PDA

View Full Version : How is your French?

crayola
17-Aug-09, 23:34
I looked in earlier today and noticed there were three separate threads about the yacht Le Grand Bleu but all three thread titles were spelled incorrectly. :(

Two of the threads have been combined into le grand bleu (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=82402) (much kudos to whoever fixed the spelling in the title) but note that there's still a thread with a rogue spelling in the Photography forum (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=83095).

Anyhow, that's enough self-indulgent nit-picking for now, but it got me thinking about expertise in foreign languages.

Do we have any Francophile linguists amongst us?

joxville
17-Aug-09, 23:38
I looked in earlier today and noticed there were three separate threads about the yacht Le Grand Bleu but all three thread titles were spelled incorrectly. :(

Two of the threads have been combined into le grand bleu (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=82402) (much kudos to whoever fixed the spelling in the title) but note that there's still a thread with a rogue spelling in the Photography forum (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=83095).

Anyhow, that's enough self-indulgent nit-picking for now, but it got me thinking about expertise in foreign languages.

Never mind French, try mastering English first. Grammatically you should have used the word 'spelt'. [lol]

PS Is it possible for you to start a thread that doesn't involve a poll ? ;)

crayola
17-Aug-09, 23:45
Never mind French, try mastering English first. Grammatically you should have used the word 'spelt'. [lol]
Nope. Both spellings are correct.

PS Is it possible for you to start a thread that doesn't involve a poll ? ;)You'll have to wait and see. :)

joxville
17-Aug-09, 23:54
Regardless of grammar, awfully nice to see you posting dahling. Mwah ;)

crayola
18-Aug-09, 00:09
Well thank you kind sir. ;)

I haven't been able to get on for a few weeks until tonight. Has anyone else had this problem?

joxville
18-Aug-09, 00:25
Yes, the org was down sporadically. I was working on the server and my wig screwdriver slipped and short-circuited it. :D

scorrie
18-Aug-09, 22:15
Methinks la dame est anal rétentif

scorrie
18-Aug-09, 22:16
I haven't been able to get on for a few weeks until tonight. Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone else consider that this could ever have been a "Problem"? ;)

Vistravi
18-Aug-09, 22:21
Another poll crayola? ;):lol:

I recognise some words in french but only when written and said. I can't say them myself. It sounds wrong.

How did you survive the org withdrawal symptoms? ;)

Gene Hunt
18-Aug-09, 22:51
I know some Franglais.

When French Air Traffic used to go on strike and not tell us and then refuse to handle our flights we would say ..

"Non ?? .. Non ?? .. pull la digit avec la derriere and say oui deux our aircraft dans your airspace. Jai oublie 1940 ?? .. vous were mucho happy to have Spifire and Hurricane dans your airspace dans la guerre. Jai oublie the boche kicking vous dans your derriere ?? .. it was Vive la Rosbifs then !! .. vous are a bunch of garlic eating surrender monkeys !!

Or something like that.

crayola
18-Aug-09, 22:53
Another poll crayola? I do my best to please others by living up to my (wholly undeserved) reputation. ;)

I recognise some words in french but only when written and said. I can't say them myself. It sounds wrong.

How did you survive the org withdrawal symptoms? ;)
I didn't have to. I was away on holiday for a whole month so I was used to living without it by the time I returned home.

Back on topic...

My French used to be tolerably ok but I am dreadfully out of practice and I sound like a total beginner again. :o

tonkatojo
18-Aug-09, 23:11

PS Is it possible for you to start a thread that doesn't involve a poll ? ;)

I have that very problem, the English gramma/spelling bit. Took French at secondary modern school but have forgot what was taught as soon as the lesson ended, had other things on the mind ;)

Phill
18-Aug-09, 23:23

Le Big Boat
see perfect frenchy speak

Mik.M.
19-Aug-09, 08:31
Le Big Boat
Shouldn`t that be Le Grand Bateau or La Grand Bateau ,depending whether it is a masculine or feminine word. That`s what I seem to remember from French at school.:confused

northener
19-Aug-09, 10:00
Le Big Boat

Jambo, Tembo!

