PDA

View Full Version : How do you beat them?

Vistravi
17-Aug-09, 21:13
As i have said in another post elsewhere i am terrified of heights but i am doing a sponsored sky dive with all money raised after paying for the jump going towards a charity to help abused children or to help prevent child abuse. With the incendive of the kids i'm confident in myself i can beat my fear and do the jump once up there. I'm also scared of dogs and we are planning one day to get a labador or golden retriever as a pet as my partner wants a dog and i want to overcome my fear of them.
I believe in meeting fear head on and beating it. ;)

How do you beat your fears?

joxville
17-Aug-09, 21:47
I shake a chair at mine. Lions are scared of chairs y'know! ;)

Gene Hunt
17-Aug-09, 21:55
As i have said in another post elsewhere i am terrified of heights but i am doing a sponsored sky dive with all money raised after paying for the jump going towards a charity to help abused children or to help prevent child abuse. With the incendive of the kids i'm confident in myself i can beat my fear and do the jump once up there. I'm also scared of dogs and we are planning one day to get a labador or golden retriever as a pet as my partner wants a dog and i want to overcome my fear of them.

You dont beat your fears. You just ignore them, steam on and get the job done. Then you look back, laugh and realise that actually there was nothing to worry about !!, Fear is to be treated with contempt.

You have already made a commitment to face your fears for the benefit of others. Someone who has the guts to do that has already made the hardest choice. Kudos. The only choice you have to make now is to exit the door of the plane, if you just visualise yourself doing that over and over again instinct will take over in the air. Plus your Instructor will have seen nervous people a thousand times before and will know how to deal with it, I wouldnt worry.

You only have to make the first foot out of the plane, Gravity will do the rest !!, enjoy it though as it is an awesome experience.

sweetpea
18-Aug-09, 00:32
I voted head on because that's how I do it. 'Feal the fear and do it anyway'. You can't back out now, lol

grumpy1
18-Aug-09, 07:48
one way to think about it if yr doing a skydive for charity u wont be up high for very long..lol..

i organised a skydive last year...and it was amazing watching my six volunteers jumping out of a plane.....well done you andi hope u raise alot of money for yr charity.....just remember they wont let anything happen to u the payout would be too much......(sorry..forever the optimist)

The Angel Of Death
18-Aug-09, 09:20
Take a dog skydiving with you and kill two birds with one stone ;)

ter21wat
18-Aug-09, 09:40
Good luch to you Vistravi!!

I am absolutely terrified of heights - even looking up at heights from the ground or watching someone on TV at height makes me weak at the knees!!

When i was about 15 a bungey jump came up to shetland and if if you collected enough sponsors you could do it for free. A few of my friends were doing it so i thought i'd face my fear and give it a go and raise money for charity at the same time. Well, terrified doesnt even begin to describe how i felt being taken up in the crane over the harbour to do my jump...i was so petrified that they said they would have to take me back down as i couldnt manage to get myself to the edge of the cage to jump out! But then i realised it would be worse to have to face all my friends after failing so they guy persuaded me that he would hold on to me and would only let go when i was ready....liar!! As soon as i wasnt holding on he pushed me - it was one of the most exhilarating experiences ever, absolutely amazing, so good in fact that i did another one the same day!!

Saying that though it still hasnt cured my fear of heights, i'm still terrified, but im so glad that i pushed myself to be able to do it - you can do anything if you put your mind to it :D

Do you have an online sponsors page where we can sponsor you?

Vistravi
18-Aug-09, 21:55
Good luch to you Vistravi!!

I am absolutely terrified of heights - even looking up at heights from the ground or watching someone on TV at height makes me weak at the knees!!

When i was about 15 a bungey jump came up to shetland and if if you collected enough sponsors you could do it for free. A few of my friends were doing it so i thought i'd face my fear and give it a go and raise money for charity at the same time. Well, terrified doesnt even begin to describe how i felt being taken up in the crane over the harbour to do my jump...i was so petrified that they said they would have to take me back down as i couldnt manage to get myself to the edge of the cage to jump out! But then i realised it would be worse to have to face all my friends after failing so they guy persuaded me that he would hold on to me and would only let go when i was ready....liar!! As soon as i wasnt holding on he pushed me - it was one of the most exhilarating experiences ever, absolutely amazing, so good in fact that i did another one the same day!!

Saying that though it still hasnt cured my fear of heights, i'm still terrified, but im so glad that i pushed myself to be able to do it - you can do anything if you put your mind to it :D

Do you have an online sponsors page where we can sponsor you?

I'll let you know nearer the time. it is definitly next year i am doing it, early on maybe feb or march. i've got my research to do first after we move in two months time.

