PDA

View Full Version : Dichotomy

Aaldtimer
17-Aug-09, 03:51
I think this will be a great benefit for the lads involved, but it really angers me that it should take the involvement of charitable organisations to make it happen...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8201843.stm

David Banks
22-Aug-09, 18:45
I think this will be a great benefit for the lads involved, but it really angers me that it should take the involvement of charitable organisations to make it happen...

I agree Aaldtimer.
One of the few causes being championed by Michelle Obama is care for veterans and their families. A similar champion is apparently needed in Scotland, and I hope one or more is found.
Irrespective of one's views on the 'necessity' of wars, one has to consider the "ordinary" Joe or Josephine who volunteers his or her life for our protection. When it comes to the use of taxpayers money, proper long term care for them should be near the top of the list, and it should be seen as a solemn committment from the people.
I was just reading the "flap" over trams in Edinburgh on the org. Such costs, and the open chequebook apparently available for cost overruns should be much further down the priority list.
[Sorry if I have my understanding of responsibilities of different levels of government mixed up.]