Alas, njet, mon petite canard.

Le Grande Bleu 'cest 'The Big Blue' mein kamerad.

Ich speilen ein trommel avec le chien noire.

northener
19-Aug-09, 10:05
Shouldn`t that be Le Grand Bateau or La Grand Bateau ,depending whether it is a masculine or feminine word. That`s what I seem to remember from French at school.:confused

'Le'..always feminine for a ship.

Mik.M.
19-Aug-09, 10:46
'Le'..always feminine for a ship.
Thanks for the correction O great One.:lol:

Phill
19-Aug-09, 11:44
Jambo, Tembo!

Alas, njet, mon petite canard.

Le Grande Bleu 'cest 'The Big Blue' mein kamerad.

Ich speilen ein trommel avec le chien noire.

Utter tripe!

LE BIG BOAT!

i.e. Le Big boat iz in ze water

philistines the bloody lot of you
:mad:

David Banks
19-Aug-09, 12:38
The French French I was taught at THS (thanks "Cloudie") turns out to be different from Canadian French - which comes in at least two flavours, Quebecoise and Acadien.
My Canadian lassies are MUCH better than me; youngest one is about to get degree in French translation.

northener
19-Aug-09, 13:43
Thanks for the correction O great One.:lol:

Uh...or is it 'La' for feminine????????

northener
19-Aug-09, 13:45
The French French I was taught at THS (thanks "Cloudie") turns out to be different from Canadian French - which comes in at least two flavours, arrogant git and even more arrogant git.

Fixed it for you;)

crayola
19-Aug-09, 23:32
Oi you, how dare you call him an arrogant git? That insult may not be used towards anyone but myself on this forum without my explicit written permission. [disgust]

sweetpea
19-Aug-09, 23:39
Interesting question. I did French at school and was not too bad but couldn't see the point of it all. I can easily flow into a foreign language with 3-5 days of being in the country but the following week I've forgotten it all.

crayola
19-Aug-09, 23:45
Interesting question. I did French at school and was not too bad but couldn't see the point of it all. I can easily flow into a foreign language with 3-5 days of being in the country but the following week I've forgotten it all.
It's useful when you live in France. :lol:

Aaldtimer
20-Aug-09, 03:09
Merde!:confused

Kenn
20-Aug-09, 09:31
Oh la la Gene Hunt, je pense que vous etes un petit mechant!

My apologies for missing an accent but I have a computer that works in english.

northener
20-Aug-09, 09:33
Oh la la Gene Hunt, je pense que vous etes un petit mechant!

My apologies for missing an accent but I have a computer that works in english.

"I think you are a little mechanic?":eek:

Gene Hunt
20-Aug-09, 12:48
"I think you are a little mechanic?":eek:

I put it through Babelfish and it said that I apparently have a "small summer malicious" .. :eek:

northener
20-Aug-09, 13:17
I put it through Babelfish and it said that I apparently have a "small summer malicious" .. :eek:

...and if you then put that back to French and then back to English again, you get:

Oh the gene of hunting, I think that you small malevolent d' summers
That's me confused.........

Gene Hunt
20-Aug-09, 13:34
...and if you then put that back to French and then back to English again, you get:

Oh the gene of hunting, I think that you small malevolent d' summers
That's me confused.........

Yup me too.

God I hate the French. With their nonsensical language, fondness for Garlic and enthusiasm to surrender to any nation that even thinks about invading them.

Why do we learn their stupid language anyway ??, the place is a dump. Anyone who has ever been to Paris can testify it stinks of Merde.

Kenneth
20-Aug-09, 13:57
I got an A in French Higher, about two years ago, and I really dont remeber much at all...

Kenneth
20-Aug-09, 13:58
But I enjoyed learning French, I didnt like the attitude of anyone who didnt want to learn another language. Its a really good thing to do.

crayola
21-Aug-09, 00:43
"I think you are a little mechanic?":eek:I think you're a naughty little boy! :lol: