PDA

View Full Version : Lord Thurso in The Times

Loch not Lock
17-Aug-09, 12:49
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article6796958.ece

Copy and paste on the above link to read article about Lord Thurso in last Saturday's Times.

Kodiak
17-Aug-09, 15:20
What a Load of rubbish this article is. For a start he has Not been a Lord for... I forget how long but more than a few years but I think it is 8 years since he have up his Title so that he could become an MP. If the Times can not get this simple bit correct just how much of the article is incorrect as well.

greenasiamcabbagelooking
17-Aug-09, 15:38
sounds to me like John (known as John to almost everyone) is one of the idiot drivers tailgating the good folk of Caithness !!

rob1
17-Aug-09, 17:26
What a Load of rubbish this article is. For a start he has Not been a Lord for... I forget how long but more than a few years but I think it is 8 years since he have up his Title so that he could become an MP. If the Times can not get this simple bit correct just how much of the article is incorrect as well.

He was able to sit in the House of Lord from when he inherited the Viscountancy from his farther untill Labour abolished hereditary peers in 1999. Since then anyone with an hereditary peerage can stand for election to the House of Commons under the House of Lords act 1999. He is not alone. The ex-tory chairman Michael Ancram is the Marquess of Lothian and Douglas Hogg is the Viscount Hailsham. It is however up to the individual if they wish to use their title.
Perhaps Kodiak, you should look to do a bit of research before you label an artical as rubbish. You are right though....He is not a Lord. He is a Viscount.

badger
17-Aug-09, 21:39
He was able to sit in the House of Lord from when he inherited the Viscountancy from his farther untill Labour abolished hereditary peers in 1999. Since then anyone with an hereditary peerage can stand for election to the House of Commons under the House of Lords act 1999. He is not alone. The ex-tory chairman Michael Ancram is the Marquess of Lothian and Douglas Hogg is the Viscount Hailsham. It is however up to the individual if they wish to use their title.
Perhaps Kodiak, you should look to do a bit of research before you label an artical as rubbish. You are right though....He is not a Lord. He is a Viscount.

so is called, correctly, Lord Thurso (and his wife is Lady Thurso).

Dog-eared
17-Aug-09, 23:20
His real name is Sinclair.
His father called himself "LordThurso", as he was a Lord. John is not.
John changed his name from John Sinclair to "John Thurso" to preserve the "Lord Thurso" implication of the name.
Make what you will of that ...........

Wiki here -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sinclair,_3rd_Viscount_Thurso

scorrie
17-Aug-09, 23:33
[QUOTE=Dog-eared;581735]His real name is Sinclair.
His father called himself "LordThurso", as he was a Lord. John is not.
John changed his name from John Sinclair to "John Thurso" to preserve the "Lord Thurso" implication of the name.
Make what you will of that ...........

His Father was also a Viscount, it makes no sense that a Son would have inherited a different title to that which his Father held. It's all here on Wiki:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscount_Thurso

crayola
17-Aug-09, 23:41
sounds to me like John (known as John to almost everyone) is one of the idiot drivers tailgating the good folk of Caithness !!That's exactly what I thought when I read it!

The rest of the article reflects well on him.

Dog-eared
17-Aug-09, 23:58
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sinclair,_3rd_Viscount_Thurso

Dog-eared
18-Aug-09, 00:11
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article6796958.ece

Dog-eared
18-Aug-09, 00:18
Still not a Lord though.

sweetpea
18-Aug-09, 00:29
He's in the times nearly every week. Jetting between here and Westminster still doesn't make him a lord as far as I know.

Dog-eared
18-Aug-09, 00:31
And why change Sinclair to Thurso ?

sweetpea
18-Aug-09, 00:33
What's in a name?;)

joxville
18-Aug-09, 00:37
What's in a name?;)
Exactly. I couldn't care if he changed his name to Florence von Carpet-Shampoo, as long as he serves the people well that he was elected to represent.

Anne x
18-Aug-09, 00:40
Exactly. I couldn't care if he changed his name to Florence von Carpet-Shampoo, as long as he serves the people well that he was elected to represent.

As he does

Dog-eared
18-Aug-09, 00:42
As far as the name goes - and the implication the of title .. does it help him..

Rheghead
18-Aug-09, 01:03
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord

The term is just a generic word for a member of the aristocracy. John Thurso is still a viscount, lord, a member of the upper classes. As one of the largest landowners and the MP for the county, he is in a very unique position in which he can positively steer events that could be in his favor.

crayola
18-Aug-09, 01:16
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord

The term is just a generic word for a member of the hoy polloy. John Thurso is still a viscount, lord, a member of the hoy polloy. As one of the largest landowners and the MP for the county, he is in a very unique position in which he can positively steer events that could be in his favor.Hmm, am I totally missing the point of your post or do you really not know the meaning and conventional spelling of hoi polloi?

I hope I'm missing the point and you will enlighten me. :)

badger
18-Aug-09, 15:55
Presumably Rheghead doesn't know what hoi polloi means - or maybe he's being complimentary and believes Lord Thurso to be one of the "masses". Given the hours he works, he could be considered a member of the Working Class (whatever that is).

