PDA

View Full Version : Factory Records

buddyrich
18-Aug-09, 14:00
Did anyone see the BBC4 doc on the history of Factory Records and the Manchester 80's scene? I think it was originally on a couple of years ago but i caught it again the other night. Of all those bands i only like the Stone Roses and the Mondays but it was a fascinating story, especially the evolution of Tony Wilson's hair and the disaster of the Hacienda.

Did anyone from Caithness make the pilgrimage to gobble E's and talk complete nonsense about being in love with everything?

The Stone Roses live in blackpool was on after it, which was textbook.

davem
18-Aug-09, 16:59
The Hacienda was only a financial disaster, as a venue it was unmatched, the industrial interior - girders and concrete played havoc with the sound at first but that was sorted.
Didn't drop any E's tho - that was later in it's evolution.
Some good bands on there too George Clinton. Grandmaster Flash Annie Lennox and New Order - how could you not like New Order?

The caithness break dancing crews would have loved it there - definitely a part of music history. Tony Wilson was forever getting pints tipped over his head just because he was so up himself. Obviously now he is no longer with us, he has turned into St Anthony but that was funny at the time - despite his inclusive intentions.

Happy days.

davem
18-Aug-09, 17:00
My pilgrimage came later - I was there now I'm here!

buddyrich
19-Aug-09, 13:07
Ye gods, i forgot about new order.

Aye i meant the hacienda was a financial disaster. But that was tony wilson's absurd utopian, situationist vision. The twonk. Still, some good bands made it through with his help.

hotrod4
23-Aug-09, 13:18
The caithness break dancing crews would have loved it there - definitely a part of music history.

Happy days.

I remember breakin to "confusion" by new order!!! I was also a massive New order and Joy Division fan, Happy days indeed!!:lol: