PDA

View Full Version : lockerbie bomber freed

Tom Cornwall
20-Aug-09, 13:58
so, they took the easy option and set the bomber free...kenny mackaskill said that he had only 3 months to live...are they going to be able to check when/that this actually happens...if he makes a miraculous recovery, is the Scottish justice minister going to stand up and apologise, or will he blame the doctors...I hope that when he lives longer than 3 months, kenny mackaskill gets the sack...that would be justice

buddyrich
20-Aug-09, 14:12
Yeah, i dunno if this is a good idea. I think you'd struggle to find someone who would agree that being compassionate to the man is what macaskill should be doing. If he's going to die really very soon then i suppose it's neither here nor there.

The real villian of the whole spectacle is tony blair. Regardless of the compensation money paid, why on earth re-establish diplomacy with libya in '04 when clearly it was a libyan government operation to blow up the plane. Invade iraq, yet make friends with libya? It's staggering that people dont seem that bothered. Megrahi might well have been involved but he's ultimately just the fall guy. Like Lee Harvey Oswald, he couldnt have been acting alone.

scorrie
20-Aug-09, 15:54
so, they took the easy option and set the bomber free...kenny mackaskill said that he had only 3 months to live...are they going to be able to check when/that this actually happens...if he makes a miraculous recovery, is the Scottish justice minister going to stand up and apologise, or will he blame the doctors...I hope that when he lives longer than 3 months, kenny mackaskill gets the sack...that would be justice

This post is ridiculous Tom. Are you going to put the man on a timer and have a good moan about it if he doesn't die in exactly three months?

How much do you know about the man's state of health?

Making a prognosis for the survival time of cancer sufferers is not an exact science and patients sometimes live beyond the forecast time scale.

As I predicted, when I heard that Megrahi had dropped his appeal, he is now free. The whole episode stinks of him carrying the can for higher authorities. In all probability families will never know the truth about who is truly responsible because of Political wangling.

changilass
20-Aug-09, 16:00
If he is guilty he should have been left to rot and if he is innocent then they should have an appeal with new evidence and let him free.

This is stupidity at its best.

I know they say the law is an ass but did they really need to prove it.

cuthill
20-Aug-09, 16:17
Did he show any compassion to the people on the flight or there families who had to cope afterwards LET HIM ROT.

coppertop 1958
20-Aug-09, 16:29
all has to do with uk getting more oil

NickInTheNorth
20-Aug-09, 16:32
Yeah, i dunno if this is a good idea. I think you'd struggle to find someone who would agree that being compassionate to the man is what macaskill should be doing. If he's going to die really very soon then i suppose it's neither here nor there.

The real villian of the whole spectacle is tony blair. Regardless of the compensation money paid, why on earth re-establish diplomacy with libya in '04 when clearly it was a libyan government operation to blow up the plane. Invade iraq, yet make friends with libya? It's staggering that people dont seem that bothered. Megrahi might well have been involved but he's ultimately just the fall guy. Like Lee Harvey Oswald, he couldnt have been acting alone.

I don't really have any issue with him being released on compassionate grounds, 3 months to live - do you really think he'll be carrying out any more bombings in that time?

As to the contrast between the treatment of Libya and Iraq, ironically the governments motive for both re-establising diplomatic relations with one and invading the other is one and the same.

Oil!

coppertop 1958
20-Aug-09, 16:36
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/copperetop/Lockerbie_disaster_memorial.jpg

Tom Cornwall
20-Aug-09, 16:38
I don't really have any issue with him being released on compassionate grounds, 3 months to live - do you really think he'll be carrying out any more bombings in that time?
!

some one Twittered that he'd now have 3 months to organise a suicide bombing

scorrie
20-Aug-09, 16:42
some one Twittered that he'd now have 3 months to organise a suicide bombing

I suspect they were talking out of their "Twitter" ;)

scorrie
20-Aug-09, 16:44
Did he show any compassion to the people on the flight or there families who had to cope afterwards LET HIM ROT.

This extract is from The Guardian website:-

"You give no details of the weakness of the decision against Abdelbaset al-Megrahi over the Lockerbie outrage (Transatlantic split over plans to free Libyan jailed for Lockerbie bombing, 14 August). The US and Britain violated international law by ignoring the Montreal Convention of 1971, the principal legal instrument in the case, which stipulated that the two suspects be tried in Libya.

That the subsequent, illegal court proceedings did not establish Megrahi's guilt beyond reasonable doubt is well shown by Lord Sutherland's own judicial summation: "On the matter of identification [by key witness Tony Gauci] … there are undoubtedly problems … In relation to certain aspects of the case, there are a number of uncertainties and qualifications … In selecting parts of the evidence which seem to fit together and ignoring parts which might not fit, it is possible to read into a mass of conflicting evidence a pattern or conclusion which is not really justified."

Before the trial, Tony Gauci was feted by the police, taken to Aviemore, taken fishing for salmon, and put up at the Hilton hotel in Glasgow – none of which was revealed to the judges in the Zeist court. Professor Robert Black of Edinburgh University said he knew of no other Scottish murder trial witness being taken on fishing trips by police. Nor were the judges told that on the day of the bombing there had been an unexplained break-in in the Heathrow baggage area. The court verdict was a shameful political verdict under US pressure."

bigskelf
20-Aug-09, 16:45
As I mentioned earlier, it seemed his appeal could have been more embarrassing than letting him go on compassionate grounds. So now we'll never know. If anybody can be bothered checking the evidence, it strikes me that strongest a jury would have gone for would have been "not proven".
It's funny how everybody seems to have forgotten the 290 passengers and crew killed when the USS Vincennes shot down Iran Air Flight 655 five months earlier. Without getting into the technicalities of that incident it does look like a extremely good motive for a revenge attack[disgust]

wickscorrie
20-Aug-09, 16:45
i wish when a prison sentence was handed out, the time given should be the term served, and no appeal on medical grounds, if the person is convicted then their crime and subsequent sentence removes the need for compassion, if they wanted compassion they should have though about that at the time they committed the crime.
but this should apply for all crimes a year is a year not 3 months for good behaviour, they weren't good in the first place
but then i also wish it was a life for a life

this case smacks of too much string pulling.

shame the scottish minister gave in

Messi10
20-Aug-09, 16:47
http://www.lockerbietruth.com/

cuddlepop
20-Aug-09, 16:49
This has been done for reasons way beyond compassionate grounds.

Who would you rather upset Libya or America?,that was the real question.

It would appear that Oil reserves are more important than justice,thats the real tradegy about this case.:~(

Gene Hunt
20-Aug-09, 16:50
This extract is from The Guardian website:-

"You give no details of the weakness of the decision against Abdelbaset al-Megrahi over the Lockerbie outrage (Transatlantic split over plans to free Libyan jailed for Lockerbie bombing, 14 August). The US and Britain violated international law by ignoring the Montreal Convention of 1971, the principal legal instrument in the case, which stipulated that the two suspects be tried in Libya.

That the subsequent, illegal court proceedings did not establish Megrahi's guilt beyond reasonable doubt is well shown by Lord Sutherland's own judicial summation: "On the matter of identification [by key witness Tony Gauci] … there are undoubtedly problems … In relation to certain aspects of the case, there are a number of uncertainties and qualifications … In selecting parts of the evidence which seem to fit together and ignoring parts which might not fit, it is possible to read into a mass of conflicting evidence a pattern or conclusion which is not really justified."

Before the trial, Tony Gauci was feted by the police, taken to Aviemore, taken fishing for salmon, and put up at the Hilton hotel in Glasgow – none of which was revealed to the judges in the Zeist court. Professor Robert Black of Edinburgh University said he knew of no other Scottish murder trial witness being taken on fishing trips by police. Nor were the judges told that on the day of the bombing there had been an unexplained break-in in the Heathrow baggage area. The court verdict was a shameful political verdict under US pressure."

If the Guardian wrote that the Pope was Jewish would you believe that as well ??

That paper is a left leaning establishment that used to be known as the Granuiad in recognition of its inability to even SPELL its stories properly.

