PDA

View Full Version : A little help, please

Sandra_B
17-Aug-09, 08:22
I bought a lamp on Friday. Took it home, put a bulb in, checked it and then used it to read by on Friday night. Saturday night I switched it on and the bulb blew immediately. Bought new bulbs on Sunday, fitted it, checked it, used it Sunday night. Switched it on this morning and the bulb went again. Any ideas why this is happening?

Venture
17-Aug-09, 08:34
I'm not up on electrics Sandra but have you checked that you are using the right wattage of bulb. Sometimes lamps only use a 40 or 60 watt bulb. If you are using the right bulb then there might be a fault in the lamp itself. I'd take it back to the shop.

Sandra_B
17-Aug-09, 08:47
The lamp says it takes a 60 watt bulb so that's what I used. Maybe I should try a 40?

golach
17-Aug-09, 09:01
I would suggest you take the lamp back, it seems faulty

Gizmo
17-Aug-09, 09:04
Give the lamp to a friend to use for a few days, if the bulbs burst with them, take the lamp back to the shop you bought it from (along with all the burst bulbs), if the problem doesn't happen at your friends, it's probably your electrics at fault.

Loch not Lock
17-Aug-09, 10:52
Take it back to the Charity shop.

Messi10
17-Aug-09, 13:01
Take it back to the Charity shop.

ouch.....................

Sandra_B
17-Aug-09, 13:42
It didn't come from a charity shop. But thanks for your help.

Sandra_B
17-Aug-09, 14:01
Thanks all, for the real advice. I'm so disappointed because it is the perfect lamp for the room...

Loch not Lock
17-Aug-09, 14:18
It didn't come from a charity shop. But thanks for your help.
Sorry for that Sandra B, I just couldn't resist it. Try an energy saving bulb to see if the same happens.

Gene Hunt
17-Aug-09, 14:24
Sorry for that Sandra B, I just couldn't resist it. Try an energy saving bulb to see if the same happens.

I would be wary of trying an enery saving bulb if the lamp is popping all the bulbs used. I had the energy saving bulb in our kitchen detonate on me and I am just glad I wasnt standing underneath it !! .. shards of it were found on the opposite side of the kitchen.

Loch not Lock
17-Aug-09, 14:33
I would be wary of trying an enery saving bulb if the lamp is popping all the bulbs used. I had the energy saving bulb in our kitchen detonate on me and I am just glad I wasnt standing underneath it !! .. shards of it were found on the opposite side of the kitchen.
Also a good job you were not on the opposite side of the kitchen.

Kodiak
17-Aug-09, 15:13
By your description it sounds like the Lamp has a Intermittant Short Circuit and I would suggest you take it back ASAP to the Retailer where you bought it from. Explain to them what has happened and that the lamp is not of Mercahntable Quality and that due to this you would like a refund.

matelot79
17-Aug-09, 19:15
By your description it sounds like the Lamp has a Intermittant Short Circuit

If the lamp had any kind of short circuit, the fuse in the plug top would blow and/or if you have circuit breakers in your fuse box it would trip the one supplying the sockets the lamp was plugged into.

Aaldtimer
17-Aug-09, 19:23
Faulty batch of bulbs?:confused

joxville
17-Aug-09, 19:31
Take the lamp back to the shop and ask for a refund. Redecorate room and buy a new lamp to match. Job's a good 'un. :)

Sandra_B
18-Aug-09, 11:06
I put in a 40 watt bulb and plugged lamp into a different socket. No problems so far. Keep your fingers crossed.

Sandra_B
18-Aug-09, 11:07
Take the lamp back to the shop and ask for a refund. Redecorate room and buy a new lamp to match. Job's a good 'un. :)

Much as I like this plan I don't think my husband would be too pleased...