PDA

View Full Version : Puppy treats!

dawncw
27-Mar-06, 17:51
Hi, can any one help me? Does anyone know of any puppy treats that are suitable for puppies under 3 months of age that can be used as a training aid?!

Any suggestions will be great, all i can find are treats for pups over 3 or 4 months!

MadPict
27-Mar-06, 19:06
Dried liver is a great training aid - you only need small amounts as they are full of flavour (or so the dog tells me...) although as it is quite rich you 'd need to keep the amounts down for a puppy - the 'cubes' of liver can be sliced into smaller portions, which also makes it last longer.
If you feed your pup dried food just use that as opposed to buying packets of treats.

Liz
27-Mar-06, 19:10
As Madpict said if you use dried puppy food just use that to save money.

If not Barker and Barker Liver Treats are really good and can be broken into really small pieces. You can get them from www.simplyK9.co.uk

connieb19
27-Mar-06, 19:12
My wee doggie loves sausages as a treat!!:grin:

MadPict
27-Mar-06, 19:13
...of course, if you feed tinned food, it can make a mess of your pockets...[lol]

Again, Matthesons Smoked Pork sausage is usually well received by dogs - chopped up into small pieces...

dawncw
27-Mar-06, 20:55
Hi, thanks for the advice, i will give the dried liver a try and see how it goes!

Thanks again

Fran
28-Mar-06, 02:15
I always used dogs chocolate drops, one for the pup and one for me!!!

Julia
28-Mar-06, 10:34
Liver cake is a firm favourite with most dogs and no doubt suitable for young pups too!

Liver Cake Recipe
Approx. 375g of Liver
2 eggs
2-4 cloves garlic
1 cup of SR flour

Whiz liver, eggs and garlic in a food processor - mix in the self-raising flour. Spread out thinly on a large baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes in a moderate oven. Cool and chop. Freezes well too.

rich
28-Mar-06, 16:40
I can't wait to try the liver cake recipe. I might even give the dog some. I have always found that peanut butter is a real winner. Just remember never give your dog chocolate - it's a poison for dogs