Messi10
20-Aug-09, 16:57
Could the CIA have planted the timer fragment that pointed to Libya?
The discovery of a fragment of circuit board from a timer made by a Swiss company with links to Libya was critical to the prosecution. But accounts of how, where and by whom it was found varied. The original fragment was found several miles from the wreckage, and some weeks after the disaster.

It was not until very much later that the CIA claimed to have identified it and matched it with a circuit board manufactured by Mebo of Zurich, a company run by Edwin Bollier, who had supplied timers to the Libyan Government. Some experts have argued that the find was just a bit too convenient to the US investigators, since, by targeting the Libyans, they could avoid falling out with Iran and Syria, important allies at the time of the Gulf War. So could the CIA have planted the evidence? “I don’t know,” says Lord Fraser. “No one ever came to me and said, ‘Now we can go for the Libyans’, it was never as straightforward as that. The CIA was extremely subtle. For me the significant evidence came when the Scottish police made the connection with Malta.” Pressed for his own view, he cites a Scottish murder case, that of Patrick Meehan, in which, it was alleged, the prosecution case had been “improved” by the planting of evidence. Was there a similarity? “I don’t know,” he said again, “but if there was one witness I was not happy about, it was Mr Bollier, who was deeply unreliable.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5367536.ece (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5367536.ece)

Messi10
20-Aug-09, 17:02
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/ju...ics.lockerbie1 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/ju...ics.lockerbie1)

Another of the scientists who gave evidence in the trial, Dr Thomas Hayes, was involved in the case of the Maguire Seven, imprisoned in 1976 for handling explosives shortly after the Guildford bombings. They also won their appeal after major flaws in forensic science.

You do know that there a guy in Jail in Germany who's group planted bomb in Frankfurt killing US Squaddies and who were found to have identical bomb and explosives to those on the Pan Am flight has admitted it was his group that did it ?

Or that one of the forensic experts who evidence also gave evidence in the Maguire 7 trial (subsequently found to be complete nonsense) ?

Or that the guy who 'identified' Megrahi only did so after a dozen contradictory statements and after $1.5M were transferred into his account ?

PantsMAN
20-Aug-09, 17:07
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/ju...ics.lockerbie1 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/ju...ics.lockerbie1)
Another of the scientists
SNIP
into his account ?

We know your post is important but please, try not to shout. :confused

Gene Hunt
20-Aug-09, 17:18
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4024/tinfoilhatw.jpg

PantsMAN
20-Aug-09, 17:21
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4024/tinfoilhatw.jpg
the link doesn't appear to work and returns this
http://10.134.108.4:15871/cgi-bin/blockpage.cgi?ws-session=3892315771

:~(

scorrie
20-Aug-09, 17:24
If the Guardian wrote that the Pope was Jewish would you believe that as well ??

That paper is a left leaning establishment that used to be known as the Granuiad in recognition of its inability to even SPELL its stories properly.

Pretty poor debating Gene. You can rip the piss out of any newspapers you want to but the fact remains that the man's conviction is highly suspect. My head doesn't button up the back and I expected that you would have worked that out by now.

Where do you get your AUTHENTIC news from then? If we can't believe what we read, hear or see we are all really only operating with our heads up our arse.

Please form suitable anagram of "The Times" for comic effect here:-

I'll give the first half to help:-

"Meet _ _ _ _" ;)

ps The section I quoted from The Guardian was written by Geoff Simons - Author of Libya and the West

Gene Hunt
20-Aug-09, 17:51
Pretty poor debating Gene. You can rip the piss out of any newspapers you want to but the fact remains that the man's conviction is highly suspect. My head doesn't button up the back and I expected that you would have worked that out by now.

Where do you get your AUTHENTIC news from then? If we can't believe what we read, hear or see we are all really only operating with our heads up our arse.

Please form suitable anagram of "The Times" for comic effect here:-

I'll give the first half to help:-

"Meet _ _ _ _" ;)

ps The section I quoted from The Guardian was written by Geoff Simons - Author of Libya and the West

Well thats me convinced. Geoff Simons wrote a book called Libya and the West. Wow.

Journalists would fornicate with a snake if someone would only hold it straight for them. They are, in the vast majority, the scum of the earth. I saw enough of them write a completly different version of events to what actually happened six feet in front of their face to suit what their editor wanted. So forgive me if I believe that they dont give a fig about anything or anyone .. as long as they get their scoop. I dont really read any of the UK papers. I tend to get my News from Reuters.

The fact is that only one person knows if he did it or not, and thats him. Suddenly though all these people who were never involved on the case are suddenly experts and all because they read someone elses view. Those are the people with their head up their arse as you so put it.

I dont do anagrams. But seeing as you are so keen on them I will solve yours for you. The missing four letters is what you need to take your head for.

neilsermk1
20-Aug-09, 19:44
Cant help but notice the deafening silence from Downing Street.

bigskelf
20-Aug-09, 20:16
Gene seems to feel that any intelligent questioning of his gut reaction can only from woolly minded liberals or conspiracy nutters. Strange since I usually find myself debunking most conspiracy theories. But sadly he seems unwilling or unable to actually bother to check up on details or uncomfortable facts that don't agree with his world view. He seems to enjoy deliberately provoking the people he doesn't like (those who don't agree with him) then his first defense is "I'm only having a joke" before getting down to his real agenda.
Don't bother attacking me Gene I've seen bullies like you in forums all too often. After seeing the level of your intellectual capabilitiesI realised there was little point in even trying to debate with you and so put your name in my ignore list.
The point is Gene likes to vent his spleen, if you agree with him, fine. If you don't, don't let him wind you up.
Just add him to your ignore list and move on.

upsydaisy
20-Aug-09, 21:29
he,s now gone home a hero, whats stopping him plotting more distruction and killing i agree with previous orger that a sentence should be fully served no matter what.

scorrie
20-Aug-09, 21:40
Well thats me convinced. Geoff Simons wrote a book called Libya and the West. Wow.

Journalists would fornicate with a snake if someone would only hold it straight for them. They are, in the vast majority, the scum of the earth. I saw enough of them write a completly different version of events to what actually happened six feet in front of their face to suit what their editor wanted. So forgive me if I believe that they dont give a fig about anything or anyone .. as long as they get their scoop. I dont really read any of the UK papers. I tend to get my News from Reuters.

The fact is that only one person knows if he did it or not, and thats him. Suddenly though all these people who were never involved on the case are suddenly experts and all because they read someone elses view. Those are the people with their head up their arse as you so put it.

I dont do anagrams. But seeing as you are so keen on them I will solve yours for you. The missing four letters is what you need to take your head for.

Pathetic response. You are spouting a load of nonsense and have nothing to say apart from criticising everyone but yourself. I had thought you might have possessed some understanding and intelligence but you are clearly a loud mouthed bully boy trying to catch the attention of those who think that forums should be vigorous arenas where insults replace any reasoned thought.

You are, in fact, utterly incorrect in stating that Megrahi is the only person who knows whether he did it or not. If he DIDN'T do it, someone else must have and by that very simple logic, they ALSO know that Megrahi didn't do it. Seemples!!

I haven't read Libya and The West, so I cannot comment on the quality of the book. I would be willing to bet, though, that the author knows a lot more about the topic than you do, although that, admittedly, would not take a lot of doing.

I saw your spat with Percy T and where that went on both sides. I am therefore not going to be further involved in any discourse with you on any topic. You are not worth bothering with, just an annoying noise for ignoring as it rattles around like a pea in a whistle.

Penelope Pitstop
20-Aug-09, 21:50
he,s now gone home a hero, whats stopping him plotting more distruction and killing i agree with previous orger that a sentence should be fully served no matter what.

Upsydaisy, I too wonder what response he will receive on his return home. There appears to be much, much more to this case than meets the eye. I do feel very sorry for the families of the victims.

purplelady
20-Aug-09, 22:58
Did he show any compassion to the people on the flight or there families who had to cope afterwards LET HIM ROT.here here could not have put it better myself x

hunter
20-Aug-09, 23:02
If you look back recent history, you'll find that a warming occurred in relations between US/UK and Libya after Libya abandoned its nuclear programme. The prisoner transfer agreement fell into place after that.