Wow you're very brave to do a bungee jump. the idea of the ground rushing to my head puts me off. i have a list as long as my arm of the the things i want to do before i die in hopefully several decades time and sky diving is the thing i want to do the most. my partner wants to be there when i do it as does my mum.

Vistravi
18-Aug-09, 22:16
You dont beat your fears. You just ignore them, steam on and get the job done. Then you look back, laugh and realise that actually there was nothing to worry about !!, Fear is to be treated with contempt.

You have already made a commitment to face your fears for the benefit of others. Someone who has the guts to do that has already made the hardest choice. Kudos. The only choice you have to make now is to exit the door of the plane, if you just visualise yourself doing that over and over again instinct will take over in the air. Plus your Instructor will have seen nervous people a thousand times before and will know how to deal with it, I wouldnt worry.

You only have to make the first foot out of the plane, Gravity will do the rest !!, enjoy it though as it is an awesome experience.

For children i will do anything, hence why i choose the charity i have chosen. I love working with them and ensuring they recieve the best care there is. I can't see children not in my future. I have a caring and very loving heart that children and my friends and family all see. But it is for those people that i will protect when they need me.

Completely agree with you. I want to know the feeling of falling through the sky and the adrendeline you get from it. I will enjoy the experience and i want to prove to myself that i can do it. I'd be letting down all those children i will raise the money for if i didn't do it.

tonkatojo
18-Aug-09, 22:26
I'll let you know nearer the time. it is definitly next year i am doing it, early on maybe feb or march. i've got my research to do first after we move in two months time.

Wow you're very brave to do a bungee jump. the idea of the ground rushing to my head puts me off. i have a list as long as my arm of the the things i want to do before i die in hopefully several decades time and sky diving is the thing i want to do the most. my partner wants to be there when i do it as does my mum.

Good idea FEB/MARCH there might be a few inches of snow to cushion you. But seriously I wish you all the luck and courage you can muster it's a honourable thing your doing.

Tilly Teckel
18-Aug-09, 23:36
The skydive should cure you - I was scared of heights too and did a skydive a few years ago, it was the best feeling in the world. I've never been so exhilarated yet peaceful. The moments before you jump are probably some of the scariest you will ever encounter but you know you'll never forgive yourself if you back down so you have to do it. And once you're down you just want to go straight back up again! Good luck and have fun!!

Fantoosh
19-Aug-09, 21:57

Can I join you? :D

Whitewater
19-Aug-09, 23:43
I seem to have been lucky in this life, I'm not aware of having a phobia, Everything that challenged me I have just gone ahead and done it, sometimes with painfull results, but I enjoyed it all. Somebody once told me that if you said you never felt fear before you attempted something dangerous you were a liar. The fear keeps us rational and forces us to take up the challenges in a sensible fashion. Just go ahead and do your sky dive, you won't be allowed without the proper equipment and initial training, and get a puppy, a labrador or a boxer, a fun dog. Puppies will not hurt you, they depend on you, they will give you confidence in yourself with dogs. But don't get over confident with them, there are many dangerous dogs around that do not like people being overfriendly with them.

By he way, I voted for your 3rd option

Invader
20-Aug-09, 14:57
I have an irrational fear of heights, but my greatest fear is being scared of fear...

First confronted it when told to get on a Billy Pugh, (Think tractor inner tube with 4 x 6 foot rope ladders) 200 feet above the North Sea at midnight in December in horizantal sleet..... On the end of a 5000 tonne crane on a barge.

Then another Boss asked me me to come up a 300 foot flare stack with him. I was okay until a Maori steel worker (they have no fear of heights) vaulted the handrail, and toddled off along a 6" wide beam unsecured. ( They had to peel my fingers off the handrails, after I had sat down, wedged myself if in the the corner of the platform, whimpering.....)
Have you ever tried climbing down 300' of ladders squeaking like a kicked puppy??

I don't smoke, but it helped that day..... It stopped the shaking....

"There is nothing to fear, apart from fear itself............"

Since being made to face my fear, I have little fear of heights, why not ease yourself in gently by jogging up and down the steps at Sarclet a cuople of times.
Freaked me out last time (Before they were repaired

Vistravi
22-Aug-09, 11:26
Can I join you? :D

Aye you can!! :lol:

Fantoosh
24-Aug-09, 13:08
yay :D cheers :D

And to answer your uestion. I dont think I have a phobia of anything really, well nothing Ive come across so far. There are things I dont like but nothing im absolutely terrified of. Gonna have to find something Im terrified of :D see how I cope :L

Vistravi
24-Aug-09, 22:48
yay cheers

And to answer your uestion. I dont think I have a phobia of anything really, well nothing Ive come across so far. There are things I dont like but nothing im absolutely terrified of. Gonna have to find something Im terrified of see how I cope :L

How about running out of hair dye? LOL [lol][lol][lol]