PDA

View Full Version : Top restaurant?

Loch not Lock
17-Aug-09, 11:18
What do you consider to be Thurso's best eating place, taking price, quality of produce and ambience into consideration? Thank you.:confused

octane
17-Aug-09, 11:22
Just experiment yourself as some people on here will swear by the one whilst others will just slate it because they had a chip that was slightly too crunchy or a tomato that wasnt red enough etc

igglepiggle
17-Aug-09, 11:29
i would reccommend the Bistro or castletown hotel. heading to the bistro next weekend, it is a nice and relaxed atmosphere.

henry20
17-Aug-09, 11:31
Personally, my first choice would be Le Bistro, but I also like the Holborn for food, but have never eaten in the restaurant.

Lavenderblue2
17-Aug-09, 12:40
I would vote for Le Bistro, local produce prepared on the premises.

The lamb cutlets, fried onions with mushrooms are delicious - last week it was leg steaks instead of chops, not quite as good.

pinkandglittery2
17-Aug-09, 14:36
The captains galley is amazing, maybe a little expensive but its all fresh fish and somthin different and the settings are lovely, its a whole night out when u go there, very relaxing also... thats provided you like fish of course, although they do have a non fish choice every night.

Thumper
17-Aug-09, 17:10
Thurso does seem to lack in "fine dining" places,but Le Bistro is good!Cant say about captains galley as I cant stand fish,Upperdeck is good too-or can be.We really could do with a really nice place where the food is great,ambience is great and price is worthy of the meal x

pinkandglittery2
17-Aug-09, 17:15
i also like the ulbster arms in halkirk, but thats not thurso, and u cant have a drink if u have to drive there, but the sunday carvery is lovely.

Fluff
17-Aug-09, 17:59
Le Bistro is amazing. I always try to eat there at least once when I am up. The owner is a lovely lady too

dragonfly
17-Aug-09, 18:29
The Red Pepper (Holborn) is excellent. Eaten there a couple of times now and not disappointed, last time we went was for my birthday, both of us had sirloin steaks and they were much better and cheaper than the Upper Deck, plus its in town too so no transport probs with getting home after a glass or two of wine

christina
17-Aug-09, 18:31
Le Bistro is my favourite was really impressed:D when we went it was really busy every table was taken. The service was excellent and the food was really good really fast service for being so busy.

gollach
17-Aug-09, 18:33
The captains galley is amazing, maybe a little expensive but its all fresh fish and somthin different and the settings are lovely, its a whole night out when u go there, very relaxing also... thats provided you like fish of course, although they do have a non fish choice every night.

And it's a really filling plate of food you get from them....as long as you eat before you go there.

ShelleyCowie
17-Aug-09, 21:34
Le bistro do a mean steak! Brilliant! :D But i also like Y-Not. Every time i have been in there the food has been excellent! Not over-priced either.

joxville
17-Aug-09, 21:49
It's high time Thurso got a Pizza Hut.

twiglet
17-Aug-09, 21:52
Le Bistro is good but I also like the Pentland and The Pavillion. Wouldn't eat at several places in the town, just call me picky, lol. I agree Jox and a KFC!

chuckie
17-Aug-09, 21:54
I dont think there is any where I could say off the top of my head I would like to go for a special meal out in thurso?

We go to Y-Not, Upperdeck & Ulbster but thats for a every day meal

They are normaly consistant and do put in the effort.

joxville
17-Aug-09, 21:56
Le Bistro is good but I also like the Pentland and The Pavillion. Wouldn't eat at several places in the town, just call me picky, lol. I agree Jox and a KFC!

Ha ha, I had a KFC yesterday. Mwah mwah. :cool:

golach
17-Aug-09, 22:01
Ha ha, I had a KFC yesterday. Mwah mwah. :cool:
Have never tasted Colonel Saunders KFC's are they any good?

chuckie
17-Aug-09, 22:07

mmmmmm they are tasty, they are way better than Burger King, and Mankie-Donalds

They are my fave as well as Pizza Hut

Bobinovich
17-Aug-09, 22:53
Le bistro do a mean steak! Brilliant! :D But i also like Y-Not. Every time i have been in there the food has been excellent! Not over-priced either.

Was in the Y-Not less than 2 weeks ago - a Friday at about 5.45pm with a visiting friend. I'd been enthusing about the place for ages so we went in and he looked at the menu (I already knew what I was having!) only to be told that they had no food! Yep, NO FOOD, at tea time on a Friday! We ended up going to the Central where he had a mac & cheese, and I had a massive (and delicious) all day breakfast :D

It's high time Thurso got a Pizza Hut.

Pizza Hut died for me when they stopped doing the spicy chicken topping :(

joxville
17-Aug-09, 22:59
If you like fast food occassionally then it's one of the better places to go, and you can ask for boneless chicken too.

Tinkerbell09
17-Aug-09, 23:07
I quite enjoy the Weigh Inn's food, and the Pentland, there not that badly priced either. On the odd occation do you get disappointed tho.

crayola
18-Aug-09, 00:05
I quite enjoy the Weigh Inn's food, and the Pentland, there not that badly priced either. On the odd occation do you get disappointed tho.I was at the Weigh Inn recently and I quite enjoyed the food too.

The service on the other hand was truly abominable. The place was relatively quiet but we still had to wait almost an hour for our meals. That was bad enough but the couple at the next table had been waiting over an hour when they were told they had run out of the haddock that the man had ordered. He was then asked if he would like to order something else instead. The couple later told us they had waited one hour and five minutes for their starters and they were still waiting for their main courses when we left some time later.

I should add that the young waitress who tried to sort out the mess was extremely helpful and apologetic.

sweetpea
18-Aug-09, 00:24
Places I won't eat in Thurso because if I go out for a meal I want something different.