How anyone can call this an "easy" decision is beyond me. You elect politicians to make difficult decisions like this.

I doubt if we will ever get to the bottom of all that went on before and after the bomb. There are so many conspiracy thoeries.

I read one the other day. Earlier in 1988, the US Navy shot down an Iranian airbus full of passengers over the Gulf. There was no apology from the US, but a tacit agreement subsequently fostered by intermediaries that Iran would be allowed to destroy one US aircraft to even things up. The Iranians used their allies in the Syrian terrorist network to exact revenge.

According to the theory, this explains why certain individuals valued by the US Government were advised to steer clear of certain flights over several days in the run-up to Xmas 88. Other individuals whom the US government felt no warmth towards did not receive such advice.

No idea if any of that is true, but it makes for a good story.

On balance, I'm minded to accept the compassion argument. To be honest, if it upsets the americans, i couldn't care less. They have a very right-wing attitude towards convicts.

oldmarine
20-Aug-09, 23:05
If you had any kin tied in with that flight I'm certain you would have negative feelings of him going free.

Tubthumper
20-Aug-09, 23:15
I wonder how far we (Scotland) would get if we tried to interfere in US legal decisions? And precisely how much support did the US government ever give the UK over known IRA terrorists/ murderers living the dream in the USA? Never mind the conspiracy theories, the USS Vincennes/ Iran Air incident is a grand example of arrogant people in glass houses forgetting that throwing stones is a bad idea.
Mind your own business say I.
And good for you Kenny Macaskill.

golach
20-Aug-09, 23:19
I wonder how far we (Scotland) would get if we tried to interfere in US legal decisions? And precisely how much support did the US government ever give the UK over known IRA terrorists/ murderers living the dream in the USA? Never mind the conspiracy theories, the USS Vincennes/ Iran Air incident is a grand example of arrogant people in glass houses forgetting that throwing stones is a bad idea.
Mind your own business say I.
And good for you Kenny Macaskill.

Tubs, I am in full agreement, people in glass houses should not throw stones!!!

buddyrich
20-Aug-09, 23:22
Macaskill just got put through the mangle by paxman.

If nothing else the controversy over the ruling will hopefully show people how totally unqualified the snp government is in handling major decisions. Whether the release is right or wrong, they've made a total hash of it.

Interesting how quiet our wine-guzzling swine of a first minister is over this. He doesnt usually miss the chance to appear on tv. Unless it's over a hugely unpopular decision which he'll no doubt be at pains to distance himself from.

tonkatojo
20-Aug-09, 23:22
Cant help but notice the deafening silence from Downing Street.

I think they all went to sleep the length of time it took Kenny Macaskill to get to the punchline that being "released on compassionate grounds", man did he know he had an audience.

Tubthumper
20-Aug-09, 23:24
Whether the release is right or wrong, they've made a total hash of it.

Explain????

tonkatojo
20-Aug-09, 23:24
Macaskill just got put through the mangle by paxman.

If nothing else the controversy over the ruling will hopefully show people how totally unqualified the snp government is in handling major decisions. Whether the release is right or wrong, they've made a total hash of it.

Interesting how quiet our wine-guzzling swine of a first minister is over this. He doesnt usually miss the chance to appear on tv. Unless it's over a hugely unpopular decision which he'll no doubt be at pains to distance himself from.

He will be roamin in the gloamin with the munchkin. ;)

buddyrich
20-Aug-09, 23:26
I think they all went to sleep the length of time it took Kenny Macaskill to get to the punchline that being "released on compassionate grounds", man did he know he had an audience.

Ha! Aye he sure did. Maybe he anticipates the end of his political career and thought he'd bask in the attention for as long as he could.

crayola
20-Aug-09, 23:27
so, they took the easy option and set the bomber free.Au contraire, Kenny MacAskill took a brave decision because he will now have the relations of the victims and the Obama/Clinton administration breathing down his neck and calling for his blood.

The easy option would have been to dismiss the calls to set the bomber free by citing both the severity of the crime and his wish to conclude the second appeal so that justice would be seen to be done.

Kenny MacAskill may be many things but he is his own man and I respect him for that, even though on balance I'm not sure I would have made the same decision.

Tubthumper
20-Aug-09, 23:31
Maybe it's our ability to be compassionate that sets us apart from the common bomber. The US is undoubtably up in arms, but I wonder what the rest of the world is thinking of Scotland... they're not US lapdogs perhaps?
We're supplying plenty of support and material for US adventures in the wider world, specifically the 'war on terror'. If the US is genuinely pyssed off with us, perhaps they should seek to remove our troops from their order of battle in Afghanistan?

buddyrich
20-Aug-09, 23:31
Explain????

Days upon days of meaningless conjecture, Libya releasing the news during his rambling speech, launching political attacks on Westminster during said speech, offering no real reason for the release etc etc.

They had no control over the release of information and stupidly managed to present the release as just one of kenny macaskill's crazy schemes.

He finally managed to say on newsnight that he was administering the compassion megrahi didnt show etc etc. If that had been their message earlier in the process then it might have eased the furore.

crayola
20-Aug-09, 23:33
Macaskill just got put through the mangle by paxman.Drat, I switched off the tv when I came on here. :(

Interesting how quiet our wine-guzzling swine of a first minister is over this. He doesnt usually miss the chance to appear on tv. Unless it's over a hugely unpopular decision which he'll no doubt be at pains to distance himself from.Indeed. Kenny MacA is his own man and it won't be difficult for Alex S to persuade us of that if it all goes belly up. As has already been noted, Gordy B and the Downing St foot-in-mouth machine have also been extraordinarily silent.

tonkatojo
20-Aug-09, 23:33
Au contraire, Kenny MacAskill took a brave decision because he will now have the relations of the victims and the Obama/Clinton administration breathing down his neck and calling for his blood.

The easy option would have been to dismiss the calls to set the bomber free by citing both the severity of the crime and his wish to conclude the second appeal so that justice would be seen to be done.

Kenny MacAskill may be many things but he is his own man and I respect him for that, even though on balance I'm not sure I would have made the same decision.

I think he went to great pains building up to saying the UK government made the decision to have an agreement (prisoner exchange) and "we" the Scottish government are not going to comply and this is how it will be done.

buddyrich
20-Aug-09, 23:35
I wonder if the US would take Scotlands view into account if things were reversed and it was a plane load of scots killed over america.

It doesnt really apply i suppose because america wouldnt release the culprit even if he only had a day left to live.

Moira
20-Aug-09, 23:35
<snip>

Good point. I'm glad this decision was not mine to make.

buddyrich
20-Aug-09, 23:39
I mentioned before, i think any dialogue with Libya is outrageous, let alone prisoner transfer agreements. That government sponsors terrorism, such as the lockerbie bombimb.

his is all fall out from blair going over there five years ago, so fair enough, macaskill didnt ask for this.

But then again he fairly grasped with both hands the chance to have his dance on the world stage.

Boozeburglar
20-Aug-09, 23:39
He is not free, check our Justice Minister's speech.

His release demonstrates all the noble and best of our system.

Clemency, mercy, call it what you will.

He may be feted as a hero, but the real effect will be rebuking the propaganda of the extremists. We are demonstrating our ability to rise above revenge.

Well done Scotland. I am very proud to be part of this Scotland making a very Scottish decision.

We are, after all, the home of the modern enlightenment.

Tubthumper
20-Aug-09, 23:44
But then again he fairly grasped with both hands the chance to have his dance on the world stage.
I thought he did a pretty good job under crappy circumstances. Perhaps the SNP is becoming more than just a one-man band???

crayola
20-Aug-09, 23:45
I wonder if the US would take Scotlands view into account if things were reversed and it was a plane load of scots killed over america.

It doesnt really apply i suppose because america wouldnt release the culprit even if he only had a day left to live.No, they would have executed him before he had a chance to die of cancer!