Not sure what everyone means by "a Lord", which can be all sorts of things these days, including someone the Labour Govt. wants in Parliament and can't get in any other way e.g. Mandelson.

Lord Thurso did it the other way round - he is a Viscount and got to Parliament by being elected. Personally I prefer that route to Mandelson's.

As for steering events, he does that as an MP for the benefit of his constituents as anyone who has had dealings with him will tell you.

scorrie
18-Aug-09, 21:28
Presumably Rheghead doesn't know what hoi polloi

Quite a common mistake that one. People hear something and assume that, because it sounds foreign, it must be posh.

scorrie
18-Aug-09, 21:29
As far as the name goes - and the implication the of title .. does it help him..

I might be wrong here, but I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. Endless posts do not make your loose grip on the facts any stronger at all.

bigskelf
19-Aug-09, 08:05
Quite a common mistake that one. People hear something and assume that, because it sounds foreign, it must be posh.
hmmm, well there ye go, I was hoi polloi fur years and never knew!

Mrs Bucket
19-Aug-09, 08:18
Mmmmm . Do I detect a bit of snobbery here.

buddyrich
19-Aug-09, 13:35
I enjoyed that article. I do like our MP-like most members of old money/aristocracy, class isnt relevant. It feels ignorant to even bring it up. Im not a lib dem but i voted for him before and i would again. I feel well represented.

It's the sub-watergate swine like mandelson who should incur our ire. He represents everything that is wrong with this country. The scheming, treacherous scum in a dead horse government that should have been shot a long time ago. I hope mandelson enjoys being shadow-whatever it is he does because his gang is finished in government next year. And he deserves to be kicked (figuratively) long after he's down.

Cazart!

tonkatojo
19-Aug-09, 13:48
What's in a name?;)

My wife thinks I am called "christ almighty" , Well thats what she shouts at me. Or "oh God" followed by what's the matter with you. ;)

oldmarine
19-Aug-09, 14:55
From what I read here, it appears that John (Thurso) Sinclair or whatever he wants to be called is not too popular in Caithness.

badger
19-Aug-09, 15:21
From what I read here, it appears that John (Thurso) Sinclair or whatever he wants to be called is not too popular in Caithness.

Now there you couldn't be more wrong - he would hardly have been re-elected if that was the case. If you had seen previous threads you would know that anyone who has asked for his help has not been let down and most people who have had contact with him are full of praise.

He is the only MP I have had (and I've moved around quite a lot) who always answers correspondence (email or whatever) and will take the issue further.

Mrs Bucket
19-Aug-09, 15:58

Quite the reverse He is well respected and justly so

northener
19-Aug-09, 17:09
Quite the reverse He is well respected and justly so

Indeed, he gets a lot of support from people who are politically opposed to his party and yet respect and trust the man personally.
It's just some people cannot move on from some sort of 'Class' animosity towards whoever they percieve to be 'them'.....

If that doesn't make sense, Leatherneck, don't worry. it's very much a 'British' thing.

golach
19-Aug-09, 19:26
If that doesn't make sense, Leatherneck, don't worry. it's very much a 'British' thing.

Northener!!!! do try to keep up with British Forces tradition, The Royal Marines are the original Leathernecks, we now call them Bootnecks, the first Leathernecks in the world, and still the finest, as an owld matelot it galls me to have to say that, but they are.
no disrespect to my owld GI pal oldmarine.

http://www.classroom20.com/video/royal-marines-promotional

hunter
19-Aug-09, 19:57
Naughty, naughty . . . claiming mileage for work travel in his work vehicle and smoking at the same time?

Our law maker becomes a law breaker . . . unless, of course, he does not claim mileage expenses for travel to and from Westminster?

Nope, I didn't think so either . . .

I feel a lawsuit coming on from the journalist, hehehe

Dog-eared
19-Aug-09, 22:39
Its a pity that John Sinclair's Local Councillor wife Marion can't help people with planning issues as she has a conflicting interest due to her being married to the local MP....:eek:
Who, I think, is on the planning committee.....as far as I can understand it.

They both seem to work Ok within their restrictions / interests.

northener
20-Aug-09, 07:58
Northener!!!! do try to keep up with British Forces tradition, The Royal Marines are the original Leathernecks, we now call them Bootnecks, the first Leathernecks in the world, and still the finest, as an owld matelot it galls me to have to say that, but they are.

I know, Golach. but you know how much these pesky Colonials like to hang on to their British roots........;)

oldmarine
20-Aug-09, 15:16

Golach you are quite correct. The Americans copied a lot from the UK including the term Leatherneck plus many others when they succeeded from the United Kingdom (by force).

oldmarine
20-Aug-09, 15:21
Now there you couldn't be more wrong - he would hardly have been re-elected if that was the case. If you had seen previous threads you would know that anyone who has asked for his help has not been let down and most people who have had contact with him are full of praise.

He is the only MP I have had (and I've moved around quite a lot) who always answers correspondence (email or whatever) and will take the issue further.

Badger: Looks like I got that wrong from reading some of the posters. Looks like Lord Thurso (Sinclair) or whatever has done quite well for his constituents (sp?).