Red Pepper - totally eratic
Upper Deck - can cook a better steak at home
Captains Galley - creel bait (mucho cheapness)
Pentland - lidl pasta sauce (can get at home)

Places I will eat

Bistro
Weigh Inn

Others not tried so can't comment.

Anne x
18-Aug-09, 00:30
Holburn Bar or Red Pepper
Ulbster
Forse

Kenneth
18-Aug-09, 09:46
THE CENTRAL!!!!!!!

Although I am somewhat biased saying this...

Dog-eared
18-Aug-09, 17:09
Bistro
Park hotel
Castletown hotel
Forss House hotel
Tempest Cafe
The french place in Wick

daviddd
18-Aug-09, 17:18
The Holborn sunday lunch is very good value - 2 courses for under a tenner and very professionally presented. The surfiers place is also good - nice atmosphere; friendly staff in both these places.

BINBOB
18-Aug-09, 17:24
Castletown hotel...A1...;)

openminder
18-Aug-09, 18:23
Was in the Y-Not less than 2 weeks ago - a Friday at about 5.45pm with a visiting friend. I'd been enthusing about the place for ages so we went in and he looked at the menu (I already knew what I was having!) only to be told that they had no food! Yep, NO FOOD, at tea time on a Friday! We ended up going to the Central where he had a mac & cheese, and I had a massive (and delicious) all day breakfast :D

Pizza Hut died for me when they stopped doing the spicy chicken topping :(

Eating out in caithness, is quite hard to find,, there is a lot of competition on the go,, i like the bistro,, also if looking for a quick lunch i like the tempest surf cafe,, at the harbour,, do a good sweet chilli chicken wrap,,Mmm:Razz

the_big_mac
18-Aug-09, 18:35
I cant believe the amount of people that like the bistro?! It probably would come in last place on my list next to the Chinese beside Sandra's! Having ate there a few times I've never been impressed and always disappointed. Particularly since its a hefty price to pay for very mediocre ingredients, little imagination and poor execution. Any place that will serve any kinda of steak on a sizzle plate clearly hasn't a clue.

Captains Galleys excellent, I have no problem paying the price ( on special occasions! ) since the ingredients and cooking are both excellent, the meal is an evening in itself and the service is second to none.

Red pepper is ok. Have had two excellent meals there, and I mean excellent. But have also had two pretty poor meals, not so poor that I would feel the need to complain, but in comparison to previous visits. They have a very good ethos on the kind of food they serve and source, which I think has been overlooked by many. Hows about some more local game on the menu Buggy Racer

Park Hotel is also good, although last time I was there the pate was very bitter indicating poor execution from the chef. However the portions are massive for the price and generally well prepared and presented.

Havent managed to eat in Why not yet, although my friends swear by it for a good meal before a night out.

Upperdeck is unfortunalty extremely over priced for the quality, quantity and skill level. The best steak i've ever had was in a chain resteraunt in the centre of Paris (notoriously expensive) and the whole meal, inclueding a fois gras starter, cocktails, wine and pudding was half the price you would pay in there. Big plates and sprinkel of parsley does not justify a near 500% mark up.

Forse House is also very good, although on one visit I had a sticky toffee pudding that was a ready made frozen jobby from 3663/Brakes! The same thing you get in the Central for a couple of quid! Poor show.

The Craggen in Melness is certainly my favourite resteraunt, though a fair old trek to go for a meal.

Tempest is also worth a mention. Local ingredients cooked well and served in a very relaxed atmosphere. Cant go wrong with that. Shame there are not more places up here doing similar.

Over all I think there are just too many places relaying on cheap frozen ready preppared brakesbrothers rubbish. But if thats what people want, and are happy to pay for, then thats what we will always get.

arana negra
28-Aug-09, 22:05
Just spent two days in the area.

Dinner on Thursday evening at the Le Bistro, went in to book the lady was very welcoming and helpful, we booked a table. Went back and got same welcome, service very good, food was different, well presented and cooked, very tasty. Staff polite, helpful and attentive. Quiet buzz to the place lovely ambience. Would go back, in fact was going to tonight but time was shorter as we leave in the morning. Would reccommend. In hingsight should have gone though.

Today coffee and lunch in the Pentland, polite friendly staff, our friends arrived we ordered lunch, hot tasty soup, good plate of scampi. Comfortable easy time, would recommend.

Tonight, The Red Pepper, started off well enough, waited for table to be set, called through, ordered, long wait enquired where meal was was told they were very busy. Asked again after about 40 mins, lady said she would find out, staff came and went and then our food arrived. No further explaination given. Food was well presented, very disappointing, fish over cooked, steak over cooked mushroom under done. When asked if meal was okay we said no and explained why. Offer of free round of drinks which we declined, offered a chance to talk to chef when finished... offered sweet menu declined.

Chef proceeded to accuse us of stressing his staff, of being rude and telling us they were very busy serving two places, they only have 6 burners and ours was put on back burner, if we asked for steak well done then it was to be expected it would dry, fish poached 2/3 mins then left to rest if that was overdone then he would be serving raw fish, he was arrogant and rude and patronising. Churned out excuse after excuse not at all revelant to our situation. Would not go back nor reccommend on the basis of that experience.

crayola
29-Aug-09, 12:38
... offered sweet menu declined.
'Are yous wantin' sweets?' :lol:

I find the service in Thurso eateries to be well-intentioned but disorganised and amateurish. The quote above is representative and I've heard it in three separate establishments.

784pete
02-Sep-09, 04:34
What do you consider to be Thurso's best eating place, taking price, quality of produce and ambience into consideration? Thank you.:confused
CASTLETOWN HOTEL without doubt