Tubthumper
20-Aug-09, 23:48
It doesnt really apply i suppose because america wouldnt release the culprit even if he only had a day left to live.
Never mind the 'culprit', any associated suspects would get trussed and bagged, waterboarded and dragged to a neutral country and held incommunicado for years without recourse to due process of law. Or be electrocuted or poisoned.

Boozeburglar
20-Aug-09, 23:49
Yeah! We really need to look to the butchers in the USA to set our moral compass! Sheesh!

Human Rights in the USA is a lost idea.

Tubthumper
20-Aug-09, 23:56
Yeah! We really need to look to the butchers in the USA to set our moral compass! Sheesh!
Human Rights in the USA is a lost idea.
I think that's a bit rash. I know some great US citizens. I just think the country can get a bitty self-obsessed at times.

Moira
20-Aug-09, 23:57

I take your point but it's not Scotland's opinion that is in the spotlight here, is it?

Tubthumper
21-Aug-09, 00:06
I take your point but it's not Scotland's opinion that is in the spotlight here, is it?
Rightly or wrongly, this issue is going to ask us all to have a good look at what it actually means to be 'Scottish'. Do we actually want to be a wee country that can stand up for what it believes in? Will we stand behind our elected politicians when they grasp the thistle? Or will we just be endlessly subservient to UK government, and dance to America's tune?
Many US citizens say 'My country, right or wrong.' Dare we start to think the same??

mama2
21-Aug-09, 00:36
I will reserve my sympathy for the real victims in this and that is the people who have lost loved ones due to this act of terrorism. I'm sure there are many, if not all of them, who feel angered, hurt and betrayed by this decision. Because of this man and the monsters who helped him carry out the bombings, Lockerbie, like Dunblane will forever be remembered for the wrong reasons.
Compasionate grounds - that is a laugh. He didn't show much compasion for the victims did he?

golach
21-Aug-09, 00:45
Many conveniently forget that Libya , paid compensation to the US familys of the bombing of 1.5 billion dollars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7703110.stm

mama2
21-Aug-09, 00:54
Does paying $1.5 billion make it all right? Compensation doesn't replace your loved ones.

Dr Evil
21-Aug-09, 01:09
I am still out on this topic, i am still debating with myself to the pros and cons of him being freed! I find that I am really into conspiracy theories and due to work realted courses I actually spent a lot of time studying the did he didnt he side of things for a presenation on Megrahi for work. The time i spent looking at the in really did through me off!!!

This led me to three conclusions on his release (and i still havent decided which one i am behind)

1: He is going to die anyway so better out of prison because when he is in the prison he was costing the tax payer,

but

2: he did kill all the people who never got to go home to their family for the final moments no matter months. . . .. . . . . . . . . .

or

3: Scapegoat

However (here is the conspiracy side) who else was involved, what about the Helsinki warning??? what about the 5 US intel officers that mysteriously turned into four, what about the Libyan intel officer caught earlier with the exact same materials to make the same bomb as was used in the attack these are only a few I can name which I researched along with some others!!!!!

One post I really agree with 100% on this thread was by scorrie

Quote: This post is ridiculous Tom. Are you going to put the man on a timer and have a good moan about it if he doesn't die in exactly three months?

How much do you know about the man's state of health?

Making a prognosis for the survival time of cancer sufferers is not an exact science and patients sometimes live beyond the forecast time scale.

As I predicted, when I heard that Megrahi had dropped his appeal, he is now free. The whole episode stinks of him carrying the can for higher authorities. In all probability families will never know the truth about who is truly responsible because of Political wangling.

Bazeye
21-Aug-09, 02:51
Pensioners freezing to death.....heat or eat........ex squaddies living on the streets.....scumbags getting for free what I have to work and pay for.... I absolutely hate the way the government tells me what I can and cant do....... better go and empty the wheelie bin now before I get fined......Ill give it between 5 and 10 years before everybody finally realisestheyve been taken for a ride........Big Style....

Bazeye
21-Aug-09, 02:59
Rightly or wrongly, this issue is going to ask us all to have a good look at what it actually means to be 'Scottish'. Do we actually want to be a wee country that can stand up for what it believes in? Will we stand behind our elected politicians when they grasp the thistle? Or will we just be endlessly subservient to UK government, and dance to America's tune?
Many US citizens say 'My country, right or wrong.' Dare we start to think the same?? We might have been dancing to americas tune for ye ars......substitute that nowadays for the unelected EEU..

Bazeye
21-Aug-09, 03:06
Many US citizens say 'My country, right or wrong.' Dare we start to think the same?? We are not subserviant to the UK or the USA. Weve sold our soul to the EEC

Bazeye
21-Aug-09, 03:16
How anyone can call this an "easy" decision is beyond me. You elect politicians to make difficult decisions like this.. See where youre coming from but Idont remember electing anybody in the EEC to tell me whats in my best interests. Or any body else come to think of it.

Aaldtimer
21-Aug-09, 03:30
If you had any kin tied in with that flight I'm certain you would have negative feelings of him going free.

Have you listened to Jim Swire's views on this? He lost his daughter in the tragedy and is quite vehement in his opinion of Mr. Megrahi's non- involvement, and that two wrongs don't make a right!
I think I'm right in saying that he attended every day of the trial in the Netherlands, and listened to all the evidence. :confused

Aaldtimer
21-Aug-09, 03:34
He is not free, check our Justice Minister's speech.

His release demonstrates all the noble and best of our system.

Clemency, mercy, call it what you will.

He may be feted as a hero, but the real effect will be rebuking the propaganda of the extremists. We are demonstrating our ability to rise above revenge.

Well done Scotland. I am very proud to be part of this Scotland making a very Scottish decision.

We are, after all, the home of the modern enlightenment.

Well said Bb!

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Aug-09, 03:56
So, in typical redneck fashion, the Yanks have set up a boycottscotland website in reaction to this, eh? Funny. Given the fact that Google stopped giving out gmail addresses about two years ago and changed it to googlemail.com addresses, it means, either, the boycottscotland gmail address has been on hold for some time, or, it's a fake. The domain, incidentally, was registered yesterday in Canada, of all places.

Anyway, if Megrahi were to have had his appeal heard there would be some damning evidence of a cover-up, I suspect; so, our government(s?) had to put the fly or die deal to him in order to save their own political backsides. Megrahi knew they'd never let his appeal get as far as presenting any new evidence - lawyers (as we all know fully well) would have procrastinated that one easily for three-to-six months.

One of the conditions of eligibility for compassionate release is that there must be no pending legal proceedings against the individual. Convenient, yes? Megrahi must therefore abandon his appeal if he wants to go home alive.

If, after he gets home, he now starts pointing the finger and naming names etc., Washington/London can dismiss it by saying he accepted the deal and therefore urge the world to pay no heed to the rantings of a "convicted terrorist" who "declined" the opportunity to appeal against his conviction and clear his name.

He can't hurt them as a "guilty" man, whereas his evidence at appeal could have been a real economic, political and diplomatic catastrophe for them collectively. Coming closely on the back of the WMD fiasco would not have helped our government(s) who are already facing an understandably skeptical electorate.

A win-win for all the governments I'd say. Gadaffi, the peacemaker, gets the adulation of his citizens for having secured Megrahi's release, the UK/Scottish governments are seen to be "compassionate" and Washington secures Libyan oil supplies whilst it pretends it is miffed: so as not to offend its own citizens. Gadaffi will no doubt maintain a diplomatic silence even if Megrahi rants for the remainder of his life, because, he, Gadaffi, will now secure lucrative trade deals on Libya's behalf, too. Diplomatic/economic ties between Libya and the West will continue to thaw, the fat cats will get fatter and the oil will once again flow into an imported-oil-dependent US. The only people who don't get any justice are 270 American families, one Libyan family and the general public.

I mean, suppose Megrahi has already passed some really damning evidence out to supporters? If he'd died in jail, and such evidence subsequently came to light, then world opinion might think "no wonder they kept him silenced in jail", whereas under this arrangement, his "guilt" (i.e. his lack of credibility) is now upheld for all to see and his criticisms can more easily be deflected and dismissed: "Scotland has released a terrorist".

