
Your cover letter is also important as again it is a chance to tell the employer why you feel you are right for the job. Remember to always be positive and you 'I am' and 'I know' rather than 'I think' or 'I feel'.
If you are struggling contact the careers office who will offer you free advice and will help you put your CV together, you should find them in the phonebook.

Ricco
25-Aug-09, 14:56
Thanks.

Well, Fluff, I had a surprise two days ago. I am changing jobs and am some 30 years older than you... yet they still wanted details of my first jobs.

:eek:

badger
25-Aug-09, 15:12
As for Badger saying it is standard practice to put "Curriculum Vitae" at the top of the page, not a single book/website/careers advisor has advised me to put it in. They all advise to start with your name. In fact most of them have putting “curriculum vitae” first in their "do not" section. The reason for this is that if someone is flicking through 100 CV trying to find one, it makes it very difficult to locate it if they all have "curriculum vitae" on the top left corner. It is much easier to find if it has someone's name instead, also if it is standard and 99 of the CV have Curriculum Vitae on it and yours just has your name, then you stand out from the crowd already!

If an employer has 100 CVs coming in and can't manage to put them in alphabetical order as they arrive he needs a secretary :eek:

EDDIE
25-Aug-09, 18:34
What annoys me is going to the extent of filling in a c.v with all your job history and then the company that you ar applying for a job still wants u to fill in a application form thats what winds me up its suprising how long it takes to fill out an application form especially if u have a big job history to write up.

Fluff
25-Aug-09, 19:53
Lol Ricco, can't win eh! Good luck though.

Well thank you everyone for all your input. I think I am just about finished with it, I will let you know how it goes!

Blast!
26-Aug-09, 15:27
Thanks.

Don't put Curriculum Vitae at the top - put your name instead.
Don't include your NI number - you'll provide that when you get the job.
Don't need to put your DOB - age discrimination and all that.
Don't need nationality - race discrimination etc.
Don't need to list your reference - just put "References available on request."
DO NOT exceed two sheets of A4. I'd recommend printing double sided - ensures the second page doesn't get lost.
Don't print it on stupidly fancy scented paper or any other crap - good quality thick paper is fine.
Don't start a bullet point list with only two items...

Probably start with your employment history with newest first. Then do your eduction history and/or any other qualifications.
Possibly even precede all this with a wee personal profile.

Oh and have a look at http://resumehell.blogspot.com/ to see what stupid mistake some people make.

Oh and if you put your e-mail address on don't have something like xx_sexypants_xx@hotmail.com, they will look at it and think you're a .

Is this good advice? I dunno, I've just made it all up.