All for oil - is that so hard to believe given recent history? The lives of a mere 270 people is nothing to these governments in the grand scale of things: how many Iraqis have died, and are still dying? Are they still dying today because of WMD? Or, because of oil, or because of "Al Qaeda"? Why must every leader of an unfriendly oil-producing country be portrayed as a madman? Think of who has been branded like that - Gadaffi, successive Syrian and Iranian leaders and Saddam. Syria doesn't have as much as the rest of them but we still think they're anti-West, even though our petroleum companies are doing rather well out there, too.

Funny though, how Africa is full of warring factions, Islamic extremists and despotic governments, but there's not the same rush to "liberate" them. Nigeria has oil but look at the corruption that goes on. Meanwhile, BP just keeps pumping the stuff out of there whilst it covers up the atrocities. Iran is next - stick your mortgage on that one, only we'll let the Israeli branch of "Al Qaeda" do the dirty work this time.

Bruce_H
21-Aug-09, 05:27
So my two cents as one of the yanks who loiter here.

I think the fact that Scotland let this dirtbag go makes no sense. He has no mercy in his soul, and deserves to rot forever in prison. The way that he was celebrated as a hero in Libya simply underscores what kind of insanity the world faces.

On the boycott, the chumps who started this can kiss my toe. There is no way that Americans are going to change their plans because of this. Many of us Yanks fondly identify with Scotland as our ancestral home, and some dopey political decisions is hardly worth considering when we choose a holiday destination.

To underscore the fact that the boycott morons can shove it, I am going to visit Caithness next month (from San Diego).

Screw you boycott.

Bruce H

scotsboy
21-Aug-09, 07:41
I think it was the correct decision to release him and feel a real sense of pride in the Scottish legal system that this was able to be done particularly in the face of such pressure from others.

In my opinion it is a win-win situation. If he was innocent (and it is a shame his appeal could not proceed) then a free man has been released, if he was guilty then it shows a level of compassion that he (and possibly many others) did not have and provides those who would carry out such acts a demonstration of what it is to be a civilized society.

Don't find myself saying this too often, but today I am proud of the Scottish government.

crayola
21-Aug-09, 08:48
So, in typical redneck fashion, the Yanks have set up a boycottscotland website in reaction to this, eh? Funny. Given the fact that Google stopped giving out gmail addresses about two years ago and changed it to googlemail.com addresses, it means, either, the boycottscotland gmail address has been on hold for some time, or, it's a fake. The domain, incidentally, was registered yesterday in Canada, of all places. I think it's still gmail in the United States and Canada.

Gmail trademark disputes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail#United_Kingdom)

porshiepoo
21-Aug-09, 09:18
IMO this whole fiasco just highlights the weaknesses of Scots Law and the Scottish Judicial System.

"bound by Scottish values to release him" What a joke! What about the value of 270 human lives? What about Scottish values being compassionate to the friends, families and survivors left behind? What about the community and village that were destroyed by this guy?

Life should mean life, especially when 270 lives were slaughtered under the name of terrorism. What kind of message does this send to the world?
MacAskill can claim as much as he likes that it shows the compassion that Scots have but that's all just hot air, I for one would rather be seen as an awful person but know this guy will never be free again.

In his speech he spent ages condemning everyone else for making this decision possible but at the end of the day he was sentenced under Scots Law and the decision was a Scots decision to make. It doesn't matter how the situation came about or how Megrahi was able to make this request. At the end of the day the decision was made by MacAskill and I think it's a decision we could all live to regret, he put the personal situation of one murdering b*****d above the hopes, feelings and needs of his own country and many many others.

Megrahi's freedom should only have come about with his death!

porshiepoo
21-Aug-09, 09:26
I think it was the correct decision to release him and feel a real sense of pride in the Scottish legal system that this was able to be done particularly in the face of such pressure from others.

In my opinion it is a win-win situation. If he was innocent (and it is a shame his appeal could not proceed) then a free man has been released, if he was guilty then it shows a level of compassion that he (and possibly many others) did not have and provides those who would carry out such acts a demonstration of what it is to be a civilized society.

Don't find myself saying this too often, but today I am proud of the Scottish government.

Totally disagree.
If he was Innocent, then it just shows a weakness in the Scottish system.
If he was guilty then it shows an even worse weakness that he could be released on ANY grounds.

Wanting the guy to spend his entire life in prison does not make anyone less compassionate than the next person. All it means is that we show our compassion to those that truly deserve it - the victims, the victims families and all those people who have been in anyway damaged, maimed or traumatised by this guys acts.
Megrahi deserves no compassion. He showed no compassion to those on that flight, no compassion to the family of those onboard and no compassion for those on the ground, furthermore his 'heroe's welcome' shows nothing but contempt for all those victims and their families.
He knew exactly what he was doing, he knew what devastation he would cause and he CHOSE to do it anyway.
You would think that most Laws would mean 'Crime means Time'. How much time has this guy actually served? 10 years or so? 10 years for 270 lives - that is what Scots Law Stands for and THAT is what you are proud of?

Messi10
21-Aug-09, 09:42
Very interesting read. Stick with it.

Monday, August 17, 2009
Tam Dalyell writes on the truths about Lockerbie which London & Washington don’t want to hear
This weekend’s Mail on Sunday saw a very interesting article from former Labour MP Tam Dalyell on what many don’t want to hear about the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in December 1988.

The Mail on Sunday (Scottish edition) reports :

August 16 2009, The Mail on Sunday (Scottish Edition).

The truth about Lockerbie? That’s the last thing the Americans want the world to know.

By Tam Dalyell Former Labour MP for Linlithgow and former Father of the House of Commons.

WHY have US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her officials' responded to the return of Megrahi with such a volcanic reaction? The answer is straightforward. The last thing that Washington wants is the truth to emerge about the role of the US in the crime of Lockerbie. I understand the grief of those parents, such as Kathleen Flynn and Bert Ammerman, who have appeared on our TV screens to speak about the loss of loved ones. Alas all these years they have been lied to about the cause of that grief.

Not only did Washington not want the awful truth to emerge, but Mrs Thatcher, a few - very few - in the stratosphere of Whitehall and certain officials of the Crown Office in Edinburgh, who owe their subsequent careers to the Lockerbie investigation, were compliant.

It all started in July 1988 with the shooting down by the warship USS Vincennes of an Iranian airliner carrying 290 pilgrims to Mecca - without an apology.

The Iranian minister of the interior at the time was Ali Akbar Mostashemi, who made a public statement that blood would rain down in the form of ten western airliners being blown out of the sky.

Mostashemi was in a position carry out such a threat - he had been the Iranian ambassador in Damascus from 1982 to 1984 and had developed close relations with the terrorist gangs of Beirut and the Bekaa Valley - and in particular terrorist leader Abu Nidal and Ahmed Jibril, the head of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine - General Command.

Washington was appalled. I believe so appalled and fearful that it entered into a Faustian agreement that, tit-for-tat, one airliner should be sacrificed.

This may seem a dreadful thing for me to say. But consider the facts. A notice went up in the US Embassy in Moscow advising diplomats not to travel with Pan Am back to America for Christmas.

American military personnel were pulled off the plane. A delegation of South

Africans, including foreign minister Pik Botha, were pulled off Pan Am Flight 103 at the last minute.

Places became available. Who took them at the last minute? The students. Jim Swire's daughter, John Mosey's daughter, Martin Cadman's son, Pamela Dix’s brother, other British relatives, many of whom you have seen on television in recent days, and, crucially, 32 students of the University of Syracuse, New York.

If it had become known - it was the interregnum between Ronald Reagan demitting office and George Bush Snr entering the White House - that, in the light of the warning, Washington had pulled VIPs but had allowed Bengt Carlsson, the UN negotiator for Angola whom it didn't like, and the youngsters to travel to their deaths, there would have been an outcry of US public opinion.

No wonder the government of the United States and key officials do not want the world to know what they have done.

If you think that this is fanciful, consider more facts. When the relatives went to see the then UK Transport Secretary, Cecil Parkinson, he told them he did agree that there should be a public inquiry. Going out of the door as they were leaving, as an afterthought he said: 'Just one thing. I must clear permission for a public inquiry with colleagues'. Dr Swire, John Mosey and Pamela Dix, the secretary of the Lockerbie relatives, imagined that it was a mere formality. A fortnight later, sheepishly, Parkinson informed them that colleagues had not agreed. At that time there was only one colleague who could possibly have told Parkinson that he was forbidden to do something in his own department. That was the Prime Minister. Only she could have told Parkinson to withdraw his offer, certainly, in my opinion, knowing the man, given in good faith.

Fast forward 13 years. I was the chairman of the all-party House of Commons group on Latin America. I had hosted Dr Alvaro Uribe, the president of Colombia, between the time that he won the election and formally took control in Bogota. The Colombian ambassador, Victor Ricardo, invited me to dinner at his residence as Dr Uribe wanted to continue the conversations with me.

The South Americans are very formal. A man takes a woman in to dinner. To make up numbers, Ricardo had invited a little old lady, his neighbour. I was mandated to take her in to dinner. The lady was Margaret Thatcher, to whom I hadn't spoken for 17 years since I had been thrown out of the Commons for saying she had told a self-serving fib in relation to the Westland affair.

I told myself to behave. As we were sitting down to dinner, the conversation went like this.

'Margaret, I'm sorry your "head" was injured by that idiot who attacked your sculpture in the Guildhall.'

She replied pleasantly: 'Tam, I'm not sorry for myself, but I am sorry for the sculptor.'

Raising the soup spoon, I ventured: 'Margaret, tell me one thing - why in 800 pages...'

'Have you read my autobiography?' she interrupted, purring with pleasure.

Yes, I have read it very carefully. Why in 800 pages did you not mention Lockerbie once?' Mrs Thatcher replied: 'Because I didn't know what happened and I don't write about things that I don't know about.'

My jaw dropped. 'You don't know. But, quite properly as Prime Minister, you went to Lockerbie and looked into First Officer Captain Wagner's eyes.'

She replied: 'Yes, but I don't know about it and I don't write in my autobiography things I don't know about.' My conclusion is that she had been told by Washington on no account to delve into the circumstances of what really happened that awful night.

Whitehall complied. I acquit the Scottish judges Lord Sutherland, Lord Coulsfield and Lord MacLean at Megrahi's trial of being subject to pressure, though I am mystified as to how they could have arrived at a verdict other than 'Not Guilty' -or at least 'Not Proven'.

As soon as I left the Colombian ambassador's residence, I reflected on the enormity of what Mrs Thatcher had said.

Her relations with Washington were paramount. She implied that she had abandoned her natural and healthy curiosity about public affairs to blind obedience to what the US administration wished. Going along with the Americans was one of her tenets of faith.

On my last visit to Megrahi, in Greenock Prison in November last year, he said to me: 'Of course I am desperate to go back to Tripoli. I want to see my five children growing up. But I want to go back as an innocent man.'

I quite understand the human reasons why, given his likely life expectancy, he is prepared, albeit desperately reluctantly, to abandon the appeal procedure

scotsboy
21-Aug-09, 09:48
That of course is your opinion Porshiepoo.

Our penal system is based upon rehabilitation and not punishment, I am nit sure I agree with that, but that is the way it is. In this case I see it serving no good that this individual spends the remaining days of his life in jail.

I am not sure of you are aware of the case, but I feel a little uneasy that the chief witness was paid $2 million dollars for his testimony.

I think he was a scapegoat and not involved in the incident.

You disagree, you want him to “suffer”, I don’t think him being in jail is suffering enough if he was guilty.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 10:31
Personally I am glad I am Welsh today.

The Scottish Justice sytem is now a Joke. It doesnt have the courage of its own convcitions. It will forever be seen by the outside world as being weak and feckless. A country where compassion for a convicted criminal is more important than punishing him. And before the tinfoil hat brigade wade in quoting other every Tom Dick and Harry consider this .. he was convicted and DROPPED his appeal. Why was that ??, he was not bothered about being declared innocent he just wanted to go home.

And you let him.

Well played the Wimps in the Scottish Goverment.

scotsboy
21-Aug-09, 10:42

The Scottish Justice sytem is now a Joke. It doesnt have the courage of its own convcitions. It will forever be seen by the outside world as being weak and feckless. A country where compassion for a convicted criminal is more important than punishing him. And before the tinfoil hat brigade wade in quoting other every Tom Dick and Harry consider this .. he was convicted and DROPPED his appeal. Why was that ??, he was not bothered about being declared innocent he just wanted to go home.

And you let him.

Disagree Gene, it is seen by the USA, Fox News et al as a joke...........I can live with that.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 11:42
Disagree Gene, it is seen by the USA, Fox News et al as a joke...........I can live with that.

Sorry but not the case.

It was being discussed in the pub last night and among the comments made were .. "Good job Myra Hindley wasnt convicted in Scotland then, she would have been out early too"

If you are naive enough to think that the English and Welsh agree with the move made by the Scottish Parliament then I have to say, not the majority from what I have seen and heard.

It would be interesting to hear the views of those who wanted him released on the fact that Libyan and Scottish flags were being waved on his return, and the fact he was hailed as some kind of returning Hero. Make you feel proud to be Scottish did it ??

PantsMAN
21-Aug-09, 12:09
If you are naive enough to think that the English and Welsh agree with the move made by the Scottish Parliament then I have to say, not the majority from what I have seen and heard.

It would be interesting to hear the views of those who wanted him released on the fact that Libyan and Scottish flags were being waved on his return, and the fact he was hailed as some kind of returning Hero. Make you feel proud to be Scottish did it ??

Why should the Scottish Nation be concerned about the current train of thought of either the Welsh or the English?

As far as a bit of flag waving goes - so what? And what difference does it make? I am proud to be a member of the nation that can think independently and shrug off the views of overbearing, small-minded bullies.

And as for that balloon David Cameron - talk about a joke![lol]

balto
21-Aug-09, 12:11
what is ranting and raving going to do, absolutly nothing, its a disgrace he was freed, but it has happened, this should now be the end of it.

bothyman
21-Aug-09, 12:18
The Americans cannot complain after this Incident.

They didn't even apologise.

There was a Programme about it on TV .

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

This one was closer to home.

>> http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-59445.html

Tubthumper
21-Aug-09, 12:34
Sorry but not the case.

It was being discussed in the pub last night and among the comments made were .. "Good job Myra Hindley wasnt convicted in Scotland then, she would have been out early too"

Get stuffed Gene. If you don't like (a) our country (b) our org, then why not beat it and leave us in peace. Wales is lucky not to have to deal with such sensitive subjects. Discussions in the pub? All you're fit for.
Tchyoub!

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Aug-09, 12:41
Everyone seems to have made their minds up, so here's mine. Megrahi is innocent; he was stitched up. Am sure it's no secret.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 13:13
Get stuffed Gene. If you don't like (a) our country (b) our org, then why not beat it and leave us in peace. Wales is lucky not to have to deal with such sensitive subjects. Discussions in the pub? All you're fit for.
Tchyoub!

Ah diddums.

Is that your only response when you face criticism ??, spit the dummy when someone criticises one of your actions. If your big enough to take a course of action as a country then you should be big enough for it to be scrutinised without whining like a child and demanding that the nasty man go away.

So tell you what .. you get stuffed.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Aug-09, 13:17

The justice system that we have set up is not adequate to cover crimes of international terrorism - witness the complete breakdown of UK justice due to the Troubles in the 70s and 80s and the mess that the Americans have made of their justice system since 9/11 (Guantanamo) as two shining examples.

Surely no one believes that we have the full story with the Lockerbie bombing? The case against Megrahi was full of holes so big you could drive a bus through them. What we are witnessing is the total faith that must be placed in the justice system - he was convicted, therefore he did, 100%. I don't buy it - there have been too many cases of innocent people being locked up to satisfy the people's demands for justice in the face of terrorist acts for me to have much faith in them.

Oh and the Americans getting huffy about treatment of prisoners? Please. I'd tell them to go take a run at themselves.

Anyway, Buddy, this should make for interesting reading:

1988: US warship shoots down Iranian airliner
"An American naval warship patrolling in the Persian Gulf has shot down an Iranian passenger jet after apparently mistaking it for an F-14 fighter.

All those on board the airliner - almost 300 people - are believed dead.

The plane, an Airbus A300, was making a routine flight from Bandar Abbas, in Iran, to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

The USS Vincennes had tracked the plane electronically and warned it to keep away. When it did not the ship fired two surface-to-air missiles, at least one of which hit the airliner.

Navy officials said the Vincennes' crew believed they were firing at an Iranian F14 jet fighter, although they had not confirmed this visually.

No survivors

The plane blew up six miles from the Vincennes, the wreckage falling in Iranian territorial waters.

Iranian ships and helicopters have been searching for survivors but none have so far been found. Iranian television broadcast scenes of bodies floating amid scattered debris.

Iran has reacted with outrage, accusing the United States of a "barbaric massacre" and vowed to "avenge the blood of our martyrs".

President Reagan said the Vincennes had taken "a proper defensive action" and called the incident an "understandable accident", although he said he regretted the loss of life.

'Deep regret'

Admiral William J Crowe, Jr, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at a Pentagon news conference that the US government deeply regretted the incident.

However, he said, the Airbus was four miles west of the usual commercial airline route and the pilot ignored repeated radio warnings from the Vincennes to change course.

Less than an hour before the shooting down of the passenger jet, he added, the Vincennes was engaged in a gun battle with three Iranian gunboats after a helicopter from the Vincennes was fired on.

The president promised a full investigation into how a passenger jet came to be mistaken for a fighter jet, which is two-thirds smaller.

US warships have been escorting Kuwaiti tankers in and out of the Persian Gulf since last July as part of its controversial undertaking to keep the Straits of Hormuz open during the eight-year-old Iran-Iraq War.

Pentagon officials acknowledged at the time that increased US military presence would risk provoking confrontations with Iran.

Last May the patrol frigate USS Stark was almost sunk by an Iraqi fighter-bomber, killing 37 sailors. Vigilance was tightened after the incident."

This incident is regularly referenced to show that there is probably more to the Lockerbie bombing than has been said.

golach
21-Aug-09, 13:26

And I am also glad your are Welsh, someone with your attitude, should stick with your own, we have already seen how you react to criticism,just throw your rattle out of the pram again, but this time stay away.
I am extremely proud of being a Scot, warts an all,

scorrie
21-Aug-09, 13:29

Not necessarily, some of the victims relatives have welcomed the move. It all depends on what type of person you are and whether you can embrace the concept of forgiveness. A few people are able to do this when the perpetrator is clearly guilty. I admire their ability to do so, as I doubt I could achieve such a resolution in the same scenario. I would suggest that more people would be willing to forgive, if accepting that there was some element of doubt concerning guilt.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that some people simply need a figure whom they can direct their anger at for the rest of their lives. I am not sure I find that a useful way for moving on in life after a tragedy but it seems to be the most common-place.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 14:08
And I am also glad your are Welsh, someone with your attitude, should stick with your own, we have already seen how you react to criticism,just throw your rattle out of the pram again, but this time stay away.
I am extremely proud of being a Scot, warts an all,

I didnt get "criticism" the last time Golach. I got a whole heap of abuse levelled at me and my family because of their colour. I left because I wanted to devote my time into coming face to face with the individual doing it. Which I did when I was on a liason visit, he was easy to track down and he wasnt as mouthy in real life as he was from behind a keyboard. Most people arent though.

If you are such a proud Scot, and I dont doubt you are, then you would be able to take criticism for a decision you stand behind. Instead of whining like a kid who has had his toys nicked because someone says something you dont like.

Do One yourself.

golach
21-Aug-09, 14:20
If you are such a proud Scot, and I dont doubt you are, then you would be able to take criticism for a decision you stand behind. Instead of whining like a kid who has had his toys nicked because someone says something you dont like.Do One yourself.
I am able to take criticism and attacks on any of my personal thoughts and opinions, but when I see criticism of my Nation, from someone, who does not have a country of their own, only a principality, then, yes I feel aggrieved, not whining Mr Hunt, just stating fact.

scotsboy
21-Aug-09, 14:27
Sorry but not the case.

Ok Gene, the USA, Fox news and regulars at your pub..........I can live with that.

Of course if people do not know the facts surrounding the case and the events that led to the actual event it makes it difficult to understand the release of this man.

I actually thought the scenes in Libya were unfortunate, but to be expected, they see it as vindication that they were bit players in the incident and that the blame lies with Iran.

Perhaps we can contrast the “Lockerbie Bomber” (sic) who protests his innocence with the man who gave the order to shoot down Iran Air Flight 655, Captain William C. Rogers III, who at the end of his tour was presented with the Legion of Merit, and today I understand lives comfortably in San Diego. For those not familiar with the shooting down of this civilian aircraft I can tell you that there were 290 people on board including 66 children………..the USA has never accepted responsibility and never apologized to Iran for the “incident”.

In places where the influence of the Western media is minimal Scotland will be seen as a fair and just country. If it isn’t in your wee corner of South Wales I don’t really care Gene, because on this occasion you are shooting from the hip.

northener
21-Aug-09, 14:48
Very interesting read. Stick with it.

Monday, August 17, 2009
Tam Dalyell writes on the truths about Lockerbie which London & Washington don’t want to hear........

I did stick with it. And as usual Mr Dalyell has come out with more politically motivated tripe. This guy has jumped on more bandwagons than the Stones on tour.

Any chance he sees to rubbish the Tories (or whoever he has fallen out with at the time) by launching attacks on the back of sensitive and emotional subjects will be taken up with glee. He cares not for the subject of his tedious waffling - only for the damage he hopes to inflict on any of his potential political targets.

Don't forget that this is the man that tried to make political (anti-Thatcher, in this case) gain from the sinking of the General Belgrano during the Falklands War by claiming that "It was sailing away from the Taskforce" - thus displaying complete ignorance of the facts surrounding the events leading up to the sinking and absolutely no concept of naval warfare whatsoever.

I'll listen to any reasonable opinion from anyone, apart from self-serving ignorant muppets like Dalyell.

And well done Scotland for letting our Libyan 'guest' go.
Why the hell should we be influenced by pressure from outwith our borders when it comes to our own decision making by elected Government?

A good day for Scotland.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 15:04
Ok Gene, the USA, Fox news and regulars at your pub..........I can live with that.

Of course if people do not know the facts surrounding the case and the events that led to the actual event it makes it difficult to understand the release of this man.

I actually thought the scenes in Libya were unfortunate, but to be expected, they see it as vindication that they were bit players in the incident and that the blame lies with Iran.

Perhaps we can contrast the “Lockerbie Bomber” (sic) who protests his innocence with the man who gave the order to shoot down Iran Air Flight 655, Captain William C. Rogers III, who at the end of his tour was presented with the Legion of Merit, and today I understand lives comfortably in San Diego. For those not familiar with the shooting down of this civilian aircraft I can tell you that there were 290 people on board including 66 children………..the USA has never accepted responsibility and never apologized to Iran for the “incident”.

In places where the influence of the Western media is minimal Scotland will be seen as a fair and just country. If it isn’t in your wee corner of South Wales I don’t really care Gene, because on this occasion you are shooting from the hip.

Cheers Scotsboy. I made a point, your ok with it. As you say I am happy with that. I just find it amusing that after the self congratulation and back patting at how compassionate the Scottish people are when someone challenges the decision some rush up and spit the dummy at me, and tell me to get lost. Ah Diddums. And by the way the guy who made the comment was Scottish and not Welsh. I maintain if you are big enough to stand by a decision fair play to you. But be prepared for others to disagree with it without whining like a toddler.

As for the Vincennes incident, and you will have to bear with me here as I am an Air Traffic Controller and didnt just pick the details up off the Internet or Wikipedia. This incident has been used by myself and others as a teaching ex to show how every accident is a link in the chain and all it takes to avoid an incident is to break one link, both sides were at fault in that incident. We use it as an example of the importance of getting and maintaining two way contact with aircraft.

The Vincennes incident was against a background of incidents such as Iranian F-4's and F-14's doing infra red and radar missile locks on American P-3 Patrol aircraft while in International waters. On the day of the Iran Air shoot down the aircraft was off track and did not match the expoected schedule. The aircraft was contacted on 243.0 Mhz as it was suspected of being a militairy aircraft. By the way a radar blip is the same size on the screen despite the size of the aircraft despite what the Internet experts say, there was no contact on that Freq and the track was notified as a "Zombie" which means unknown. At this point workload goes up and from what can be ascertained NO contact was made on the 121.5 Mhz frequency that can be positivly identified. That was a the mistake on the Americans part. The aircraft should have had 121.5 and 243.0 set though as there were both civil and militairy aircraft in the area. Basic Airmanship would mean that having both those freqs set would mean a militairy Mayday or PAN call would have been heard by the Iranian aircraft and they would render assistance. The aircraft tracked to a point that the designation was changed to "Bandit" and the decision was made to shoot it down as it was close enough to pose a danger to the Vincennes had it been hostile. And generally aircraft that attack warships dont announce their intentions first. That the aircraft was shot down was a tragedy but there was fault on both sides. But hey what do I know eh ??, I actually deal with aircraft every day and didnt read Wiki and take it as gospel. The Vincennes was only in the Gulf anyway because the Iranians had mined the ship it replaced so they arent exactly blameless are they ??, they had been cranking up tension there for a long time.

So the incident was far from a callous shoot down. I suspect that the Lockerbie bombing was a paid for act by Iran in retaliation for this accident but I havent seen anything to prove that and I doubt I ever will. But to compare a man deliberatly putting a bomb on an aircraft and the Vincennes episode just doesnt ring true. The Capt of that ship was wrong but twenty twenty hindsight is a wonderful thing. If the track had been hostile and he had done nothing he would have been wrong and pillored for that too.

And I wouldnt have apologised either. The Iranians were funding groups in Iraq attacking us so I have no sympathy for them at all. But then there are plenty of other people willing to fight their corner so they dont need me after all. I care about my own first and foremost.

tonkatojo
21-Aug-09, 15:12

And you let him.

WELSH ??. do I not remember you saying you were born in Wick ?.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 15:13
I am able to take criticism and attacks on any of my personal thoughts and opinions, but when I see criticism of my Nation, from someone, who does not have a country of their own, only a principality, then, yes I feel aggrieved, not whining Mr Hunt, just stating fact.

Ah right.

I am inferior because I come from a Principality. Would this be the same principality that regularly sends your Rugby team home "tae think again" ??

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 15:15
WELSH ??. do I not remember you saying you were born in Wick ?.

I was, when my parents were on Holiday. But I am from Maerdy, South Wales. Its a principality to the South .. ;)

bothyman
21-Aug-09, 15:45
And I wouldnt have apologised either. .

Interesting, neither did the alleged Lockerbie Bomber and that is one of the things people keep bringing up ??

What would have happened if Iran had shot down an American Airliner, would America have forgotten about it ??

America is out for revenge, without thinking of all the innocent People that have died because of their actions..

Goverment's tell us what they want us to hear which is not always the Truth.

golach
21-Aug-09, 15:46
Ah right.

I am inferior because I come from a Principality. Would this be the same principality that regularly sends your Rugby team home "tae think again" ??
Has a nerve been struck here? Now its cheap shots about sport, which I have no interest in, I think you are losing the plot.
As for you pm of wanting to meet me face to face in Edinburgh, I dont think so, threats like that are only made by bullys.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 16:19
Has a nerve been struck here? Now its cheap shots about sport, which I have no interest in, I think you are losing the plot.
As for you pm of wanting to meet me face to face in Edinburgh, I dont think so, threats like that are only made by bullys.

My "cheap shot" was a witty reply to your assumption that I am not qualified to comment on events in your country because I come from a "principality", I dont react well to people declaring me inferior. Its a Welsh trait, we dont like it.

If you want to proclaim yourself as better than me then you should at least be willing to say that to my face, if your not willing to do that then it says a lot more about you than it does about me. I simply wanted you to assert your so called superiority to my face the next time I was passing through Edinburgh, hardly the act of a "Bully".

Pick on someone who will take your drivel next time is my advice.

scotsboy
21-Aug-09, 16:30
Cheers Scotsboy. I made a point, your ok with it. As you say I am happy with that. I just find it amusing that after the self congratulation and back patting at how compassionate the Scottish people are when someone challenges the decision some rush up and spit the dummy at me, and tell me to get lost. Ah Diddums. And by the way the guy who made the comment was Scottish and not Welsh. I maintain if you are big enough to stand by a decision fair play to you. But be prepared for others to disagree with it without whining like a toddler.

As for the Vincennes incident, and you will have to bear with me here as I am an Air Traffic Controller and didnt just pick the details up off the Internet or Wikipedia. This incident has been used by myself and others as a teaching ex to show how every accident is a link in the chain and all it takes to avoid an incident is to break one link, both sides were at fault in that incident. We use it as an example of the importance of getting and maintaining two way contact with aircraft.

The Vincennes incident was against a background of incidents such as Iranian F-4's and F-14's doing infra red and radar missile locks on American P-3 Patrol aircraft while in International waters. On the day of the Iran Air shoot down the aircraft was off track and did not match the expoected schedule. The aircraft was contacted on 243.0 Mhz as it was suspected of being a militairy aircraft. By the way a radar blip is the same size on the screen despite the size of the aircraft despite what the Internet experts say, there was no contact on that Freq and the track was notified as a "Zombie" which means unknown. At this point workload goes up and from what can be ascertained NO contact was made on the 121.5 Mhz frequency that can be positivly identified. That was a the mistake on the Americans part. The aircraft should have had 121.5 and 243.0 set though as there were both civil and militairy aircraft in the area. Basic Airmanship would mean that having both those freqs set would mean a militairy Mayday or PAN call would have been heard by the Iranian aircraft and they would render assistance. The aircraft tracked to a point that the designation was changed to "Bandit" and the decision was made to shoot it down as it was close enough to pose a danger to the Vincennes had it been hostile. And generally aircraft that attack warships dont announce their intentions first. That the aircraft was shot down was a tragedy but there was fault on both sides. But hey what do I know eh ??, I actually deal with aircraft every day and didnt read Wiki and take it as gospel. The Vincennes was only in the Gulf anyway because the Iranians had mined the ship it replaced so they arent exactly blameless are they ??, they had been cranking up tension there for a long time.

So the incident was far from a callous shoot down. I suspect that the Lockerbie bombing was a paid for act by Iran in retaliation for this accident but I havent seen anything to prove that and I doubt I ever will. But to compare a man deliberatly putting a bomb on an aircraft and the Vincennes episode just doesnt ring true. The Capt of that ship was wrong but twenty twenty hindsight is a wonderful thing. If the track had been hostile and he had done nothing he would have been wrong and pillored for that too.

And I wouldnt have apologised either. The Iranians were funding groups in Iraq attacking us so I have no sympathy for them at all. But then there are plenty of other people willing to fight their corner so they dont need me after all. I care about my own first and foremost.

Gene, if we were all the same it would be a boring World. You wont get any toys thrown out of the pram from me........freedom of speech, civil and religous liberty for all.......if you have an opinion you should expect and respect someone to have a different one.

I am a Unionist, have never hid that fact - I hate Scottish Nationalism (in fact I despise ALL Nationalism), but I think the SNP got this right.

I think my comparison of the lockerbie bomber and the Ships Captain, are a lot closer than the bomber ands Myra Hindley BTW;)

peter macdonald
21-Aug-09, 17:30
Sorry but I cant get the photos on here...This arcticle seems a lot more balanced and less frenzied than our media seems to be
Also the New York Times seems so bothered today that there coverage of Lockerbie etc comes underneath Hawaii having their 50th birthday as a state!! ie well down the list
Make up your own minds ...no further comment
PM
SEARCH:
washingtonpost.com
Web